Author Topic: Recurring stomach bug  (Read 14188 times)

Offline delldenise

• Learning
Recurring stomach bug
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
My 6 y/o daughter has had three stomach bugs in the last couple of months which is odd since she has only had one other one in her life.  The first couple of times was vomiting only but today's bug is diarrhea only.  She has some stomach pain right before an episode of vomiting or diarrhea, but other than that, she has felt fine with each sickness.  And by "fine" I mean, she's hungry, is up playing, jumping around, being her normal self, no fever or any other symptoms.  I'm not sure what to look for by way of causes.  Her 4y/o brother, myself, nor my husband have been sick like this at all.

Thanks for your insight...Denise :)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Re: Recurring stomach bug
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »
Check out AdenoVirus (it causes inflammation of the intestinal/stomach/etc.... and MANY other symptoms.... can last for 6 weeks or so).

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13373.0.html
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »
Help!! My daughter has been sick for two weeks with this very similar virus. For exactly two weeks she will throw up in the middle of the night. Then, during the day she will eat and play and be fine. This is the beginning of the third week and now she has diarrhea and throwing up during the day and not eating much. Yesterday she had diarrhea during the day and did not eat much at all. Today she ate hardly anything and threw up and had diarrhea. She has been drinking orange juice and Gatorade. Today and yesterday she has been lying around and she looks pale and sickly.
I actually made a doctor's appt for tomorrow since I am worried. Is there something I could give her to help her with the diarrhea and vomiting? Any advice?
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline ARmom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »
She has been drinking orange juice and Gatorade.
Had a nurse tell me once "no orange juice during a stomach bug, it irritates the digestive tract"  Not sure it its true but we do avoid the OJ and eat BRATT food:  Banana, white Rice,  Applesauce,  Toast, Tea and Spuds, no butter.  Keep it bland.  The Dr. apt. is probably a good idea since this has been going on so long.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:11:25 AM by ARmom »
The homemaker has the ultimate career.  All other careers exist to support this ultimate career.
                                           C.S.Lewis

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
I'd definitely agree it's time to go to the doctor.  This type of bug can be dangerous.  However, along with the doctor, I would be sure she got lots of yogurt, kefir or probiotic food.  You could open a probiotic capsule into her drink, if she'll take it.  ;)

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do some immune boosting herbs.  My feel better combo (children't composition from ABC herbal) works wonders.  You know where to get some!!!

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »
Help! This is more like an ONGOING stomach bug than a recurring one. I feel very discouraged, b/c all of my effort at medicating does not seem to be helping!!

My DS will be one yo this Friday. Last weekend both my guys had a throwing-up stomach bug. The 3 yo ds's rolled right into a nasty cold (eye infection, ear infection, bronchitis). But my little guy has had diarrhea all week. He does not go too frequently (between 2-4 times a day) but when he does, it is BAD. He also threw up again last night. He is losing weight and I feel awful for him. For the first couple days, he didn't want to eat much at all. Now he acts hungry, but it just all comes right out one way or the other if he does eat.

I've been trying the BRAT diet, and I have also been giving him slippery elm 4 times a day (in a tiny bit of molasses and water). Oh, and I have been giving him probiotics in mashed bananas or a spoonful of yogurt as well as putting some up his bum, trying to colonize both ends of his tract.

How much should I let/encourage him to eat? Are there other herbs or treatments I am missing?? Would you take yours to the doc for this??

TIA,
Corrie
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:38:41 AM by corriebeth »
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
I'm so sorry! 
I started compiling the cold/flu remedies at the end of the summer from this site.  Here are some things that you might find helpful:

Check out this post called "The Real Cure for Stomach Flu"
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15857.msg193122.html#msg193122

and this recipe sounds good for keeping them hydrated:

Homemade Pedialite
A Doctor who is a missionary in El Salvador created this recipe.

1 quart water
8 tsp. sugar (I think I'd use honey instead)
1/2 tsp. salt
Fresh juice of 1/2 orange or 1 banana blended.

Mix all together.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »
I don't know if you would call this recurring or not but im not sure where to post this and it sure is a strange virus.

Monday morning i found my 2yr old sleeping in her own throw up. I cleaned her up and hoped it wasn't a virus. She was fine all day and then threw up at 3. She says her tummy hurts about 10 min before she throws up. She doesn't cry but wiggles a lot and makes mad and sad faces. After 3 she was fine until 7. Then she went to bed about 8 and slept all night long. She woke up Tuesday just fine and played until we had to leave to get her big sis. On the way there she threw up again. She waited for 16 hours so i thought she was fine. I was shocked to see her sick again. She never threw up again after that. It was 11 AM the last time she threw up Tuesday and she went all day and into the night. DH found her this morning sleeping in puke again.  I have no idea what time she did it but he found her that way at 5AM.

WHAT could this be? I have never heard of a virus like this and its getting me worried. Not only that....why has nobody else gotten it? We have insurance but it stinks! We have to pay for everything up front until it hits 1700 bucks and then they take over. I don't want to take her to the dr if its nothing and be paying 100's of dollars for them to tell me they don't know. Im just wondering if anyone else has had a virus that did something like this.

One more thing...Friday i had a horrible stomach ache but didn't know why. It didn't feel like gas but i hurt so bad i couldn't walk. The next day it was gone but i was sore in my stomach so bad i could stand my pants pushing against it. The day after that i had bad gas that had my doubled over until i finally went to the bathroom in the afternoon which is weird cuz i never go in the evening...only in the morning for some reason.  :-[ Could i have had the virus and not even known it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:15:50 AM by twitterpated4hubby »
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
twitterpated, check out the 2009 flu thread. The symptoms you are describing in both yourself and daughter are typical of the current virus going around. We have had it at our house as have others around us. Very strange virus! http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,22389.0.html

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:27:37 AM »
Thank you J  ;)

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
check this out:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,23313.msg221414/topicseen.html#new

i found lots of great info on the link provided. 

i would add to "Can norovirus be prevented?"

yes! by taking your supertonic every day after being exposed! 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,223.0.html

i am more blessed than ever after discovering this stuff!!!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »
Hi
 I've read through all these differant threads on stomach viruses and reocurring one. I am better equipped in dealing with them but I still have some questions - so come brainstorm with me if you will. My family has gotten a stomach virus at least 3 times every year. Some of us (mainly me) have it more often!) I know that alot has to do with diet which I do handle pretty good but definitely could be better. I need to get them on kefir on a daily basis for instance. I am just trying to figure out if there are any other intestinal reasons that we could be getting these so frequently. My friend is pretty convinced that it is from our cats. Our cats are indoor/outdoor  and have free reign of the house- countertops etc (well unless i see them than i get them down). She says its coming from outside and then they walk all over the countertops. I agree that it's unsanitary and so are kittylitter cats that walk every where. My other problem is that I spent alot of time as a child with stomach viruses- no outdoor cats then. My husband NEVER dealt with stomach viruses until the first year of being married to me. He always had cats- indoor outdoor. My brother and his family were just visiting and the wife came down with vomiting and overall sickness and from there we pretty much all got it. My brother is convinced it lives in the dirt and since we had a dog (gone for a few months now) that pooped outside and my kids were always outside that where they pick it up. I am not sure of that- although we have always had dogs when i was growing up and i am still the one that was sick the most. SOOOO where do i begin in getting myself up to par so i stop getting so much. Right now i am 6 1/2 months pregnant so no cleanses. ANd anyother ideas in what it could be?
  Ok so that's alot for now.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
hey kittyninja, we have indoor outdoor cats and one of them is ornery and won't stay off the counters/table unless scolded.  we used to get it about like you until this winter.  we even got it in the summer time.  the only thing that has changed is the addition of the supertonic.  the kids take a daily probiotic, but we don't really eat much fermented food except Kombucha.  my kids always got it worse than me.  occasional yogurt, no kefir anymore.  i could usually figure out who we got it from.  it was almost always someone we knew that had a stomach virus right before we got it.  only a couple times we didn't know where it came from.  but we are all really excited about what supertonic has done for all this, cuz i hate that virus more than anything else!   :P ::)  hope you figure out what is causing it so much.  i guess i think for my family their low good bacteria level was causing their immune system to be low. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:01 AM »
I'm so sorry! 
I started compiling the cold/flu remedies at the end of the summer from this site.  Here are some things that you might find helpful:

Check out this post called "The Real Cure for Stomach Flu"
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15857.msg193122.html#msg193122

and this recipe sounds good for keeping them hydrated:

Homemade Pedialite
A Doctor who is a missionary in El Salvador created this recipe.

1 quart water
8 tsp. sugar (I think I'd use honey instead)
1/2 tsp. salt
Fresh juice of 1/2 orange or 1 banana blended.

Mix all together.

Hey I am so glad I read that!  We are moving to CA as missionaries and that will be a big help!

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »
Hi
 I've read through all these differant threads on stomach viruses and reocurring one. I am better equipped in dealing with them but I still have some questions - so come brainstorm with me if you will. My family has gotten a stomach virus at least 3 times every year. Some of us (mainly me) have it more often!) I know that alot has to do with diet which I do handle pretty good but definitely could be better. I need to get them on kefir on a daily basis for instance. I am just trying to figure out if there are any other intestinal reasons that we could be getting these so frequently. My friend is pretty convinced that it is from our cats. Our cats are indoor/outdoor  and have free reign of the house- countertops etc (well unless i see them than i get them down). She says its coming from outside and then they walk all over the countertops. I agree that it's unsanitary and so are kittylitter cats that walk every where. My other problem is that I spent alot of time as a child with stomach viruses- no outdoor cats then. My husband NEVER dealt with stomach viruses until the first year of being married to me. He always had cats- indoor outdoor. My brother and his family were just visiting and the wife came down with vomiting and overall sickness and from there we pretty much all got it. My brother is convinced it lives in the dirt and since we had a dog (gone for a few months now) that pooped outside and my kids were always outside that where they pick it up. I am not sure of that- although we have always had dogs when i was growing up and i am still the one that was sick the most. SOOOO where do i begin in getting myself up to par so i stop getting so much. Right now i am 6 1/2 months pregnant so no cleanses. ANd anyother ideas in what it could be?
  Ok so that's alot for now.

I would definitely consider getting rid of any animals in the house!!   Most intestinal problems are caused by GERMS, so get rid of the animals in the house.    Also, do your kids take a probiotic?

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 05:33:56 AM »
Thank you ladies. My sweetie is all better today. I'm wondering if we are next but so far everyone is fine. I am having some strange gurgling in my stomach and gas bubbles so I'm wondering if that's a sign that its coming.  :o

I hope its as easy on me as it was her.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
We had the following symptoms:
gassy, not hungry feeling a few hours before onset.
vomitting (this varried in duration for each family member)
and possibly diarreah
There was a 48 hour gestation period before the next person got sick.

Once these symptoms abate, we found that our appetites just weren't the same.  It took days for us to feel up to eating, and my appetite is still very repressed weeks later.  We also got a bout of the regular flu right on the heels.  It seems that this bug really wiped out our GI track, and greatly lowered our immune systems.

The only thing that really impressed me is the Oregano Oil, which wiped out round 2 of the stomach bug for me and the kids.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.