Author Topic: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting  (Read 50656 times)

YoopreMama

Re: Rabbittobacco [ Rabbit Tobacco ] / Cudweed / Everlasting
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 01:25:17 AM »
That "clicked" for me last night... ;)

How you did it works, though, so GREAT!   ;D

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 07:47:02 AM »
Very nice pics, White Rock.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Rabbittobacco: Another Testimonial...
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
I got over my last cold in just a couple of days using the RT tea blend I made (see my previous post on this thread).  I noticed that it did dry up my sinuses significantly...to where my throat actually felt dry.  Occasionally, my nose would run all of the sudden, but it was always clear drainage, and would do it just a few times a day, like it was clearing out the virus, but not over-reacting.  I could breathe freely the whole time.  By day 3 I felt fine, and never needed another dose of my tea.

Last week, my toddler started to get a runny nose.  I ran the humidifier with some of the Rabbit Tobacco tea (2-4 oz.) dilluted with water.  She seemed well, and our family went on a campout that weekend.  She had occasional nose-wipings, as it was chilly outside, but didn't seem sick.  She woke up Wednesday morning with a green icky nose, and was pointing to both of her ears.  I put some garlic oil in her ears.  I also had her drink a few sips of the RT tea blend, and ran it during both of her naps.  By this afternoon, she had *NO* sinus drainage, and seems perfectly normal.

This stuff is WAY better than Sudafed.  It not only calms down your mucous production, but also weakens the virus in the process.  I can't wait for someone else to get sick so I can experiment on them more with this cool herb!!!  :D ::)

The Southern Herbalist, Darryl, explains the components of the herb, and what it does in this great article: http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com/rabbit.html
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
A note made up of bits of stuff I've copied from various articles on the net......

There are many accounts of Everlasting being smoked in place of tobacco by Native Americans and settlers alike [Rabbit Tobacco contains no nicotine] and the smoke also held a spiritual or mystic power for many Indians.

The Cheyenne dropped the leaves on hot coals and the Cherokees used it in sweat baths. It was also thought by many tribes that the smoke had a restorative power that could revive the unconscious or paralyzed. The fresh juice has some reputation as an aphrodisiac.

Everlasting is certainly astringent and is commonly thought to be sedative, diuretic and a mild pain reliever. Both the smoke and tea have been use to treat various throat and bronchial conditions from colds to asthma and especially for coughs. It is also used for diarrhea. Sores on the skin and in the mouth are poulticed with it as are bruises and it has been highly recommended for burns.

Botanical Name:
Gnaphalium Obtusifolium [Gnaphalium Polycephalum and Pseudognaphalium Obtusifolium also refer to the same plant]

Common Name:
Rabbit Tobacco / Sweet Everlasting / Cherokee Tobacco / Indian Posey / Old Field Balsam / White Balsam

Parts Used:
Stem, leaves, flowers

Medicinal Action and Uses:
Astringent. Beneficial for ulcerations of the throat and mouth; warm infusions used to produce diaphoresis; also of service in quinsy, pulmonary complaints, leucorrhoea. Can be used internally and as a local application, likewise used as fomentations to bruises, indolent tumours. An infusion given in diseases of the bowels - haemorrhages etc. The fresh juice is reputed anti-venereal and anti-aphrodisiac; the cold infusion vermifugal; the dried flowers are used as a sedative filling for the pillows of consumptives. A tincture is made from whole plant.

Induces sleep, one of the most valuable plants in migraine, sinus trouble, cough, asthma, and stomach problems (to increase appetite).

Tommie Bass made a cough syrup that included rabbit tobacco that was very popular with his customers.

And The Southern Herbalist, Darryl Patton, suggests combining it with Heal All (Prunella Vulgaris) and Lemon Balm (Mellisa) for a powerful anti-viral to combat the myriad flu varieties (bird, swine, etc.).

The whole plant is anaphrodisiac, antiphlogistic (relieves inflammation and fever), astringent, diaphoretic (promotes sweating), expectorant, and vermifuge. It is used internally in the treatment of throat ulcers, chest complaints, intestinal and respiratory catarrh (inflammation and thick mucus) etc and is also applied externally as a poultice to bruises, indolent tumours (tumors that are not painful) etc. A tea made from the leaves and flowers is a mild nerve sedative, diuretic and antispasmodic.

The aromatic dried flowers are used as a filling for pillows, having a sedative effect which is beneficial to consumptives. A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant. This has proved to be of benefit in the treatment of sciatica, lumbago and some forms of arthritis.

The plant is used as an insect repellent, it is placed in bedmats, books etc and in the linen cupboard. The flower heads are used as a stuffing material for mattresses.

Traditional Usage:  
- Abdominal Cramps
- Abscesses (mouth and throat)
- Antibacterial
- Anti-inflammatory
- Antimicrobial
- Antioxidant
- Antispasmodic
- Aphrodisiac
- Asthma
- Bone and Joint Problems
- Breathing Disorders
- Bruises
- Catarrh (Respiratory)
- Cellular Regeneration
- Cold and Flu Symptoms
- Congestion
- Coughs
- Cramps
- Digestive Disorders
- Diuretic
- Dyspepsia
- Fever
- Flu
- Gastrointestinal Inflammation
- Hemorrhage
- Indigestion
- Infections
- Menstrual Cramps
- Menstrual Difficulties
- Moth Repellent
- Mouth Ulcers
- Neuritis
- Nervous Conditions
- Nosebleed
- Parasites
- Pneumonia
- Sedative
- Sore Throat
- Spasms
- Throat Infections
- Tonsillitis
- Tuberculosis
- Yeast Infections

Preparations:
For colds and the flu, the Cherokee made a slave by grinding the herb and adding it to lard. This was rubbed on the chest and back to relieve congestion and induce sweating.

You can make a tea (plain or with other herbs), a decoction, a tincture, or syrup from it.

Tommie Bass’s Cough Syrup

Equal parts of:
rabbit tobacco
boneset                             
wild cherry bark
sweet gum bark
mullein leaf

His formulation for commerce added yellow root, redshank (red root) and sumach leaf.

It can also be used as a poultice for bruises and swelling.

Adding a few things I've written about Rabbit Tobacco, elsewhere...
Rabbit Tobacco is an expectorant so if you have lung congestion it will make your cough more productive. It also sooths a sore throat so if it is a cough from irritation in the throat, it will just about stop the cough all together.

It is best used as a vapor, IMO. If you have a steam humidifier, please try putting RT tea in it and let the vapor fill the room you are in. I tried smoking some and I drank a little bit of the tea, but vaporizing it was absolutely the method that worked best, IMO. For me, the efect was almost instant, but for SweetPea, who had a different kind of cough, it diminished over two or three days of steady vapor (steam humidifier) treatment. Which was amazing because she usually coughs for months (literally --not an exageration) after she gets a cold or flu.

Interestingly, Native Americans didn't just smoke it for ceremonies, they also steamed it on hot rocks in their sweat lodges. And "The Southern Herbalist" says that it's most powerful form is as a distilled extract. Steam distillation is basically what you are doing when you use the tea in the vaporizer, only instead of capturing and cooling the steam so that it returns to a liquid you can bottle, you are distributing it throughout the room. I think this is why the method worked so well for us.

Oh, I almost forgot. My humidifier has a little rimmed area in front of where the steam comes out. It's for holding stuff that you want to be distributed with the steam. They sell oil/inhalants for that purpose, but I put a great big wad of the wet RT that I had strained out of the tea...

...Yes, I say the tea was "weak" because I mixed it with water in the humidifier. I wish I had a ratio for you, but I wouldn't be real worried about putting a strong tea in it. My only concern about using something *in* the humidifier, was that it would be in direct contact with the heating element so, of course, I didn't want to use anything flammable. But since I read that it has like 0.05% volatile oil, and also read that *flammable* oils are usually not soluble in water, I felt safe doing it the way I did. We haven't had any trouble with our humidifier, from doing it that way, so far.

[Edited to add things I left out the first time.]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:09:05 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »
Does anyone know where a person can buy this herb????????????   I live in Northern Minnesota and have no clue what I am looking for.......besides that it is snowing.   ::)
I would love to have some on hand for the winter.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »
Does anyone know where a person can buy this herb????????????   I live in Northern Minnesota and have no clue what I am looking for.......besides that it is snowing.   ::)

I sell it. I haven't posted an ad here yet, because I recommend it so often that I didn't want people to think I had an ulterior motive. I will post about my prices in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. BUT if you don't want to buy from me, I have found two other places on the net, where you can get it. HERE and HERE.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
More....

Native American Tribes and how they used Rabbit Tobacco [Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium]:

Alabama

(Sedative)
- Compound decoction of plant used many ways for nervousness or sleeplessness.
Swanton, John R 1928 Religious Beliefs and Medical Practices of the Creek Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #42:473-672 (p. 663,664)

- Decoction of plant used as a face wash for nerves and insomnia.
Taylor, Linda Averill 1940 Plants Used As Curatives by Certain Southeastern Tribes. Cambridge, MA. Botanical Museum of Harvard University (p. 61)

Cherokee

(Analgesic)
- Compound used for local pains, muscular cramps and twitching.
Hamel, Paul B. and Mary U. Chiltoskey 1975 Cherokee Plants and Their Uses -- A 400 Year History. Sylva, N.C. Herald Publishing Co. (p. 51, 52)

- Infusion of plant rubbed into scratches made over muscle cramp pain.
Taylor, Linda Averill 1940 Plants Used As Curatives by Certain Southeastern Tribes. Cambridge, MA. Botanical Museum of Harvard University (p. 61)

(Antirheumatic)
- Used with Carolina vetch for rheumatism.
Hamel, Paul B. and Mary U. Chiltoskey 1975 Cherokee Plants and Their Uses -- A 400 Year History. Sylva, N.C. Herald Publishing Co. (p. 51, 52)

(Cold Remedy)
- Decoction taken for colds.

(Cough Medicine)
- Used as a cough syrup.

(Misc. Disease Remedy)
- Used in a sweatbath for various diseases.

- Warm liquid blown down throat for clogged throat (diphtheria).

(Oral Aid)
- Chewed for sore mouth.

(Orthopedic Aid)
- Compound used for muscular cramps and twitching.

- Infusion of plant rubbed into scratches made over muscle cramp pain.

(Respiratory Aid)
- Smoked for asthma.

(Throat Aid)
- Chewed for sore throat.

Choctaw

(Analgesic)
- Decoction of leaves and blossoms taken for lung pain.
Bushnell, Jr., David I. 1909 The Choctaw of Bayou Lacomb, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. SI-BAE Bulletin #48 (p. 24)

(Cold Remedy)
- Decoction of leaves and blossoms taken for colds.
Bushnell, Jr., David I. 1909 The Choctaw of Bayou Lacomb, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. SI-BAE Bulletin #48 (p. 24)

(Pulmonary Aid)
- Decoction of leaves and blossoms taken for lung pain.

Creek

(Adjuvant)
- Leaves added to medicines as a perfume.
Swanton, John R 1928 Religious Beliefs and Medical Practices of the Creek Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #42:473-672 (p. 661)

(Antiemetic)
- Decoction of leaves taken for vomiting.
Swanton, John R 1928 Religious Beliefs and Medical Practices of the Creek Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #42:473-672 (p. 661)

(Cold Remedy)
- Compound decoction of stem, leaves & flowers taken and used as inhalant for colds.

(Misc. Disease Remedy)
- Poultice of decoction of leaves applied to throat for mumps.

(Misc. Disease Remedy)
- Decoction of leaves used as a throat wash for mumps.

(Psychological Aid)
- Decoction of plant used as a wash for persons who "wanted to run away."
Swanton, John R 1928 Religious Beliefs and Medical Practices of the Creek Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #42:473-672 (p. 663,664)

(Sedative)
- Decoction of stems, leaves & flowers taken and used as a wash for old people unable to sleep.

Koasati

(Febrifuge)
- Decoction of leaves taken for fevers.

(Pediatric Aid)
- Decoction of leaves used as a bath and given to children with fevers.

Menominee

(Analgesic)
- Dried leaves steamed as an inhalant for headache.
Densmore, Francis 1932 Menominee Music. SI-BAE Bulletin #102 (p. 129)

(Disinfectant)
- Smudge of leaves used to fumigate premises after a death.
Smith, Huron H. 1923 Ethnobotany of the Menomini Indians. Bulletin of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee 4:1-174 (p. 30)

(Psychological Aid)
- Dried leaves steamed as an inhalant for "foolishness."
Densmore, Francis 1932 Menominee Music. SI-BAE Bulletin #102 (p. 129)

(Stimulant)
- Leaf smoke blown into nostrils to revive one who had fainted.
Smith, Huron H. 1923 Ethnobotany of the Menomini Indians. Bulletin of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee 4:1-174 (p. 30)

Meskwaki

(Psychological Aid)
- Smudge of herb used to "bring back a loss of mind."
Smith, Huron H. 1928 Ethnobotany of the Meskwaki Indians. Bulletin of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee 4:175-326 (p. 214,215)

(Stimulant)
-Smudged and used to revive an unconscious patient.
Smith, Huron H. 1928 Ethnobotany of the Meskwaki Indians. Bulletin of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee 4:175-326 (p. 214,215)

Montagnais

(Cough Medicine)
- Decoction of plant taken for coughing.
Speck, Frank G. 1917 Medicine Practices of the Northeastern Algonquians. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Americanists Pp. 303-321 (p. 314)

(Tuberculosis Remedy)
- Decoction of plant taken for consumption.
Speck, Frank G. 1917 Medicine Practices of the Northeastern Algonquians. Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Americanists Pp. 303-321 (p. 314)

Rappahannock

(Febrifuge)
- Infusion of roots taken for chills.
Speck, Frank G., R.B. Hassrick and E.S. Carpenter 1942 Rappahannock Herbals, Folk-Lore and Science of Cures. Proceedings of the Delaware County Institute of Science 10:7-55. (p. 29)

(Respiratory Aid)
- Infusion of dried stems or dried leaves smoked in a pipe for asthma.
Speck, Frank G., R.B. Hassrick and E.S. Carpenter 1942 Rappahannock Herbals, Folk-Lore and Science of Cures. Proceedings of the Delaware County Institute of Science 10:7-55. (p. 29)

(Candy)
-Leaves chewed for "fun."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:49:47 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Thought I'd add some tips for finding it.

It needs good drainage, and it needs sunlight. You won't find it growing in the shade or in low areas. So it is usually found in open fields and on hillsides.

From afar, it might look like a bunch of white flowers or it might look like a dead dried up weed. Depends on whether or not the flowers have opened up and how mature the plant is. But it usually is a lighter color (all over) than the plants around it. It looks kinda frosted, gray or silvery, in comparison.

They are likely to be spread out over an area, instead of all growing together in a clump. This makes them harder to spot 'til you get closer to them. So walk through an area before you decide there aren't any there.

WARNING:
If/when you find it, you might see some of the flowers or leaves are clumped together in a mass that looks kinda like a spit-wad. That is because Rabbit Tobacco is the nursery of choice for the Painted Lady Butterfly and there is a larva/pupa/whatever inside the plastered together area. Just break off that part of the plant and leave it in the field.  :)

WR
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:57:01 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:03 AM »

I sell it. I haven't posted an ad here yet, because I recommend it so often that I didn't want people to think I had an ulterior motive. I will post about my prices in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. BUT if you don't want to buy from me, I have found two other places on the net, where you can get it. HERE and HERE.
WR...you're so silly!  Of course I'd rather get wild harvested RT from you than from someplace else.  I'm assuming that you recommend it because you use it and see the benefits.  PLUS, I love all the research that you've compiled on it.  It makes it easy to put together a page for my herbal notebook.

This has just been such an excellent find for my family.  Icky noses seems to be our most common health complaint, but we've breezed through the beginnings of a couple of colds in just hours with using RT.  It's powerful stuff!

Can you put a link to where you've posted the 'for sale' info for Rabbit Tobacco?
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2009, 05:53:41 AM »
:)
My post with prices... CLICK HERE.
:)

WR
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:56:06 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline fisherprice

• Learning
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Whiterock, i forgot that you sold it therefore i went on the ebay sight.  I cant wait to get it in the mail and test it out.  We have been fighting a cold and yucky green sinus stuff for a week now.

Anyways, i wanted to share a funny story.....I was reading about RT here and reading how you smoked it etc.  Well, my hubby walks up behind me and curriously asks what i am learning.  I just looked him straight in the eyes and said i am learning how to smoke weed  :o  That got him asking some questions right away.  ;D  Gotta love this sight. 

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »
LOL.
Well, I hope it works as well for you as it has for us.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »
Hi all!

Dh showed up with a moving van and we finally got the whole house packed up and moved and the family is now all under one roof again. So, I have been packing, moving, and unpacking (that part is still going on actually) for the last couple weeks.

Anyway, I've uncovered my packed-up stash of Rabbit Tobacco and now I'm wondering how many of the folks who wanted to order from me, *still* want to order from me. :)

I know that some of you have since found RT on your own, and some may have just gotten fed up with waiting for me to unpack and get your orders out.

So...

IF YOU STILL WANT TO ORDER RABBIT TOBACCO, PLEASE PM ME AGAIN. THANKS!! :D

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
WR, does your RT grow wild or did you plant it?  I live in an area with lots of hillside and rather dry, hot summers.  Wondering if I ordered your seeds if I'd have any success growing it.  Does it plant/grow well?

Thanks!
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
It is wildcrafted --I gathered it from the wild. But I have read that it used to be offered in nurseries as a landscape plant, and people stoped buying it because it was "buggy" --the Painted Lady Butterfly larva just love it. But this is the same reason that many butterfly enthusiasts seek out the seeds to grow it their butterfly gardens today. So it can be grown. And I plan to grow a big patch of it wherever I move, from here on out. I know that it would have grown in my yard at home if we hadn't kept it mowed, because the first year plants were all over the place.

Oh and that's another thing.... Just to be clear, Rabbit Tobacco is biennial. This means that, the first year, it just grows a low clump of leaves (a basal rosette). The second year it grows the stalk and flowers (this is the part you harvest). And then it dies. It readily reseeds but I plant to save some seeds every year just to be on the safe side.
Who Needs God?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
WR, would it be possible for you to send some seed when you send RT?  Or could I just get seed from what is in a bag?  We have a good place we could grow that stuff (if our weather is conducive to it). 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
There shouldn't be any seeds in the bags of herb, because I sort it over a screen to get small praticulate out. But the bags that I keep the flowers in, before screening, end up with seeds all over the bottom. So I sell little bags of seeds for $3 each. There's well over 100 seeds per bag, but the seeds are so tiny that it looks like a pinch of ground pepper.
Who Needs God?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »
There shouldn't be any seeds in the bags of herb, because I sort it over a screen to get small praticulate out. But the bags that I keep the flowers in, before screening, end up with seeds all over the bottom. So I sell little bags of seeds for $3 each. There's well over 100 seeds per bag, but the seeds are so tiny that it looks like a pinch of ground pepper.

I'll buy a bag of the seeds too.  BTW, did you get my PM?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
Does anyone know if Rabbit Tobacco is safe for pregnant or nursing moms?

YoopreMama

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
A well-trusted friend says, "Only if she is allergic to the family. Neither, Darryl Patton or Matt Wood contraindicate it for either pregnancy or nursing."

YoopreMama

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
Another, um, "high up there" WTer said this:  "I've used it while nursing. Prefer it in some type of inhalation treatment, and that also seems less likely to affect an unborn baby than ingesting as a tea or tincture."

;D

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:54 AM »
Good to know. Thank you!  :)