Author Topic: Morning Sickness: Prevention & Treatments  (Read 48789 times)

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
Re: Morning Sickness: Prevention & Treatments
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »
I had BAD morning sickness most of the pregnancy with my first one so my mom did some research for me and when I got pregnant with the second one a couple of things helped.  Red rasberry leaf tea was a good drink (especially since water seemed to be a major trigger for me) and a sublingual b-viatimen mix.  It also seemed to help if I never let myself have a completely empty stomache.  Hope this helps and congratulations!

-Heather

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 05:47:52 AM »
I am about 13 weeks pregnant, and I'm starting to feel better from the morning sickness, but I have a couple problems.  The first is that sometimes my stomach feels like it has a big acidic hairball in it.  That's the only way I know how to describe it.  It feels horrible.  Also,  I crave water.  I see a lake or a river and just want to be in it.  The problem is that I have a hard time getting water or any liquid down without feeling nausous.  I don't want to throw it all up.  Any suggestions?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 06:21:05 AM »
I am about 13 weeks pregnant, and I'm starting to feel better from the morning sickness, but I have a couple problems.  The first is that sometimes my stomach feels like it has a big acidic hairball in it.  That's the only way I know how to describe it.  It feels horrible.  Also,  I crave water.  I see a lake or a river and just want to be in it.  The problem is that I have a hard time getting water or any liquid down without feeling nausous.  I don't want to throw it all up.  Any suggestions?
Take a bath or go swimming to help hydrate your body.  As far as the nausea, I would check the morning sickness thread.  There are many helpful suggestions already posted.

Okay...I was looking for that thread to post here and I wasn't able to find just one thread devoted to morning sickness.  It appears that the information is scattered around the board in different topics....so, I'll tell you what I know and I guess this will be the thread.  I'll attempt to find any related threads and merge them later as I find them.  Also use the search function to find anything I might have missed.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
Ginger Root Tea
Tummy Tune-up (probiotics)

I've personally had good luck with both of the teas but have not personally tried the TT.  Other ladies have mentioned throughout the forum that it works well for them.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 06:26:32 AM »
You sound like me with my first pregnancy!!  Apple juice and crackers helped me.  I was so sick that first trimester (and into the second a little) that I lost 10 pounds (which I really didn't need to lose).  Then the rest of the pregnancy I stayed thirsty. One time my mom took me out to lunch and I kept having to flag down the waiter to get more water...I had asked him to just leave the pitcher, but he said it was against health regulations.  I suggested I could just put a straw in it and use it as my glass  ;D!

My daughter, now 16, still drinks tons and tons of water!  She must drink at least a gallon a day!  Anyway...try apple juice..it worked for me!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 06:37:27 AM »
My midwife said protein.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 06:52:27 AM »
I am glad to find these threads.  I am starting to have a few small bouts of morning sickness (and one big one....on moving day, none the less).

This time around is SOOO much better.  In my other pregnancies, I would be throwing up at least 20 times a day by now (5 1/2 weeks).  I couldn't keep anything down..... except frozen pizzas and canned ravioli, and of course SUGAR.  I lost weight that I couldn't afford to lose...

Now, I am eating a lot, eating good food, and no sugar.  And keeping almost all of it.  My pants are too tight, so I am sure that I am gaining!

I am sure that the difference has to do with the cleanses I had recently done, and my effort to get my body back into shape, and detoxified.  I can sure feel the difference, though I really am extremely tired.  But then again, I have two toddlers, am moving, and am pregnant.  Who wouldn't be tired?

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »
My midwife said protein.

I haven't been getting nearly as much protien with this pregnancy than with the other two.  I just haven't been hungry for it.  I know I need to try to, though.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 07:05:38 AM »
I'm with you on the horrible stomach feeling! I, too found I wanted water a lot this time and could not handle plain water. I had been doing the water cure before I got pregnant, so decided to keep on with that and discovered I felt better on the salt water than plain water. In fact, I almost craved it and therefore drank alot more water than I normally would during morning sickness instead of juices with sugar, etc.

Another thing that helped me keep meals down was Tummy Tune Up! I also found that if I took some before going to bed, I felt better in the morning, which was a huge blessing since I needed to prepare breakfast for 10 people!

I wish I had a total cure for you... morning sickness is a trial!

Blesssings!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 07:11:05 AM »
There are some suggestions here:

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,868.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,70.0.html

Sarah K
Thanks Sarah, I merged these threads, so these links are no longer valid.  I deleted your post. 

;)

I also merged 4 other threads into this one.  There will probably be some repeats.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 07:14:36 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 07:14:39 AM »
A midwife that I spoke to a couple weeks ago, said that it is caused my not enough progesterone.  She said using a progesterone cream has helped most of her clients. 
But I think morning sickness is from so many different things.  One says protein, another says low blood sugar, another says a Vitamin deficiency, etc.  Seems all of these work, but at different times and for different people.  Just have to find what works for each individual.

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 08:46:20 AM »

Play happy music so you will feel inspired to move around more and sit less.

This has really helped me.  Thanks!

Offline cherish

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 09:52:20 AM »
Here is something to try for morning sickness that I haven't seen anyone else mention. 
Bentonite Clay worked wonders for me when I was pregnant with my third.  I took one teaspoon in a glass of lemon water (for taste) in the evening when I was feeling less sick and in the morning I woke up completely free of nausea.  From then on I took it twice a day until I was well past my 1st trimester.  It was amazing.  Someone recommended it to me saying that it binded with toxins and even though it sounded strange I was willing to try anything.  The bulk herb store carries it and it is only 3.30 for half a pound.  Quite the deal for a safe natural cure.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »
Would someone comment on Shonda Parker's program for morning sickness...

Milk Thistle Phytosome--from Natural Factors-1 cap 3x a day with meals
                        Entrox--(EPA perilla oil) 1 cap 3x a day
                         Absorb-aid  2 cap 3x a day with meals
                         a prenatal( I say super mom!!)
                         an extra calcuim-mag supplement --(Bone-ami would be good)
                         ginger gycerite for morning sickness( Morning Balm from MMeadow herb
                                        would be a good choice
                        a good acidophilis supplement...Tummy Tuneup or otherwise

I have had pretty BAD morning sickness with all of my pregnancis and would like to try this the next time, if there is a next time!!  Has anyone tried this??  Also your supposed to start taking the Milk thistle a couple months before concieving and upping the dosage when you get pregnant.  Supposudly this practically takes away the Morning Sickness!!

Offline busymomma

• Adept
  • As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 02:34:15 AM »
My midwife is a Bradley instructor, she really promotes their diet, lots of protein and small frequent meals.  She recommended eatting some protein before I went to bed to decrease the insulin drop in the morning, causing morning sickness.  Peanut butter on WW toast is good. I would boil a bunch of eggs at one time and keep them in the frig for a quick protein fix. She also gave me some of this: http://www.morning-sickness-magic.com/  The company was doing a survey on it and I got it for free from my midwife for filling out the short survey.  It was great stuff!  It has a lot of ginger in it (which I like), I can;t remember the other ingredents.  I have also seen it at our local health food stores.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »
ok, so many posts here suggest taking your multi or supermom....I can not take either one. I was on supermom before becoming pregnant this time and I had to stop taking it because it was making me worse...nothing seems to be helping this time. I tried taking regular prenatal vitamins at bedtime and was still "burping" them in the morning which was making me more sick. I am gaggy all the time and my stomach is super bloated. I am at 12 weeks now, have not gained any weight but I can't wear my regular pants because anything rubbing on my tummy makes it worse.
anyone???? Help please  :'(
my poor husband doesnt know what do do with me and my poor children are only getting about 1/2 a mom these days.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
have you tried peppermint oil in some water? It only takes a drop or two in a glass of water  and drink it down.

It helps with bloating, trapped gas, the 'im gonna barf' feelings and other pains of the digestive tract.

mint is very good for digestive system alliments. But im not a doctor.

I had bad morning sickness all 9 months in both my pregs. I wish I had known about peppermint oil at that time because no herb or medication helped my morning sickness at that time.

Offline BigMamaH

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »
I have just reached my second trimester with my 5th baby and am so glad to have to morning sickness behind me!  I have had very bad morning sickness every time and I have tried everything from one end of the sun to the other (except that bentonite clay, I haven't heard that one before), and quite honestly, nothing seems to help my morning sickness.  I had to go off of the Tummy Tune-Up and Supermom during this time as the more I tried to do for it the more it seemd to aggrivate it.  I am of the opinion, which doesn't necessarily make it truth, that some women just have bad morning sickness.  We just do.  I believe in healthy eating and lots of sleep and doing all we can to help our bodies help themselves, but sometimes the only cure is time.  We are all made differently and every pregnancy and baby is different and for some of us, I think it is just how God reminds us of His grace.  I am amazed every time how my family continues to eat and get mostly clean clothes even while I feel so useless.LOL  Not to mention that when the "pains" of later pregnancy hit I remember that it could be worse, at least I'm still keeping my food down!  Hang in there ladies, when the baby gets here we won't even care about the morning sickness anymore!!  A non-Christian friend of mine,  upon hearing that we were pregnant "AGAIN!" said, "Woman, you must be on a mission from God himself!"  To which I replied with a smile, "Actually, I am!!"   What an awesome responsbility, we ARE on a mission from the KING!! 
After getting a sticker from the Dr. that said, "GIRLS RULE!" on it my daughter said, "I know what the girl's rule is at our house!  Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right!"

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 02:58:46 AM »
Thank you ladies :) It feel's better to know that I am not the only one "the Norm" doesn't seem to work for. I have tried peppermint oil and it has helped when I have used it, I just tend to forget about it.  (I love p-mint oil in water just because it is more refreshing) Anyhow, thanks for the support. I am holding my breath hoping that I will feel better when the clock strikes "second trimester"
thanks again

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 06:30:57 AM »
I agree that morning sickness sometimes just dont wanna go away :(

It can be bad stuff. I remember in my first preg I lost 40 pounds mostly in my first trimester from barfing so much. I was some over weight at that time so the doc was not worried but I did end up in the hopsital from dehydration. I was wasting away.

During my second preg I was also real barfy but during my second trimester the doctor put me on a drug used for those who have cancer and get sick from the radio and chemo. This drug helps them not feel so barfy. I cant remember its name but I feel it helped save my pregnancy because I was not able to eat or drink much at all and it was really messing with my blood sugars ( Im diabetic) to be barfing all the time.

My husband had his fair share of cleaning out barf buckets and listening to me gag and barf over and over. Needlessly to say he was all for me getting "fixed" after kid #2 was born, LOL. :D

LIke someone said above. TIME is the only way to get rid of the yucky morning sickness. I wish God had made a magic plant to take it all away for everyone. :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »

During my second preg I was also real barfy but during my second trimester the doctor put me on a drug used for those who have cancer and get sick from the radio and chemo. This drug helps them not feel so barfy. I cant remember its name

I believe the drug you are thinking of was Zofran?  I was on it too, on my second pregnancy.  I was not into all natural things or herbs at that time.  Yet, after taking it for about 4-5 weeks, I felt like it was damaging the fetus.  I stopped and was so glad that I had chose the route of morning sickness than to pump drugs into my son.

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 09:20:23 AM »
We just found out we are pregnant with our second child.  I was sick the entire pregnancy last time.  During the first trimester I lost weight and could do nothing.  The mere 'thought' of food sent me into gagging and sometimes vomiting.  I am all excited to try many of the things that I have learned since the last one but I am left with yet one delema.  I COULD NOT swallow pills until the third trimester.  If I attempted I would throw up.  If I perhaps succeeded in swallowing it, it would come right back up within five minutes.  Is there any kind of LIQUID prenatal out there that is safe and toxin free?  I am currently taking a liquid vitamin called Vibe from Eniva, but it is not prenatal and although it has many herbs and things in it, I don't think ALL of it is non-synthetic.  Anyone have info on a possible liquid prenatal?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »
yep zolfran thats what it was called.

Before I got put on that pill I had already passed out 4 times from low sugars because I could not eat and when I did eat it all came back up. My hubby still jokes about how I would be mentally out of it from low sugars and have conversations and do strange stuff that I have no memory of doing. Im glad I did not do anything unsafe or stupid during those low sugar times. Instead I just would act weird then pass out.

Thank God someone was always around when I passed out or me and baby would be dead right now.

I had no choice but to take zofran it really helped me and baby. And baby turned out fine :)
Infact her name is FAITH because I just left it all in Gods hands and had faith that HE would take care of it all.

Sometimes we just need faith in God to take care of us but I do feel each person has to at least try and do what they feel is right for them. Not whats right for someone else but whats right for them.

My other kids name is MIRACLE-GRACE because God gave us a miracle by his grace. Its a long story full of Gods grace and miracles.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »
  Anyone have info on a possible liquid prenatal?

I actually take Nature's Plus Liquid Pre-Natal as a multi-vitamin(I am not pregnant) because it is not as harsh on  my stomach as the regular kind.
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/097467308411.html

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
Has anybody heard of nursing helping with morning sickness ?

When I was pregnant with my first, I had bad morning (no, it was all-day-long !) sickness for the first five months. After he was born, I didn't want BC so the doctor warned me that since I was nursing, I could get pregnant and not realize it. I asked why I wouldn't notice it, and she said since I was nursing, I wouldn't experience morning sickness. She was saying this to scare me from not talking BC, but it actually got me very anxious to get pregnant. I loved the idea of not being nauseated while pregnant !

So I did get pregnant when my first child was seven months old, and that pregnancy was indeed a lot better ! I was almost never nausiated, and when I was, I would just throw up and feel better again. I threw up on average once a week during the first 4-5 months instead of the 1-2 a day with my first pregnancy.

Now I'm wondering if it really was the nursing that helped, or if I was just lucky. I've asked around, and nobody else has ever heard about nursing preventing morning sickness... I wish I had proof of it, so I would do my best to keep nursing no 2 until the first months of pregnancy with the next one !

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 10:49:13 AM »
I've nursed during the first trimester of two pregnancies...and if that was helpful I sure don't know because I was sick as a dog regardless!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
I've nursed during the first trimester of two pregnancies...and if that was helpful I sure don't know because I was sick as a dog regardless!

Yeah, me too... I threw up about 20 times a day.  My daughter did wean when I was about 2 1/2 months because I completely dried up.  But I started throwing up only one week after conception.  (That was a long week before I could take the test... ;))

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2006, 10:55:07 AM »
Okay, I didn't read every post, so I apologize if this is a repeat.  Nothing eliminated my morning sickness entirely, butthe only thing that made me survive is eating protein right before bed, followed by starch first thing in the morning.  I also kept something on hand to be sure my stomach was never completely empty and took sips of whatever I could handle throughout the day rather than downing a full glass with meals.  ~L
Oh, I also know I'm pregnant every time by my nauseqa - even before the test can show it.  Plus my husband can "just tell" ;).

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »
I know ginger tea or peppermint is very good for morning sickness. I don't like ginger, so I dkn about that one, but peppermint worked great...I kept a stash of peppermints or altoids to keep me from getting nausea-it worked for me :)

We just found out we are pregnant with our second child.  I was sick the entire pregnancy last time.  During the first trimester I lost weight and could do nothing.  The mere 'thought' of food sent me into gagging and sometimes vomiting.  I am all excited to try many of the things that I have learned since the last one but I am left with yet one delema.  I COULD NOT swallow pills until the third trimester.  If I attempted I would throw up.  If I perhaps succeeded in swallowing it, it would come right back up within five minutes.  Is there any kind of LIQUID prenatal out there that is safe and toxin free?  I am currently taking a liquid vitamin called Vibe from Eniva, but it is not prenatal and although it has many herbs and things in it, I don't think ALL of it is non-synthetic.  Anyone have info on a possible liquid prenatal?
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »
I actually take Nature's Plus Liquid Pre-Natal as a multi-vitamin(I am not pregnant) because it is not as harsh on  my stomach as the regular kind.
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/097467308411.html

Wow!  Thanks!  That looks much better than what I am currently taking.  Not to mention that it is about a FOURTH of the cost!!!

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »
I'm in the midst of severe morning sickness called Hyperemesis Gravidarum.  I've tried all the things mentioned on here except the clay.  I was hospitalized and put on Zofran.  Took a lot of that with my second pregnancy and the baby was fine.  Trusting in God to take care of this one too.  I have uncontrollable vomiting and nausea.  If I don't have something to stop it, I know I would lose the baby.  I haven't taken any kind of medication in years and had so hoped all the natural remedies would work, but I just threw them all up.  I so wish I had the option of stopping the medication and choosing morning sickness, but I believe that's just one of my trials in life.  We all have different ones, and I must trust God to take care of the baby and I believe He will.  Right now I'm on IV's at home because I wasn't able to keep any liquids down.  Now I'm able to eat some and hopefully I'll be able to drink soon also.  Liquids make me feel worse than food.  Even with the medication & IV's I still am nauseated and throw up sometimes, especially at night.  I've hoped & prayed for a "normal" pregnancy, but I'm hoping God has a purpose behind all this & maybe I'm learning something He wants me to learn in the process.