Author Topic: Molluscum Contagiosum  (Read 33016 times)

YoopreMama

Molluscum Contagiosum
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:33:11 AM »
 ???
Molluscum Contagiosum...my friend's 1 1/2 year old was diagnosed w/ this today...anyone ever hear of it?  Something like warts?

I'd appreciate any help!
Jen

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Molluscum Contagiosum
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:57:55 AM »
???
Molluscum Contagiosum...my friend's 1 1/2 year old was diagnosed w/ this today...anyone ever hear of it?  Something like warts?

I'd appreciate any help!
Jen

Never heard of it, but here's an article.

Molluscum Contagiosum
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:01:57 AM »
Thanks for the lead...I appreciate it! :)

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
Well, once again I find myself frustrated with the medical community...my 5 yo was diagnosed with molluscum about 2 months ago after dealing with it at home for about the same amount of time (so we're probably talking 4-5 months total with this problem).  Was told then that it was a virus (which it is) and that it will run its course.  Okay, run its course...I'm thinking maybe a couple of months or so.  So, here we are, a couple of months later and it is still here and getting worse.  So, I start to research (I know, I should have started at this point, but I didn't -- once again to my detriment--AAHHH!  >:()  And what do I find out?  Not only is it HIGHLY contagious (he told me it could spread, but that it wasn't likely), but that it often takes 2-3 years to leave the system.  Two to 3 years!!!! Are you kidding me? :o  This is especially true in those with immuno-compromised systems or allergies, which if you remember, I think my son may have a problem with yeast.   I'm beginning to wonder now if he may also be allergic to milk -- he drinks it constantly -- and when a body is trying to fight the allergy, it can't fight the virus.  Who knew?   :o

Now, granted, this doesn't seem to be bothering my son too much, but given the fact that we just spent the weekend vacation in a swimming pool (a prime area for spreading it) and that his swimming lessons will start on Monday (my boy is a FISH), it sure bothers me!   I don't know what to do.  I did a search on this site and it showed one thread related to this, and at that point no one was too familiar with it.  Just wondering if that has changed at all.  Has anyone had any experience with this nasty little virus and how have they treated it?  I came across one site (molluscum.com) that promotes their treatment that has silver, tea tree oil and petroleum jelly in it.  I'm considering trying it, but wanted to check here first to here from some veterans as to what their experience has been (if any).  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »
Two of my kids had it.  They were 1 & 3 at the time.  Theirs all "exploded" after one year.  A friend of mine took her kids to the doc for it and he said they could treat it, but it wasn't the best choice health wise becaue the molluscum is harmless and painless and goes away with time.  A few of the ones on my friend's son's got pretty big when they exploded and I think they did cause him some pain, but for the most part it isn't any big deal.  Just ugly. 
Sorry  :( 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 05:10:48 AM »
If your son has allergies and yeast issues then his immune system probably is compromised.  I don't know anything about molluscum, but if it is a virus then the only treatment is to strengthen the immune system to fight it.  I would definately think about treating for yeast and leaky gut syndrome.  This may not "cure" his problem, but it may help to heal underlying contributors and speed up healing and possibly reverse his food allergies.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 06:33:56 AM »
I have a friend who's son has this as well.  He's about 1 1/2.  She's treating him with Oil of Oregano, dipping a cotton swab in it, and rubbing it on each little spot.  She said she noticed an improvement right away, although they're still not all the way gone.  She bought the oil at a local health food store and it is diluted in olive oil.  So far she is very pleased with the results.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 07:05:22 AM »
My 7yos has been battling this for almost a year already.  We were told by our pediatrician that it was molluscum...by another pediatrician that it was something called bathtub follicolitis and by a dermatologist that it was both but also some could just be dry skin.

I was not convinced that they knew what they were talking about.  They wanted to burn them off with acid (which my husband agreed to let them do once...I just prayed for protection for my son) and to spray down my bathroom with bleach after each use...no thank you!

I began a search of my own.  We had him tested for allergies as an infant due to severe asthma, so I knew he had food allergies.  I began an elimination diet.  I realized that he spent most of the day in the garden eating green beans and peas, so we cut out ALL legumes.  Big difference immediately.  I should mention that along with an elimination diet I also gave him TTU 3x daily and diluted black cherry juice.

He still had spots in places so I asked here about them.  HB pointed me in the direction of soaps and detergents.  I replaced our soap with Ivory and ordered some plain old lye soap to use in the shower and grated lye for the laundry.  WOW!  After only a few days almost all spots are gone!

We are still watching what he eats...no dairy, sugar, wheat, that kind of thing.  Hopefully someday he will be able to eat these in small quantities once we get his system straightened out.

Hope this helps!

ndmomof4
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline chirpster1986

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had good results from home remedies for molluscom.  My 4 yr old has had a patch of about 9 bumps for a year and I am starting to see them slowly spread.  My friend's son had a patch on his legs and she took him to the dermatologist and had them burnt off, which left horrible scars and the bumps returned in a different area of his body.  I want to try a more natural route.  Thanks for your help.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
My oldest daughter had them all over her thighs when she was that age.  The doctor said that the virus would run its course and they would go away by themselves within two years.  It took a year for hers to disappear.  No real help, but just to let you know they will go away eventually. :-\
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline haapy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »
Hey, anyone out there have experience getting rid of molluscum cantagiousum in children.  It is a creepy skin disease, related to pox, which is sometimes confused with warts.  There are a few natural products advertised that promise to cure it,  but since they are expensive,  I'd like any success stories beforehand.  Thanks so much, Haapy

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
I think this is what my son had, and continues intermittantly to deal with.  Our dr. said it is a virus and he hasn't completely kicked the virus yet.  He gives him a herbal formal and we feed him lots of garlic.  It has been painful at times.  Other friends have it and their dr. said it will go away on it's own over time if you can stick it out.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:16:44 PM »
Interesting.... my son is fighting this right now also.  He's had it for six or seven months now.  I have put miracle salve on it every so often but it doesn't help much.  It's an internal virus but I thought I'd try the salve anyway.  Unfortunately for my son, it has increased his compromised his immune system badly.  We are being very careful to feed him well and for a long time gave him Sambucol trying to build his immune system.  His is slowwwwwwwwly starting to get better but it's a long haul.  My daughter got one of the pox and it went away very quickly.  I'm assuming because her immune system isn't compromised like my sons.  So, is this related to the chicken pox???  My kids have never had them and are not vaccinated against them. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
We are dealing with the same thing here, also. uck! Immune boosting as we speak.... err, type.
Wormwood, oregano oil, elderberry, Echinacea, the works! Now I just have to be consistant. :)
HTH
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:27:28 PM »
Three of my four kids have had this and my current one has them now (he'll be two next week). 
I have been rubbing GOOT on his back at nap and night and found that after about a week one on his back exploded.  I don't think it was a brand new one, but they usually don't explode (pop- whatever you call it) for a year- and I am sure it wasn't that old. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »
Three of my four kids have had this and my current one has them now (he'll be two next week). 
I have been rubbing GOOT on his back at nap and night and found that after about a week one on his back exploded.  I don't think it was a brand new one, but they usually don't explode (pop- whatever you call it) for a year- and I am sure it wasn't that old. 
So was this "explosion" a positive reaction ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 09:17:22 PM »
LOL, yes, the "explosion" is when the root comes out.  It falls out over the course of a couple of days or you can just pull it out. 
The molluscum are skin colored warts.  When it "erupts" it turns red and can be a little bit bloody if it is ripped accidentally (doesn't seem to hurt!) and then this yellowish hard core starts to come out.  After it is out (2 days or so) it heals with no scar. 
My dh loves to pop things, so on our 2nd son (first child with the molluscum) he popped a lot of them and pulled out the roots.  These left tiny little pock marks.  Our dd, he didn't pop them and she has no scars.  So I recommend leaving them to take their natural course in erupting.  I don't think pulling out the protruding root with cause a scar though since it is already erupting. 

Confused? 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:28 AM »
Mishy,

Thanks for all that info!  I think I'm going to use the GOOT on my boy to try and hasten this stuff going away.  His immune system has been so compromised that the sooner I get rid of it the better.  Thanks!  Off to make my GOOT.  ;D

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline RachaelDavis

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
LOL, yes, the "explosion" is when the root comes out.  It falls out over the course of a couple of days or you can just pull it out. 
The molluscum are skin colored warts.  When it "erupts" it turns red and can be a little bit bloody if it is ripped accidentally (doesn't seem to hurt!) and then this yellowish hard core starts to come out.  After it is out (2 days or so) it heals with no scar. 
My dh loves to pop things, so on our 2nd son (first child with the molluscum) he popped a lot of them and pulled out the roots.  These left tiny little pock marks.  Our dd, he didn't pop them and she has no scars.  So I recommend leaving them to take their natural course in erupting.  I don't think pulling out the protruding root with cause a scar though since it is already erupting. 

Confused? 

Offline RachaelDavis

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
[My 6 year old daughter had a severe case of Molluscum for over a year. It was on her torso, face, both legs and one arm (probably near a 100, and half had cores). She was so embarrassed. The Physician I took her to said to ignore it, but it’s ridiculous to have to deal with that for a long time and do nothing. I went to the website “Molluscum.com” and ordered the “family pack” for her. It had a lot of different products in it and I used them all as instructed. Her lesions cleared up completely within 5 weeks. The worst part was extracting the cores as instructed, but when I did that (a week late) I noticed they did begin to go away much faster. She does not have any scars, and we are glad to finally be done with those disgusting lesions. Rachael D.

Offline John Davis

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 05:51:31 AM »
I had excellent results treating my 4 year old son who had molluscum lesions on the back of his knees. Due to his excema in this area he scratched and spread the lesions to his torso and face. The dermatologist wanted to burn them off. After one session my wife and I agreed we would not put him though this again. We looked on-line for help and found molluscum.com. We were both very sceptical, but decided to take advantage of the money back guarantee. What a great product! :o We purchased the Family pack, because our son's lesions were spreading and we wanted to prevent others in the family from contracting. We had to express out the cores of  :'( which was not as traumatic as the dermatologist visit, but still no walk in the park. The silver products even help calm his eczema. His skin is now free of all the molluscum lesions and  with school just around the corner we couldn't be happier. Thank you, molluscum.com!!  ;D                                             

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:06:59 AM »
All three of my girls have had this - and one still currently has it.  My oldest got it first - almost 3 years ago.  One sure way to tell if it's molluscum is that the bump has an indention in the top of it.  Several months after the bumps show up they turn red and look like your worst pimple nightmare.  And my girls said they do hurt when they blister up like that.  They've all had at least a couple that were so swollen the skin looked purpley.

With my first daughter I popped each one as they blistered up.  But  I now believe that was a mistake and I was spreading the infection.  She had the most, and after about a year my youngest started getting them - but just a few, and they were here and there - one on her back, one on her tummy, etc.  Then I thought we were done with them but my middle daughter started getting a couple, and then the youngest again.  This time what I did was put diluted GSE (grapefruit seed extract) on them - I'd put several drops in just a teaspoon or so of water and dab it on with my finger.  This caused them to clear up in just a couple of days.

However that's just treating the ones that are visible.  The virus is still in the body, so I would think that something anti-viral like garlic would help get it out of the system.
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline screasy

• Adept
  • Trying my best....
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »
My two daughters have small bumps on their legs and under their chins which the doctor has identified as Molluscum.  She said that the bumps would go away on their own after a few months or years, and removing them would leave scars.

They look kind of like a small wart, and spread to different areas if touched.  Does anyone else have experience with this and is there a natural treatment which may help reduce them?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
My two daughters have small bumps on their legs and under their chins which the doctor has identified as Molluscum.  She said that the bumps would go away on their own after a few months or years, and removing them would leave scars.

They look kind of like a small wart, and spread to different areas if touched.  Does anyone else have experience with this and is there a natural treatment which may help reduce them?

Oh yeah, been dealing with this for 8 months.  Okay, don't believe a word your doctor said.  Sorry I'm a little tainted by docs these days.  Ours told us molluscum would go away in under 6 months.  In the meantime, they're contagious to everyone and their immune systems are compromised.  I did some research and found that the guy who created the ear thermometer also came out with a way to treat molluscum because his daughter had it bad.  My son doesn't have it bad, but he does have a compromised immune system already and this wasn't helping.  Go to www.molluscum.com.  He sells something call silvercure.  It's colloidal silver put into ionic form.  You will have to pop the "queen" or "mother" molluscums and get the core out (he tells how to do this in the directions for the silvercure).  It will bleed profusely.  I mean, buy stock in bandaid brand.  We just used the little round bandaids on our sons.  We've been putting the silvercure on our sons for just over two weeks now and his is almost gone.  Tonight we found another "queen" and my husband removed the core.  This was a baby that has matured in the past few weeks.  We've noticed it wouldn't go away with just the silvercure.  Honestly, I think that the silver is just to prevent secondary infection after popping and removing those cores.  But it does prevent infection.  We've had no trouble with that after opening these things up. 

We did not buy the whole household package because my son didn't have it bad.  If he'd had it real bad we would have.  I know one other person that just started using it.  You should begin to see healing results within 24-48hrs after starting it.

hth

patti

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
Any help for adults? 

My sister recently told me that she is dealing with this virus.  My gut instinct is to start her on a consistant regimand of garlic.  She smokes (her New Year's resolution is to quit) and does not live a very healthy lifestyle, although talking with me about this, she is realizing her need to get healthy.  For this realization alone, I am thankful.  She is in a "teachable" place :)

I've thought about having her try the oil of oregano (diluted w/olive oil) or the grapefruit seed extract mixed in water.

I am also suspecting yeast overgrowth and want to get her on some TTU as well.  She needs a good detox and overall, over-haul!  I know this has to be done slowly and I don't want her to be on something so long that her body gets immune to it.

What are some of the best anti-virals you suggest?  How long do you think I should have her on garlic before she needs a break (if she needs one at all)?  Anything else?  She'll be visiting me soon so I can take her to the health food store and do an "informational tour" :) 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »
Any help for adults? 

My sister recently told me that she is dealing with this virus.  My gut instinct is to start her on a consistant regimand of garlic.  She smokes (her New Year's resolution is to quit) and does not live a very healthy lifestyle, although talking with me about this, she is realizing her need to get healthy.  For this realization alone, I am thankful.  She is in a "teachable" place :)

I've thought about having her try the oil of oregano (diluted w/olive oil) or the grapefruit seed extract mixed in water.

I am also suspecting yeast overgrowth and want to get her on some TTU as well.  She needs a good detox and overall, over-haul!  I know this has to be done slowly and I don't want her to be on something so long that her body gets immune to it.

What are some of the best anti-virals you suggest?  How long do you think I should have her on garlic before she needs a break (if she needs one at all)?  Anything else?  She'll be visiting me soon so I can take her to the health food store and do an "informational tour" :) 

The biggest problem is that none of those things will help (we tried them all) unless you remove the cores from the spots.  It literally requires someone squeezing the skin to death until that hard white core pops out and the person bleeds profusely.  Then you can treat it will colloidal silver or some other antibiotic treatment on the skin to prevent infection.  But just taking stuff internally will not work.  And not taking care of the muscullosum will only make it worse as the queens "have babies" and spread and those mature, etc. etc.  It's an ugly process but other then waiting around for a couple of years potentially, she'll have to start with this route. 

Sorry it isn't prettier then that.   :-\

patti

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »
We have been battling this with my 9 yo ds for a couple of years.  We've had doctors tell us it was molluscum, some say just dry skin, and others say it's allergies.

Anyway, I finally took some advice from the bathing baby thread and have had him stop taking showers.  I have him soak in a tub of water to which I have added a handful of Dead Sea Salts, a few drops of oil (olive, coconut, or jojoba) and a few drops of an essential oil.  He uses absolutely no soap, shampoo or anything of the sort.  WOW!  What a difference!  His skin looks so much better.

My midwife also suggested a mild liver cleanse, but I haven't found one that I'm comfortable using on him yet.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
I don't know why I didn't think to check here when my girls got this!  My sister's girls had it first, a couple years ago (?).  She goes to a naturopathic doctor.  He/she explained that it is indeed a virus, highly contagious (like chicken pox).  She needed to make sure her girls didn't bathe together, share towels or clothes, and to wash good after touching them.
She was also told to use Virox LarreaRx .  This works really well, although not in only a couple of weeks.  There is no need to pop or dig out whatever is inside.  The spots just gradually go away, no scarring.
My girls did end up getting this from their cousins.  Hard to keep little girls completely away from each other and prevent them from sharing clothes, you know!  I bought the lotion and applied it to all the spots a couple times a day.  I didn't always worry about washing up immediately afterwards; I figured that the lotion was now on my finger, so it must be protected from the virus!  ;D
Anyway, I can't say anything about these other treatments, but it sounds like not much fun to dig out things and make the poor kid bleed if it's not necessary.  The lotion does seem pricey, but it lasts a long time, and it worked for us...as long as the adult in charge remembered to use it!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:11:39 PM by healthybratt »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
I don't know why I didn't think to check here when my girls got this!  My sister's girls had it first, a couple years ago (?).  She goes to a naturopathic doctor.  He/she explained that it is indeed a virus, highly contagious (like chicken pox).  She needed to make sure her girls didn't bathe together, share towels or clothes, and to wash good after touching them.
She was also told to use Virox LarreaRx .  This works really well, although not in only a couple of weeks.  There is no need to pop or dig out whatever is inside.  The spots just gradually go away, no scarring.
My girls did end up getting this from their cousins.  Hard to keep little girls completely away from each other and prevent them from sharing clothes, you know!  I bought the lotion and applied it to all the spots a couple times a day.  I didn't always worry about washing up immediately afterwards; I figured that the lotion was now on my finger, so it must be protected from the virus!  ;D

Anyway, I can't say anything about these other treatments, but it sounds like not much fun to dig out things and make the poor kid bleed if it's not necessary.  The lotion does seem pricey, but it lasts a long time, and it worked for us...as long as the adult in charge remembered to use it!

I think one issue I found with different things I read (and definately my son) is that a compromised immune system is unable to make use of topicals for whatever reason.  My son had this for months on end and it was only getting worse (although we were working on the immune system already).  So I guess if someone has a strong, healthy immune system the lotions might work and their bodies can fight the virus.  My son could not fight this thing.  He passed it to his little sister and she had no trouble fighting it without us doing anything; and big sister never got it.  Weird.

patti
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:11:23 PM by healthybratt »

Offline researchdp

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 04:49:35 AM »
Molluscum Contagiosum can be cured in three weeks with a product called SilverCure from ReBuilder Medical.  The website for info is http://www.molluscum.com.
This product uses a special form of silver.  The inventor developed it for his grandaughter.