Author Topic: Aluminum: When, Why and How is it Toxic?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Aluminum: When, Why and How is it Toxic?
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »
There are several threads that spin off of the idea that aluminum is a toxic substance (which it is inside the human body).  But I couldn't find a thread that lists studies and details on what products actually leach aluminum and why.  (I like to know why!) :)

So, I'd like to start a 'toxic dump site' thread for all the articles, studies, and other information that pertain to aluminum.  Please steer clear of articles which lean toward opinions or are slanted to promoting fear...as well as articles put out by aluminum manufacturers :)

Did you know that one of the byproducts of manufacturing aluminum is sodium flouride? 

Here are some studies and articles that I found helpful:

http://www.fluoridedebate.com/question29.html Discusses the disturbing relationship between flouride and aluminum leaching {note: there is a pdf to download the Flouride Debate book on the right hand side of the page}:
Researchers recently expressed their surprise that low doses of sodium fluoride, equivalent to the amount found in 1 ppm fluoridated water, were found to cause brain damage similar to that found in Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, and that low doses of aluminum fluoride (0.5 ppm) resulted in double the amount of aluminum found in the brain compared to 100 times the dosage of aluminum (50 ppm) without the fluoride. (See 29-1: Brain Research, 784, 1998, 284-298).

" ... water with 1 part per million (ppm) of fluoride frees nearly 200 ppm of aluminum when boiled 10 minutes in aluminum cooking pots. That is 1,000 times the aluminum leached by nonfluoridated water." (See 29-2: Science News, 1/31/87).

This article is from an organization called HealthCanada.  I don't agree with everything they propose, but it's got some helpful information on sources of aluminum exposure.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/pubs/water-eau/alum-eng.php

Interesting post about leaching of metals in a variety of cooking surfaces:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/health/cooking_surfaces.htm

Study linking Aluminum to interference with male sex hormones:
http://semj.sums.ac.ir/vol5/apr2004/al_injection.htm

What studies, articles or books have compelled you to look closely at your exposure to aluminum?

-Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Aluminum: When, Why and How is it Toxic?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:03:25 AM »
interesting posts on a pottery board about how to test if glazes are leaching.  This quote was interesting, but seems to contradict what I have heard about aluminum:
Alumina in a glaze (in the proper amount) is what gives glazes resistance
to alkalies - some foods are alkaline and so is soap and dish washing
detergent
  http://www.potters.org/subject28991.htm

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/ask_treehugger_16.php
This post discusses specific amounts and risks with aluminum cookware.

I'm interested in finding studies (instead of 'it is widely thought' or other such opinion based 'information') regarding the leaching of aluminum specifically from bakeware.  So far, everything I have found on aluminum cookware (pots and pans) has said that the leaching is low, and dependant on the acidity of the food.  The fear of using aluminum cookware seems to be based on the poll of public opinion, and not on science...and the stance of the leaching being low is never footnoted with science either.

I'm curious about testing on bakeware.  If I bake cookies or a cake in an aluminum pan, does it leach?  Anyone know of any studies on this? 

♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »
Related thread for how to live aluminum free.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1020.0.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Eglantine

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
I'm wanting to make the Children's Blood Purifier glycerite that has dandelion root, burdock root and sarsaparilla root. (ABC Herbal) After researching the two kinds of sarsaparilla - medica (Mexican) and ornata (Jamaican)...I'm not sure what to do! The less expensive medica says that it has aluminum in it. We avoid aluminum like the plague. From what I read on the MoreThanAlive.com website, their sarsaparilla is high in aluminum. http://www.morethanalive.com/Sarsaparilla-root-cut

What do you think?

Penny

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
I'm wanting to make the Children's Blood Purifier glycerite that has dandelion root, burdock root and sarsaparilla root. (ABC Herbal) After researching the two kinds of sarsaparilla - medica (Mexican) and ornata (Jamaican)...I'm not sure what to do! The less expensive medica says that it has aluminum in it. We avoid aluminum like the plague. From what I read on the MoreThanAlive.com website, their sarsaparilla is high in aluminum. http://www.morethanalive.com/Sarsaparilla-root-cut

What do you think?

Penny

BUMP

I'd like to know as well. This will sound really dumb :-[, I'm sure, but is there a good, naturally occurring aluminum as opposed to the bad aluminum? Or is it all bad? ???
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
I googled 'organic aluminum'...and this is one of the things I read about naturally occuring aluminum.  I condensed the article into just the key paragraphs that relate to organic aluminum, and other factors to consider that relate to absorbing aluminum into the body:

"Our exposure to aluminum is certainly nothing new. It is one of the most common elements in the earth's crust and has long made its way into our foods. Ancient man consumed aluminum when rocks were used to mill grain into flour. Minimal exposure to aluminum isn't a problem; our bodies can excrete small amounts very efficiently. Laboratory research has shown that we can handle about twenty milligrams of aluminum ingestion each day.7 Unfortunately, most of us are exposed to and ingest far more aluminum than our bodies can handle."

"Aluminum is the most abundant metallic element in the earth's crust. It is abundant in the soil, water and air particles. Acidic rain increases the amount that is leached into our water supplies.

Aluminum is an abundant element in dirt. It is found naturally in nearly all foods and herbs. Herb companies, knowing how much aluminum a pure herb should contain, can use a laboratory measure of aluminum content to indicate how clean the plant (especially root material) is; extra dirt would add to the aliminum content.

There is a distinct difference between organic and inorganic forms of aluminum.

Sources of Aluminum and aluminum compounds
Aluminum is primarily absorbed into the body through the digestive tract. Dietary intake ranges widely from 5 to 150 mg/day. These levels do not seem to interfere with the absorption or utilization of calcium, phosphorous, zinc, copper, selenium, iron or magnesium. Adequate calcium intake may decrease the risk of aluminum toxicity.

It is also absorbed through the lungs and skin."

"Aluminum researcher Elizabeth Jeffery has found evidence that flouride interferes with the body's ability to get rid of aluminum. She says, "My research indicates that flouride readily combines with aluminum in the blood, and that aluminum flouride, once formed is very poorly excreted in the urine." She believes that the aluminum fluoride then becomes concentrated in the bones (where flourine replaces calcium) and continues to slowly release and recycle through the body over time. "

"The body is easily able to manage normal, natural levels of aluminum. The body excretes 74-96% of our normal dietary intake of aluminum. Most of the aluminum forms insoluble salts, especially phosphate salts, in the intestine. These are mostly excreted in the feces instead of being absorbed. In excess, however, this can produce a phosphorous deficiency which leads to calcium loss which leads to structural problems.

The aluminum that is absorbed is only poorly excreted by the kidneys and can easily accumulate in body tissues. It tends to concentrate in the brain, liver, thyroid and lungs."

"Minute amounts of organic aluminum are needed in the brain to catalyze (activate) important enzyme systems. The herb gotu kola, which has a reputation as a memory booster and brain enhancer is assayed to have amoung the highest levels of aluminum of all herbs."

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/alzheimers_and_aluminum_toxicity.html

Offline Eglantine

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
I emailed morethanalive and this is what they told me:

"Not all sources of aluminum are the same. The human body is made of a number
of minerals: iron, calcium, potassium, copper, aluminum, etc. They are
needed for normal daily function. The main thing one must be aware of is
that these minerals (some being metals) must come from animal or plant
sources as much as possible. Inorganic sources of these minerals such as
water, man made health and household products, etc. can easily reach toxic
levels in humans. So, the thing to watch out for is too much inorganic
minerals.

All this to say, the minerals found in organic matter (plant and animal
sources) are perfectly safe and needed by the body. I hope that helps."