† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance  (Read 40499 times)

Offline Kathy

• Learning
Re: Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
Hi everyone!  I started reading this, looking for yam cream/ progesterone effects and am now planning to make my own once I secure a wild yam.  I wanted to mention a couple of things.  First, in reference to the gse-- I took that as a supplement for an extended period of time- don't remember how much-- but when I stopped taking it very suddenly, I had a period, and had just come off of one.  I stopped becaause we were also giving it to one of our ailing horses that the vet would not give us any real help with and noticed her genitals were swollen the way they get when in heat.  Yikes!  I have been doing some reading on this progesterone lately because my hair has been falling out. It started after I had my sixth baby a year ago and never has stopped. At first I dismissed it as I'm worn out, but then it got to be discouraging and depressing so Im looking for a solution, which brings me to this:  my reading has caused me to conclude that hormone problems- specifically progesterone deficiencies- are not the cause of but the result of adrenal fatigue. The adrenals make a certain amount of progesterone and then use it.  If your thyroid and adrenals are out of balance then hormone imbalances occur.  Too much thyroid and not enough adrenal activity and you get night sweats-- I'm assuming from the lack of progesterone.  I experienced this the other night after taking kelp (to boost the thyroid) and working the night shift 2 nights prior.  Maybe my adrenals went into overdrive (?) and this happened.  I'm just reading and guessing my way through this.  My point is that progesterone may help if its in low supply, but I want to address the root of the problem or more problems are on the way.  I feel like the yam cream is going to be great, and probably the adrenal fatigue is just one of many side effects of these 27 year old fillings in my mouth.  Anyone with any thoughts /experience /knowlege to share ??  Is the yam cream good for hair loss?  Anyone know how long it takes to see a difference/ hair growth?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »
Hi everyone!  I started reading this, looking for yam cream/ progesterone effects and am now planning to make my own once I secure a wild yam.  I wanted to mention a couple of things.  First, in reference to the gse-- I took that as a supplement for an extended period of time- don't remember how much-- but when I stopped taking it very suddenly, I had a period, and had just come off of one.  I stopped becaause we were also giving it to one of our ailing horses that the vet would not give us any real help with and noticed her genitals were swollen the way they get when in heat.  Yikes!  I have been doing some reading on this progesterone lately because my hair has been falling out. It started after I had my sixth baby a year ago and never has stopped. At first I dismissed it as I'm worn out, but then it got to be discouraging and depressing so Im looking for a solution, which brings me to this:  my reading has caused me to conclude that hormone problems- specifically progesterone deficiencies- are not the cause of but the result of adrenal fatigue. The adrenals make a certain amount of progesterone and then use it.  If your thyroid and adrenals are out of balance then hormone imbalances occur.  Too much thyroid and not enough adrenal activity and you get night sweats-- I'm assuming from the lack of progesterone.  I experienced this the other night after taking kelp (to boost the thyroid) and working the night shift 2 nights prior.  Maybe my adrenals went into overdrive (?) and this happened.  I'm just reading and guessing my way through this.  My point is that progesterone may help if its in low supply, but I want to address the root of the problem or more problems are on the way.  I feel like the yam cream is going to be great, and probably the adrenal fatigue is just one of many side effects of these 27 year old fillings in my mouth.  Anyone with any thoughts /experience /knowlege to share ??  Is the yam cream good for hair loss?  Anyone know how long it takes to see a difference/ hair growth?
I appreciate all of the research you have done on this.  My main problem has always been "hot flashes," but not necessarily at night.  I have never considered the adrenal side to this though I guess I should have.  I have worked over nights for the past 9 or so years up until this past year and I am just now feeling like my body is getting back to normal, whatever that is.  When working overnight or when I let myself get to the point of exhaustion, I always experienced hot flashes, but over the past few months I have noticed they have gotten better even before I started using the wild yam. 
Thanks for this info....

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 02:47:36 AM »
Kathy,
How often and at what amount (roughly) are you going to use the wild yam for adrenal stimulation? 

Offline Kathy

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 03:58:40 AM »
I guess I'm just going to guage it by how I feel.  I'll start with a very small dose- maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon and see what happens.  My 16 yo is more than slightly amused at the "fits of anger" possibility, and wants to try this also and see if it helps her, but not until I determine a dosage-  two raging females inthe house is not good.  So... we'll see.  I've aquired some cut and dried yam and have it soaking tonight while I am at work; when I get home I'll strain it and start the cooking process.  I am anxious to see what it does for my hair, which used to be so shiny and thick and now is anything but.  However I will use my cycle as the primary indicator, and of course slack off and ajust if I hear murmurs of the "wild woman" type going around.  This doesn't produce nausea or anything does it?  I was always very strong in my last few months of pregnancy when the placenta makes the most progesterone, but never amazon-like.  Still, it felt good then to be strong.  I am hoping to see all kinds of good side effects.I'll keep you posted.  I really enjoy this site and feel like I spend too much time reading now, but I work at the front desk of a hotel, which gives me about 7 hours of free time every shift.  It's good to find others with same interests finally.  So I'll let you know soon!
-Kathy

Offline Kathy

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 09:03:17 PM »
So here is what's happened so far:  I started using about 1/8 of a tsp distributed evenly between thin skin areas (wrists , under eyes for wrinkles- couldn't hurt) and fat areas (thighs and stomach.) No amazing results yet but that dose was too much!  My heart was pounding and my nerves were very sensitive for several hours later.  I know that the fat areas release it slowly into the bloodstream so I eased up on the thin skin application- now I am just using enough to coat my fingertip just barely.  The hot flashes actually stopped as soon as I stopped taking kelp at night and I also started taking dessicated adrenal gland from bovine sources, blah blah blah.  Gross but seems to balance things a little even before the yam cream.  Hair still falling out though- its very depressing.  I also started taking borage for the GLA- its cheaper than the evening primrose- maybe for a reason, but it has more GLA so we'll see.  I understand this plays into hormone production and the adrenals as well.  Hey, siberian pine nut oil is supposed to have a lot of GLA in it too.  May be worth a shot.  It is expensive too, though.  In any case the yam root cream is supposed to work in a few weeks enough to see a difference and it's only been three days.  It may be hard to tell which supplement is working but I don't really want to stop any for the sake of experimentation.  Will check back in a week or so and let everyone know.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
Curious what is GLA?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »
Curious what is GLA?
gamma-Linolenic acid
It is an essential fatty acid (efa) found in omega-6

Offline joyful journey

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:58 AM »
I've been searching for a good Wild Yam Cream to buy on the internet, and have come across Wild Yam in capsules.  Would taking the capsules give the same effects as the cream?

I am wondering the same thing?

Nature's Way makes 850mg capsules.  Does anyone know how this might work in comparison with the cream?

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
Anyone ever use wild yam cream to treat ovarian cysts or breast lumps? 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »

bump
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
Yes, the former.  I've had some luck with it, but the homemade stuff seems to be unpredictable and I have yet to try a commercial product.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DaysofGrace

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »
I'm confused. Is it supposed to be used for fertility (read: TWINS) or contraception?

Can anyone shed any light here? Does anyone use this to boost fertility?

Thanks,
Debra

Wild Yam   by Rebekah Anast
  Colic Root, Devil's Bones, Rheumatism Root, Wild Mexican Yam, Chinese Yam
Scientific/medical name(s): Dioscorea villosa, Dioscorea oppositifolia or Dioscorea opposita, Dioscorea batatas

Story
For two years I lived among a primitive tribal people in Papua New Guinea. One of their main food staples was wild yam. I noticed that the women in my village gave birth approximately every two to three years, without the spacing aid of birth control. They were lean and muscular, and worked harder than any women Iíve ever known, right up until the day of birth. I also discovered that there were many twins born to these people.

This bland, almost bitter, potato-like root was eaten every day in my village. Recently I discovered that wild yam contains a compound called diosgenin, which is converted into the hormone progesterone. Progesterone is synthetically produced by drug companies to create most of our common birth control pills, and hormone balancing drugs. The root of the wild yam vine appears to offer a natural alternative to synthetic progesterone, and many wonderful health benefits besides.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
I'm confused. Is it supposed to be used for fertility (read: TWINS) or contraception?

Both, depending how much and what days of your cycle you take it.  It also depends on your estrogen levels in conjunction, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:47:42 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

Thanks,
Debra

Wild Yam   by Rebekah Anast
  Colic Root, Devil's Bones, Rheumatism Root, Wild Mexican Yam, Chinese Yam
Scientific/medical name(s): Dioscorea villosa, Dioscorea oppositifolia or Dioscorea opposita, Dioscorea batatas

Story
For two years I lived among a primitive tribal people in Papua New Guinea. One of their main food staples was wild yam. I noticed that the women in my village gave birth approximately every two to three years, without the spacing aid of birth control. They were lean and muscular, and worked harder than any women Iíve ever known, right up until the day of birth. I also discovered that there were many twins born to these people.

This bland, almost bitter, potato-like root was eaten every day in my village. Recently I discovered that wild yam contains a compound called diosgenin, which is converted into the hormone progesterone. Progesterone is synthetically produced by drug companies to create most of our common birth control pills, and hormone balancing drugs. The root of the wild yam vine appears to offer a natural alternative to synthetic progesterone, and many wonderful health benefits besides.

Both.  If you use progesterone daily it will act as birth control.  If you use it on days 15-28 (or however long your regular cycle is) it will help balance the hormones.  Particularly if you are estrogen dominant.  Progesterone can also help maintain a pregnancy in those who've had miscarriages caused by low progesterone.

patti
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:21:03 AM by healthybratt »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline DaysofGrace

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »
Okay, I would like to take it to boost fertility. Anyone know when I should take it? My guess is Days 1-ovulation?  Anyone with actual experience taking this? I have searched some online, but haven't found anything definite.

Thanks!

Offline DaysofGrace

• Learning
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 07:55:56 AM »
Bump

Okay, I would like to take it to boost fertility. Anyone know when I should take it? My guess is Days 1-ovulation?  Anyone with actual experience taking this? I have searched some online, but haven't found anything definite.

Thanks!

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
There are a few other threads that have a bit about this, but I don't know where they are.  Perhaps search or ask the moderator?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 03:54:11 AM »
There are a few other threads that have a bit about this, but I don't know where they are.  Perhaps search or ask the moderator?
Try this one for starters.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2032.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
I made a wild yam root salve and im not 100% sure how to use it. I found directions that said to use 1/2tsp once to twice a day until the day before ministration. What if you dont know when that is? Also what if you are in menopause and dont have periods? I know lots use it for menopause.

I made it and had it all over my hands a few weeks ago. I was cranky for a few days as if having PMS symptoms but I had just had my period and was already off. I just started using it two days ago and yesterday started bleeding a little. My period is not due for 2 weeks and I am ALWAYS on time. I ask these questions because I will be selling the wild yam root if it works for me and a few other women I have testing it out. I need to make sure I know exactly what I need to know before letting anyone buy it from me.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 05:07:52 AM »
Also...I would LOVE to use it to help with crazy PMS symptoms and as a birth control so how should I use it?

What about menopausal women?

What about those wanting to get pregnant?

Thanks SOOO much for anyone who has that info and will share it with me. :)
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline tonya

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
kelp! has kelp me with hair growth and coconut oil. taking them both religiously boost and/or heals the thyroid and adrenals. these are usually the cause of hairloss ,i find. but im nobody and dont know even a fraction of anything so take it or leave it. ;D this is what works at our house :)