Author Topic: Sick child - difficulty breathing / wheezing, cough, fever  (Read 5681 times)

Offline girly

• Adept
Sick child - difficulty breathing / wheezing, cough, fever
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:02:46 AM »
I'm unable to search threads again today so I'm starting this topic.  When the search did work a bit ago I didn't find a thread on this - sorry if I'm wrong. 

My 3 year old woke up in the middle of the night with loud, labored breathing, very hot and with some coughing.  Our 5 year old has had issues with croup and he sounded similar (from what I remember) so I took him outside.  That was too cold so we went into the bathroom and steamed him.  His breathing settled.  We gave him a little ibuprofen as well to calm his fever down.  I brought him back to our bed and he was breathing much easier.  A few hours later he was very hot again and difficulty breathing.  Daddy took him back to the bathroom and brought him back 10 min. later and I saw no change but dad said they ran all the water out.  I'm a bit irritated w/ myself because I'm thinking Daddy didn't steam him enough or something because it worked for me but then I think I'm being stupid because how hard is it to steam a bathroom up?  I don't know, maybe I'm just being silly - maybe it really didn't work that time???  Well, he's sitting in the rocker now and breathing is slightly better - I've been giving him ice water.  Daddy just gave him cough syrup which I didn't want to give him but I didn't want to object because I know he wants to help him and maybe he is right?  I'm at a loss, any ideas with what this might be and what we can do to help him.  I'd like to avoid meds if possible.  Gabe is NOT up to date on vaccines and I do want to avoid RSV or pneumonia, obviously - not sure what to do today with him.  Oh, and he says it hurts in his mouth, so I'm assuming that means he has a sore throat.   

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Sick child - difficulty breathing / wheezing, cough, fever
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:18 AM »

My 3 year old woke up in the middle of the night with loud, labored breathing, very hot and with some coughing.  ....  Oh, and he says it hurts in his mouth, so I'm assuming that means he has a sore throat.   

I had the same symptoms My doc (chiropractor) said it was flu and gave me some supplements.

I should have eaten garlic and wore goot. Also Vitamin c and echinacea and any other  herb you have that may help. Get everything in him you can to heal it. I am on my 5th week of this cause I did nothing til last week. Kept thinking I can fight it. ::)
Emily
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:11:10 AM by Roehrmomma »

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:16:51 AM »
Good morning Emily,

Sorry to hear you are suffering as well.  I don't have any goot but when I can search better I'll look it up and make some.  5 weeks seems like a LONG time to have this - scary!  How do you take care of you kids - Gabe is very tired today :( 

I found this old post from Rebekah, do you think this might be good to try - I think I can probably buy this oil at a HFS?  What are your thoughts or would you just skip it?  I hate to spend a lot of money on stuff that won't work so I'd like some feedback before going to the store. 

Reply #2 on: 08 April 2006, 22:45:18   by  ForeverGirl

Another helpful thing is Eucalyptus oil:
From another thread:

"Warm baths with Eucalyptus Oil sprinkled in the water. A few drops of Eucalyptus in a bath a couple of times a day really helps congestion. Eucalyptus fights infection, kills bacteria, and opens the sinuses to drain. When my kids are really clogged, I give them a damp washcloth with a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil in it to carry around and sniff. This has worked AMAZINGLY well."

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:41 AM »
Yes we have been doing that. We are huge believers in Euc oil. My husband had a bad astma attack a couple mths ago and we used it for the first time It really worked wonders. It is now a staple in our house.

I generally only have a hard time breathing in the morning. But it is really getting better.

Goot is

2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil

I blend it with my stick mixer. Some people strain it. I personally do not. Didn't see a point in it.

Emily

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:21 AM »
Oh, thank you.  I have crushed garlic in the fridge - can I use that or do I need to buy it fresh?  I just mix it up and rub it on or what???

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:53:27 AM »
He's breathing much better now - I'm thinking it must be croup.  Everytime croup visits it gets me so scared and I worry about all the bad things it can be.  I'm going out to pick up euc. oil and lobelia now that he is breathing okay - tonight I'm expecting it to flare up again.  I'll plan to make some goot as well.  Thanks Emily, for your advice this morning :)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »
I just saw this now.  Just a note - my kids are very sensitive and they cannot have eucalyptus in their bath because it burns them and causes a rash.  Instead, I put it in the nebulizer (3 drops is good) with saline (up to the "fill" line)  and have them breathe in the steam a few times each day.  Works like a charm.   Nebulizers can be bought as low as $50 at Amazon, but a constant dose from a cool mist humidifier would work too.   ~L

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
I just saw this now.  Just a note - my kids are very sensitive and they cannot have eucalyptus in their bath because it burns them and causes a rash.  Instead, I put it in the nebulizer (3 drops is good) with saline (up to the "fill" line)  and have them breathe in the steam a few times each day.  Works like a charm.   Nebulizers can be bought as low as $50 at Amazon, but a constant dose from a cool mist humidifier would work too.   ~L

I have done this. I love it. Works good for emergencys.

Emily

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
I made some "vapor rub" (I think I got the recipe somewhere on WTM) for my dad the last time he got sick and he said it worked great. I just put some eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil in VCO. Voila!

Add the oils one or two drops at a time and test on yourself first (like on the inside of your elbow). I didn't use very much peppermint oil since that stuff is so strong.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
thanks!  we are doing much better now but it is nice to have a list like that... sorry if my random posting everywhere annoyed you into compiling one big list for me :-[

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 04:11:09 AM »
thanks!  we are doing much better now but it is nice to have a list like that... sorry if my random posting everywhere annoyed you into compiling one big list for me :-[
I have my tricks of the trade.  My list was already compiled and ready for such a purpose.  ;)

I also know that the search engine and the server have not been on their best behavior.  I can hardly fault you for that.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!