Author Topic: Cholestasis in pregnancy -can I prevent it next time??  (Read 6443 times)

Offline BensJen

• Adept
Cholestasis in pregnancy -can I prevent it next time??
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:50:06 AM »
Okay -I'm new on here and very nervous that I'm possibly starting a new thread in error. (!?) I've looked all over and haven't seen one that addressed my question... so, here goes!  (HB- just correct me if I'm wrong!)

I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl last October -our first baby! My entire pregnancy was healthy and "normal" until the very end. Around week 35 I had terrible itching all over my body -especially my legs. At first my dr dismissed it as possibly dry skin. But when it continued, she decided to run some blood tests. The diagnosis was that I had cholestasis (http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cholestasispregnancy.html -for more details).  Besides the excruciating itching, we found that this condition can even lead to a stillborn birth if left too long. (yikes!) The only "cure" is to deliver the baby and, since I was 37 weeks, they induced me. All my hopes for a 100% natural labor/delivery went down the drain -it was a nightmare!   :'(

My dr says that women with cholestasis during pregnancy have a 90% chance of having it with all subsequent pregnancies.  My husband and I would really love to be able to bring any future children into our family in a more natural and healthy manner. But it doesn't seem possible unless I can find a way to prevent this cholestasis.

Any ideas? 

BTW -I'm planning to nurse my DD as long as she shows interest. Possibly 2 yrs at least. This might complicate matters if I want to be "healed" before my next pregnancy (which will come whenever the Lord wills!).

Thank u for your help!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Cholestasis in pregnancy -can I prevent it next time??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:05:27 AM »
Dandelion Root and Milk Thistle are natural substances that are beneficial to the liver

This was listed under treatments on the link you posted so I would looking for some threads on liver and gallbladder health/cleanses.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »

I just did a search with the words "obstetric cholestasis > herbs > treatment"  and did get a couple of results.  I basically sounded as though the important points were; 1) plenty of good quality water daily, 2) liver cleansing herbs, and 3) monitoring liver function with blood tests during third trimester. 

There are a couple of threads on this forum about liver cleansing and support. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5501.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,940.0.html

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline BensJen

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Thank you!  :)  At least I know where to start now... I'll do some more digging and find out what I can do while I'm nursing, etc. Thanks for the replies!

If there's anyone out there who has kicked something like this before, or has had cholestasis, I'd love to hear your story!

Offline Mands

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
Hi My name is Amanda and I know that its been a few years since your post but if you are out there I would like to find out how (if any) subsequent pregnancies went. I have 2 children but  with my second child I developed cholestasis.  My daught was delivered at 37 weeks by induction (no ceasor necessary).  It was a terrifying experience which has taken me a long time to get over.  Plus it took over a year for my liver to return to a normal level and now I have to be very careful about the medications I take as I have turned yellow before. It initially put me off having a very desired 3 child.   I am now starting to research what are the affects of having another child.  My doctor says the risk of reoccurred is 50/50. I have also been told that I could cause permanent damage to my body. All the information looks at the risk to the baby and I believe that can be managed by delivering early.  NO ONE really talks about the side affects to the mother, I would hate to have another child and it cause damage to make it risky for my other children.

How long did it take you to recover after your initial pregnancy?
Have you had another child and did you get cholestasis again?
IS there any other related issues that you had?

I hope you are well and happy

thanks Amanda