Author Topic: Measuring height of fundus - query  (Read 8215 times)

Offline kaylhew

• Learning
Measuring height of fundus - query
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
Hello ladies.  This week I found out that I am expecting and I am having a little difficulty figuring out when I am due.  I have an appointment with a midwife in mid-August (the earliest they had available) so I have a few weeks yet before I can talk with her.  I'd like to figure out how far along I am (or at least get a good idea) before then if I can.

This is my question, and perhaps someone can help me find an answer:  How far along in your pregnancies were you when you were able to feel the height of your uterus (above the pub*c bone) when laying down, and if you measure the length from bone to fundus, do the number of centimeters help indicate how far along you are?  I know it does later in pregnancy, but does it also help date it in the first trimester?

This is not my first pregnancy (our daughter was born 4 years ago and I have had 3 miscarriages), but I was not paying attention this time (usually I chart everything) and this took us by surprise.  It's a wonderful surprise, just unexpected (we have had over a decade of unexplained infertility issues). 

My guess is that I am either around 11 weeks (with a med-light period last month) or around 7 weeks.  I can feel my uterus in my belly and it seems pretty high to be the 7 week gestation, but it seems a little odd to have a period too.  Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?  Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Measuring height of fundus - query
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »
If I remember correctly... the number of centimeters do equal the number of weeks you should be along.  It may not be as accurate very early on in pregnancy, but if you are potentially 11 weeks I would think that it would be close (within a week or so either direction).
I remember being measured at 10 to 12 weeks during my pregnancies and the measurements were accurate.  I don't know about the specifics as to when you can first feel your uterus.
It does seem a bit odd to be able to feel your fundus at 7 weeks, but everyone is different.
I would try measuring and see what you get.

Offline sanchezmama

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
I don't think that it's very accurate early in pregnancy. I'm 20 weeks now in my fifth pregnancy, and at 8 weeks,  I was measuring 15cm. So, I probably wouldn't go by that. It is common for women to have bleeding they think is a period. It could have been implantation bleeding or something like that.

HTH,
Liesl
Aidan to a lady on the bus: "What's your name?"
Lady: "Deena, can you say Deena?"
Aidan: "Yep, Deena. Can you say Pachycephalosaurus?"
our three year old dinosaur lover:)

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:34 AM »
Here is some info out of a Midwife book I am currently reading  "Heart & Hands"  by Eli zabeth Davis :

....At 10 weeks , the fundus barely clears the pubic bone; at 12 weeks it is generally a few centimeters above the pubis; at 16 weeks it is midway between the pubic bone and the umbilicus. ...

Then it goes on to talk about if the Estimated due date does not match the size of fundus then you should re-evaluate your menstrual history. Example, if you have irregular periods....and also that some women continue to bleed after conception, even for several months, about the time they would usually have there cycle.

Hope some of that helps, Sarah

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:44:04 AM »
 I was 25 weeks 1 day (according to ovulation due date) when I went to the doctor last, and I measured 25 cm fundal hieght, so for me the weeks are starting to coreelate with measurements.

Offline kaylhew

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
Ladies,

Thank you for your replies.  I measured about 12 cm from bone to fundus.  I am quite certain I could not be more than 11 weeks - I had a very normal period two months ago and negative pregnancy test a couple days before my med-light "period" last month.  I guess this will just be another lesson in patience and trusting God is in complete control.  Thank you again, ladies.

Offline kaylhew

• Learning
Re: Measuring height of fundus - update
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »
I have an update (in case any one is interested...)

At my midwife appointment, she dated me at 9 weeks instead of the 13 weeks I thought I was.  When I described my shorter, lighter cycle in June she said it sounded enough like a regular one to count it as such.  She did not find a heartbeat (which is understandable at 9 weeks) and sent me for an ultrasound the following week because I was measuring large for the dates - when she checked me she said she would have guessed that I was 16 weeks based on the size, and I was having some light spotting.  She said it was possible that I had two little twins in there...  Anyway, my bleeding increased the following week, and on Wed evening I lost the baby.  Thurs morning we went to our scheduled ultrasound and they confirmed my womb was empty, but found the source of the "measuring large" - an 8-10 cm corpus leutum cyst on my right ovary.  Apparently they are common in pregnancy, mine just went overboard.    It should resolve itself within a month or so.  Thank you again to all who shared info.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 08:13:49 AM »
I'm sorry!  :'(  You will be in my prayers!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife