Author Topic: Specific Carbohydrate Diet [ SCD ] Recipes & FAQs: Phase 1  (Read 7652 times)

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
Specific Carbohydrate Diet [ SCD ] Recipes & FAQs: Phase 1
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:49 AM »
I didn't see a thread on SCD recipes so I thought I would start one.  During the first phase of the diet most of the intro recipes will be dairy free and nut free, since you are not suppossed to add nuts or nut flour until like month three or so.  The recipes will be free of rice or potatoes also.  It seems like in the beginning that there will be nothing to eat, but I can assure that if my son didn't starve, you won't either ;) 

Banana pancakes
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 egg(we use duck eggs since my son can't tolerate chicken eggs)
butter for frying(we don't use butter yet, we use duck fat for frying)

Beat ingredients together,
Drop on a greased pan and brown over medium heat.
Turn and brown other side.
Serve hot with honey
Yes, that easy.

"Spaghetti" and Sauce
1lb. ground beef
1 large can tomato juice(48 oz-make sure that it is additive free, although, citric acid is fine)
3-4 fresh tomatoes, if available
1 large onion
1-2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of oregano
1 TBSP olive oil
salt& pepper to taste
1 spaghetti squash

sauce:
Chop onion and garlic and brown oil in a heavy skillet. Remove onion, set aside, and brown meat in the same pan.  Transfer meat and onion to large pot and add tomato juice, bay leaf, oregano and seasonings.
Simmer to desired thickeness; this may take 1 hour or longer.

Spaghetti Squash:
Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
Steam on a rack over boiling water in a large covered pan or steamer until just tender.  Do not overcook as squash can become too soft and watery.
Lift out strings of "spaghetti" from squash with a fork.
Serve smothered in hot spaghetti sauce.
Cheese may be used if you have gotten to that point in the diet(Parmesan or romano-only natural)
The spaghetti sauce may also be used to top boiled white navy beans or another type of squash(zucchini, butternut, hubbard)

Homemade mayo
May be made in a blender or food processor(using steel blade).  If made in processor, recipe can be doubled.  However, the recipe cannot be doubled if a blender is used; it will not thicken properly.

1whole egg
1-1 1/4 cups of oil
1 TBSP white vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
salt and pepper to taste
a little honey (optional, I dont' usually add it until it is already completely mixed up and set.)

Any veg oil or a combination of oils may be used.
Process in blender or processor for a few seconds: egg, lemon juice(or vinegar), and mustard.
While the machine is running, add the oil in a fine stream.
Do not add oil quickly; it should take at least 60 seconds.
As mayo thickens, the sound of the machine will deepen.

Homemade chicken nuggets
Grind up about 1 lb. of chicken. Add about 1/2 a cup(more or less didn't really measure it out) of homemade mayo after chicken is grinded up.  Next add the mayo and blend(if using a food processor, the is the easiest thing to use for me ;D) Make sure your oven preheated to 350 degrees.  Grease a cookie sheet or other pan of your choice.  Form nuggets with a spoon or your hands.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  I think this recipe makes about 16 nuggets or so.  You can also add honey or mustard if desired.

The kids just love these, and they are so easy to make.  I have even used just oil when I didn't have any mayo.

Hope these beginning recipes are helpful for anyone trying this diet.  These recipes would be for the first stage of the diet.

Misty
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:36:56 AM by healthybratt »
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
Re: Specific Carbohydrate Diet [ SCD ] Recipes & FAQs: Phase 1
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:41 AM »
Vegetable Meat Loaf(Phase 1 okay)

1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 egg
1 med fresh tomatoe or 1/2 cup tomato juice
1 med onion, cut in pieces
sprig of parsley
1 stalk of celery, cut in pieces
small amount of green pepper
1 carrot, cut in pieces

Place tomato or tomato juice into blender first.  Push down on tomato to release juices so that blender blades will turn easily.
Add egg and blend for a few seconds.
Add remaining vegies and blend until fairly smooth.
Empty blender contents in bowl and mix well with ground beef(raw not cooked).
Season with salt and pepper.
Form mixture into a loaf and place in a shallow pan.
Spread homemade quick ketchup
Bake in 350 oven for about 1 hour

Quick Ketchup
2 cups tomato juice
1-3 tbsp white vinegar
honey to taste
bay leaf(optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients except sweetner and simmer on stove until thick, stirring often to prevent sticking.
When almost the desired thickness, add sweetner to taste and complete cooking.
Ladle into sterilized jars and seal immediately or place in small containers and freeze.

Baked Acorn Squash(My son's favorite)
1 acorn squash
a little honey
grated orange rind(1/4 teaspoon for each squash half)

Cut acorn squash in half and use 1/2 squash for each serving.  Scoop out seed cavity of each squash half.
Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 until a dull knife goes through squash easily(45-60 minutes depending on squash size)
Turn face up and dot with butter(if you can tolerate butter, we skip this part) honey, and grated orange rind.  Return to oven and bake another 15-30 minutes at 350.

Carrot Curls
This recipe may be used as a substitute for potato chips or when something crispy is desired.
Using a potato peeler, make curls out of about 3 carrots.
Deep fry in oil until they turn golden brown.
Drain in al colander or strainer.  Refrigerate oil for next batch.(Do not use oil more than 3 times as it may become rancid.)
Turn carrot curls onto a paper towel and pat dry.
Salt to taste.

French Fried Turnips
1 medium-sized yellow turnip, peeled
1/3 cup veg oil

Cut turnip into pieces the size of french fries.
Pour oil into large pan and place cut turnip pieces into pan.
Rub oil over surfaces of turnip pieces.
Bake in hot oven 400 for about 1 hour or until turnips are well browned and cooked through. You can also pan fry them(cut into pieces like potatoes)

These recipes are all for SCD Diet phase one.  Hope you enjoy.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline Amos

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
Thank you for those recipes. Everything sounds great!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:20:30 AM »
 :)  No problem.  Once you get started on the diet, it's really not that much extra cooking.  It has become a part of our life now. 

Misty