Author Topic: Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement  (Read 101018 times)

YoopreMama

Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement
« on: October 10, 2008, 04:19:40 AM »
All righty... ;D

I hope this can be akin to the Master Cleanse Log...where those on anti-yeast diets can check in for support, post struggles and success, and ask ?s of others on anti-candida diets.

We've been discussing doing this on the Fighting Candida While Nursing/PG thread, as well as Shabby's 40 day Anti-Yeast Cleanse for Nursing Mamas thread.

A couple of us are planning to do a "slower/more gentle" version, as we are nursing wee ones, and want the die-off to be less intense.  Some are following more of a Maker's Diet plan.  All are welcome!   ;D

This site has the plan that some nursing moms (myself included) are beginning.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com

It has VERY good information, IMO, and she's not selling anything.  ;)   There are menu plans, recipes, and articles on anti-yeast plans for babies and children.  She's been cited several times on WTM.   :)

Here's the general plan from her site:
(Jemima--will you do Pau d'Arco?  I'm not clear if that's the one that dries up milk--thought it was the black walnut...will have to check.)

Example Program for Making Changes:
1.   Start eliminating some A. Sugars that feed candida (below), and at the same time start to increase good fats, i.e. butter, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil, and protein (if your intake was quite low), Do not increase proteins more than you increase good fats try to keep a balance of 20% protein to 60% fat. If your protein intake was high you might need to lower it temporarily until you can increase your fats enough. If there are not enough fats in ratio to proteins it will cause constipation. If you increase protein without good fats you can also get sick, including an upset stomach. It is more important to get your fat ratios up to recommended levels than to increase protein too fast. Keeping the correct ratios of fats to proteins will become more important as you lower your carbs.

2.   Continue eliminating A. Sugars and start eliminating B. Dairy Products (below), as well as continuing to increase good fats, protein only if required. Also start eliminating man-made vegetable oils and fats (except olive oil).

3.   Continue eliminating A. Sugars, B. Dairy and work on eliminating some foods listed under C. High carb foods. Since it is more difficult to increase fats than proteins, concentrate on increasing good fats, even if you have to eat it by the tablespoon with meals.

4.   At this point you should have eliminated all of A. Sugars, and B. Dairy. Continue eliminating more foods listed under C. High Carb Foods (below) and continue increasing good saturated fats. If your fat intake is lagging do not increase protein until you are able to obtain enough good fats. Also eliminate all soybean or soy products of any kind and start eliminating all processed foods.

5. At this point you should have eliminated A, Sugars, B. Dairy and C. High Carb Foods. Now start eliminating D. High carb/sugar vegetables. At the same time work on increasing good saturated fats and continue eliminating all processed foods and also eliminate all sources of yeast, fungi and molds.

6.   At this point you should have eliminated A, Sugars, B. Dairy, C. High Carb Foods and D. High carb/sugar vegetables. Eliminate D. Seeds and Nuts. At the same time work on increasing good saturated fats and continue eliminating all processed foods.

7.   At this point you should have eliminated all foods that feed candida and all man-made oils and fats, soy, and most processed foods. Hopefully you are now getting enough fats so you can eat the amount of protein recommended.

8.   Now you can start taking essential supplements . Start with low doses and gradually increase them. If you have problems taking some of them cut back on the dose or spread out the amounts taken more throughout the day, i.e. taking smaller doses more frequently. Ensure you have supplements with meals, and that you take hydrochloric acid supplements (HCl) to help digest them. If you get nauseated on supplements, increase the amount of HCl. When you start on cod liver oil or fish oil add them to your total fat intake.

9.   Antifungals , When to Start on Them - After you are completely following the entire diet and taking all of the essential supplements, AND you have gotten through some of the worst "die-off" symptoms, you are ready to start on antifungals. Some people must be on the diet up to 6 months before they can tolerate antifungals. Only take one antifungal, other than coconut oil, which is part of the diet, and Pau D'Arco Tea (a mild antifungal that also detoxifies). The best antifungal is raw crushed certified organic garlic, and close runners up are oil of oregano or clove oil. Always start at a low dose and gradually increase them. If you experience too many die-off symptoms try taking smaller doses more often during the day. If the symptoms are too intolerable you might have to stop taking it for awhile longer, staying on the diet and supplements. Some people need to be on them 3 to 6 months before they can tolerate another antifungal. You try again later.

10.   Probiotics, When to Start on Them - Once you are no longer having severe die-off symptoms from the antifungal you can start on probiotics see the main article "How to Successfully Overcome Candida" for a full explanation. At this point in time you are doing all 4 Steps of the candida program at the same time, and you would continue doing all 4 Steps until you have cured your candida.

Foods that Feed Candida
A.   All sugars, artificial sugar or sugar substitutes (except stevia), and sources of sugars, including fruits (except lemons), honey, maple syrup and any foods and supplements that contain sugar.
B.   All dairy products, except butter, butter oil and ghee (clarified butter), including cheese, milk, cream, buttermilk, kefir, yogurt, etc. Most candida sufferers do not respond favorably to kefir and yogurt, even when it homemade from raw dairy, so it is best to eliminate them.
C.   High carb foods such as starches, grains and legumes (plants with seed pods), including breads, cereal, pasta, pizza, cereal, baked goods, peas and beans from seed pods, potatoes, etc.
D.   High carb/sugar vegetables, i.e. beats, squash, corn, parsnips, sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, etc.
E.   All seeds and nuts.

Please see a thorough explanation of these foods in the article "How to Successfully Overcome Candida" so you understand why these foods feed candida.

Bee's Candida Control Diet
(consists of 3 food groups:  proteins, fats & carbs)
   Moderate protein from animal meats, eggs and seafood. Eggs are one of the most perfect foods you can eat, particularly raw certified organic free-range eggs see Bee's raw egg drink in the Recipe Folder.
   High "good" fats and oils, including oil soluble vitamins and omega-3 essential fatty acids, such as naturally occurring fats in meats, eggs and seafood, coconut oil, butter, lard, etc. These "good" fats do not create body fat; man-made vegetable fats and oils and carbs DO. They also do not cause cholesterol problems the cholesterol theory is totally false see the article "How to Successfully Overcome Candida" for more information on this.
   Eliminate all "bad" and damaging man-made fats and oils, which is all vegetable oils other than extra virgin olive oil, such as Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Wesson Oil, Crisco, margarines, etc. they are all man-made fats and oils which act like plastic (toxic) to the body. You wouldn't melt plastic and eat it, nor should you damage your health by eating these plastic oils and fats.
   Eliminate all sources of soybeans and soybean products, which are very damaging to the body.
   Eliminate all processed foods.
   Eliminate yeast, mold and fungi contained in foods and the environment Candida overgrowth can greatly increase the chances of a reaction to all types and forms of yeast, mold and fungi - see the list in the article "How to Successfully Overcome Candida".
   Eat low carbohydrates, which are all foods that are not classified as protein or fats. Only eat low carb vegetables see handy lists in the "Candida Diet" Folder for all of the foods and vegetables recommended.
   Eliminates toxic sources as much as possible, i.e. over-the-counter drugs and other medical drugs, even hormone replacement, blood pressure pills, anti-depressants, etc. Gradually cut back on taking them as you start on the Immune Building part of the diet. Also eliminate all Teflon cookware, plastics, toxic body care and household cleaning products, household molds, etc. Do not microwave any foods or beverages, not even water. Irradiation and microwaving damages the body's blood cells. Synthetic carpets are also toxic and may require many shampoos before getting rid of the worst toxic effects.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/intro1.php

Offline InEverything

• Adept
Re: Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
I am on the team and cheering for you!!  :) :) :) I am starting the Maker's Diet today. My hope is to eliminate hypoglycemia/ candida issues.  I am not eliminating pork, however, and I don't plan on buying all of the supplements.  I will eventually need some sort of probiotic and probably cod liver oil when my budget allows.
I will praying for the ladies in this thread.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:02:55 AM »
This is great! Well, breakfast went well...  :D  Scrambled eggs and toast w/butter and cinnamon.  Feels strange not to have any fruit w/breakfast!

Snacks are my downfall, I think.  I always keep homemade cookies on hand for hubby's lunch, so it's way too easy to grab one when I'm feeling hungry.  I think I'll start keeping washed, cut-up veggies in the fridge for munching.  Nuts are good... Maybe I can find some sugar-free, natural peanut butter for celery sticks... 

What are you all eating?

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
Sadly, nothing!  I don't want to blow it and don't know what to eat.......  Fasting for few hours won't hurt me I guess.  ;) :P 

Jemima, do you own a food processor?  We have made our own PB in the past and it is easy and good.  Just whir your peanuts until they are of powder consistency and add your oil through the drop-at-a-time attachment.

Praying for everyone!
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:21:18 AM »

What are you all eating?

Things are different for me since I am not nursing... for breakfast I had bacon and eggs and for lunch I am planning on kippered snacks and maybe peas with butter.  I will be buying some more almonds to keep on hand, cut up vegetables is a great idea.  I am also drinking lots of water with lemon and sea salt. Yum! :)
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »
Welcome, InEverything  ;D.  I appreciate your prayers.  :)  I am also not eliminating pork.  I had blueberries today...I may keep them for now, we'll see.  I've already cut other groups back so much (dairy, bread, etc.)...I don't want to "cheat", but want to do this the best that I reasonably can.  I'm sure I'll wean off of them at some point.  The water is good?   ???

Jemima--Will you eventually forego peanuts for almonds?  I've made my own nut butter, too--cheaper, for sure.  I had fried eggs and homemade yogurt w/ blueberries and stevia.  Parting w/ dairy completely will be hard, but not impossible, I know.  Soup w/ veggies and quinoa...homemade broth, bacon, too.

Will do CLO, aloe vera, EVCO, my multivitamin, MAYBE the electrolyte drink mentioned, and garlic...for now.   Bea mentioned one other antifungal in addition to the garlic and EVCO...that would be cloves for me, b/c of nursing, but I don't think right now...
I am on the team and cheering for you!!  :) :) :) I am starting the Maker's Diet today. My hope is to eliminate hypoglycemia/ candida issues.  I am not eliminating pork, however, and I don't plan on buying all of the supplements.  I will eventually need some sort of probiotic and probably cod liver oil when my budget allows.   I will praying for the ladies in this thread.
Yeah, snacks are going to be hard.  Frozen blueberries and almond butter (not together)...raw veggies...will have to look at her list.  Blue corn tortilla chips?  I don't miss fruit so much...maybe cranberry juice and stevia in club soda b/w meals?  Flax seed or brown rice crackers w/ PB?  That mint/stevia/cocoa/ice drink Shabby mentioned?  I hope the egg smoothie is like egg nog.   :D

This is great! Well, breakfast went well...  :D  Scrambled eggs and toast w/butter and cinnamon.  Feels strange not to have any fruit w/breakfast!

Snacks are my downfall, I think.  I always keep homemade cookies on hand for hubby's lunch, so it's way too easy to grab one when I'm feeling hungry.  I think I'll start keeping washed, cut-up veggies in the fridge for munching.  Nuts are good... Maybe I can find some sugar-free, natural peanut butter for celery sticks... 

What are you all eating?

Hi, AM25!  EAT!  :D  [Before you binge (well, I would ::)].  LOL.  Have you thought about just dropping fruit/sugar now or are you going drastic?  :o

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »
Hi Jen!  My worst binge time is at night!  If I can get the kids fed and escape to my room I am good, otherwise...... ::) :-[ 
I woke up and felt a little overwhelmed with everything.  I am never hungry in the morning so I decided to start my supplements with lunch.  We sort of skipped lunch at the regular hour and are getting it ready now.  ;) ;D

Okay, my first day's supplements looked like this:

1 tsp chlorophyll in water
2 droppers of wormwood complex in water
2 paratox caps
3 aloe vera caps
1 ultra immune
1 8 Billion acidophilus and bifidus

All taken with 24 oz. of water around 2:00.

I am going to eat an omelet with no cheese  :'( and add some mushrooms, gr. pepper, onion, and tomato fried in butter.

Before my meal I will be taking:

40 drops propolis extract
2 optimal digestive tract
2 bromelain

With my meal I will be taking:

1 supermom
2 omega balance
3 EPO
1 milk thistle
1 cod liver oil
2 liver detoxifier and regenerator
2 yeast assassin
1 alpha lipoic acid
5 chlorella

I take all of these with another 24 oz. of water.

Now I have a ??  Can you girls give me another idea for a drink with some kind of fruit juice and soda water?  I have lemons.  Would that be good?  I have no stevia, because what I can find is only 1% and has some other ingredient.  Is that how it is there?  If so, I would gladly buy some!

Jen, I am overweight and I am not pregnant or nursing.  :'(  So I guess I SHOULD be really drastic!  :o ::)  Even though it is going to be quite a challenge to come up with menus and keep the fats high and not the proteins.  I just need ideas and options..............

Praying everyone has a successful day!
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
Hello  :),

I want to try this.  I am nursing an almost four week old.  I want to lose weight, stabilize blood sugar, reduce/discontinue dairy, and treat candida if that is the cause of my weight problem.  I'm hoping to be off dairy and nuts by monday.  

Do any of you have a carb max per day?  I'm trying to stay under 40 and maybe lower that goal if I don't lose weight.  I know getting off of dairy will help me lose as it has in the past.  

I am having a hard time today.  My diet is not that much different than it has been during the last week.  I seem to have a hard time burning dietary fat for energy or something.  I am drinking tea with a pat of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil in it with meals to keep my fat intake high.  Any ideas for how to encourage my body to burn fat instead of begging for protein and carbs?  Or is it just going to take time?  Or maybe I'm not eating enough fat?  I feel fuzzy headed/foggy brain but when I eat something I am better.  

I am going to get some cabbage this weekend and make the rejuvelac.

I am going to focus on getting my fermented foods intake back up before I think about any antifungals.  I am taking a probiotic, clo, epo, and some minerals already.  Also prego tea for my vits and mins.  I should be adding something to my ro water, maybe some sea salt or prego tea.

Briana

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
I just noticed that cocoa powder and carob are out.  I guess I will be giving those up also starting monday.  I have some low carb chocolate cheesecake and coconut oil chocolate to finish off.   :(  I don't really crave choc. when I am low carb but it is a tasty way to get the coconut oil in.  I might try adding cinnamon and stevia to some coconut oil to make "candy".

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »
I thought carob was good to fight candida

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
I thought carob was good to fight candida
I thought so, too...???

Here's a thread on what others are eating:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/health-medical-issues/580050-candida-yeast-what-you-eating.html

...Now I have a ??  Can you girls give me another idea for a drink with some kind of fruit juice and soda water?  I have lemons.  Would that be good?  I have no stevia, because what I can find is only 1% and has some other ingredient.  Is that how it is there?  If so, I would gladly buy some!

Jen, I am overweight and I am not pregnant or nursing.  :'(  So I guess I SHOULD be really drastic!  :o ::)  Even though it is going to be quite a challenge to come up with menus and keep the fats high and not the proteins.  I just need ideas and options..............Praying everyone has a successful day!
AM25--You ARE aggressive!   :o  I was looking for pure cranberry juice w/ soda water...lemons would be good.  I found French Vanilla liquid Stevia from NOW today.  Really like it...maybe that'll go in iced tea?  I don't think our stevia is mixed w/ anything???.  The site we keep referring has a list of beverage recipes, I think...the sour fruits are allowable in some places (lemons, limes, cranberries)...check out the thread I just posted and then Bea's recipes...we'll help get you through this!   :-*

Hello  :),

I want to try this.  I am nursing an almost four week old.  I want to lose weight, stabilize blood sugar, reduce/discontinue dairy, and treat candida if that is the cause of my weight problem.  I'm hoping to be off dairy and nuts by monday.  

Do any of you have a carb max per day?  I'm trying to stay under 40 and maybe lower that goal if I don't lose weight.  I know getting off of dairy will help me lose as it has in the past.  

I am having a hard time today.  My diet is not that much different than it has been during the last week.  I seem to have a hard time burning dietary fat for energy or something.  I am drinking tea with a pat of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil in it with meals to keep my fat intake high.  Any ideas for how to encourage my body to burn fat instead of begging for protein and carbs?  Or is it just going to take time?  Or maybe I'm not eating enough fat?  I feel fuzzy headed/foggy brain but when I eat something I am better.  

I am going to get some cabbage this weekend and make the rejuvelac.

I am going to focus on getting my fermented foods intake back up before I think about any antifungals.  I am taking a probiotic, clo, epo, and some minerals already.  Also prego tea for my vits and mins.  I should be adding something to my ro water, maybe some sea salt or prego tea.

Briana
Welcome, Briana!  :)  Glad to have you here...You sound really committed.  ;D  I think this will help w/ your issues...I also think the fats will do their work, if you give them time...you will crave your favorites, for sure.  Were you really high on good fats before this?

I don't have a carb max...I'm really trying to just follow the plan and assume my carbs are low.  Anyone else?

Let us know how the rejuvelac goes...you're inspiring!  I like the idea of your "candy", too.   ;)

Here's another recipe thread that's just getting started:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/health-medical-issues/580161-anti-candida-yeast-recipes.html

Picked up blue corn chips--they need salt, but that's OK.  Tried water, lemon juice and salt--that was OK.  Have almonds and almond butter.  Making more soup--kind of a staple, I think and a spinach bacon salad sounds sooo good!  Hoping my taste buds change as everyone promises.   :D

Hang in there!   ;D

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
The no carob was mentioned on Bee's page of what not to eat.  I don't really like carob so much so that's not a big deal for me.  I will miss the occasional chocolate treat though.

I have been slowly increasing my fats since having my baby.  I was not able to eat much the last two months of pregnancy. 

I have a pot of beef broth going.  After it's finished I'll make a pot of something.  Your bacon spinach salad sounds like a good soup idea.  I will have to give up bacon until we get some more nitrate free stuff.  That's another thing I should be doing -broth with lunch and dinner.  It's so good on a cold day.  I like it sprinkled with salt and pepper and sometimes cream.

The chips sound yummy.  None for me though.  I did see a recipe on b's site for garlic chips.  Think I'll try some.  I'm looking at the spinach bread also.  Might be easy for breakfast.

Briana

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
Briana--
Glad you're checking in!  :)

Well, if carob is a no-no, I'm sure cocoa is.   ::)  Thanks for the tip.  I figured if it was a bean pod thingie, it was a no-no.   :D

I stocked up recently on the Hormel Natural bacon...it was $2.50/package...not organic, but at least nitrite free.   :-\

I just ate almond butter w/ the French Vanilla stevia and some cocoa.  Not fabulous, but something.   ;D

Soup's going to be a staple here, I can tell. 

ETA:  Anyone else finding themselves going to the kitchen repeatedly and coming out empty-handed?   ???  I've made many trips there tonight..for a blue corn chip or a handful of nuts or a few blueberries...sigh...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:24:53 PM by Yooper »

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
We have one day down! We can do this!  ;D

You're allowing blueberries, Yooper? I may have to do that too, occasionally. I was wondering if grapefruit would be ok or not -- seems like it wouldn't have much natural sugar.

Well, this morning it's an experiment with the Bee's Egg Drink...   :P Not sure if I'll be able to gulp it down or not.  I looked up a recipe for homemade egg nog, and it's really similar, except egg nog has milk. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add some milk, at this point in the diet. 

Bought some cabbage for the Rejuvelac, also.  Oh, what do you all think about not starting antifungals till later? I'm thinking taking a clove of garlic daily isn't going to hurt anything from the get-go. 

Snacking wasn't too hard yesterday, since I was really busy...  I munched on some carrot sticks, and had a few corn chips when I got really hungry between meals. Boy, do I miss my fruit!! It's in so much stuff. Just skipping sugar seems like it'd be a breeze, now!

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 04:44:03 AM »
We sure can do this (with prayer and support)!  ;D

Yeah...I know blueberries aren't the best  ::), but I justify it w/ the fact that I'm really not eating much of the stuff that I'm going to drop in the next couple of weeks (grains, dairy, potatoes, corn, etc.).  I will wean off of their daily use...  ;)  I wouldn't think grapefruit is bad for now, either as you getting off of sugars...I don't think we should be eating these fruits in a couple of weeks, though...let's keep each other accountable.  ;)

How'd the egg drink go?  Is there coconut milk in it?  I can't recall...I'll make it when I can pick up my local eggs...

Re: antifungals...I think the garlic is great for now...not sure when I'll add the crushed cloves capsules myself...doing the EVCO...waiting on the Pau d'Ardo tea...???

Have to check out that Rejuvelac recipe...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:07:07 AM by Yooper »

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
What do you guys think of using GOOT instead of taking raw garlic?  Taking a whole clove does not make my tummy happy.  I'm using the goot right now anyway to avoid a cold I was exposed to. 

I made the garlic chips before lunch.  They were much better than I thought they would be.  If you slice them thin enough and cook them 'till crisp they taste like a garlic flavored potato chip.  I sprinkled them with some sea salt.  Decent.

I also made the fake cream.  I didn't have ice so it is cooling in the fridge.  It was pretty good.  I'm going to make the spinach bread later today.  I might try the egg drink for a snack this afternoon.  I used to drink raw egg smoothies all the time.  I'll have to come up with some new flavors since strawberry and chocolate are out.  I do love egg nog though. 

The only forbiden foods I'm eating right now are dairy, cocoa powder, and nuts.  I'm making a list of snacks and breakfast ideas for monday. 

I don't know if I will use any antifungals besides garlic in cooking.  I did a candida cleanse two years ago and used candida clear.  I didn't notice a difference. 

Sounds like you two (Yooper & Jemima) are doing well! 

Briana

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »
Hey, Briana!  I think GOOT is fine...I don't know how to equate it to a clove, per say, but I think it's still going to work.  Extra EVCO, too, can't hurt.  :)  Is the garlic on an empty stomach?  Thanks for being our cooking pioneer!   :D  

Are you saying that you don't think the Candida Clear did anything?

Anyone having any detox symptoms?  How are your babies?  Mine is doing well...not fussy, sleeping even better than usual, and skin is good.  My skin is a bit rough, but it could be from that birthday cake last Sunday...my "farewell" to carbs.    :D

Dinner:  Had spaghetti w/ brown rice noodles...nutritional yeast flakes...mmm...

Any of you following your weight?
What do you guys think of using GOOT instead of taking raw garlic?  Taking a whole clove does not make my tummy happy.  I'm using the goot right now anyway to avoid a cold I was exposed to. 

I made the garlic chips before lunch.  They were much better than I thought they would be.  If you slice them thin enough and cook them 'till crisp they taste like a garlic flavored potato chip.  I sprinkled them with some sea salt.  Decent.

I also made the fake cream.  I didn't have ice so it is cooling in the fridge.  It was pretty good.  I'm going to make the spinach bread later today.  I might try the egg drink for a snack this afternoon.  I used to drink raw egg smoothies all the time.  I'll have to come up with some new flavors since strawberry and chocolate are out.  I do love egg nog though. 

The only forbidden foods I'm eating right now are dairy, cocoa powder, and nuts.  I'm making a list of snacks and breakfast ideas for monday. 

I don't know if I will use any antifungals besides garlic in cooking.  I did a candida cleanse two years ago and used candida clear.  I didn't notice a difference. 

Sounds like you two (Yooper & Jemima) are doing well! 

Briana
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3013.msg34191.html#msg34191

FYI:  Start reading here on the Nursing/Detox (vs. the Nursing while on Anti-Candida diet) page...some good points...

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
Yooper,
The raw garlic was with meals. 

I'm hungry.  I think it is just because of nursing and not eating enough at the end of my pregnancy.  It is frustrating though.  Hopefully I will be able to find a way to feel satisfied soon.  Any tips? 

I was going to try lowering my protein in proportion to my fat but now I think I shouldn't limit it.  I probably need more for a time to help my body heal.  I've been too focused on losing some weight and need to focus on building a strong, healthy body and baby instead.  I need to put the scale away for at least a week.  I'm frustrated because I gained two pounds even though I have lowered my carbs.  I know getting off of dairy will help though.  I have seasonal allergies and when I don't eat dairy or grains they hardly bug me. 

I don't think the Candida Clear worked for me.  I may not have been strict with my diet long enough though.  I can't remember how I ate.  I think I was trying different things while I was taking it.  I think I used it for about 3 months.

I am not having detox symptoms but I have been mostly grain free and low carb for the last year.  My baby has been sleeping a little less during the day.  He is still getting lots of milk and spits up after most feedings so I know my supply is good. 

Oh, I made the spinach bread today.  I forgot it was in the oven though and it is burnt.  I did taste a little and it's just like an egg and spinach scramble, just with more spinach.  Don't think I'll make another one.  I am loving the fake cream.  I used some stevia when I made it and it reminds me of a custard.  I have eaten it straight and used it in coffee and tea.  It dissolves well and is cream like in hot drinks.  Next time I'll make part of it unsweetened to use in broth.  I just tried the egg drink.  It is good too.  I'm gonna go look for some more recipes to try. 

Hope everyone is doing well today!   :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »
Did everyone else perish?  :D  Just kidding, I know it's the weekend.  ;)

Had Taco Bell salad for lunch--not the best, but we were meeting an out of town missionary, and I made do.  ;)  Dinner = Parmesan chicken over salad greens/bell peppers, and Parmesan/onion baked potatoes.  Made a great GF pumpkin bread (thanks, R!)...smells good and they love it.

Briana--
I have been hungry, too, at times.  Eating lots of almond butter/almonds (I'll probably keep them indefinitely).  Today's been better--the fat sure helps.  I'm going to keep quinoa and millet, apparently "seed grains" aren't so bad (I"ll quote something from skelliot2 later)--with nursing, those are great grains and I can't give them up for baby.  I think avoiding everything else will be OK.  I think I'm on the long-term plan anyway.  ::)  Grain free and low carbf or the last year--what a GREAT head-start!  I've been mostly GF for the past 17 months...but NOT carb free (I love maple syrup).  ::)

I am going to add aloe vera when it arrives...that was one thing not listed on Bea's site.

I'm only watching the scale to make sure I don't lose too much too fast (an indicator that might not be so good for my boy)...I'm close to pre-PG weight, and below my wedding weight...I think about 12 pounds down would be pretty close to ideal for my height and body type.

If I get bloating, which I read is common, I'll chew fennel.  The Mother's Milk tea, which I try and drink once a day, helps w/ that, too.  My supply seems pretty good.  He's not showing any ill-effects right now.

Anyone making her electrolyte stuff?

I think my French Vanilla stevia will have to go eventually :'(.  The glycerin isn't recommended.  We'll see how much I "need" it.  ;)

I use the overnight soaking method by Sue Gregg for seed grains...to increase the nutritional value.  Would that be a case of "bad" fermenting?

Thanks for your encouragement to us--esp. re: the recipes!  :)

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
Did everyone else perish?  :D
  Just about! :'(  :D Today there was lunch at church, and they had desserts on every table that looked SO yummy!! But I had to pass... *sigh* Not to mention the jello salads with the dinner. (I love jellos)  This isn't fun. But I keep reminding myself of what I'm trying to acheive - getting the candida under control for myself, and possibly for my daughter, but her benefit regardless.

I'm learning some good things though...  One, that when I do go back to "normal" eating, to pick my sweets wisely, and not just eat junk cause it's there... Two, that it has to be a lot easier to be moderate and self-controlled in your choice of food, than to just cut things out entirely.  I'll be reminded how tough it was and (hopefully) not allow myself to get to the point of needing to do this again. (Although, I think if a person eats their share of sweets and typical American food, it would be a good idea to do a yeast cleanse every so often).

Regarding fats -- what are you others actually taking/eating to make it "extra"? I've been taking CLO... which I don't usually take (1 capsule daily) and trying to incorporate coconut oil, but I'm thinking maybe I should be doing a little more. Plus I always use butter on almost everything...

No detox/die-off symptoms yet for me or baby...  (except mild sugar cravings!)  Still running short on ideas for breakfasts and snacks...  I worry that I'm getting enough food for myself and baby -- I don't really have much weight to lose. I went down to pre-preg. weight and 10 lbs below just from nursing - it does that to me!

I can't imagine giving up dairy, at this point!! I think I've increased my breads and cheese/yogurts since starting...  :-\  I'm gonna have to make some menus, I think.

YoopreMama

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Jemima--Ahh...we had church "snacks", too--but we've been passing those up for awhile, being GF (they're pure carbs).  ::)  And if they were tempting, well, the missionaries were talking about eating guinea pig in Ecuador.   :-X

You're right, it's not fun, but in my case, necessary...after antibiotics at birth, formula, and a Scandinavian diet of potatoes and white bread growing up.  :P.  I don't want to be looking at diabetes or cancer later down the road...the skin issue is enough to drive me crazy, but I want my children to not have to deal w/ this, too.
Did everyone else perish?  :D
Just about! :'(  :D Today there was lunch at church, and they had desserts on every table that looked SO yummy!! But I had to pass... *sigh* Not to mention the jello salads with the dinner. (I love jellos)  This isn't fun. But I keep reminding myself of what I'm trying to achieve - getting the candida under control for myself, and possibly for my daughter, but her benefit regardless.

I'm learning some good things though...  One, that when I do go back to "normal" eating, to pick my sweets wisely, and not just eat junk cause it's there... Two, that it has to be a lot easier to be moderate and self-controlled in your choice of food, than to just cut things out entirely.  I'll be reminded how tough it was and (hopefully) not allow myself to get to the point of needing to do this again. (Although, I think if a person eats their share of sweets and typical American food, it would be a good idea to do a yeast cleanse every so often).

Regarding fats -- what are you others actually taking/eating to make it "extra"? I've been taking CLO... which I don't usually take (1 capsule daily) and trying to incorporate coconut oil, but I'm thinking maybe I should be doing a little more. Plus I always use butter on almost everything...

No detox/die-off symptoms yet for me or baby...  (except mild sugar cravings!)  Still running short on ideas for breakfasts and snacks...  I worry that I'm getting enough food for myself and baby -- I don't really have much weight to lose. I went down to pre-preg. weight and 10 lbs below just from nursing - it does that to me!

I can't imagine giving up dairy, at this point!! I think I've increased my breads and cheese/yogurts since starting...  :-\  I'm gonna have to make some menus, I think.
Re: fats...umm...eggs, bacon, butter, butter, butter, the CO, CLO, almonds/almond butter...still some whole milk...and big quantities.

Yeah, menus needed here, too.   :-\  I'm soaking some ground millet for cream of millet tomorrow, and have some quinoa soaking.  That's good in soup--not sure about any other way, yet, other than a cold salad on the quinoa thread.

How about tuna?  Homemade mayo?

Are we trying about a week on each level?  Like next Friday, we'd drop you-know-what?   :'( :'( :'(  [I am SUCH a baby!]

Yoo hoo...InEverything, AM25...still w/ us?   ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
Quote from: skelliott2
...the person I go by is Donna Gates with the body ecology diet.  The reason I like her is:  She focuses heavily on getting good bacteria back in your gut, so the bad yeasts don't come back.  That makes real sense to me.  Also, her diet is used by a lot of autistic children with serious yeast and allergy issues, and it has helped them tremendously.  So, here's what she says in a nutshell:

Allowed:  Meats (unless heavily processed, like bologna or hot dogs), veggies (except white potatoes and corn), Healthy oils: Olive, butter, ghee, coconut, etc. ,  Seed-like grains:  Millet, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat,  also nuts and seeds.  The only fruits allowed at the beginning are sour fruits like lemons, limes, cranberries, and an occasional green apple.

No true grains are allowed, including rice.  Now, after the initial cleanse, whole grains are slowly added back, and brown rice can be one of those. 

The exceptions that are allowed are:  Baked blue corn chips (occasionally), and red potatoes (for some reason, they're not as starchy).  The red potatoes and blue corn chips really helped us survive.  I was doing this diet with four reluctant children, so these things were life savers for us.  :D  Also, milk kefir was allowed, since the kefir grains ate the sugars before you actually drink it. 

She also focuses on getting good probiotics through coconut water kefir, cultured veggies, and cultured milks like kefir and homemade sour cream.  You could probably just take a really good probiotic, though, and get the same result.

Oh, another life saver was flavored stevia.  We'd put these into club soda, either by themselves or with a shot of pure cranberry juice.  It really helps with that need for fizzy yummy drinks.

Yooper, you'd be amazed what you can do with these ingredients.  I found a lot of vegetarian cookbooks, raw cookbooks, and low-carb cookbooks with some great ideas:  For example, you can make a type of breading with ground up millet, and fry up breaded zucchini in coconut or olive oil for a fried snack.  You can make fried croquettes with millet, and french fries or chips with the red potatoes.  So, you don't really have to give up calories to do this, it just takes a lot of thought and work.

So, bottom line:  The true yeast diet gurus don't allow brown rice at the beginning.  But, everyone's unique, and eating meat, veggies and brown rice is pretty healthy, and will allow for a lot of healing in your body.  So, I would say, think about it, then do what you need to do in order to get better!  Let us know how it goes, we'll be rooting for you!
The only thing I'd add is that Bea mentions not using even homemade raw milk yogurt or kefir b/c it changes the milk sugar to galactose.  ???

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
On BED (body ecology diet) you don't have milk kefir 'till after the first phase.  You are also not supposed to eat grains(seeds quinoa, etc) with protein.  When I tried it I didn't eat grains very often because you have to wait a certain amount of time before eating a protein meal.  I was always hungry before then.  So I mostly ate meats and veggies. 

Jemima you could buy unflavored gelatin and make your own jello.  I have done that when I wanted a treat.  I made one with stevia sweetened green tea.  It was nice in the summer.  Can't remember what else I tried.  The fake cream I made turned out a little jelloi-sh.  Kinda jello with a whipped, fluffy texture.  I've been eating it with meals and snacks as an easy way to get extra butter in.

I am trying to eat more raw veggies.  Here's my menu for today.

Breakfast-
I had four pieces of bacon, three eggs scrambled with a T of butter and 1/2 cup of spinach, 1/2 an avocado, a plum tomato, stalk of celery, and green tea with 2T of coconut oil. 

Snack-
2 hard boiled eggs with homemade mayo and a cup of decaf coffee with fake cream, beef broth with 1T butter

Lunch-
ground beef chili, salad, 1 cup cauliflower, 2T homemade kraut, 3/4 cup of fake cream

Snack-
Bee's egg drink.  Oh, I didn't use hot water when I made this, forgot.  I don't want to heat my raw eggs anyway!  I finally felt satisfied after that.  I lasted two hours before eating again.

Snack/pre dinner appetizer-
can of fish steaks in mustard sauce with a stalk of celery, decaf with fake cream

Dinner-
salad with tiny bit fermented beets and oopsie (egg/cream cheese "bread")bread crumbs, 1 cup cauliflower with 1T butter, steak cooked with 2T butter and sauce made by deglazing pan with some beef broth, 2T kraut, Heaping T of fake cream.

Projected evening snacks-
herbal tea with fake cream, leftover steak with mayo and 1t kraut, fake cream, 1T virgin coco oil off the spoon, hopefully that will be enough!

I am 5'9" and overweight so if that seems like a lot of food, that's why.  I felt pretty satisfied today.  I probably should have eaten a larger morning snack though.  I seem to need to eat a lot early in the day and then I feel better at night. 

Briana

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
Yes, Donna Gates does recommend food combining.  that means that you don't eat grains with protein.  But, when I had to think about that as well as everything else, I about went crazy.  So, I just figured as long as the food was right, what difference did it make, except it might be a little harder to digest sometimes.

I was part of a BED e-group for a while (before they started charging $100 to join), and a lot of them didn't follow food combining all the time, either, and they still got the results. 

Maybe milk kefir is phase 2.  I was making that list off the top of my head, so thanks for checking up on me.  She does recommend coconut kefir from the very beginning, though, as well as fermented veggies.  The good bacteria is very important, so I would try to get that somehow...

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
Skelliott,
It's good to know that BED works even if you are not strict with the food combining.  Did you gain weight eating the grains?  I'm afraid I would. 

I really liked her emphasis on fermented foods.  I think they are very important for health.  And budget friendly compared to purchasing probiotics from the store.

I think Donna says that milk kefir is harder to digest and that's why you shouldn't use it right away.  I can't remember how long you were supossed to wait 'till using it.  I swapped my book so I can't go look it up either. 

Briana

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
No, I didn't gain weight from the grains, but a lot of that was because we didn't LOVE them, so we didn't overeat them.  We used them more for calories and variety than anything.

I didn't lose much weight when we did a cleanse, but that wasn't my goal.  I was not overweight at the time, and I ate plenty of food, so no weight loss.

I think if weight loss were a big goal of this, that you should definitely be careful of carbs.  As always, you have to eat less energy than you burn. Sigh...

YoopreMama

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
Hi, Briana!   :D
I chuckled about this, thinking about Jesus feeding fish and bread to the multitudes.  There may be some interesting theories re: food combining, but I guess I haven't been convinced.  I echo skelliot in saying that minding food combining would drive me crazy!  SO I guess, I'd depart from BED there.  ;)

You are VERY resourceful in the kitchen!  That Jell-O idea is clever.  I think that's a goodly amount of food--esp. as you're nursing.  I ate a lot today and love feeling full.

BREAKFAST:  Cream of millet w/ pumpkin pie spice and frozen blueberries, lots of butter.  No milk, which was a big step for me.  ;)

Mother's milk and a chamomile tea in b/w meals (I don't drink much w/ meals; only milk--keeps gas away for me to have my meal undiluted by water).

LUNCH:  Leftover chicken on salad greens, and the oven baked parmesan red potatoes, almond butter off the spoon, & blue corn chips in salsa...MMMMM!

I was so full after lunch--couldn't finish everything!   ;D

My skin is clearing (m/b due to DSS bath), but baby is a bit fussy today.  M/b it was the TB salad...   :-[  Will have to watch...he's teething, too.

Made up lots of hard-boiled eggs for snacking.  Have quinoa soaked and ready to cook for soups/salads/breakfast...

I'm taking my garlic cloves crushed w/ a meat tenderized (flat side) once, and swallowing that chunk w/ a bit of water.  Seems to work well..I guess ideally, they should sit, crushed, for 10 minutes, before taking.

Tuna melts for dinner tonight--I'll eat mine w/o the bread.  I forgot to get some crackers this week.  I may try that egg drink raw w/ milk, since I'm still on it 'til Friday.  Need to keep my fluids high..."things" are a bit slow.   ::)

I have some NT sauerkraut that I should pull out...

I don't expect to gain from the grains...they won't be a huge part of my calories...more for baby and variety, too.

That's all for now!  :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
OK, so I have been following the threads on Shabby's nursing mama's cleanse & this thread b/c we have been thinking about a similar diet for a while now to help with our family's health issues.

Anyways, as far as the berries & grapefruit, I know that Doug Kaufmann www.knowthecause.com in his anti-fungal diets ALLOW berries & grapefruit b/c they are both low carb and ANTI-FUNGAL. Berries contain Ellagic (sp?) acid which is anti-fungal & grapefruit contains D-limonene which is also an anti-fungal.

He also allows green apples (like Granny Smith) but they may be too high in carbs for the many people IMO & much easier to eat to binge on- just ask my kids about binging on any kind of apples. Also for anyone following no phenol food (Autism diet, etc) apples are a no-no anyways.

So the short version is that berries & grapefruit may not be a problem. As far a gelatin deserts, berry juice makes good gelatin deserts.

Now, can someone PLEASE tell me WHERE the recipe for the fake cream is? I assume that it's dairy free, right? I want to try it but can't find it. TIA BTW- does anyone have a non dairy 'sour cream' recipe? Blessings ~herbalmom   

YoopreMama

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
So glad to have you here, HM!  Thanks for the helpful info on the fruit... :-*  Here's the recipe for fake cream...more later...
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/recipe169.php
OK, so I have been following the threads on Shabby's nursing mama's cleanse & this thread b/c we have been thinking about a similar diet for a while now to help with our family's health issues.

Anyways, as far as the berries & grapefruit, I know that Doug Kaufmann www.knowthecause.com in his anti-fungal diets ALLOW berries & grapefruit b/c they are both low carb and ANTI-FUNGAL. Berries contain Ellagic (sp?) acid which is anti-fungal & grapefruit contains D-limonene which is also an anti-fungal.

He also allows green apples (like Granny Smith) but they may be too high in carbs for the many people IMO & much easier to eat to binge on- just ask my kids about binging on any kind of apples. Also for anyone following no phenol food (Autism diet, etc) apples are a no-no anyways.

So the short version is that berries & grapefruit may not be a problem. As far a gelatin deserts, berry juice makes good gelatin deserts.

Now, can someone PLEASE tell me WHERE the recipe for the fake cream is? I assume that it's dairy free, right? I want to try it but can't find it. TIA BTW- does anyone have a non dairy 'sour cream' recipe? Blessings ~herbalmom   

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
You know, berries are allowed eventually with BED but not at the beginning.  She also allows an occasional grapefruit.  I guess it just depends on who you want to listen to, and what works for your body....

Cranberry juice (not cocktail), and pure black currant juice are also allowed.  I still drink a splash of cranberry juice in a glass of club soda with some vanilla flavored stevia--Yum!

Also, I just thought of something else!  Nature's Hollow makes a xylitol sweetened maple syrup, that's not half bad.  Especially when the kids want pancakes, and you have to make them out of buckwheat, and something like syrup would be soooo great!

Also, spry gum is sweetened with xylitol, and tastes pretty good as well!