Author Topic: Thrush: Causes & Cures  (Read 48219 times)

Offline Julia

• Master
Re: Thrush: Causes & Cures
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »
I would first try GOOT on the rash if you have some, it works like a charm.

Plain coconut oil (the unrefined kind) might work.

Check this thread for diaper rash cures: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,924.0.html, just make sure you are not using any remedy with starch or baking soda - those are good for regular diaper rash but will aggravate yeast.

You might also try what is reccommended in the Fungal-Bacterial Infections thread: mix dead sea salt (available at Wal-Mart I believe) and water and spray on, letting it dry.

Also it helps to put a towel under them and let them go bare-bottomed for a while to dry out.  :o

I think TTU would work, too, maybe you could mix it with a little coconut or olive oil and make a paste to spread evenly.

Also you could put a drop of tea tree oil in a small amount of coconut oil (or maybe 2 or 3 drops to an ounce of coconut oil) and rub that on. 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
I have used TTU8 on a yeast rash and it helped tremendously. Here's the post about what I did... http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5861.msg65874.html#msg65874

WR
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:11:18 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline onmyway2natural

• Adept
  • Winter on Galveston Island, TX
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
My 2 1/2 week old has a yeast infection in his diaper area.  I had to take antibiotics during the last three weeks of my pregnancy.  Can I sprinkle TTU directly on the rash, or would that help?  I'm already giving TTU to him directly, taking it myself, and cutting out sugar.  TIA for your help.
Yes absolutely! I do this exact thing with all my kids when yeast rash comes up - opening the capsule and using like baby powder. Clears it up in just a couple days if you do it every time, or even just like twice a day. I feel for you! Great idea cutting the sugar yourself and both of you taking it...will all help.
blessings
Amy
Blessed wife to my own Prince William.
Grateful SAH&HsMommy to 9yog, 6yob, 5yob, 2yog.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »
Hey another thing to throw out there, If your dealing with a Yeast infection (diaper rash or adult) One of the most affective treatments I've ever tried is plain homemade yogurt applied topically.  If you can just apply a this coating to the affected area it provides almost instantanious relief.

-Heather

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »
Hello everyone - this is my first time posting.  I'm hoping to get some help!
I am nursing a 4 week old baby and think we may have a yeast infection/thrush. 

This is what I learned from Vange (Evangeline) from Above Rubies (www.AboveRubies.org) . . .

YEAST INFECTION in the diaper area:  Mix melted virgin coconut oil with cornstarch 'til the consistency of cinnamon roll frosting.  I dispensed this mixture from a squeeze bottle and whenever I changed a diaper, I'd squeeze and saturate the yeast infection--worked wonders!

That was my introduction to coconut oil.  It worked SO well that I started to try it for anything baterial, fungal, viral or parasitical. 

With THRUSH, virgin coconut oil is safe for babies, so I would even let baby have some straight.  Alot less messy than Gentian violet. 

Just my two cents . . . hope it helps.   :)
:*``*::*``*::*``*::*``*:

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2007, 05:29:46 AM »
This is what I learned from Vange (Evangeline) from Above Rubies (www.AboveRubies.org) . . .

YEAST INFECTION in the diaper area:  Mix melted virgin coconut oil with cornstarch 'til the consistency of cinnamon roll frosting.  I dispensed this mixture from a squeeze bottle and whenever I changed a diaper, I'd squeeze and saturate the yeast infection--worked wonders!

That was my introduction to coconut oil.  It worked SO well that I started to try it for anything baterial, fungal, viral or parasitical. 

My FIL has a rash in his groin. Do you think one could use the coconut oil, cornstarch and TTU on it? I don't know if he would try it or not. When they are in the 80's they can be stubborn. They are losing independence and they fight new fangle ideas. The stuff from the Dr. is NOT working.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2007, 12:04:30 PM »
I have tried on several occasions to use coconut oil on my son's diaper rashes.  Maybe he's allergic but on all three occassions his bottom gets on fire from it.  Huge red splotches and very hot!  The thing is, he eats it regularly with no problems.  I wondered if just the fact the coconut oil heats up so fast and that is a warm area of the body, maybe it just makes the problem worse.  Needless to say, I don't use it on him topically any more.

YoopreMama

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »
I have tried on several occasions to use coconut oil on my son's diaper rashes.  Maybe he's allergic but on all three occassions his bottom gets on fire from it.  Huge red splotches and very hot!  The thing is, he eats it regularly with no problems.  I wondered if just the fact the coconut oil heats up so fast and that is a warm area of the body, maybe it just makes the problem worse.  Needless to say, I don't use it on him topically any more.

That sounds like something others have experienced w/ coconut oil (there is a thread on being allergic to it...)--me, too.  :-\ Coconut-derived products are in so many things that people are starting to have adverse reactions to coconut oil, even though, in general, it is so good for you.  I know some have recommended not using coconut oil on babies for this very reason (risk of reactions).   ???

Offline EverLearning

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 08:50:46 AM »
Help me, please.  What would you do?  I've posted in various places on the board regarding recurring thrush in my little girl, but I feel like I need to make a decision.  She has had thrush on and off since birth and she will be four months old this week.  I have tried every remedy I can find, but the only one to get rid of it so far is Gentian Violet.  I have used it twice with success, but the thrush is back the next week.

I have been without refined sugar since her birth, and I have gone on a strict Candida diet, but only for about 10 days, since my herbologist seemed to think my blood sugar levels were a greater problem.  I know I have Leaky Gut and have just ordered some supplements to help with it (colostrum and some others).

What would you do?  In the past, I wouldn't have hesitated to get a prescription for Diflucan (an oral prescription pill for yeast infection), but now that I've learned a little bit here, I keep putting it off.  Is it really that bad? 

Amy

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »
I'm in the learning/experimenting state with thrush too, but have you tried giving your daughter TTU internally or even putting some on her tongue/mouth? I'm sure it can only do more good than harm.

I have another thrush question: Is white on a baby's tongue ALWAYS thrush? I thought I remembered all of my babies having a whitish coating on their tongues the first few weeks and none of them ever had any other white spots or other symptoms of thrush except one. I always thought that was just a newborn characteristic until I recently heard it is thrush.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »
I just went through this with my 3 wk old son.  If you aren't sure of what thrush looks like, just do a google image search using "thrush" and you'll get a good idea.  A white coating doesn't necessarily mean thrush, especially if you have just nursed.  My symptoms of thrush were itchy breasts, and painfully sore nipples.  My son's were white patches on his lip.  The patches almost look like extra skin that's peeling.  He also had a yeast infection diaper rash.  I had to take antibiotics a few weeks before he was born and I'm sure that's why we have had it.  Now for what I did and am doing to get rid of it.

Me:
Gentian Violet painted on me with a Q-tip, twice a day for 3 days.  Probiotics (Tummy Tune Up) 2 caps 3x a day.  Elimination of sugar in my diet.  "Airing out" for 15 minutes after each feeding then applying Lanolin until the next feeding.

Gabe:
1/8 teaspoon of TTU 2x a day.  I just opened the capsule into a 1/8th measuring spoon, dumped it into his mouth then immediately nursed him.  His rash was so bad by the time I realized he had one (his skin is so red anyway I didn't notice it for a couple of days), I just started putting monostat OTC cream on it.  I would've tried plain yogurt if I'd have thought of it first.  Or, I thought about applying TTU directly to the rash, but didn't because we are running out and I wanted to use it internally. 

HTH someone.  I am continuing the probiotics for me and him for at least another week since symptoms were completely gone.  Then I'll probably just continue on me for maintenance. 
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
Thanks jeamom. I saw the white patches with one baby and she also had bad diaper rash and other things. With my new baby, I noticed his tongue had the white coating, so treated him with TTU and the tea tree/lav. oil/olive oil mixture and at first I thought it helped, but in the long run it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, so I'm thinking it might not be thrush. We have no other symptoms.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2007, 08:25:40 AM »
Help me, please.  What would you do?  I've posted in various places on the board regarding recurring thrush in my little girl, but I feel like I need to make a decision.  She has had thrush on and off since birth and she will be four months old this week.  I have tried every remedy I can find, but the only one to get rid of it so far is Gentian Violet.  I have used it twice with success, but the thrush is back the next week.

I have been without refined sugar since her birth, and I have gone on a strict Candida diet, but only for about 10 days, since my herbologist seemed to think my blood sugar levels were a greater problem.  I know I have Leaky Gut and have just ordered some supplements to help with it (colostrum and some others).

What would you do?  In the past, I wouldn't have hesitated to get a prescription for Diflucan (an oral prescription pill for yeast infection), but now that I've learned a little bit here, I keep putting it off.  Is it really that bad? 

Amy
Probitotics - namely Tummy Tuneup.  Killing yeast is important but ineffective if you don't replace it with the good stuff.  If you kill dandelions in an empty lot, they will grow back and take over the lot, but fill your yard with lots of good healthy grass and the dandelions won't thrive if they grow at all.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2007, 10:43:57 AM »
My son had thrush that did not want to go either. I don't know how long you have done the gentian violet but you can continue that until it is gone. I had been told to use it only for a few days but my Doctor told me I could use it continuously to kill the thrush. HTH
LKS

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2007, 04:11:51 AM »
My 13 mo. old had a breakout of it monday eve.. She had fever all weekend, and then it broke and whammo, white patches. I took her to the dr. because I wasn't sure if it was thrush, or some sort of virus that wraps up its act with some mouth sores.. the dr. didn't know, she just scribbled down a scrip for nystatin and sent us on.. Well, she is still super cranky, has a horrible cold, and isn't sleeping.. I'm going to try a garlic poultice when she wakes up (I just posted in that thread).. I've never done it before. I'm so desperate for sleep!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
Here's some info on thrush for those of you with questions.  It includes a picture.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000966.htm
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
Thanks jeamom. I saw the white patches with one baby and she also had bad diaper rash and other things. With my new baby, I noticed his tongue had the white coating, so treated him with TTU and the tea tree/lav. oil/olive oil mixture and at first I thought it helped, but in the long run it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, so I'm thinking it might not be thrush. We have no other symptoms.

My pediatrician stressed to me that if there are no spots on the inside of the cheeks or lips, then it is not thrush but just milk (which may stay on there continuously). She said that at one office she worked at, when she first started the job, she found that they had been prescribing drugs for thrush when there were no spots on the cheeks. It wasn't working, of course, because it was just milk, so she had to teach the other doctors about the difference.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2007, 07:01:49 AM »

My pediatrician stressed to me that if there are no spots on the inside of the cheeks or lips, then it is not thrush but just milk (which may stay on there continuously). She said that at one office she worked at, when she first started the job, she found that they had been prescribing drugs for thrush when there were no spots on the cheeks. It wasn't working, of course, because it was just milk, so she had to teach the other doctors about the difference.

WR

That was my gut feeling plus the fact that I hadn't read anything that convinced me the white tongue only would be thrush.

Thanks WR. :)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »
Josiah (3 mo) has had thrush for a while now. We got the purple stuff (gentian violet) and it made a huge mess and he got sick of it after a while (seriously, he started throwing up when I put it in his mouth).

Then we got a prescription for Nystatin suspension. They must suspend it in double strength sugar syrup. I could not get over how sugar laden it was for something that is given to kill a form of yeast! Dh said, "Isn't that sort of defeating the purpose?" But we tried it anyway. It didn't get rid of it either.

So after doing some reading on safety and whatnot, I brewed some strong Pau d'arco tea, to keep in a jar in the fridge, and began swabbing his mouth (and, of course, my breasts) with it whenever it came to mind (usually right after a feeding).

It made such a difference, so fast, I was astonished. By the end of the first day I could see a major change in the amount of spots. By the middle of the next day the vast majority of the spots were gone.

I thought it was completely healed yesterday, but now I can see a few tiny little spots are left, so a day or two more of consistent treatment should do the trick.

Oh, and he doesn't mind the taste at all. I tasted it myself and it tastes mostly like water with just a bit of an "earthy" flavor. He's not so keen on the cotton swab being stuck into his mouth and rubbed around, but he's not making that "Yuck!! Mom! What is THAT!" face like he did with the other things we tried.

Thought I'd share.

WR
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:50:15 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
I just noticed this post on Thrush...I have not read the replies, and do not know what cures have been listed, but just wanted to share what worked wonderfully on my last two babies.  They both had thrush, with the first one I kept experimenting with different natural things and nothing was working.  One day I did a garlic poultice on her because she had a cold and what do you know the next day the Thrush was gone (she had had it for about 6 weeks).  The same results with my latest baby.

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2007, 06:33:33 AM »
Something I have been doing to get rid of the thrush is swabbing his mouth with vinegar.  I didit to myself (breast) also, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are really sore &you have a low pain tolerance!  It will feel like your nipples are ablaze!!!! We are also taking the TT.
Shawna

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
My son had thrush and I tried prescriptions for weeks... like almost 4 weeks I think and it didnt do a darn thing.. then I tried gentian violet and in a day and a half it was gone... I would try to avoid all yeast and sugar in your diet as well... He's maybe a little young to eat yogurt but if you do try that make sure it is plain, non sugar kind.. There's my 2 cents. :)
Where in the pharmacy do you find the gentian violet?  I would like to try it.  The vinager & TT were doing the trick at first but it doesn't seem do be doing as much now.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Oh, I forgot to update this. I also started feeding Josiah half a baby spoon full of VCO the last few days of treatment and the thrush did not come back.
WR

Josiah (3 mo) has had thrush for a while now. We got the purple stuff (gentian violet) and it made a huge mess and he got sick of it after a while (seriously, he started throwing up when I put it in his mouth).

Then we got a prescription for Nystatin suspension. They must suspend it in double strength sugar syrup. I could not get over how sugar laden it was for something that is given to kill a form of yeast! Dh said, "Isn't that sort of defeating the purpose?" But we tried it anyway. It didn't get rid of it either.

So after doing some reading on safety and whatnot, I brewed some strong Pau d'arco tea, to keep in a jar in the fridge, and began swabbing his mouth (and, of course, my breasts) with it whenever it came to mind (usually right after a feeding).

It made such a difference, so fast, I was astonished. By the end of the first day I could see a major change in the amount of spots. By the middle of the next day the vast majority of the spots were gone.

I thought it was completely healed yesterday, but now I can see a few tiny little spots are left, so a day or two more of consistent treatment should do the trick.

Oh, and he doesn't mind the taste at all. I tasted it myself and it tastes mostly like water with just a bit of an "earthy" flavor. He's not so keen on the cotton swab being stuck into his mouth and rubbed around, but he's not making that "Yuck!! Mom! What is THAT!" face like he did with the other things we tried.

Thought I'd share.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:59 AM »
Oh, I forgot to update this. I also started feeding Josiah half a baby spoon full of VCO the last few days of treatment and the thrush did not come back.
WR

What is VCO? 
Shawna
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:15:31 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007, 03:38:42 AM »
VCO = Virgin (unrefined) Coconut Oil
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007, 06:34:41 AM »
WR

What is VCO? 
Shawna
Virgin Coconut Oil  ;D

It works for ANYTHING dealing with bacteria, fungus, viruses, or parasites!  Check it out on our website . . . We use the TT Green Label (virgin organic) as a family.

Regards,
Charity
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:15:57 PM by healthybratt »
:*``*::*``*::*``*::*``*:

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

I can't believe it. None of my breastfed babies has ever had thrush. We are rushing around trying to get out the door to go camping and I just saw it in his mouth -- my 11 mo has it.

My milk dried up months ago, almost completely. He hasn't nursed at all for a week. He is on goat milk formula (CLO, vits, and iron. Was also using brown rice syrup until the past couple weeks as he is now taking so many other foods) along with a pesticide free diet of fruits veggies and yogurt. Occasionally he has a tiny bit of whole grain. He has never had sugar at all until last night when he sucked on a plain cookie for a few minutes and barely ingested any of it (CPO meeting concerning something very important and I had to bring him with, so made exception to try to keep him quiet). Could just that one exposure have caused it even though it is not built up in his body? Otherwise, could he have gotten it because of just rinsing his bottle with hot soapy water and not sterilizing? I made the olive oil with lavender oil and Tea Tree oil mixture that Bekah gave the recipe for at theh begining of this thread and applied it and am bringing with. Will let you know how it works when we get back.

I thought he'd give me a problem about letting me put something that gross tasting and feeling in his mouth -- and he likes it and kept trying to get me to give him more! Will check for answers when I get back next week. Thank you for any input you may be able to give. Blessings~
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »

I can't believe it. None of my breastfed babies has ever had thrush. We are rushing around trying to get out the door to go camping and I just saw it in his mouth -- my 11 mo has it.

My milk dried up months ago, almost completely. He hasn't nursed at all for a week. He is on goat milk formula (CLO, vits, and iron. Was also using brown rice syrup until the past couple weeks as he is now taking so many other foods) along with a pesticide free diet of fruits veggies and yogurt. Occasionally he has a tiny bit of whole grain. He has never had sugar at all until last night when he sucked on a plain cookie for a few minutes and barely ingested any of it (CPO meeting concerning something very important and I had to bring him with, so made exception to try to keep him quiet). Could just that one exposure have caused it even though it is not built up in his body? Otherwise, could he have gotten it because of just rinsing his bottle with hot soapy water and not sterilizing? I made the olive oil with lavender oil and Tea Tree oil mixture that Bekah gave the recipe for at theh begining of this thread and applied it and am bringing with. Will let you know how it works when we get back.

I thought he'd give me a problem about letting me put something that gross tasting and feeling in his mouth -- and he likes it and kept trying to get me to give him more! Will check for answers when I get back next week. Thank you for any input you may be able to give. Blessings~

Does he have diarrhea or any rashes too?

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
Raining here at the Oregon Coat so we are at the library:)

No diarrhea. We struggle with the opposite quite often.

He has had a rash on both cheeks for a month or so. It looks like baby acne or eczema. I have been putting the lavender and tea tree oil with olive oil mixture on his face too and it seems to be helping that as well. Maybe that is yeast also? Or maybe just the moisture helps and is it dry skin. Anyway, the "recipe" above seems to be healing the thrush quite nicely.

Were you thinking it could be somethg else like Fifth's Disease or something?
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
Raining here at the Oregon Coat so we are at the library:)

No diarrhea. We struggle with the opposite quite often.

He has had a rash on both cheeks for a month or so. It looks like baby acne or eczema. I have been putting the lavender and tea tree oil with olive oil mixture on his face too and it seems to be helping that as well. Maybe that is yeast also? Or maybe just the moisture helps and is it dry skin. Anyway, the "recipe" above seems to be healing the thrush quite nicely.

Were you thinking it could be somethg else like Fifth's Disease or something?

No, its just that with thrush mine usually have diarrhea that gives a nasty diaper rash. They've also had a rash, usually around the mouth. But I'm sure each case is different depending on the baby. If the recipe is working that's probably what it is and should clear up! :)