Author Topic: Eucalyptus Oil: How, When, Why to Use  (Read 20324 times)

Offline Julia

• Master
Eucalyptus Oil: How, When, Why to Use
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »
I know we have a lot of threads which talk about using eucalyptus oil, but I didn't see any which were entirely devoted to it and I had a question about it so I thought I'd start one.

I thought I read (from Rebekah, somewhere) to put 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil in bathwater to help clear up a stuffy child, or to put it on a washcloth and inhale from the washcloth. I've done this for a while and it works, more or less. However, I was just reading on the Beeyoutiful website that it is toxic and you shouldn't use it with children! It said it could be toxic to swallow even a teaspoon, and that it would burn the skin. I don't know about you all, but my toddler tends to swallow some of her bathwater, and if it were on a washcloth or pillowcase it would definitely touch their skin. I've never had any adverse reactions, has anyone? Do you think it's just one of those "be overly safe" type of warnings? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Eucalyptus Oil: How, When, Why to Use
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »
It will burn the skin/eyes/nose in great amounts just like vicks, but I've diluted it with coconut oil for neck/shoulder massage to help clear hubby's congestion.  He had no complaints.

One of my kids doesn't like the sting and refuses the cloth, but he doesn't mind it in the bathwater.  The other one asks for the cloth when she's croupy and has a sore throat.

My kids always drink their bathwater - no matter what's in it.  I have read no research that says it's toxic, but I've also seen no ill effects from it.  If there are any, it must be in massive doses (1 teaspoon would be ALOT  :o ) or long term.   :-\

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:13:34 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:30:42 AM »
I was reading the same thing in the latest Beeyoutiful catalog about eucalyptus oil not being safe during pregnancy and wondered why? I have used it in a vaporizer with infants before, I didn't know it wasn't safe. It always helped with the stuffy noses. I have also used it in one of those ceramic clay rings that you put on the top of your light bulb, like aromatherapy. What can it do to harm? Just curious, cause I love the smell of eucalyptus. ::)

Offline CarlyB

• Adept
  • DD#2 with me
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »
I was reading the same thing in the latest Beeyoutiful catalog about eucalyptus oil not being safe during pregnancy and wondered why? I have used it in a vaporizer with infants before, I didn't know it wasn't safe. It always helped with the stuffy noses. I have also used it in one of those ceramic clay rings that you put on the top of your light bulb, like aromatherapy. What can it do to harm? Just curious, cause I love the smell of eucalyptus. ::)

I have been using this in my bath salt for the kids and myself. I need to know if it is safe also.
Wife of Mr. Steady... wonderful hubby.

Mother to DD-9, DS-6, DS-4, DD-2, and DD- less than 1

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
Once I brought it on a trip with me - and then managed to start coming down with a cold. I was putting a few drops on my pillowcase at night to try and ward it off. Then I accidentally spilled a whole bunch on my pillow! I couldn't let it go to waste so I slept on that pillow and breathed some potent eucalyptus all night. I'm not sure how much it helped fight off my cold but I was fine and didn't get poisoned or burned!

I'll try to research it more if I have time! The warnings I am referring to are at www.beeyoutiful.com (type in eucalyptus).

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
For traveling this is a good way to use eucalyptus ess oil. DH keeps one of these in his work truck:

A sniffer bottle which was a old brown glass bottle that I stuffed tissue paper into. I put ess oils on the paper- eucalyptus, peppermint & thyme. He kept it in the cab & sniffed it for alertness while driving & if he was stuffy or coughing. I refreshed the oils when necessary just by adding more oil- I didn't change the paper. I originally made it just for if he was sick but he found that it helped with alertness also. If someone wanted to make one of these just for alertness there are other oils that work better. The idea can be used with any ess. oil.

I HAVE changed the paper in it since I first posted this.  ;) :D He had been using it regularly for a few years  ::) with me just refreshing the oils as needed, I figured it was about time to change out the paper.  ;) ::) When you change the paper, wash the bottle out but make SURE it's COMPLETELY dry before putting new paper in or any remaining moisture could cause it to mold.  :P Cotton would work also but tissue paper is what I had handy when I first made the bottle. I have even made them before with printer (typing) paper or TP when it was what I had on hand.

You can also take a smaller bottle & put ess oil treated rock salt in it. In this day & age though it could be mistaken for something else though. That's why I didn't use it for DH's since this is used in his work vehicle. The advantage to salt is that it absorbs more ess oil so you can use a smaller bottle. The disadvantage is that the salt can spill. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »
What a great idea!  I always keep a bottle of Eucalyptus EO with a dry wash cloth in my diaper bag in case of emergency need, but this would be better since I wouldn't have to have a whole separate bottle from the one I keep at home.  Good thinking!!  ~L

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
Weighing in here.  I'm not sure that "toxic" was accurate of the best use of words regarding Beeyoutiful's Eucalyptus oil.  The oil that we sell is really potent, stronger than a lot of others out there and so we feel we need the disclaimer.  Some folks don't know how powerful essential oils can be and this one in particular.  I ruined two vaporizers shortly after we got it on board.  I loved the smell of the oil and it helped when we were sick, so I poured a little in the water.  Melted the polycarbonate plastic.  So, don't use it in your jacuzzi tub.  It could melt your nozzles or parts of your pump.

Some folks might be able to put Eucalyptus Oil directly on their skin and not get burned.  For others it could cause a really bad burn - and as you know infant skin tends to be a lot more tender than the rest of ours, hence the warnings.  Overdoing just about anything, even water, is deadly.  Use in moderation, with a little bit of common sense, and there should be no problems.  We like using an essential oil diffuser, but they are kind of pricey.  We guard ours carefully.  It has saved us and others from a lot of doctor visits and while not quite worth its weight in gold, it might just save us that much over the next few years.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline Number18

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
Does anybody know if you can just add a drop of Eucalyptus Oil in All Purpose Cleaner that is made with baking soda, borax, liquid detergent and hot water?  All the cleaning recipes that I read in the threads included other oils like peppermint or tree oil.  Does Eucalyptus oil has to be diluted with other oil?  or can it be just mix one drop with water?
There is no such thing as a little decision.  Every decision you make is a life changing one.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
Does anybody know if you can just add a drop of Eucalyptus Oil in All Purpose Cleaner that is made with baking soda, borax, liquid detergent and hot water?  All the cleaning recipes that I read in the threads included other oils like peppermint or tree oil.  Does Eucalyptus oil has to be diluted with other oil?  or can it be just mix one drop with water?

Personally, I don't see why that would be a problem.  I myself would not hesitate to use it.  By having it in the All Purpose Cleaner, it would be diluted (which it should be).  I do not think it needs to be diluted specifically with an oil; it is just not wise to use it full strength on your skin as it can burn.

HTH!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Number18

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
Thank you, Esposita!  I wanted to make sure it will not make a whole in the toilet or linolieum floor or tub or anything else I plan to clean with.  The key is to use it with a little drop, I guess
There is no such thing as a little decision.  Every decision you make is a life changing one.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Thank you, Esposita!  I wanted to make sure it will not make a whole in the toilet or linolieum floor or tub or anything else I plan to clean with.  The key is to use it with a little drop, I guess

I wouldn't hesitate to use 15-20, maybe even 30 drops per big ol' spray bottle of cleaning solution.  (But then, I do tend to be excessive...) 

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
Is eucalyptus oil safe in pregnancy? I read on a few web sites that it is not, but they didn't say why. DH wants to put it in the humidifier tonight.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
Any answers?
I also worried about that because I used it in the nebulizer on my children while I was pregnant and I couldn't avoid breathing it in.  I never found a real definitive answer, so I had to use my best judgment.  ~L

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
I have never hesitated to use it.  :)

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
Weighing in here.  I'm not sure that "toxic" was accurate of the best use of words regarding Beeyoutiful's Eucalyptus oil.  The oil that we sell is really potent, stronger than a lot of others out there and so we feel we need the disclaimer.  Some folks don't know how powerful essential oils can be and this one in particular.  I ruined two vaporizers shortly after we got it on board.  I loved the smell of the oil and it helped when we were sick, so I poured a little in the water.  Melted the polycarbonate plastic.  So, don't use it in your jacuzzi tub.  It could melt your nozzles or parts of your pump.

Some folks might be able to put Eucalyptus Oil directly on their skin and not get burned.  For others it could cause a really bad burn - and as you know infant skin tends to be a lot more tender than the rest of ours, hence the warnings.  Overdoing just about anything, even water, is deadly.  Use in moderation, with a little bit of common sense, and there should be no problems.  We like using an essential oil diffuser, but they are kind of pricey.  We guard ours carefully.  It has saved us and others from a lot of doctor visits and while not quite worth its weight in gold, it might just save us that much over the next few years.

Did it melt the plastic because you added the eucalyptus oil in straight by itself or did you dilute it in a carrier oil first? I'm just curious because I don't want to melt my vaporizer!!

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »

Did it melt the plastic because you added the eucalyptus oil in straight by itself or did you dilute it in a carrier oil first? I'm just curious because I don't want to melt my vaporizer!!

Bump!  :) Would it be better to use it in one of those oil things that you light a candle underneath (sorry, the name of it escapes me)? Or can you put a drop or so in a vaporizer?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

Bump!  :) Would it be better to use it in one of those oil things that you light a candle underneath (sorry, the name of it escapes me)? Or can you put a drop or so in a vaporizer?

It sounds like he was talking about putting the eucalyptus ess oil straight into the water of the vaporizer. You CAN'T do that with any ess oil b/c it makes the water boil at a different temp & will overheat the vaporizer in a hurry. What you CAN do is to use a vaporizer that has a medicine cup. Ususally the cup is intended for Vicks Vapor Rub or special Vicks type oil (basically Vicks in an oil form- Kaz is one brand) but we always use pure ess oils instead. The medicine cups are place to where the warm steam passes over or around the medicine cup so it picks up the vapors & dispurses it into the air with the steam. My family & others we know have done it for years with multiple brands of vaporizers & haven't had a problem as long as you DON'T PUT THE ESS OIL INTO THE WATER.

When using ess oils in the medicine cups of vaporizers it can get STRONG depending on how well the vaporizer picks up the vapors from the medicine cup. Start with a smaller amount at first & see if you need more to get the aroma where you want it. Be sure NOT to overfill the medicine cup or spill it when checking the water- if you do you will get the ess oil into the water & the water will overheat & can ruin your vaporizer quick. Some medicine cups on certain styles of vaporizers are very small (think the size of the tip of your finger) so be particularly carefull filling those. Other styles have large cups & they are the one that it's easy to get the aroma in the room way too strong. Any of the styles can get ess oil into the water if you spill it or overfill. As long as you are reasonably careful they work great. 

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:04:25 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
If you have questions for Stallent, you should be able to contact him here.  http://www.beeyoutiful.com/contacts  Their customer service is generally available and always very courteous and helpful.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
So, is Eucalyptus oil safe to use in pregnancy?  Inhaling it even? Or what about putting it in a bath?
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline newmamapjp

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »
I just bought some because my 4 month old has his first cold!  :'(  I put a drop on his sheet in his bed and a few drops in the water of our humidifier. You all said not to put it in vaporizers but what about the humidifier? I too would also like to know about why you shouldn't use it while pregnant.
If I wanted to mix it with coconut oil to rub on chest, what would be the ratio? For an adult? For baby?
Thanks!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
I've used a couple of drops in our cool mist humidifier without any problems.  I have also put 5-10 drops on the bed/pillow of any of our sick kids (from ages 1-10) without adverse effects.  I do have a friend whose 9 mo and 4 yo couldn't handle the EO.  Guess it's a try it and see thing. HTH
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
So, is Eucalyptus oil safe to use in pregnancy?  Inhaling it even? Or what about putting it in a bath?

I've used it during my last 3 pregnancies.  I've put a few drops in my bath (along with a few drops of lavender...very relaxing), I've used it in my homemade herbal vapor rub, and I've put it on a cloth to breathe when I'm stuffy.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline newmamapjp

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »

If I wanted to mix it with coconut oil to rub on chest, what would be the ratio? For an adult? For baby?
Thanks!

Bump

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:51 AM »

Thanks!
Bump

I usually just use eucalyptus in the coconut oil & that's it. I make a small jar of it, keep it in the fridge, (make sure that no one is going to eat it :P) warm it up when I need it. We use the same mix for chest rub & liniment for sore muscles. It doesn't have to be refridgerated but it stays fresher that way. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Can you tell me how much eucalyptus oil and coconut oil you use?  I am using Vicks right now and would gladly make a healthier alternative.  I have eucalyptus oil but none of the others on your list right now.  My youngest is 20 months old.  Thanks!

I don't measure, I go by smell but overall, ess. oils are used at no stonger than 4% ess oil to a carrier oil. 4% works out to be 2 teas ess oil to 1 cup oil or 1/2 teas ess oil to 1/4 cup carrier oil. That would be the STRONGEST you would want to make it, for a toddler you may want to make it weaker. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom