Author Topic: Homemade Dish Washing Soap  (Read 40682 times)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
Re: Homemade Dish Washing Soap
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »

"Save that empty dish-soap bottle, and refill it with a homemade dish soap. Fill a 22-ounce squirt bottle with Castile soap, which is a pure odorless soap. Add 15 drops of lemon or lemongrass essential oil, six drops of lavender essential oil and five drops of bergamot essential oil."
These instructions were found at this link:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_cleaning_tips_hints/article/0,1801,HGTV_3111_1383418,00.html

I was planning on making this and was about to order essential oils of orange and lemon from Mountain Rose Herbs.  But, they all said that they were a potential skin irritant.  So I am wondering if it is OK to put them in soap that I will have my hands in.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:28:36 PM by healthybratt »

Offline AnnaBanana

• AnnaBanana
  • Adept
  • Aloha ke Akua!
    • Lilia Designs & YINIA!
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 05:42:28 PM »
For the person who mentioned wanting an antibacterial agent in the soap - use a few drops of tea tree oil.  :)
Oh, and sweet orange oil works wonders for cutting grease!! 

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 04:20:16 AM »
I use miracle soap which is similar to castille soap. In order to make it last longer I use a Pampered Chef suds pump. You only use 1 oz. of soap and then fill with water. It makes the soap come out as foam. It makes the soap last much longer, you are far less likely to overuse the concentrated stuff. I usually fill my pumps every month or two. I use my pump at the sink to wash dishes and have one in the bathrooms for hand washing and bathing. My 4 year old can wash herself using this. I have seen similar foam pumps other places online.

A friend of mine uses castille soap in hers. It will work for any kind of non mosturizing soap.

You can reuse the soap dispensers from the store just like the ones you buy new.  Just refill them when empty (or rinse them out if you don't want to use up the soap in them first) with a little soap mix and some water.  They are much cheaper than the Pampered Cheif ones and mine have lasted for years!  I take the labels off so I'm not advertising for them, too!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »
i think i have asked this before but does citric acid mess up stainless steel?

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 05:26:22 PM »

I don't have a concrete answer for you, but I  do use this soap (with citric acid) to also wash my stainless steel sinks.  All I can say is that my sinks are nice and shiny (when I wash them, that is!), and I haven't seen any problems yet!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »

Not as far as I know. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »
there is a thread on this allready, thought I didnt get any recipes that I liked from it.  I dont know how to link other wtm threads but it is called 'home made dish washing soap'

Offline danielswife

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
Thanks AnnaBanana!!  ;D

Offline viola

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 05:17:43 AM »
I'm going to try this one!

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »
 ;DOO OOO OOO!!! Yes, that is exactly what I've been looking for. I just started using a consetrated version of my homemade laundry soap in my dishwasher and it works great! I add a little vinegar to the "jet dry" thingy and bling, bling dishes!!
 I can't wait to try this recipe for washing dishes by hand, that was my next goal. Thank you ladies for all of your ideas!
I also make my own liquid "castile" type soap, same as above, 1 homemade bar grated and melted in 1-2 Gallons of water.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:29:28 PM by mandlwilliamson »
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »
Does anyone know if any of these ingredients are no-no's?  I am not a chemically minded person so I am not sure:

Ingredients: Purified water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Cocomide MEA (Derived from Coconut Oil), Glycol Distearate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Coconut Oil, Aloe, Chamomile, Soapwort and natural fragrance.

It is for Kirk's liquid soap - which from their website they said you can use in the kitchen???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »
Does anyone know if any of these ingredients are no-no's?  I am not a chemically minded person so I am not sure:

Ingredients: Purified water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Cocomide MEA (Derived from Coconut Oil), Glycol Distearate (Derived from Coconut Oil), Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Coconut Oil, Aloe, Chamomile, Soapwort and natural fragrance.

It is for Kirk's liquid soap - which from their website they said you can use in the kitchen???
Some of these ingredients are listed in this reply and from everything I've seen and read ALS is just as bad as SLS.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,322.msg2248.html#msg2248
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »

Some of these ingredients are listed in this reply and from everything I've seen and read ALS is just as bad as SLS.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,322.msg2248.html#msg2248

thanks! that's what I figured  ;)

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »
I am resurrecting this thread from a year ago with some questions.  I was reading somewhere else on here that Borax is not good for you to eat, so is it actually safe to wash your dishes in?  Another question is where do you get all these different soaps everyone keeps talking about.  The only one I am familiar with is Ivory.  The others are:
Castile Soap (many different brands - Kirk's, Dr Bronner's, etc)
Vel
Pure and Natural
Miracle Soap
Coal Tar
Any others I may have forgotten

Thanks so much - the more I read, the more interested I am in freeing my home of ALL (or most :))chemicals

Offline adamslove

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
I had to get my castille soap from a health/natural foods store.  I think Wal-Mart carries Pure & Natural.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »
My local Shaws supermarket sells Dr. Bronners soaps..liquid and bar. Pure & Natural is in a light green wrapper with all the other bar soaps. I've not been too crazy about Ivory in my laundry soap...but recently bought the Ivory + lavender so we'll see if lavender makes a difference. I'm finding the local supermarkets are getting more and more of the natural products which is helpful. I used the Borax/Wash Powder/Koolaid mix in my dishwasher and no one got sick that I know of! But I've been using strictly baking soda for about 3 months now and am happy with that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:04:21 PM by freshisbest »

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
Yes, you can NOT eat borax, but it is safer to use as a cleaner than the regular dish soaps and laundry soaps!  Borax is used in kids' home made "goop" and it's safe for them to handle and play with, so should be ok in soaps and cleaners. 
Just about anything can be toxic in big amounts, and even small amounts.  But we're finding that the chemicals in regular products are more toxic than some of the more "old fashioned" cleaners and soaps.
I've seen some of the natural products at Walgreens!  They have Aubrey Organics, Jason, Kiss my Face, and Burt's Bees.  I know WalMart has stuff, so does Target, but your most reliable source is going to be your local health food store.  Remember, they can order many things for you, so even if you don't see exactly what you want, if they have one line of natural stuff, they can likely get just about any line of natural stuff.
HTH!  We're on this same journey, too, and the task is both FUN and OVERWHELMING!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
I get vel at my local grocers.  Walmart has never carried it to my knowledge.

http://www.amazon.com/Vel-Beauty-Gentle-Skin-Care/dp/B00005302T
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blondiegreen

• Adept
  • Summer 2009
    • Greener Living Soap Nuts
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
Thanks herbalmom!

Here is my modified formula that I use now. Since I use it for scouring, washing dishes in the sink AND for the dishwasher, it comes in handy to make it in a larger quantity. I keep it in a sealable bucket inside a zippered, plastic bag.

2 cups borax
2 cups baking soda
1/2 cup salt
1 cup citric acid
30 drops lemon essential oil

We don't miss the store bought brand a bit.

SC,
How about posting your new version on the dishwasher soap thread? Thanks, this looks like an easy version of it & using it for cleanser & washing dishes in the sink is great, less items to keep track of. Blessings ~herbalmom

Can you use lemon juice instead of lemon EO? Thanks.
Natural Laundry Detergent & Cleaning Products
www.buysoapnuts.com

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2008, 02:59:56 AM »
Thanks herbalmom!

Here is my modified formula that I use now. Since I use it for scouring, washing dishes in the sink AND for the dishwasher, it comes in handy to make it in a larger quantity. I keep it in a sealable bucket inside a zippered, plastic bag.

2 cups borax
2 cups baking soda
1/2 cup salt
1 cup citric acid
30 drops lemon essential oil

We don't miss the store bought brand a bit.

Where do you get citric acid?  How much do you use in the sink or dishwasher for dishes?  I think I would like to try it, it looks easy and a lot better than store bought kinds.  Thanks for sharing.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06:36 AM »
I haven't researched this but I have heard that citrus fragranced DW detergents will break down metals on fine china and cutlery.  With that in mind, maybe you'd want to skip the citric acid and/or essential oil?  The oil is for fragrance, anyway, right?

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2008, 06:00:20 AM »
i think the oil is also for grease cutting. anyone?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
i think the oil is also for grease cutting. anyone?
I just got some citric acid from iHerb.com.  It was relatively inexpensive and I haven't yet tried it, but I have tried the borax, baking soda, washing soda mixtures which all left a sticky film all over the dishes even using vinegar in the jetdry container.  the citric acid is to prevent or rinse this film from the dishes.  i'm sure it would be helpful as a grease cutter as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59:37 AM »
Like HB, said, the citric acid helps prevent a film on the dishes. As far as the lemon ess oil, although it does smell good, it's purpose is grease cutting. For the person that asked if you could use lemon JUICE instead of ess oil, the answer is no. Lemon juice is wet & will cause the mixture to lump up. Also it wouldn't have the grease cutting abilities the ess oil has. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »
Does anyone know if there is any truth to what I have been told about the lemon fragrance breaking down metals?  It could very well be that it's the fragrance they use in purchased DW soaps.  Just because it's a fragrance doesn't mean they didn't 'genetically modify' it or created from mixing battery acid and pigeon poo ;) ;D :o

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »
Just because it's a fragrance doesn't mean they didn't 'genetically modify' it or created from mixing battery acid and pigeon poo ;) ;D :o
LOL ;D ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Eleni

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
I tried to make a liquid dish washing detergent using flakes from a soap but the result want satisfying since I was getting NO foam... Any suggestions??