Author Topic: Has Anyone Had Side Effects From Floradix Like This?  (Read 37519 times)

Offline LearningMommy6

• Learning
Has Anyone Had Side Effects From Floradix Like This?
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:43 AM »
I would appreciate hearing if any of you have had side effects from taking the Floradix iron supplement.

I am 27 weeks pregnant and just found out that I'm anemic at a level of  10.8.  I am glad that I know that now because I have been having terrible fatigue for the last month that has had me wiped out.  The OB nurse said that I should have a dosage of iron daily at 54 mg which seems a little high to me.

I started Floradix yesterday to help and used 4 tsp. for the first dose in the early afternoon and 2 tsp. before I went to bed.  After both times I started feeling headachey and sort of jittery.  I gave my nine year old son the child dose and he said he felt a little jittery, too.  I looked on its vitamin list and it does list a substantial amount of the B vitamins.  Could that be the reason for the side effects and will they fade as I get used to taking the Floradix?

I really want to keep taking this because I've heard it is great for getting the iron levels up quickly with no constipation and I NEED energy for my five children!  However, I don't want to get a headache each time and feel like I am on speed!

Thanks for any advice!

Kim 

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Re: Has Anyone Had Side Effects From Floradix Like This?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »
Keeping this current because I am about to start taking it too and I want to know what I'm getting into.    Maybe I'll just load up on spirulina in the meantime.       ~L

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
I just started this yesterday as I found out my iron level was at 9 - 9 1/2 (i suddenly can't remember!) and I'm due to deliver in a week!

I am only following the directions on the back of the bottle which states to take 2 tsp, twice a day just before a meal.  Are you eating soon after taking it?  Maybe the 4 tsp dosage is a little much for your system right now.  Would you be able to break it up into 2 tsp dosages, three times a day instead?  Maybe I should try that.....if you are at 10.8, that's higher than mine and I am closer to delivery. 

I'm also taking extra Vit C to help with the absorbtion of the iron. 

I have not experienced jitters or headaches and am looking forward to an energy boost sometime soon.  This fatigue and low iron has crept up on me and I'm trying to get it up ASAP because it's keeping me from doing all that I need to do. 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
My iron was VERY low when I was last pg. My ND put me on Carlson's chewable Iron. I only needed to take one 25 mg per day and my iron levels were much inproved in a short time with no constipation, no stomach probs,etc. and the fatigue was greatly reduced after only a few days. My MD was going to have me on like 250 per day!

I did not take Floradix as I didn't know about it then. But I have given my 17 mo 2 lg. bottles total of Floradix (over about 3-4 months time) and he doesn't seem to have any problems with it, but I only give him small doses. I hope you aren't allergic to something in it.

Maybe you need to start with a half dose then work your way up by adding another 1/4 dose every couple of days? Or maybe, especially if your due date is close, you can tolerate it while your body adjusts to it?
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
I have taken Floradix during both of my pregnancies and even before I was pregnant when my levels were very low - 6.5. I never had any problems with the Floradix and have taken double dosages when I needed to really get my iron up fast. I would recommend that for the lady here who posted and said she's due to deliver in a week. I wouldn't think Floradix would give anyone shakes.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
I take floradix and although I haven't had my numbers done, I can tell when I'm low because I'm very cold (and tired).  When I take floridix again I warm right up.  There's more than just iron in there, like vitamin c and some B's, so if you started right off with a double dose your body may have said "what are you doing?"  Maybe try taking it right in the middle of a meal, and start with just one teaspoon, then two, then two twice in a day.  It works very well for everyone that I have talked to including me (and I can't take other vitamins with iron in them, they make me sick).  It also works very quickly for me, I'm back on top of things after a dose or two.  Maybe I should remember to take it all the time.  Silly me ::) :D

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
I took floradix floravital...never had any problems...I took double the dosage 3x a day I think after each meal. I was close to delivery and brought up in like 4 days (w/ lots of prayer too of course!! :)) less more often is better than a lot all at once. Do you have the regular floradix or floradix floravital or which one? you may be allergic to something...there are several kinds maybe try another one...I did iron +herbs floravital yeast free rather than the  iron+herbs regular just a thought...i am very sensitive too stuff and was good w/ the floravital one (yeast free) btw i don't think spirulina is very effective at bringing up your iron...at least my experience...I was on spirulina (capped my own) pregoo tea (made myself from the bulk herb store) and still was low until I did the floradix

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
I agree that maybe your body is just not used to the extra vitamins. Hoping you are not allergic to something in it because it really helped me to get my iron levels up quickly. I would only take mine in the morning and before lunch though because of the B vitamins. I have always been sensitive to taking B vitamins later in the day as they would give me lots of energy and help keep me awake at night. That could be the cause of your jitters -extra vitamins. Also, isn't 4 tsp. the whole measuring cup full? I think the bottle says that 1 dose is 2 tsp, which is half a cup full. I would try that or even half of that until your body gets used to it. As you are only 27 weeks, you still have a little time to get your counts up and a little time to figure this out. I also drank my own mixture of the RR tea and added Dandelion, which I don't think is in the original recipe and is high in iron. I hope this helps and that you get it figured out what is causing your headaches and jitters.
~Blue Rose

Offline LearningMommy6

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:01:50 AM »
Just an update on the Floradix--I stopped double dosing but still take 2.5 tsps. usually 2 times a day.  I haven't had any more of the headaches and jitters lately so maybe my body did have to adjust.  I have been on the Floradix for a couple of weeks now and I definitely don't have the overwhelming fatigue anymore.  I still get tired easily (which is part of the territory being in the third trimester of pregnancy) but I can handle it.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Kim

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »
Did anyone have their teeth stained while using this?  Did your teeth go back to normal after delivery?
I started using it 2 weeks about...in a few days, one of my front teeth (Normally a nice white like the others) was starting to look "clear" on the bottom...at a distance they looked stained, but they just looked like they were getting "see through".  Is this a calcium issue? or is it just a side effect of too much minerals from the floradix?  Ideas?
Just to rule out calcium being an issue, I am going to have a calcium serum test done.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the dentist either.
This is will be my 5 delivery in over 4 1/2 years.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
I had the problem with "see through" teeth this last pregnancy.  I occurred in the middle of the pregnancy and I started taking more calcium and magnesium and that helped.  It hasn't ever totally gone away.  I assume that it is a calcium deficiency, though I could certainly be wrong.  My teeth also got a stained look to them while I took floradix and chlorophyll, but that was late in the pregnancy.  The stained look did go away after just a week or a two once I stopped taking them.  I think the staining from the herbs made the clearness at the bottom of my teeth more noticeable.  Pregnancy and nursing are very draining on the reserves of minerals that in our bodies and that is what I think is going on.  With 6 pregnancies in 10 years and the longest of the few breaks between weaning and pregnancy being 6 months, my teeth have been seriously impacted.  I suspect the staining will go away after you stop taking the liquid herbs.  I will say that the herbs might help the clearness problem, but only over the long term.

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:51:23 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

I just found out that a friend of mine who was taking the supplement during her 10th pregnancy also had the "staining" of her teeth.
Her teeth look good now and she just said that it will eventually go away.

I will still check into the calcium thing since these babies are not too far apart...
Thank you again!