Author Topic: Generic [Dollar Store] Pregnancy Tests: Accuracy & FAQ  (Read 67474 times)

Offline koco

• Learning
Generic [Dollar Store] Pregnancy Tests: Accuracy & FAQ
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:19:30 AM »
Has anyone tried a cheap generic pregnancy test and it said you were not pregnant but you really were?    :-\
Faith makes things possible, not easy.

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
Re: Generic [Dollar Store] Pregnancy Tests: Accuracy & FAQ
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »
Yes, all I buy is walmart store brand and I've had a couple negative readings  but not because the test was bad. I had to wait a week and try again and then it was positive. My body must not have been showing the hormone strong enough yet.
-mary

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:38:51 AM »
My friends all swear by the ones from the dollar store...they say they are the most sensitive!

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:41:05 AM »
I always use the dollar store ones.  They work fine!  Since they are so cheap, you can always retest if you're negative in a week just to make sure.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
I was really cheap and got one from the Dollar Tree.  It told me I was pregnant when I wasn't!!   ::)

Because I am so cheap, I got one from there again.  This time it told me I was pregnant, and this time I actually was--tho my husband didn't believe me for a couple of weeks. I can't imagine why!  :D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
Okay, ladies, WHERE in the dollar stores are these located at?  I have never seen one and looked for one awhile back.  I suppose I could just ask a worker there, but I like ya gals a little more! ;)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:55:53 AM »
When I was pregnant with the one before this one, I used the Family Dollar (different from the Dollar Tree where everything is a buck).  I had to ask the lady at the counter.  Apparently they kept them under the counter because of theft.  I think it was about $5.00.  It was reliable, easy to interpret, and left little room for error. 
It was a bit better than my recent Dollar Tree purchase.    ;)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:23:52 AM »
Okay, ladies, WHERE in the dollar stores are these located at?  I have never seen one and looked for one awhile back.  I suppose I could just ask a worker there, but I like ya gals a little more! ;)

They are on thge row with other sanitary items.  Next to the pads and stuff.  Usually pretty close to baby stuff like powders, rash medicine.  It would also be near stuff like shampoos, soups, face stuff etc.

Ok, that was a whole lot of "stuff," but maybe it'll help you find it.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:45:23 AM »
I don't think it's possible for a test to say your are pregnant if you are not since they are measuring the hormone that is secreted only when you are pregnant. I've heard the dollar store tests are VERY sensitive and they will detect even the tiniest amount of this hormone. What people think of as false positives followed by a period are more likely to be a very early miscarriage.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
I don't think it's possible for a test to say your are pregnant if you are not since they are measuring the hormone that is secreted only when you are pregnant. I've heard the dollar store tests are VERY sensitive and they will detect even the tiniest amount of this hormone. What people think of as false positives followed by a period are more likely to be a very early miscarriage.

I dunno, maybe you are right.  I did the test, it never really looked right even when it finally registered a positive.  I figured I did something wrong or the test was messed up.  I started within two days of the test.  The only reason I even did the test was cuz I miscalculated when I was supposed to start.  :-[  I guess I could have been pregnant, but I really don't think I was considering I started right when I was supposed to. 

Again, this was NOT the Dollar Store or Family Dollar, this was the Dollar Tree where everything is a dollar.  The Family Dollar test  I used a few years ago was very reliable.

You would think by now I would know how to figure out when I am supposed to start.  Been doing this over 20 years.  I had just moved, I'll use that as an excuse.  ;)

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 09:15:32 AM »
I have terrible luck with pregnancy tests, (acutally I am one of those people who isant able to get a postive untill I am around 6 weeks or more)  I have tried the expensive, the cheap, and the inbetween, I have never had a false positve, but a ton of false negatives, :)  and if i think i am pregnant it drives me nuts till i know, my husband says we need to just buy a case of them, hee                                The Doller General usually keep them in the back because of theft, for some people it is embarresing to check them out so they steal them, that is what they told me when I worked there.  ;D anyway good luck!!
   Has anybody heard how they used to do a pregnancy test the old fashioned way? they injected a rabbit with the in question womans pee, if the rabbit died she was pregnant, if she wasnt  the rabbit lived, :) I wouldnt swear by that, I just read it somewhere on the internet.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »
I bought a 20 pack of them once online.  I only have one left... ;D  I gotta find that address!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
I get accu-something or ruther from target for 6 bucks for a 2 pack. So far it's been accurate. I don't know if it is a generic brand but it sure was a better deal then the target brand.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »
How common is a false positive pregnancy test
and what causes it? from http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/falsepositive.html

Home pregnancy tests
HCG pregnancy tests or home pregnancy tests determine pregnancy through the detection of the hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in a woman's urine. Doctors recommend that you wait until you have missed a period to take a home pregnancy test. If you can not wait that long to find out and you know the day you may have conceived, then the earliest you can take a test would be 14 days from possible conception. Home tests are usually 97% accurate when all instructions are followed correctly and the results are read on time. Some kits come with two tests so that in case you have made a mistake, you may take the home pregnancy tests gain. Learn more about the accuracy of home pregnancy tests in another relevant article.

False Positive Pregnancy Test Results and What Causes Them
A false positive pregnancy test is when the test says that you are pregnant but actually you are not. This is a one off case and a positive pregnancy test is a pretty good indication that you are pregnant. False positive pregnancy tests are rare - though there are instances and conditions where they can occur.

There could be various reasons for a false positive test.

Chemical Pregnancy
    A chemical pregnancy is basically an early miscarriage. Research has shown that half of all first pregnancies end in miscarriage. Due to the high sensitivity of home pregnancy tests, many women catch early pregnancies but end up going on to have their periods due to a chemical pregnancy.

Missed Reaction Time
    For accuracy in home pregnancy tests it is essential that you read the test results in the stipulated reaction time. If you let the test sit for too long (after the instructions on the box tell you), the test is invalid. This may cause it to show false positive results.

Chemical Interference
    Drugs that have the pregnancy hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them can cause incorrect results in home pregnancy tests. The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them may be responsible for the false positive pregnancy test. If you have had an HCG shot due to infertilty treatments, you need to be sure the shot is out of your system before you attempt to use early pregnancy tests.

Evaporation Lines
    While technically not a true pregnancy, some pregnancy tests leave a faint evaporation line as the urine crosses the test. This faint very light grey evaporation line in the test area is often interpretted as a positive result.

AimStick pregnancy test strips have a very good reputation of NOT leaving evaporation lines and are much less expensive than brands you can buy in your local supermarket or drug store.

If you are not sure about your home pregnancy results it is recommended that you try again after a couple of days. If doubts regarding the results still persist, you must see a doctor for a pregnancy blood test. A blood test administered by your doctor is more sensitive than the early home tests and can be taken between seven and twelve days after you conceive.

Rabbit test
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rabbit test was an early pregnancy test developed in 1927. It consisted of injecting the tested woman's urine into a female rabbit, then examining the rabbit's ovaries a few days later, which would change in response to a hormone only secreted by pregnant women. The hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), is produced during pregnancy and indicates the presence of a fertilized egg; it can be found in a pregnant woman's urine and blood. The rabbit test became a widely used bioassay (animal-based test) to test for pregnancy. The term "rabbit test" was first recorded in 1949 but became a common phrase in the English language.

Modern pregnancy tests still operate on the basis of testing for the presence of the hormone hCG. Thanks to medical advances, use of a rabbit is no longer required.

It is a common misconception that the injected rabbit would die only if the woman was pregnant. This lead to the phrase "the rabbit died" being used as a euphemism for a positive pregnancy test. In fact, all rabbits used for the test died, because they had to be surgically opened in order to examine the ovaries. While it was possible to do this without killing the rabbit, it was generally deemed not worth the trouble and expense. One notable exception, albeit fictional, is an episode of the television series M*A*S*H. A rabbit belonging to Radar O'Reilly was used to test for pregnancy in Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. To assuage Radar, rather than killing the rabbit, Hawkeye Pierce performed surgery under anesthesia.

The Aerosmith song "Sweet Emotion" refers to the test: "Can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died."

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 03:51:06 AM »
My sister actually sells pregnancy/ovulation test strips at www.newlittleblessing.com  They sell for $1 or less for pregnancy and $1.25 or less for ovulation. Price depends on how many you buy. I used them to tell me I was pregnant with my last son, and I tested posative a few days before I was supposed to start my period. They are the really sensative test strips. Anyway, I have been thrilled with having a handy supply of test strips close by.  ;)  Oh, and you can get free shipping on the tests, if anyone is interested.
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 03:59:01 AM »
I probably would be...I got a bunch of those tests from a friend and it was nice to have them around!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 04:08:22 AM »
Wow!  What a great site!  Thoses look like the exact same tests that I got in bulk!

Offline koco

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 07:41:17 AM »
This may be a gross question,  but does anyone know if a pregnancy test that gave a negative result can be reused?   :)
Faith makes things possible, not easy.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
So I am wondering how soon you can tell that you are pregnant? Would it be medically possible to tell the day after conception? I am feeling that old familiar 'bleck' feeling... :o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:52:32 AM by savedbygrace »

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »
If you learn how to observe and chart your 3 primary fertility signs, you won't ever need a pregnancy test again. Once you've ovulated, confirmed by a thermal shift (taking your waking temperature), your period should start w/in 16 days. If you're on day 18 and your period hasn't started, you can pretty much count on the fact that you're pregnant. Each woman is different, but her luteal phase (# of days from ovulation to the day before her next period starts) usually fluctuates only a day, maybe two. Example: I usually start my period on day 14 or 15 after I ovulate. So I could be clued in by day 16 or 17 that I'm most likely pregnancy. And if you hit day 20 and you still haven't started your period, you're for sure prego. I knew I was pregnant with both of mine w/o needing a test. I had my doctor do one w/ the first because I just couldn't believe it. But with the second, I knew it and didn't bother w/ a test. Just asked my midwife, "So, can I be your first Nov birth?"

As for false results, you can have a false negative, but never a false positive. The egg is fertilized in the fallopian tubes and then still needs to travel to the uterus where it will implant. When the egg implants itself in the uterus lining, it starts producing the HCG hormone. That's what the pregnancy tests are "looking for" to determine whether or not you're pregnant. So, from the time you ovulate to when the egg has implanted and starts producing enough HCG to be picked up by the test, many days have past. If you take a test too soon, there will be no HCG hormone to give you a positive, but you could very well still be pregnant (or on the verge  ;).)  You'll only know, maybe, a couple days earlier. I say, save your money and chart yourself. It's easy and great info to have. Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weshler.
http://www.tcoyf.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:23:14 AM by havasmama_05 »
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline Becky Jane Designs

• Learning
    • Becky Jane Designs
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »
I bought some tests at www.babyhopes.com.  They also have some links to the sensitivity of different brands of tests.  I loved to find that resource!  Especially when I was ten days late and tried a couple different tests!  Apparently that was just an 'off month'.  Never showed pregnant, got my cycle on day 40.

http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancy-test-sensitivity.html

Dollar store measures 50 mIU of hCG, the strips they sell (cheap) measure 25 mIU.

Hoping to test for baby number four soon!

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 11:32:46 AM »
Apparently that was just an 'off month'.  Never showed pregnant, got my cycle on day 40.

Hoping to test for baby number four soon!

You probably just ovulated late. The days from when you start your period to when you ovulate can be lengthened by the stress in your life - good or bad. Depending on how sensitive your body is, a slight change in your schedule can cause your body to postpone ovulation, to let your body take care of one thing at a time. Did you have anything out of the ordinary go on last month?  :D Ha! With 3 children and hoping for another, how can it be anything but extra-ordinary and stressful?!  :D

But if you are hoping for baby # 4, you can also be trying at the wrong time and also cause more stress to your body because you're getting frustrated with not getting pregnant yet. Watch for fertile quality cervical fluid (you get really slippery  ;)) and then "make a baby."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:36:16 AM by havasmama_05 »

Offline Becky Jane Designs

• Learning
    • Becky Jane Designs
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 12:11:19 PM »
Good advice, thank you!  Although, now that I think back, it was only my first or second cycle after having my youngest (she was 14 months at the time).  It may have just been trying to get back in the groove.  We are not trying too hard to make a baby, just you know, trying whenever the mood strikes!   ;)  But, unfortunately, this month was interrupted by an untimely yeast infection, which fortunately brought me to these forums where I have been learning LOTS of good info!
So, praise God for that!

Oh, and savedbygrace, no, I don't believe it is possible 'medically' to know the day after conception, the fertilized egg still needs to travel down the tubes, into the uterus and implant.  I think it takes a week?  Someone correct me if I am wrong on that, I don't think hCG is produced until then.

I think I also read that it actually takes 8 hours from intercourse to conception?  The little guys got quite a hike to get there.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 12:35:33 PM »
Good advice, thank you!  Although, now that I think back, it was only my first or second cycle after having my youngest (she was 14 months at the time).  It may have just been trying to get back in the groove.  We are not trying too hard to make a baby, just you know, trying whenever the mood strikes!   ;)  But, unfortunately, this month was interrupted by an untimely yeast infection, which fortunately brought me to these forums where I have been learning LOTS of good info!
So, praise God for that!

Wow! 14 mths. Yeah, getting in the groove certainly accounts for strange lengths in days.

Oh, and savedbygrace, no, I don't believe it is possible 'medically' to know the day after conception, the fertilized egg still needs to travel down the tubes, into the uterus and implant.  I think it takes a week?  Someone correct me if I am wrong on that, I don't think hCG is produced until then.

I think I also read that it actually takes 8 hours from intercourse to conception?  The little guys got quite a hike to get there.

Yeah, it all takes time, so you just gotta wait no matter what.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »
There's a great explanation at this site, and my understanding is that the lower the number the more sensitive.  If the level only has to be at 25 for it to register it is more sensitive than if it has to wait for your body to get to 50, so you want one with a lower rating.

http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancy-test-sensitivity.html

At our $1 Tree the tests are at the front, under the registers, so you don't have to ask for them, but you have to get them in front of someone.  And both times that I did one they came out negative and the ones I got at Wal-mart were positive on the very same day.  And I was pregnant both times.  I used Wal-mart brand called "Answer."  They are 2 for $5 here.

That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:33 PM »
I did my research at www.peeonastick.com.  I used the Dollar General $1 test which this site says has a 25 or less sensitivity.  I got a very strong positive at 9 days past ovulation.  I was impressed.  My last two pregnancies I didn't get a positive (with the Answer test from Wal-Mart) until a week past my missed period.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 02:31:28 PM »
First Response claims that it can tell 5 days before a missed period.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
This is my favorite brand!  :D  Even they, are able to not register the ammount of the hcg if it is too early. :( I think I took one of these REALLY early, but nothing showed till day 42-43 (had to use an off brand tho' cause they were out at wm). I do like the brand, and have used it with both other kids.
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline turtle mommy

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
Yep, I used a dollar general test ($1 each) and it was SO faint (practically white) I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.  I took a second test days later and same thing.  Turns out I was pregnant, but probably ovulated a few days later than I thought.  So I would say my false-negative result was due to timing and not the test.

I have friends who use the dollar general tests and none of them have had a false result.  I highly recommend them for the savings.  They are not sold on the shelf--ask a person at a register; they are sold at the counter. 

Offline tiffanniwi

• Learning
    • Check out the best, all natural, no hormones added, beef jerky!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »
I've always used Dollar General ones.  I have a friend who re-uses hers when she gets a negative.  She saves it for the next month and when she finally did end up pg, it did show pg...  I bet at that point, she throws them away though.  LOL