† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Help for Rotavirus  (Read 8685 times)

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Help for Rotavirus
« on: August 18, 2006, 07:12:09 AM »
I hope someone has some advice to give.  My 2yo daughter has come down with rotavirus.  She had it when she was about 9 months old....it was horrible.  She was in the hospital for 4 days.  So dehydrated she could barely lift her head.  We are on the second day, and I CANNOT keep up with the fluids.  I am not giving her any dairy as that can irritate her bowels.  Mainly just decaffinated or red rasberry tea sweetened with honey.  She loves tea, so this a great treat since I rarely let her have it.  She is drinking as much as she can, but it seems that twice as much is coming out than going in.  I really don't know what else to do, and it looks like she will have to go to the hospital for some IV fluids.  If nothing else...PLEASE PRAY!!!!  I am 36 weeks pregnant, we are moving into our new house this weekend, and my sister-in-law potty trained her the beginning of this week. 
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline queentea

• Adept
Re: Help for Rotavirus
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »
If you have Tummy Tune Up I HIGHLY reccomend that you sprinkle some of that on some yogurt or something that she can get down.  You only need a few bites to mix it in.  If you don't have TTU, if you can get to a Health Food Store and get some probiotics and do the same.  I have had great success with TTU and stomach aches, nausea.  We haven't had a stomach flu yet, but I know that Rebecca had great success with her family using TTU during a seven day flu.  TTU is a must for the "medicine cabinet", IMO.  I will be praying for you and your family.  I believe that you can take TTU while pregnant, though I would check to be sure.  You would want to protect yourself the virus as severe vomiting can induce premature labor.  Hope this helps!
Lisa

You want the TTU 8, I believe.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
OK..another question.  My daughter has been vomiting for a day and a half.  We are keeping her hydrated with red rasberry tea sweetened with honey.  I have been giving her a saltine cracker ever 10-15 minutes, but if I give her any more than that, even 2 crackers, she pukes it up.  She has been coughing and a little congestion, so I don't know if that is contributing to the vomiting.  I am giving her a probiotic in her rasberry tea...not Tummy Tuneup, but it's all I have.  Is there an herb that I can maybe put in her tea to help stop the vomiting.  She cannot keep anything down but the rasberry tea.  The diarrhea is slowing down...I think the combo of the red rasberry leaves and the probiotics are helping.  She is having plenty of wet diapers, so I am not too worried about dehydration now the diarrhea is slowing down.  The main thing is she IS hungry.  Saltines aren't doing it anymore.  HELP!!!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:27:03 PM »
I have heard that Ginger is good for nausea and vomiting, and I think you could steep it with her red raspberry tea.  Maybe instead of crackers, try even a few bites of yogurt with the probiotic in it, the hot tea maybe killing off some of the probiotics???  Next chance you get, I would HIGHLY reccommend getting TTU, I know that I will never be without it.   Let me know if you try the ginger and if it helps...glad to hear she is doing better, will keep praying for you all.  Hope you are taking you probiotics, you certainly don't need to get sick now :o!!
Lisa

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 01:32:57 AM »
Blackberries in any form are supposed to be great for stopping diarrea.   My SIL bought me some last time I had stomach virus/diarrea and it worked!  It just didnt work for the vomiting part.....at least not immediately
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:36:31 PM »
Try mashing up bananas and spoon feeding her those, or give her plenty of watermelon, canteloupe and other juicy fruits. And lots of pro-biotics. Lots. keep doing that, although if it's the Mama's Red raspberry tea, it has nettle in it, which is a mild laxative, it may counter-productive. But, if the diarrhea is slowing down a bit with the probiotics, keep doing what you're doing! I'll be praying for your daughter and for strength for you. Hang in there! 

Renee

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:07 AM »
My friend just told me that her nephew got roto virus (sp?) from swimming in the lake. Anyone hear of this. We have a 1/2 acre pond which is 13 ft deep at one point,,,but it has the run-off of the whole forest in it...should I be concerned having them swim in it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 01:17:36 PM by natural »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
I think what you are talking about is called the rotavirus.  My son had this when he was 2.  He threw up and had horrible diareah for 3 days and finally got so dehydrated he had to be hospitalized.  I would not go anywhere near this nasty virus. 

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Thanks, that helps a lot,,I changed my topic heading too.

Well I am not sure this pond has it nor am I sure if you can get it from the lake. So, now that I have the proper spelling does anyone have any further info on it?
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »
Do you all think that Colloidal Silver will help with Rotavirus?  My nieces & nephews have it and I am trying to prevent my girls from getting it.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
Not sure about the silver but I know Grapefruit seed crush is supposed to help :)

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 03:26:45 AM »
My 2 yr old has been diag.with Rhoda virus. I don't know if I have the right spelling and can't find any info on well tell me. Does anyone have any info on how to help this along. Web md says vomiting can last 3-7 days and the diarrhea can last 3-14 days. not much help there! Can I give him oregano oil for the anti viral benefit? If so how much? What else could  I give him besides garlic? Thanks for any info!

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:35:08 AM »
I am not positive, but I think it is spelled "Roto-virus."  My son was diagnosed with this when he was 2.  He ended up in the hospital twice in two weeks for dehydration. 
I believe this virus just needs to run it's course.  You could try garlic, and maybe grapefruit seed extract--someone else help me regarding GSE.  The main thing is to try and keep him hydrated.  We when he was vomiting we would try giving sips of Gatorade or Pedialyte every 5 to 15 minutes.  With diareah we would just keep trying to get as much in as we were getting out or more.

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 03:54:56 AM »
we are doing the Gatorade every few minutes. The DR. gave us Zofran to stop the vomiting because he was close to needing an IV for fluids. So far so good on that. I just want to spped it up and make sure my other 2 don't get it. Thanks for your info. I didn't think about the GSE. Does anyone have a dosage on this?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »
Hello my dear!  Scary business, I know.  Personally, I would not give the Gatorade.  There is dye in it, plus other chemicals, that make it hard on the body.  You could give water with sea salt - maybe 1/8 tsp per 16 ounces?  I bet there's a dosage of that around here somewhere.  And the GSE - you can do a few drops in a cup of diluted juice.  See if you can find a probiotic - in a capsule - and break it open and sprinkle the powder on your little one's tongue.
Black tea is good for sipping in tsp amounts - easier on the system than plain water.  Avoid anything with sugar in it!  I'd only use the juice for getting other stuff down like the GSE, and then very diluted.
If food becomes an option - start with the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. (not all at once!)
There are some clever ladies here that could point you to better specifics.  My main advice would be to stop the Gatorade (icky fake chemicals) and start the water with sea salt or black tea.
As far as spreading!  If you can isolate your tot that is sick - one bathroom only - that might help.  Wash wash wash your hands and hers.  Throw out her toothbrush and depending upon where the other brushes are, either pitch them or clean them (you can use GSE for this, too!).  Clean all your doorknobs and handles and surfaces with bleach.
It's so hard to keep it under control.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 04:38:42 AM »
Yeah, ya have it spelled wrong, sweetie.  But that is okay, cause that's what we are here for!  ;)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1938.0.html

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 05:15:45 AM »
My son had vomiting and diarreah for 2 weeks or so when he was 2.  Finally the doctor said to get some Florajen probiotics and it started going away. Probiotics work, but when they are throwing up nonstop its hard to keep it down!  We drink flat Coke when we are throwing up all the time like that.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »
For any intestinal issue, we use probiotics.  I give it after each visit to the bathroom. 

I have also used charcoal, but that's harder to get in to little ones.  I also give that after each visit to the bathroom.

The flat Coke may help.  I might also try small sips of peppermint tea.

I had a Dr. tell me to give bites of yogurt (plain) and for a treat, a few Pringles chips. 
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 05:43:30 AM »
We use virus stop and it keeps everyone else from getting the virus. I am going to test it out next time someone gets a virus and give them some virus stop by opening the pill and sprinkling it on some yogurt because i didn't think of that before and they would just throw up the pill. Every time we have ever used this, nobody else catches the virus in the house so i know it works.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »
Tea Pop-sicles with GSE in them for everyone.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:02 AM »
The only problem with GSE is that it wipes out everything.  It's like an antibiotic in that it kills the good with the bad.

You need to quickly use a good probiotic after you use GSE or you can run into problems.

I got one of the worst yeast infections after I used GSE once. :P

It is great at killing off the bad.  And it makes a great  cleaning product.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 11:13:38 AM »
So Garlic, ginger,peppermint tea Popsicles?  :)
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »
ok, I gave tummy tune up, berry well and GSE and Vit C and he was "over" it in 1 week.  Now 1 week later he is starting in with the nasty diapers again. I know the Dr  said you can get it again, so I guess I need to bleach everything again and start it all over again. No one else in our home has gotten it. Is there a chance its not Rota Virus ? Since he has the NASTY NASTY diapers that just run everywhere and make you want to vomit, the Dr was pretty sure without doing any tests.
Are there any other virus strains that resemble this?
thanks for all the input so far....

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »
I know the Dr  said you can get it again, so I guess I need to bleach everything again and start it all over again. No one else in our home has gotten it. Is there a chance its not Rota Virus ?

My children were hospitalized for a week with the rotavirus in 2007. From my understanding of what the doctors told me, you can get the rotavirus again. BUT if you get it in the Fall/Winter time you are immune from getting it again that season. When it goes around again in the Spring/Summer you could get it again. So as long as my understanding is correct, I doubt he has the rotavirus again.

The only way to confirm rotavirus is with a stool sample. Both of my children had the test done in 2007 so we know for sure that they had the rotavirus.

We just had a nasty stomach virus over Thanksgiving and it took me a week to recover. So he could have picked up another virus. We thought it was the rotavirus at first but the kids pediatrician described how a virus going around started and that is how this one started in our family.

Hope that helps.

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 04:20:03 AM »
Has anyone considered giving their child the vaccination for roto-virus???

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
 For me, no on the vaccine, for the same reasons as not giving the other shots.  Any of the other "childhood" diseases people immunize for are either more or less dangerous than rotavirus.  So we just concentrate on building healthy immune systems in our kids and have good nutrition and practice good hygeine.

I have no idea if any of my kids have had rotavirus.  There have been some stomach bugs through the years, but none that go on and on or with raging diapers.  So maybe not.  I think it tends to run rampant in schools and daycares where there are diapers and poor handwashing and such.

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:52 AM »
The reason for asking that question about the shot, is that we are planning on moving to Central America this Spring for mission work.   Roto-virus goes around every spring down there and is so much worse. 

Anyone else have any info on this?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
Bumping this up. My boys have all had it, but none under a year old. Most of them had only the diarrhea.

I know I tried many different remedies. None of which seemed to make much difference except for the one child who got it last and I caught it early with antiviral remedies

The most important thing is hydration while the virus runs it's course. Plain water won't work, you need to use tea, sports drinks, or something with potassium, sodium, and touch of glucose.