Author Topic: Hair Styles/Styling for Long Hair  (Read 61242 times)

Offline Sonja

• Adept
Hair Styles/Styling for Long Hair
« on: July 11, 2006, 06:43:23 AM »
Hi!

Okay, this may seem like a strange post since I am 35 years old!  :-[  Oh well, I guess it humbles me.   ;D  I am finally getting my hair fairly long!  I never had long hair as a kid (my mom always kept it short).  In high school, I had it longer, but I always had it in a spiral perm.   ::)  A few years ago, I tried to grow it out, but got tired of it and it had no shape or style to it.  So now, it is in great shape (thanks to tips from this forum), and I really like it (so does hubby).  It's still only a few inches past my shoulders, but a good start.  Sooooo, my problem is that I need help with different ways to "fix" it, other than pony tails or jaw clips every day.  I see these really cute, but natural looking girls with their hair just pulled back and some how twisted around with a bit of a "messy", but nice look to it.  I can't seem to do that!   :(  Anyway, I look forward to hearing your tips.  It may help to know that I have rather fine hair.  A lot of barrets I buy don't work as my hair just falls out of them.

Sonja

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Hair Styles/Styling for Long Hair
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:05:14 AM »
A book I really have enjoyed is Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles. Click on the title for a description and pricing.

I'm glad you started this thread because I have a question to add.

My hair reaches to my thighs. I wear it braided to bed at night, but I think this isn't doing too well because the braid gets rubbed against the sheets. I want to avoid breakage -- also, the braid keeps making lumps underneath me during the night. If I wear it in a bun, my neck is at an awkward angle. Flowing free, I'm liable to get scalped by my restless sleeper husband (really, he does these flying, mid-air, flips to turn over at night). I'm considering wearing a night cap. Does anyone have suggestions?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:10:08 AM »
The messy ponytail is big right now.  My teen daughter does it all the time.  I've not tried it, but as far as I can tell, she pulls the hair into a ponytail first, then she folds the ponytail in half and rubberbands it again around the loop and the original band.  Then she fluffs the ends to her liking and sprays.

I personally use a stick in a bun.  I have used chop sticks, barette sticks and even pencils.  Anymore, I just don't really style my hair unless it's down.  I don't know if you can learn the stick from my description, but I'll try (it would be easier just to show you). 

I pull my hair into a ponytail with my hand with my wrist bent and pointing upward. 

Then I hold the hair with only my forefinger and thumb while I pick up the tail with the other hand very close to the other hand.  I then twist the tail and begin to spin it around the base of the tail, all the while maintaining my hold with the first hand (don't let go). 

Once all the hair is wrapped and tucked bun style, your thumb/finger ring should be holding a loop of hair inside the bun.   I take the loop into my other hand and lay it down sideways over the bun.  I then insert the stick into the loop and down towards the scalp to catch the underhair and scoop it up and the point the stick back up and push through (like a saftey pin).

If you want to get fancy, you can put another chop stick or whatever in there across the direction of the first to get that Asian look to it.  It didn't take me long to master this and you're hair should be long enough. 

French braiding looks nice too, but it makes my head uncomfortable.  Ponytails make my head hurt too, but the stick, I never leave home without it in the summer time.

My SIL loves her HairDini.  They are fun to play with for french rolls, and flips, etc.  I have one, but I'm too lazy to mess with it.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:34:58 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:12:49 AM »
A book I really have enjoyed is Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles. Click on the title for a description and pricing.

I'm glad you started this thread because I have a question to add.

My hair reaches to my thighs. I wear it braided to bed at night, but I think this isn't doing too well because the braid gets rubbed against the sheets. I want to avoid breakage -- also, the braid keeps making lumps underneath me during the night. If I wear it in a bun, my neck is at an awkward angle. Flowing free, I'm liable to get scalped by my restless sleeper husband (really, he does these flying, mid-air, flips to turn over at night). I'm considering wearing a night cap. Does anyone have suggestions?

A KING SIZE BED  ;D

I think the old fashioned granny cap or hair net would work.  I made a granny cap a long time ago.  They are really easy if you know how to sew.  You just cut a very large circle (about 24 inches in diameter maybe) and then you hem and sew in some elastic to fit your head.  I would recommend a silky or satiny cloth if possible.  It helps the hair to move without catching.  I usually wear silk scarves to preserve french braids while sleeping.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 07:32:01 AM »

I have the same length hair and the same problems to go with it. I don't know how you'd fit all that hair into a night cap ??? I just put the bun on top of my head most nights. A braid always leaves me with a nest-like mess right above my neck, and it hurts really badly to brush out!
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline dakotarose

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:10:32 AM »
On the subject of hair styling....   any good suggestions for wearing your hair while swimming?  I hate having clips etc in my hair when swimming but neither do I like them just hanging.  Cuz the tan on my back will them have a long white strip running down the middle! :) 

Offline johnnygirl

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 09:25:48 AM »
Mmm... hair! I like hair almost as much as I like feet!  I'm the kind of girl that will spend half an hour on one up-do. I croquet my hair... k, wierd I know, but it's the easiest and coolest thing to do! Just grab a chunk of hair, croquet it with your fingers, and pin it up with bobby pins! (If you don't know how to croquet, get some books at the library and learn.) Another thing I like to do is put it in a bun like someone mentioned before, but use a croquet hook instead of chopsticks. They won't fall out as easily because of the hook on one end. This causes lots of people to stare at your hair in wonder. : )   

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:39 AM »
Sonja, for the cute clipped up look, I can't just twist my hair upward and clip, I have to braid it about half way, then fold it up and clip it. Then I mist the curls with a water bottle and use bobby pins to secure them if they look messy.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:06:03 AM »
Mmm... hair! I like hair almost as much as I like feet!  I'm the kind of girl that will spend half an hour on one up-do. I croquet my hair...

do you mean crochet?   ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »
Mmm... hair! I like hair almost as much as I like feet!  I'm the kind of girl that will spend half an hour on one up-do. I croquet my hair... k, wierd I know, but it's the easiest and coolest thing to do! Just grab a chunk of hair, croquet it with your fingers, and pin it up with bobby pins! (If you don't know how to croquet, get some books at the library and learn.) Another thing I like to do is put it in a bun like someone mentioned before, but use a croquet hook instead of chopsticks. They won't fall out as easily because of the hook on one end. This causes lots of people to stare at your hair in wonder. : )   

Did you mean crochet??  Not criticizing your spelling just making sure you meant like with yarn and not mallets.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12:53 AM »
I have an idea for curly heads that I've done for my mom in the past.  You need someone who can french braid well to do it for you unless you're made of elastic.

You lie on the couch with your head draped over the arm and have someone french braid your hair upside down.  You start at the neck and braid to the crown and band it.  Then you spritz your curls and let them hang over your braid.  It's really neat, but in most cases probably a doo you'll need help with.

I've also done this doo on a girl with very straight hair, but I started at one side of her neck and braided diagnally to the opposite side of the crown and she curled the tail with a curling iron.  This one worked well because her hair was longer and having it lean left the braid showing on one side.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »
justme~ Sounds like we have the same type of hair. I'm kind of the same way too--ponytails & jaw clips. Here's a few other things I do. I'll try my best to explain but it's really hard!!

Pull back a very small thin (1-2" across) section in front with a small flat clip. Sort of like a very toned down Bam Bam look. It makes you look very young. You can also put it up into a messy pony tail. Kind of like this: http://www.totalhair.net/reese-witherspoon-pictures/reese-witherspoon/reese-witherspoon10.php

Do you have layers? It's easier to do stuff if your hair is layered/shaped around your face. I have shorter hair in the front so I part it to the side so the shorter part goes across my forehead and tucks behind my ear. It looks much nicer in a ponytail if your hair is parted that way. Here's some pics on changing the way you part your hair. I find this can really change your look, the way that you part your hair. http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/partinghair.htm

I used head bands sometimes. I like the thin elastic ones that wrap around your head. Sometimes I can get it up into a messy pony tail and it'll look cute. Like this: http://www.totalhair.net/reese-witherspoon-pictures/reese-witherspoon/reese-witherspoon16.php

I do this a lot. I part my hair in the middle or side. Then I gather my hair at the nape of my neck, flip it up and put an elastic around that the little loop I made when I flip it up. This is SO difficult to explain. Then some of the hair falls around my face. Very easy, pretty, and classic. Kind of like this idea: http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/bun.jpg

Half up half down is always pretty. You can do it with a barret, elastic or jaw clip. Make it a little messy, curl the ends and pulls some whisps in the front out. Kind of like this-ish? http://www.totalhair.net/jessica-alba-pictures/jessica-alba/jessica-alba16.php

I also find the if I take the time to curl the end, then no matter how I put my hair up, it always looks nicer. It doesn't take to long either, maybe 5-10 mintues to curl it. I use a 1-2" barrel curler.
And whenever I'm lazy and just do a ponytail I always try to pull out some whisps in the front and by the ears. To do that messy look you pull the hair through the elastic once, but then you only pull a part of it through a few times and pull strands out. I do a loop ponytail a lot. Pull hair through regular sized elastic twice. Then pull through one last time but don't pull hair all the way through and secure elastic. Then pull tight and mess it up a bit.

I don't know if that made any sense! I hope it was helpful.  :)
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline johnnygirl

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 02:57:52 AM »
Umm. yeah...I mean crochet... that would make people stare in wonder, wouldn't it?  ;D Sorry for the spelling error... :-\

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 05:08:42 AM »
Ever heard of pin curls?  I have long hair but this style would work just as well with shorter hair.  I pull my hair into a low ponytail.  Then, making sure use the same amount of hair in 5 pieces, I separate a piece at the top of the ponytail.  I spray it lightly to tame frizzies or fly-aways and, starting at the very end, I roll it up over my fingers all the way to my scalp.  I pin it on both sides of the roll to hold it.  I do 3 more rolls (or pin curls)...one on the left, one on the right, and one on the bottom of the ponytail...always rolling the hair towards my scalp and not the ponytail.  You end up with four sausage looking rolls, top, bottom, left and right.  I spread the hair our a little to make the pin curls flow together.  Then, I use the fifth piece of hair to make a roll, or pin curl in the middle of the other four.  The fifith one kind of sits on top of the others.  I do this with straight hair, but when I had a perm, I did it with curly hair.  It looks kind of messy, but cute.  If you have kind of thin hair (like me), this hairdo makes your hair look really thick and full.  I do the rolls pretty loose to add size.  It is a really elegant, dressy style.  It takes a little while to get the hang of doing the rolls, but once you do, it is simple.  I do my hair in 5 minutes.  Hope this helps.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 05:54:26 AM »
Thank you all for the input.  I greatly appreciate it and I'm blessed by the detail that you put into it which really means you took time to do and I'm very thankful.  It's a fun subject and I look forward to trying them.  I imagine a lot of it will just take practice.  My dexterity isn't that great at it because I've not done it much.   :(  And I don't have the slightest skill in french braiding! 

Sonja

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 06:01:07 AM »
Thank you all for the input.  I greatly appreciate it and I'm blessed by the detail that you put into it which really means you took time to do and I'm very thankful.  It's a fun subject and I look forward to trying them.  I imagine a lot of it will just take practice.  My dexterity isn't that great at it because I've not done it much.   :(  And I don't have the slightest skill in french braiding! 

Sonja

I taught myself using a doll.  If you're trying to learn on yourself though, it's backwards from doing it to someone else.  The most important thing to remember when trying to french braid is the angle of the part.  When you grab the next piece of hair, if it's angled up or down (not parallel to the floor) then your braid will scrunch or fall.  The parts should resemble  straight slices parallel to the floor.  The rest is easy if you know how to braid.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lanabrooke

• Learning
  • always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »
not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if any of you long-hair lovers had some good "up-do" instructions?? :) my hair is almost to my waist (has stayed there for 6 months- if ya have suggestions on getting it to GROW that's appreciated as well !!! :(   :) ) and I can't seem to get it fixed so that   it stays up. :(  other than a bun, which is HIGHLY original and rather boring after awhile. :) anyway, I'm rambling ! Thanks!!! :)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried. ;)

Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 01:07:52 PM »
if ya have suggestions on getting it to GROW that's appreciated as well !!!
For some reason, my hair seems to grow more when I have it trimmed regularly. Also, GNC makes a supplement called Ultra Nourishair that made my hair grow a lot faster!

Here is a great book with several easy and unique styles:
Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles (Klutz)

Lotsaboys told me about it!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:59:47 PM by hedy »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 01:52:32 PM »
if ya have suggestions on getting it to GROW that's appreciated as well !!!

My hair started growing faster and longer as soon as I stopped using shampoo and started using soap and vinegar.  It also doesn't fall out nearly as fast when I brush it or otherwise.  It's hubby's hair clogging the tub drain instead of mine, these days.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 01:03:52 AM »
To get my hair to grow longer (it had stalled at about mid-back, between shoulders and waist), I began to ALWAYS braid my hair at night to protect it, wash only 2 times a week (3 in the summer or if it gets nasty for any other reason) and only brush it if I had sprayed it with Infusium23 LeaveIn treatment.  After it started showing improvement, I came across Fructis Long and Strong shampoo and conditioner.  These really helped my hair kick into high gear.

If you are used to washing your hair every day, begin by washing only every other day and then every 3rd day after about a month.  If you have bangs that don't look good on this program, just wash them only in between the total head of hair wash.  To do this, pin the rest of your hair up and face the shower spray.  Only get the bangs wet, shampoo and rinse. 

I have very thick, wavey hair that gets dried and damaged very easily.  I had tried hot oil treatments and many other "systems" to keep my hair healthy.  Truly, the best results have come from the Fructis (even their regular stuff has helped- that is what I started with before the Long and Strong came out) and the Infusium23 LeaveIn treatment.  I also keep my hair in a loose braid most days and I don't even actually brush it, I use a big, wide toothed comb, kind of like a hair pick.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 07:38:25 AM »
Hair brushes just strip and break hair IMO. I use a wide-toothed comb, but I learned to be selective about the type of comb. When you purchase one, look for one with very polished wide set teeth. Many combs are made of plastic poured into a mold. There are raised seams left on the teeth of these combs that will strip and break the hair folicle. You will pay more for a polished comb, but it is worth the investment.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »
I see these really cute, but natural looking girls with their hair just pulled back and some how twisted around with a bit of a "messy", but nice look to it.  I can't seem to do that!   :( 
Sonja

it's called a messy bun, and my teen daughter is really good at it and used to do it for me.  must be a teen thing.  she got it from a Klutz book called Rainbow hair styles.  it came with hair paints.   ::) :P  
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 05:41:52 AM »
A couple of you have suggested the same "Hair" book and I happened upon it at a used book store!  It has a lot of great ideas in it and so far, I'm just practicing!  Haven't had much turn out good enough that I felt comfortable to wear it out.  My favorite is the Gibson Tuck, but my hair seems to just be a bit too long for it.  I really like the twists and I'm practicing the french braiding on my daughter.  It actually turned out okay and her hair is atrocious right now with all the swimming she's been doing so it was a challenge.  Thanks again everyone!

Sonja

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 05:20:19 AM »
I fix my hair in a bun or butterfly clip with the ends sticking out the top (yes, they look flat and droopy at first) and then I squeeze LA Looks Curl Up gel (Wal mart, not expensive!) onto my fingers and rub it through the ends, sort of teasing it. It works best when my hair is totally dry when I add the gel, and don't use too much, it only takes a little! I finish off with a light weight hair spray. On really humid days, it doesn't always work out, but the good thing is, if it isn't a good hair day, I can always tuck the ends into the bun or clip if nothing else. But most days, it's lovely. ;) And if you have pierced ears, dangle earrings (nothing fancy, just little drops you know?) look great w/ pulled back hair.

Just know that if you want the slightly messy look, you're going to have to rub your ends to style your hair which means you're more likely to get split ends. I get my hair trimmed (ever so slightly, just 1/2 an inch or so) 3-4 times a year. This makes it healthier, and it styles nicer and even grows better. The key to healthy, shiny, fuller hair is to keep the ends trimmed. I know that's no fun when you're trying to grow it out, but it sure pays, I promise! And your hair WILL grow out. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 05:22:04 AM by ALittleMore »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 05:45:51 AM »
I see these really cute, but natural looking girls with their hair just pulled back and some how twisted around with a bit of a "messy", but nice look to it.  I can't seem to do that!   :( 
Sonja

it's called a messy bun, and my teen daughter is really good at it and used to do it for me.  must be a teen thing.  she got it from a Klutz book called Rainbow hair styles.  it came with hair paints.   ::) :P 
  i didn't know there was an instructional manual for it... i'm just lazy and whip it right up. hubby always says how cute it is.
   I have long hair (not as long as some of you  :o) and my hubby got tired of it being just hair hanging there and i got tired of trying to keep it pulled back and coming up with new ways to wear it (what's the use of having long hair if it's pulled back all the time anyway?). SO i went to go get my usual trim and decided to ask fo something differant. My hair stylist was hesistant to cut it off but i asked for something fun. She gave me layers (i know not new but it works) the top of my hair comes to my eye level and a few more layers thrown in. She kept the length but is is bouncier and has some style to it. I wear it down now almost ALWAYS (even in this 110 degree weather) and i can still pull it back if i want to with the help of a couple of clips. AND for an updo..my hubby loves the sexy little wisps of hair that fall around my face...needless to say he LOVES my new look. i just wash and go and let it dry and it always looks great, i can style it with a blow dryer and round brush.
thought i'd share in case anyone feels the same about having just straight long hair "sitting there".

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 06:12:56 AM »
Sonja

it's called a messy bun, and my teen daughter is really good at it and used to do it for me.  must be a teen thing.  she got it from a Klutz book called Rainbow hair styles.  it came with hair paints.   ::) :P 
  i didn't know there was an instructional manual for it... i'm just lazy and whip it right up. hubby always says how cute it is.
   I have long hair (not as long as some of you  :o) and my hubby got tired of it being just hair hanging there and i got tired of trying to keep it pulled back and coming up with new ways to wear it (what's the use of having long hair if it's pulled back all the time anyway?). SO i went to go get my usual trim and decided to ask fo something differant. My hair stylist was hesistant to cut it off but i asked for something fun. She gave me layers (i know not new but it works) the top of my hair comes to my eye level and a few more layers thrown in. She kept the length but is is bouncier and has some style to it. I wear it down now almost ALWAYS (even in this 110 degree weather) and i can still pull it back if i want to with the help of a couple of clips. AND for an updo..my hubby loves the sexy little wisps of hair that fall around my face...needless to say he LOVES my new look. i just wash and go and let it dry and it always looks great, i can style it with a blow dryer and round brush.
thought i'd share in case anyone feels the same about having just straight long hair "sitting there".

It must be a blessing to come by that ability naturally, and I'm sure it saves time.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »

It must be a blessing to come by that ability naturally, and I'm sure it saves time.
  oh ok  :-\ :-[  i wasn't bragging...just being silly...guess i gotta watch my sense of humour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:51:04 PM by healthybratt »

Offline kmrockhold

• Learning
    • my photography site
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 02:17:20 AM »
Here's how I do the messy bun.   I just learned this about 6 months ago, and I love it!   Finally my hair will stay up nice and tight all day.   

As you can see, my daughter has long, beautiful hair, of which I am probably a little bit too proud.  lol.  We have to braid it at night so it wont be too tangley in the morning. 

You have to use a nice big, strong hair rubber band.  Anything else will not work well. 

Ok, you are going to act like you are putting the hair into a pony tail, but the first time you bring the hair through the band, you dont bring it all the way through.  Just about half-way.

Then you take the ends of the hair,  flip it up to where it covers the loop of hair that you brought half way through.    This is a very important part. 

Then you pull the rubber band over that, but still not over the ends of the hair.

Then you take the rubber band, twist it and repeat that last step.

I hope that I explained that well enough.  If anyone has any questions about it, let me know.   

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:01:46 AM by kmrockhold »

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 02:23:23 AM »
I LOVE the illustrated pictures!!  She is so cute!  We have a 7 yr. old Princess.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Nickole

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 05:20:34 AM »
Awww.  She looks just like my 5 year old! ;D