Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: External Use for Pests [Fleas, Garden, etc.]  (Read 14734 times)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: External Use for Pests [Fleas, Garden, etc.]
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
I recommend going to or calling your local feed co-ops for DE. I ordered a 50 pound bag from 1 co-op and then the other day I found another local co-op that sells food grade DE for $1 a pound up to so many pounds. It is cheaper then having to pay the S & H charges of ordering it online.

The flea population in the house has died down since I started using the food grade DE 2 days ago. But we still have a long ways to go.

But there are still live fleas on my dogs. I will plaster them with more DE again tomorrow. I put so much on the dogs that they had powdery clouds puffing off of them as they walked. I put it on them and then rubed their fur backwards so it would reach down to their skin to get the fleas.

Even tho the DE has not freed my dogs of fleas there is a decrease in them but they still have way to many.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »
The day before Thanksgiving I used a flour sifter to apply a heavy dusting of DE to all the carpets in our home, as well as the upholstered furniture and the pet beds. It made my (and DH's and the pets') skin very dry. After about three days, my DH said he couldn't stand it any more; that it made him feel very dirty. I told him to think of it as baby powder, but he still didn't like it, and requested that I vacuum. I did so- lightly. If the 50 pound dog went into one of her spastic moods and ran around, she would stir up a huge cloud of DE and I would have to open the doors and windows for a few minutes. It's been 20 days since I applied the DE and I've only vacuumed one more time, for a total of twice, and we still have fleas. I do think the infestation is less, but there are still definitely fleas. I bought my DE at the feed store, and it says it's food grade on the bag. Does anyone have any input? Would I have to reapply and leave it alone for two weeks in order to get the desired effect? I don't think DH would go for it again, but I could ask.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
The day before Thanksgiving I used a flour sifter to apply a heavy dusting of DE to all the carpets in our home, as well as the upholstered furniture and the pet beds. It made my (and DH's and the pets') skin very dry. After about three days, my DH said he couldn't stand it any more; that it made him feel very dirty. I told him to think of it as baby powder, but he still didn't like it, and requested that I vacuum. I did so- lightly. If the 50 pound dog went into one of her spastic moods and ran around, she would stir up a huge cloud of DE and I would have to open the doors and windows for a few minutes. It's been 20 days since I applied the DE and I've only vacuumed one more time, for a total of twice, and we still have fleas. I do think the infestation is less, but there are still definitely fleas. I bought my DE at the feed store, and it says it's food grade on the bag. Does anyone have any input? Would I have to reapply and leave it alone for two weeks in order to get the desired effect? I don't think DH would go for it again, but I could ask.

For use as pest control, I still recommend using permaguard brand with diatomaceous earth.  Read about it here;

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,19743.msg196971.html#msg196971
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »

For use as pest control, I still recommend using permaguard brand with diatomaceous earth.  Read about it here;

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,19743.msg196971.html#msg196971
The whole reason we used DE was to avoid use of toxins, which pyrethrin is... this is from Wikipedia: Pyrethrins are used in many varieties of insecticide, fogging products and in some pet products. Care should be taken when using this substance around humans and animals. Overdose and toxicity can result in a variety of symptoms, especially in pets, including drooling, lethargy, muscle tremors, vomiting, seizures and death.[5] Toxicity symptoms in humans include asthmatic breathing, sneezing, nasal stuffiness, headache, nausea, incoordination, tremors, convulsions, facial flushing and swelling, and burning and itching sensation.[6].

Pyrethrin is extremely toxic to aquatic life, such as bluegill and lake trout while it is slightly toxic to bird species, such as mallards. Toxicity increases with higher water temperatures and acidity. Natural pyrethrins are highly fat soluble, but are easily degraded and thus do not accumulate in the body. These compounds are toxic to bees also.[7]

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »
I would vaccuum several times before you give up.  I'd vacuum daily (maybe twice a day) and make sure to empty the cannister from the vacuum into a sealed bag or outside.  Don't dump it in the regular trash.  Also the dog (or other animals) must also be treated or they will continue to reinfest the house.  It will take several days for all of the fleas to die.  (So yes, I would leave it alone for at least a week-maybe two).  If the dust on the floor bothers your husband, you could cover it.  Last time we treated, hubby was concerned about the electronics.  So I threw down old bed sheets and we walked around on those for a week or two.  Looks kind of shabby, but it keeps the dust down.  I'm thinking you may have used too much if the air is still dusty after a good vacuuming, but don't worry, this just makes it so you don't have to reapply.  Just continue to walk on it, beat it into the carpet and vacuum.  Make sure the pets don't bring in more and make sure you get every room with carpet.

One year the fleas did overwhelm even with constant treatment and so we ripped out more than half our carpet and threw it away.  But with only the two rooms of carpet left, we have gotten fleas again on bad summers and the way I mentioned above is how we deal with them.

Bathing animals before you dust them is a good idea as well.  The soapy water kills most of them.  A good combing (fine toothed) will also help to pull out eggs and adults.  When combing, keep a bowl of soapy water nearby to dip the removed fleas into so they drown instead of hopping back onto the dog or into your clothing.

NOTE:   As far as I know, it doesn't take two weeks to kill a flea with DE, but fleas are mobile and lay eggs which hatch after treatment.  The eggs you will find most often under furniture.  If you treat under the couch, the bed etc and leave it indefinitely, this will help alot for fresh hatchings.  The point, is that it takes several days for every single flea to come into contact with the DE and then if I remember correctly, it takes about 24-72 hours to kill it.  They can also get into your mattresses and bed clothes.  It helps to dust between the mattress and bed springs and to wash your sheets, especially if the animals spend any time in the beds.  I also went as far as dusting the mattress under the mattress pad (lightly).  The pad and the sheets kept the dust away from the body but seemed to put a stop to me getting bit while I slept.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:48:02 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
I would vaccuum several times before you give up.  I'd vacuum daily (maybe twice a day) and make sure to empty the cannister from the vacuum into a sealed bag or outside.  Don't dump it in the regular trash.  Also the dog (or other animals) must also be treated or they will continue to reinfest the house.  It will take several days for all of the fleas to die.  (So yes, I would leave it alone for at least a week-maybe two).  If the dust on the floor bothers your husband, you could cover it.  Last time we treated, hubby was concerned about the electronics.  So I threw down old bed sheets and we walked around on those for a week or two.  Looks kind of shabby, but it keeps the dust down.  I'm thinking you may have used too much if the air is still dusty after a good vacuuming, but don't worry, this just makes it so you don't have to reapply.  Just continue to walk on it, beat it into the carpet and vacuum.  Make sure the pets don't bring in more and make sure you get every room with carpet.

One year the fleas did overwhelm even with constant treatment and so we ripped out more than half our carpet and threw it away.  But with only the two rooms of carpet left, we have gotten fleas again on bad summers and the way I mentioned above is how we deal with them.

Bathing animals before you dust them is a good idea as well.  The soapy water kills most of them.  A good combing (fine toothed) will also help to pull out eggs and adults.  When combing, keep a bowl of soapy water nearby to dip the removed fleas into so they drown instead of hopping back onto the dog or into your clothing.

NOTE:   As far as I know, it doesn't take two weeks to kill a flea with DE, but fleas are mobile and lay eggs which hatch after treatment.  The eggs you will find most often under furniture.  If you treat under the couch, the bed etc and leave it indefinitely, this will help alot for fresh hatchings.  The point, is that it takes several days for every single flea to come into contact with the DE and then if I remember correctly, it takes about 24-72 hours to kill it.  They can also get into your mattresses and bed clothes.  It helps to dust between the mattress and bed springs and to wash your sheets, especially if the animals spend any time in the beds.  I also went as far as dusting the mattress under the mattress pad (lightly).  The pad and the sheets kept the dust away from the body but seemed to put a stop to me getting bit while I slept.

Thanks so much for all this helpful info, HB! -and here I thought I needed to NOT vacuum so the DE would stay in place and keep killing bugs. I can't wait to vacuum now! :D I have reapplied the DE to the pets a couple of times, when I could tell that they were getting their nice, glossy coats back.  ::) I will keep plugging away at it. The sheets are a great idea, too. Thanks for that tip. I was a bit concerned about the dust affecting the DVD player, because we had one die because of sheetrock dust during a remodeling project once.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!