Author Topic: New here - need help with PMS, heavy flow & Vitex  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Leashy

• Wide Eyed
New here - need help with PMS, heavy flow & Vitex
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Hi everyone.  I found this board looking for info on how to STOP bleeding!  I know, not really smart.  You guys seem like you know a lot, so here I am.  I'm hoping someone can help me.  ;D

Here's the deal - I've had irregular periods for the last 12 years (since I had a baby and immediately went on Depo).  My periods were awfully heavy and inconsistent... Gyno said take advil to slow it down, it worked.  I stopped getting depo after the 3rd or 4th shot because I couldn't take the month long spotting/light bleeding followed by normal periods.

Anyway, I'm not trying to have a baby, but Vitex was recommended to me in case we ever decided to have another.  It's obvious I'm not ovulating correctly, if at all, because I could go 2 months without a period or have it off and on for an entire month.  And I think it would be nice to ovulate and have a normal cycle for once.  ;D

So I started taking Vitex 3 weeks ago.  Tomorrow I will have had my period for 14 days.  It is by far the heaviest, grossest thing, ever!

I'm crampy when passing clots (which are large sometimes) but when I'm not I feel fine and no loss of energy.  (besides the fact that I'd rather climb in a hole than go in public for fear of an accident)

With how heavy this period is, I stopped taking the vitex 4 days into it, I could come up with no other reason and I didn't know what else to do.

If I take advil regularly, the flow slows down a lot, no cramps and I have peace.  When it wears off, it starts all over again.

I'm not happy, but I want so badly for Vitex to work and I'm scared to start taking it again.

Can anyone help?  I am so tired of bleeding.

Edited to add: I'm 30 years old and I'm on Adipex for weight loss - don't know if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:18:02 AM by Leashy »

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: New here - need help with PMS, heavy flow & Vitex
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »
Leashy-

Have you read this topic?

Vitex (Chasteberry)

That might give you a little insight and if you post some questions there, those who watch that topic will be more likely to see your question.

Here's the deal - I've had irregular periods for the last 12 years (since I had a baby and immediately went on Depo).  My periods were awfully heavy and inconsistent... Gyno said take advil to slow it down, it worked.  I stopped getting depo after the 3rd or 4th shot because I couldn't take the month long spotting/light bleeding followed by normal periods.

So, just to be sure I understand...  12 yrs ago you had a baby and then 3 or 4 of the Depo shots in a series.  In these 12 yrs, you have had irregular periods/spotting/light bleeding and it's never really gotten straightened around to normal, though things were 'normal' before that  -  or do I have the timeline wrong?

I have some ideas (I'm guessing several here do), but I'm not sure on the time detail here.

Thanks-
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 04:17:33 AM »
My thought is that you might be estrogen dominant in which case the vitex might help; however, estrogen dominance isn't something that just "happens".  It's caused by diet and environmental factors.  The vitex might not be enough to change the balance in your favor until you take steps to remove the cause(s).

The things I would look into first if I were you is SLS, hormone injected meats, soy fed meats, and soy processed foods.  I've also recently read that parabens and other ingredients in regular makeup can mimic estrogen in the body much like SLS and soy.   Candida can also be a huge contributor because even if you're getting progesterone supplemented in the form of yam or vitex, the yeast can convert it into food for itself leaving you depleted (estrogen dominant) in spite of the supplementation.

Bleeding Between Normal Menstrual Cycles: Long & Irregular Cycles [Periods]
Irregular Bleeding [Spotting] Following Menstrual Cycle [Period]
Suddenly Irregular Menstral Cycles
Irregular/Difficult Menstrual Cycles & PMS: Cramps, Bloating/Water Gain, Nausea, Etc.
Estrogen Dominance & Other Hormone Imbances: Causes & Cures
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome [PCOS]: Diagnosis & Cures
Ovarian Cysts: Causes & Cures

Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS)
Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem: Going "No Poo"
Why and How to Skip the Soap...
Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)
Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products
Toothpaste & Dental Care
Homemade Dishwasher Soap
Homemade Dish Washing Soap
Soap Making: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
Soap Nuts
Can your soap pass a drug test?

I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Fungal-Bacterial Infections
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]
Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
Low Carb Recipes [Atkins, Anti-Candida, High Protein, etc.]
Natural Antifungals
Fighting Candida w/o Sugar [Carb] Restrictions
Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:52:01 AM »
From what I understand of her question, she is wondering how to stop the bleeding that she is having--then fixing the hormones would be the secondary issue.  I have been watching this thread because I have had the constant bleeding problem after having my babies.  I have hesitated to put in my 2 cents yet because I don't know the answer to stopping the constant bleeding without using artificial hormones.  The only thing that stopped the bleeding for me was Yasmin (birth control pill), but the more I'm learning I would NOT recommend going that route.  But the catch 22 is that you can't go on bleeding forever, and it takes time for the elimination of hormone altering substances such as SLS to work in fixing your hormones. 
I have eliminated most SLS from my general use--the only thing I have not been able to substitute is dish detergent--and most of our meats are hormone free.  And this has been several months and my hormones are not straightened out yet to the point where I have a period, and then stop bleeding until the next period.  I have had one period, but since it ended I am still spotting.  I am in the process of cleansing so can't say if that is changing my hormones yet.  But anyway...for those of you have more expertise than I do in managing hormones naturally....
Is there a way to stop constant bleeding without waiting the months and months to have your hormones heal themselves? 

Offline Leashy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:24:12 AM »
Hi Sarah - You're right.  Prior to having my son, my periods were regular and normal.  Had baby, and I believe it was my first cycle after having him that I started Depo.  Was on it for a year, bled probably 3/4 of the time in that year.  Since then, totally irregular, but not too excessive until I started the Vitex 3 weeks ago.

I think it is finally slowing down (PRAYING), I don't know how much more of this I can take.

So I wanted to know how to stop the bleeding for right now, and then I'd like to know how to use Vitex properly or something else to get on track and ovulate normally for once.

Offline Leashy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »
Thank you for all the replies!

It's nice to know I'm not alone, although I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy.  :(

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
  Leashy,

Have you ever had your hormones checked? From what I have read the most accurate tests are the saliva tests. Seems like the more (natural) Drs do these. I don't know what others reading here would say, but I think if I was bleeding for weeks on end, that's what I would do,for faster results.

I think it's really strange, because I'm the one who takes vitex when I have a super heavy period and it always works to slow it down!  :-\ BUT I also know that I have low progesterone. Just recently I got it checked with a natural Dr ,per saliva test and it was way low,so that might make a difference in how it effects us?

I suspected that for years and was ,on and off, using progesterone creams etc. The sad part is I wasted money on a progesterone test through another medical Dr. who did the test on the wrong day( I was charting and knew better then he did) and he said my levels were normal!

All this to say if you end up getting tested, make sure you do it with a Dr who knows what he's doing. I don't live in PA, but I found a Dr there who will do it all via, mail. PM if you want more info. These are all natural no synthetic, cream/drops that he compounds especially for you, the patient. HTH

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
Thank you for all the replies!

It's nice to know I'm not alone, although I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy.  :(

I know what you mean!  it's no fun, that's for sure.  but isolation compounds problems. :(
My problems didn't start from depo--I have never been regular.  Depo was one of the things I have never tried although I tried almost everything else under the sun by way of artificial hormones to regulate my cycles.  Needless to say, it did nothing permanently helpful.  I ended up with a diagnosis of pcos which I am trying to find ways of managing without artificial hormones.  If I were you, I'd probably go read over as many of HB's topics as you can--there's a LOT of info there on understanding hormones and estrogen dominance.  
But so far I have not found any helpful info on here on how to STOP bleeding either.  Is it here, am I missing it?  or has no one out there solved this problem naturally? ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:18:10 AM »
Supplementing progesterone or causing a surge with natural supps like vitex or wild yam I think could definitely help, but if the cause is still present, then you're going to fighting an uphill battle.  I am merely suggesting removing the cause first and then move on to supplementation if it's needed.  I take vitex and have taken wild yam and they can help, but if you're feeding yeast, it will be next to impossible to supplement enough to feed your own needs and the candida too.  If you continue to use estrogen laden products, the need for the progesterone supplementation will be immense and may never really give you the healing that you need.  If you remove the cause then supplementation could prove immensely helpful and you may only need it temporarily until things get back to normal.
  My favorite herb book!!