Author Topic: Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance  (Read 39995 times)

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance
« on: August 27, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
Has anyone ever had any experience with Wild Yam Root? My midwife told me to take 2 a day for a week because my body, she says, is trying to ovulate. I'm nursing 'fulltime' and my little one is 2 months old. I've been bleeding off and on for the past month or so...I hope this stuff helps. Has anyone had any similar experiences , success?

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
Re: Wild Yam Root and Hormone Balance
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
I use wild yam cream.  I have heard many miracle stories from people who take it.  It is a cream, and you rub it on your skin.  I started taking it after I lost my first baby from a miscarriage.  I have a friend who suffers from bad depression  and it made her feel totally normal using it.  I have another friend who was married several years, and didn't have a regular cycle, and couldn't get pregnant.  She was able to acheive a regular cycle and is now a mother of a beautiful one year old.  Anyway,  I recommend it.  You really have to research the kind, though.  It should be full spectrum, meaning that all aspects of the plant are used, and it should be organic.  Also,  it absorbs  better through the skin.  The kind I take is available on www.syringa.com.
I hope this helps.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »
My midwife told me to take 2 a day for a week because my body, she says, is trying to ovulate. I'm nursing 'fulltime' and my little one is 2 months old. I've been bleeding off and on for the past month or so...

It takes time for your body to heal after a birth.  I've had five children, and the first one only took about 4 weeks to quit spotting, but the fifth one was off and on for almost 3 months.  Just enough to be annoying.  And then I didn't have my first period until he was eight months old.  I was nursing full time and sleeping 8 hours per night.

Here are a couple of articles:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nmomcare/0,,3x75,00.html
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/postpart.html#Lochia

Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline morgan1611

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:39:53 AM »
I've been searching for a good Wild Yam Cream to buy on the internet, and have come across Wild Yam in capsules.  Would taking the capsules give the same effects as the cream?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:52:08 AM »
Can you just eat the root?  How much would you eat?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »
I just wrote this for the monthly free herb lesson on nogreaterjoy.org calendar. I thought some of you might want to read it too. It's written for kids, so don't take offense if it reads a little "simple."

Wild Yam   by Rebekah Anast
  Colic Root, Devil's Bones, Rheumatism Root, Wild Mexican Yam, Chinese Yam
Scientific/medical name(s): Dioscorea villosa, Dioscorea oppositifolia or Dioscorea opposita, Dioscorea batatas

Story
For two years I lived among a primitive tribal people in Papua New Guinea. One of their main food staples was wild yam. I noticed that the women in my village gave birth approximately every two to three years, without the spacing aid of birth control. They were lean and muscular, and worked harder than any women I’ve ever known, right up until the day of birth. I also discovered that there were many twins born to these people. Sadly, it was the custom of the Simbai to leave one twin in the jungle to die, as they believed there was only one soul, and the two bodies could not share it. They were afraid a demon spirit would possess the extra body. Many of these old ways changed as their understanding of truth increased.
But back to wild yam... This bland, almost bitter, potato-like root was eaten every day in my village. Recently I discovered that wild yam contains a compound called diosgenin, which is converted into the hormone progesterone. Progesterone is synthetically produced by drug companies to create most of our common birth control pills, and hormone balancing drugs. The root of the wild yam vine appears to offer a natural alternative to synthetic progesterone, and many wonderful health benefits besides.

Growing and Recognizing Wild Yam:
Wild yam grows in moist thickets, trailing over adjacent shrubs and bushes, its range extending from Rhode Island to Minnesota and south to Florida and Texas. It is also very common in Asia and in Mexico.?Wild yam can be grown from root cuttings taken in the winter or late fall. Tubercles, or baby tubers, can be harvested in late summer and early autumn. They should be planted immediately in individual pots and kept inside till spring. Wild yam prefers sandy to loamy medium, well-drained, moist soils and requires partial shade.

Wild Yam properties and uses:?Wild yam is edible and medicinal, though somewhat bland. It was used for centuries as a medicinal herb by the Aztec and Mayan peoples for a wide range of ailments, including many female problems, and to relieve the pain of child birth. Wild yams can be found growing in most temperate climates in the world.
The diosgenin contained in the root of the wild yam is a steroid-like substance that is believed to convert into the female hormone progesterone. Wild yam also contains phytosterols (beta-sitosterol), alkaloids and tannins make this plant useful as an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, cholagogue, diaphoretic and vasodilator.
A tea of the root is used to alleviate many of the symptoms of menopause and PMS such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood changes, and vaginal dryness by raising the progesterone levels in a woman’s body. It is also used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, gastritis, gall bladder complaints by increasing bile production in the liver. It is also said to relieve spasmodic cramps, and in small doses is especially helpful in treating the nausea of pregnant women. Wild yam is commonly used in connection with symptoms associated with inflammation, spasms, and osteoporosis. Wild yams have also been used in American folk medicine to treat coughs and to induce sweating and vomiting. Some believe that Native Americans and early settlers used it for its antispasmodic effects (relieves muscle tightness), which is how it got the name “colic root.”

One of the most popular modern uses of wild yam is as a natural contraceptive. I read one midwife who believes that wild yam root thickens the outer layer of the egg, making it difficult for the sperm to penetrate the egg. However, there has been no scientific research, that I could find, that documents what really happens in the female organs when wild yam is present. It does seem to “work”  as a natural birth control without negative side effects. However, a few women report no lack of fertility at all when taking wild yam. Information on sisterzeus.com states that “antibiotics will negate the contraceptive effects of wild yam. This also includes herbal antibiotics like garlic, goldenseal and echinacea. There are many other herbs that have an anti-biotic effect, so if you use a variety of herbs, make sure you research them well, and know their effects.” If a lady takes wild yam as a contraceptive and also takes garlic for a cold she might have a surprise pregnancy!

Many wild yam supporters say that using this herb as an alternative to HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) will significantly lower the risk of breast and endometrial cancer.
Some wild yam creams have added synthetic progesterone, not connected to wild yam, and often derived from horse urine. This “fake” progesterone is said to have some negative side-effects.

The American diet is extremely high in estrogen (another hormone which is synthetically available in most commercially produced meats and soy products), which can lead to many health problems. Some people have found relief from those health problems by taking natural progesterone (wild yam) to balance the high estrogen levels. High estrogen levels manifest in symptoms like excessive weight gain, hair loss, migraine headaches, acne, depression, miscarriages or the inability to conceive, and high or low blood sugar levels.  Of course, the best remedy to high estrogen levels is to eat range fed meats, and cut out the soy products which provide us with too much synthetic estrogen.

Tea Recipe?For coughs, nausea, spasms, inflammation, hormone imbalance:
Place 8 oz. chopped fresh root (or 4 oz. of dried) in sauce pan, cover with water and bring to boil, reduce heat simmer for 20 to 30 min. Strain and store in refrigerator. Take in ½ cup doses twice a day.

Visit WellTellMe.com for a Wild Yam cream recipe to be used for balancing the hormones and contraceptive doses of wild yam capsules.

Warning:
Large doses of wild yam may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.  Although rare, allergic reactions to wild yam can occur, including rashes, asthma, and other symptoms.
In addition, high progesterone has side effects such as headache, breast tenderness, upset stomach, constipation, tiredness, and irritability. In rare cases there are serious side effects, such as dizziness, faintness, shortness of breath, blurred vision, seizures, and swelling of the lips, mouth, or throat.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:34:22 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
Thanks so much, Rebekah...funny, I just posted a few comments on the herbal breast enhancement thread concerning this.
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
http://www.sisterzeus.com/wildyam.htm

Contradictions what not to take wild yam with, and who shouldn't use it.

This contradiction came to my attention through one of my visitors who has successfully used wild yam as a contraceptive, and obtained her herbs and information from a herbalist in N.C. whom I'm in the process of attempting to make contact with to gather additional details.

Apparently, anti-biotics will negate the contraceptive effects of wild yam. This also includes herbal antibiotics like garlic, goldenseal and echinacea. There are many other herbs that have an anti-biotic effect, so if you use a variety of herbs, make sure you research them well, and know their effects.

To date, I have not seen any contradictions between health conditions, pregnancy, or any other reason that an individual should not take wild yam. However, new data comes to light all the time, and I am unable to keep up to date on everything, so please do your own research if you have some sort of health condition, do your homework, find out if it is ok for you to take wild yam with whatever condition you may have.

Dosages:

Remember, first two cycles of use, protect against unintentional pregnancy, combine with alternative form of contraception such as a condom. Wild yam needs this time to take effect.
Wild Yam has not been FDA tested for use as a contraceptive, if you choose to use wild yam, you do so at your own risk. {Failure = pregnancy, in most cases}.

-- Jeanne's recommended dosages: Pre-packaged capsules of wild yam, 1275 mg to 1500 mg twice a day, every day.

OR

-- Willa's recommended dosages: 3 size "OO" capsules, twice a day, every day.

Personal experiences with Wild Yam:

In my own experience with wild yam, I took it for 8 months during this time I charted my cycles faithfully using a plastic speculum and observing the changes in my cervix and cervical fluids, my standard method of contraception during my fertile time was (and still is) condoms. When I asked the herb shop where I was purchasing my wild yam from if they knew anything about wild yam as a contraceptive.... they knew a little, one of the guys who worked there had considered using it with his girl friend, but in the end they decided against it, overall, the vibe I got from them is that they had no documentation or evidence that it worked or might work, and so they kind of discouraged me from relying on it, so I never did test it out for real, but I used it as a back up method as I was learning fertility awareness methods, during that time I had no unplanned pregnancies.

While surfing around Askme.com I happened across Jamie's askme page, Jamie is a successful user of wild yam, although currently she uses fertility awareness methods to avoid pregnancy. She has made herself available to answer questions about her experiences using wild yam as a contraceptive
If you would like to read the question that I asked her, Click here to read her response.

Jeanne, a self-taught herbalist used wild yam for two years with no pregnancies. She provided the above dosages in milligrams. Thanks Jeanne!

Paula who used the wild yam as prescribed by the herbalist from NC also used wild yam successfully, when she decided to become pregnant, she discontinued the herb, she told me the wild yam took two months to get out her system, after that she conceived and had a healthy baby.

Kim wrote me saying that she used wild yam successfully for two years. When she discontinued the wild yam to get pregnant, she got pregnant right away. She mentioned that she is planning to start taking the wild yam again soon. I asked her if she would write something up for the website describing what she did, what it was like, etc. If and when she sends me anything, I'll post it here.

I have heard things second-hand from people who've contacted me who know someone who has used it, in one such report her friend had used it successfully for a period of months then failed unexpectedly, she speculated a lifestyle change may have had an impact on it's contraceptive effects. Unfortunately I was never able to connect with her directly and ask her about her experience.

A self-proclaimed master herbalist left this in my guest book, so I copied it over here, believing women should have access to as much information as possible. This is what Linda wrote:

Well, I can tell you for a fact that Wild Yam root surely does NOT effect me this way. LOL!
I was, at the time taking Wild Yam Root capsules - 3 "00" capsules 3 times a day FAITHFULLY. I am very good at ALWAYS remembering to take my herbs and supplements every day. I did this for about 6 months and I was charting so I know I was ovulating. At this time I was sooooo fertile!!!!! I was taking Wild Yam Root simply for female health - not as contraception. I got pregnant (in the shower! Standing up!) That was 18 years ago. Well, I continued to take the same amount of Wild Yam Root for years. At 39 years of age, I conceived Micah on the third try while faithfully taking that same amount of Wild Yam Root! LOL! So much for its effectiveness as far as I am concerned. {grin} I would not want to use it as birth control.

Just wanted to point out that Linda was taking more wild yam than the contraceptive dose Willa Shaffer lists as effective, and doesn't mention what other herbs she was taking, it is very possible that something she was taking would negate any contraceptive effects. I also think that your intent when you take a herb is important as well. If you are asking a herb to provide you with contraceptive protection, then are using it correctly chances are that it will provide contraceptive protection. However it is equally possible that some individuals will not be affected the same way that others are.

All of the above text was taken from http://www.sisterzeus.com/wildyam.htm   and was not authored by me, Rebekah Anast.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:47:38 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »
I had read the above quote myself doing research. My conclusion then and still is that when taking wild yam for purposes of contraception, you must first know what your hormone levels are. In an instance where a woman has excessive estrogen or is low in progesterone, she would need more of the herb than a woman without hormone imbalance. In other words, the dosage depends on the individual's condition.

The key to natural health is realizing that each individual is unique. While there may be recommended uses and dosages, they are just that -- recommendations. It is a wise woman who takes the time to know her own body and know how her body responds to treatments. You hold in your hands the most important piece of the puzzle. You are the expert on you.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »
Anyone using the wild yam cream, can you tell me how much you are using?  I know each person will need a different amount.  I'm just wondering if my cream didn't turn out stong enough.  I'm using 1/2 t morning and evening.  I'm weaning a 12 month old.  We are down to one nursie a day.  I did just start weaning about two weeks ago though.  Anyway, I have been really crampy the last few days and ovulation is taking forever to happen.  I have been this way with the two cycles I've had since having this baby.  I have taken an extra 1/2 t already today.  How much do you think would be too much?  I just started  the yam cream this cycle so with the weaning and just starting I'm sure I need more than usual.  Oh, I also drink red raspberry tea.  It helped get things back to normal for me after my previous baby but it doesn't seem to be having the same effect this time.  I try to use 2-3 teaspoons of dry herb per day in my tea.  Any other ideas of what I can do?  I'm not trying to conceive.  I do want to get my hormones, cycles, etc ballanced and see who I am when I am balanced.  I haven't seen my real self since I was prego with baby number 3 ten years ago.  I've been prego and/or nursing a baby since then.  Dh has ordered a break for my body.  I'm totally looking forward to it!   ;)

Has anyone come up with a different method for making the cream?  I used coconut oil and a little bit of olive oil for my first batch.  I don't think I wet the yam root enough though.  The cream is very greasy and seems to take forever to absorb.  It smells like a slightly burnt sugar cookie.  I just started another batch.  I kept adding hot water to the dry root until it wouldn't absord any more.  This took a few hours.  Then I added almond oil and some olive oil over the rest of the afternoon.  I kept my jar on the windowsill in the sun to keep it warm.  Now it is on the stove top next to my simmering chicken stock.  I'm thinking about letting it just stay nice and warm for a week and then put it in the water bath for a few days.  Maybe even wait to strain it until I use up my current batch. 

One other question.  My skin is acting up more than usual.  Could that be from the wild yam cream?  I'm also taking milk thistle and a twice daily beet drink as a gentle liver cleanse.  Usually my skin gets better when I start working on my liver.  Purely vanity.  I know it will get better.   :)

Thanks, Briana

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:52:14 AM »
 :) :) :)

Offline Janet C

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
This is my first 'entry'....I'm 64 year old and my friend (who is a beautician) told me that my hair is thinning and I should use some wild yam cream.  I've never taken any HRT pills, etc. , and I don't know anything about wild yams...but this thread is very interesting.  Does anyone know if this cream helps women who's hair is thinning....or is there some other remedy I should use?

Thank you all....God bless!   Janet

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
Ok, I'm 23, but both supermom vitamins and omega fatty acid supplements (like, two or three tablespoons or softgel  equivelant) have helped my thinning hair due to having my baby #2.  My hair is finally growing again, and I think the Omega Balence and Evening primrose oil (both fatty acid supplements, cod liver oil is one too) really did the trick.

Offline Janet C

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 03:02:53 AM »
 ;D
Thank you so much for your reply/info!  I, too, take the Super Mom Vitamins...and will get the fatty acid supplements you mentioned.  Thank you!

Blessed by Him, Janet

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:34:52 AM »
This is my first 'entry'....I'm 64 year old and my friend (who is a beautician) told me that my hair is thinning and I should use some wild yam cream.  I've never taken any HRT pills, etc. , and I don't know anything about wild yams...but this thread is very interesting.  Does anyone know if this cream helps women who's hair is thinning....or is there some other remedy I should use?

Thank you all....God bless!   Janet

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1332.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:20:26 AM »
I have been looking into natural progesterone, and wondered about the sublingual instead of the cream.  Dr Mercola recamends this over the cream,  it gets absorbed into the body within minutes. You put it under your tounge and it goes pretty much directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system so its not so hard on your liver  like the oral progesterone that you swallow, and it doesnt build up in your fat stores like the bio- identical cream can.

Can someone please tell me what they think about it?  I  dont want  to take something thats not safe!

Heres what it is...http://www.pureprescriptions.com/products/product_view.asp?ProductsID=621
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 11:35:07 AM by herbs girl »

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm very interested in seeing if anyone does.  I'm using a natural progesterone cream, and have had very encouraging results, but something to put under the tongue sounds a lot more convenient and the thing about not building up in the fat makes sense. I'm not familiar with the term "sublingual"....is that like the little homeopathic tablets that dissolve under your tongue?
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Yes, according to some research Ive did, there are some negative aspects to Natural Progesterone Cream.  It can somehow build up in the fat stores in the body.  I may not be exactly quoting that right, but I will see if I can dig up some links.

Yes, its like homeopathic, but  are these  pellets  homeopathic???  I think I read that one place somewhere that they were...?   

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 09:07:17 AM »
interesting.....looking forward to those links.
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 03:26:29 AM »
interesting.....looking forward to those links.

Here is one...I guess the main one from Dr Mercola. He says its virtually impossible to overdose on under the tounge progesterone. Hmmm..

The part about the fat stores is under half way down, but the whole article is a pretty good read

http://mercola.com/forums/progesterone.htm

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
Mercola doesn't say what the name of the sublingual progesterone is.  Do you know what it's called?  The article says he stopped selling it because of the FDA.  I'd like to run this past my ND in place of my current cream. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline countrygoose

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 02:18:31 AM »
I wish I could remember where I read this, but I believe it was recommended from Dr. Lee that natural progesterone cream is best taken through the cream, NOT orally. 

Again...I wish I had more info than that, but I'm SURE I read that.

HTH.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
By saying Orally, DR lee meant through the mouth to the stomach.  Yes it is hard on the liver to process it this way.  But through THE MOUTH UNDER THE TOUNGUE ONLY it   bypasses the digestive system, and liver, almost all the way, if you hold it under your tounge until its melted and it goes straight to your bloodstream.  This is not Oral progesterone, by the way I understand it. Its SUBLINGUAL (under the tounge)!!

The brand name is up in the link on the first post on this thread. ITs called Progon B.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:34:40 PM by herbs girl »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »
Heres another link for the progon B...

On this link, it says they've used it in their clinic in the last 8  years....

http://www.modernherbalist.com/products/Progon-b.html

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
By saying Orally, DR lee meant through the mouth to the stomach.  Yes it is hard on the liver to process it this way.  But through THE MOUTH UNDER THE TOUNGUE ONLY it   bypasses the digestive system, and liver, almost all the way, if you hold it under your tounge until its melted and it goes straight to your bloodstream.  This is not Oral progesterone, by the way I understand it. Its SUBLINGUAL (under the tounge)!!

The brand name is up in the link on the first post on this thread. ITs called Progon B.
Dr. Lee says in his premenopause book: 

"Large oral doses also result in a surge of progesterone that peaks in one or two hours, followed by a rapid decline and low levels for the rest of the day.  Sublingual drops and vaginal suppositories of progesterone peak even more rapidly.  Absorption through mucous membranes such as are found in the mouth and the vagina is extremely fast, and blood levels shoot up within twenty minutes.  By the time ninety minutes have passed, levels have dipped way down again.  This is not a physiologic way to give this hormone.  The only reason to give progesterone this way is to prevent premenstrual migraines.

Transdermal progesterone maintains stable saliva levels for eight hours or more after application, so two small doses daily, providing a total of 15 to 20 mg per day, maintain levels throughout a 24-hour period."

This was from his book written in 1999, so I don't know if he has changed his view on this or not. 

Kendra

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
I guess whatever works for each person is the best.  I have used Natural progesterone cream with no luck, but I used the sublingual pellets and they worked.  The quote above says sublingual DROPS, I suppose thats the same as the PELLETS?  So I guess thats my personal experience.  Dr. Lee says one thing, and Dr Mercola says another. So I guess we just get to pick on who to believe.  I personally think the pellets work  more potently in my body, but thats my opinion! ;) for my situation. If the cream works for you and you feel comfortable with the information you know about it, then thats up to you!! :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:55:29 PM by herbs girl »

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 05:15:58 AM »
I have just started taking the sublingual progon b (3 pellets, 2xday) to try and regulate my cycle.  Well,  I was leary of trying this because my endocrinologist had let me try some prometrium before and it gave me terrible yeast overgrowth.  The prometrium did work, but I was hoping maybe going this route would be more gentle and natural so to speak.  Anyway,  I'm starting on day 4 and the yeast is out of control already!  I'm slimy and yucky feeling from tongue to toe.  (sorry if TMI :P)  Has anybody else experience this with the progesterone supps? 

Edditing b/c I also remembered that I'm feeling kind of blue.  Almost depressed.  I feel like my mind is still alseep and I just want to "snap" awake.  I don't know if this is the yeast or progon b though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:15:51 AM by hodgy »

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »
bump

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »
I have just started taking the sublingual progon b (3 pellets, 2xday) to try and regulate my cycle.  Well,  I was leary of trying this because my endocrinologist had let me try some prometrium before and it gave me terrible yeast overgrowth.  The prometrium did work, but I was hoping maybe going this route would be more gentle and natural so to speak.  Anyway,  I'm starting on day 4 and the yeast is out of control already!  I'm slimy and yucky feeling from tongue to toe.  (sorry if TMI :P)  Has anybody else experience this with the progesterone supps? 

Edditing b/c I also remembered that I'm feeling kind of blue.  Almost depressed.  I feel like my mind is still alseep and I just want to "snap" awake.  I don't know if this is the yeast or progon b though.

I would highly recommend using a bio-identical progesterone cream that is formulated for exactly what you need.  Normally a compounding pharmacy makes it up.  It can be prescribed by an MD or an ND depending on who tested you.  I also tried the oral progestrone and it was awful. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

earthymomof2

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
I liked using a cream as well and had it compounded.  It gave me much fewer side effects than vaginally administered.  I've never tried oral, but I hear it gives you the most side effects of all.  Not sure about the Progon B.  The dosage is not clear (mg????).