Author Topic: Remineralization of teeth  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Jo-Mama

• Learning
Remineralization of teeth
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
I am researching ways to strengthen the health of my 8 year old daughter's teeth, as they are demineralizing.  Last year she had a pulpotomy on a baby tooth and now her permanant teeth are decaying as they are coming in.  I have read about Dr. Price and his use of x-factor oil from grass fed cows.  I have read the pros and cons of xylitol.  I found a web site by Rami Nagel, a father who claims to have had success in remineralizing his daughter's and his teeth with the x-factor oil and diet changes (from the Nourishing Traditions book). He is against the use of xylitol. www.youreturn.org and www.curetoothdecay.com.  Has anyone had experience with this?

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
Re: Remineralization of teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:30:11 AM »
My 5 yr old is going through this now....she's scheduled for possible pulps in about 8 teeth...I'll be curious what you come up with. I brushed her teeth wetting the brush with peroxide for a while and noticed a difference when I stopped doing that. Also rinsed her mouth with a Xylitol rinse but she's not so cooperative with that one. This is all helping the existing cavities but I am at a loss as to how to deal with the underlying problem. I have been told that lack of enamel is a common problem and to have her perm. teeth sealed as they come in ( usually they wait until ALL teeth are in). I see the Ped. dentist on Wed. and will be discussing this in more detail. Also attmepting to set aside some time to research !

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »
We just returned from visit #1 ( of about 5) to fill 2 molars in my 5 yr old. The dentist was very nice but encouraged me to use flouride to help her ( as yet undeveloped) permanent teeth. She suggested drops for in her juice. I mentioned peroxide to help existing cavities ( which I've been using for a few weeks) and she said NO! The peroxide kills the GOOD bacteria and she does not recommend it at all. Hmmmm. This 5 yr old is facing 2 crowns and 3 root canals....they basically say use flouride, hold your breath until the permanent teeth come in and then seal them. I will be hoping for a medical breakthrough i guess!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:10:11 PM »
We just returned from visit #1 ( of about 5) to fill 2 molars in my 5 yr old. The dentist was very nice but encouraged me to use flouride to help her ( as yet undeveloped) permanent teeth. She suggested drops for in her juice. I mentioned peroxide to help existing cavities ( which I've been using for a few weeks) and she said NO! The peroxide kills the GOOD bacteria and she does not recommend it at all. Hmmmm. This 5 yr old is facing 2 crowns and 3 root canals....they basically say use flouride, hold your breath until the permanent teeth come in and then seal them. I will be hoping for a medical breakthrough i guess!

This sounds just like my 5 yo dd.  The dentist said diet has a huge deal to do with tooth health.  He also recommends flouride.  I haven't, yet.  Interestingly enough, the kiddo I did use the most flouride on has no cavities.  The next one, who I wasn't as meticulous with, has two cavities.  The youngest, no consistent flouride to speak of, has TONS!  Her whole mouth has been redone.  I still haven't gone to flouride with her, though.  Is it the lesser of two evils when one has a child with weak teeth?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:58:46 PM by crystal »

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
I have two suggestions . . . After being pregnant, nursing, pregnant, nursing with no breaks, my teeth began to hurt.  Cod liver oil helped tremendously.  This is in conjunction with a natural diet high in beneficial animal proteins, as Dr. Price recommended.  Also, I recently had a hair analysis done, and found that some of my minerals were unbalanced (calcium / magnesium ratio, among others).  I understand that if the minerals are out of balance, it can leach minerals from bones and teeth.  I would think that remineralization will depend on proper balance.  I am currently using supplements to match my specific needs.  . . . And I'm considering having an analysis for 6yo ds.

Offline Jo-Mama

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
I ordered some Tooth Soap today (see tooth and dental thread--Tooth Soap) and am on the hunt again for raw milk, which we have used off and on.  I am also going to up the calcium/magnesium-- and prayer.

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »
If you can find raw mild, do it! Back when my son was having eczema & digestive problems he also had a darkening of his front teeth which I now think was lack of certain nutrition. At the time we had not been giving him dairy to see if the eczema was a dairy allergy. But when we began giving him plenty of raw milk and cod liver oil, and a good children's multi the tooth staining has not returned.  Also his eczema and the rest of his digestive issues cleared up. We also gave him a chewable digestive enzyme tablet with his meals. Increasing his nutrition helped. You could try giving a calcium/magnesium supplement like Bone Ami plus cod liver oil if you just can't find raw milk. If you do find milk, getting magnesium along with calcium is important.

Or make chicken stock regularly for drinking or soups. It's high in minerals & calcium too. I simmered the bones once all night and when I refrigerated the liquid broth, it was white, like milk! Was that the calcium? Interesting. It doesn't do that if enough chicken meat is still on the bones and I include a few vegetables, that turns out normal yellow broth color.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:23:34 AM »
If you can find raw mild, do it!

I couldn't agree more!!  I have been drinking raw milk for about a year, now.  I just had a recent dental cleaning about a month ago.  My hygienist, who is also my aunt, said my teeth have looked the best they have ever looked in my life.  In fact, she also said that they looked like they had been reversed!  The only difference in my life was:  I cut back on my tea intake, I was drinking raw milk, and took CLO, periodically.
I truly believe it was the raw milk!  HTH!

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 04:29:06 AM »
In addition to the above advice, another health group I am a part of has been discussing remineralization of teeth as of late, regarding children especially, and here is some advise I have copied and pasted.  Just things to consider.  I have not looked into these things, but these people tend to do their research, so perhaps these are things you can look up as well.

I can echo the comment about the clay. I got advice from Raymond Silkman (who presented at WAPF conference a couple of years ago on dental issues) that swishing with some clay right before bed and letting it sit on the teeth all night can help (and of course you're also swallowing those minerals). We've been doing this for about a month for my son who has weak teeth. It's surprisingly unyucky, too, doesn't taste like much of anything. Silkman recommended a brand called Terramin, available in California, but I'm sure there are lots of good clays out there. Of course, like everything else, it's not inexpensive.

Azomite powder was recommended as well, for this.

It's not that I can tell you what TO do, but maybe I can tell you some
things not to do.

Stop with the xylitol. It is NOT good for you, me or anybody else. Stop the baking soda. Taking calcium won't help. There is only one isolated calcium compound supplement that is any good for anybody and that is calcium orotate, and it won't help this, or at least not soon enough. You only assimilate calcium properly from plants, raw dairy or raw fermented dairy, or from plant food supplements (supplements that are actually green food/superfood). All other forms of supplmental calcium are just going to cause more calcification than anything else.

Don't overdo brushing. Don't use mouthwashes. Try Miracle II Neutralizer GEL for brushing your teeth; It is a MILD cleanser. I have never had such a
clean but non-astringent feeling in my mouth as I have with M2Neutralizer.
For flossing, get floss without anything else on it at all at least while
you are trying to remineralize. Try getting some hydroxyapatite powder and hold it in your mouth licking it around on your teeth after flossing &
brushing, but spit it out afterwards.

I would be very careful with any abrasive until I felt on the mend. Once in
a week or two, I brush my teeth with food grade diatomaceous earth for
cleaning of deposits, right after using a dental pick to get what I can see.

People have filled in caries with Hydroxyapatite and had it to solidify as
part of the tooth.

HTH!

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
Well I've been doing a lot of reading...I'm going with the unbalanced minerals theory. I'm trying the magnesium with her and I am going to try some bentonite clay. No fluoride. I'm convinced on that one. The dentist will do composite fillings if I insist....but she tells me the mercury in fillings these days is negligible. Still undecided on who to believe about that .

Offline Jo-Mama

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »
I talked with my son-in-law today about the steps we were taking for the remineralization.  He looked at my daughter's teeth and said that was what his teeth started looking like while he lived in Yemen for 2 years.  When he came back to the states and ate more healthfully his teeth repaired themselves and the dentist saw no damage.  I am very hopeful.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »
....but she tells me the mercury in fillings these days is negligible. Still undecided on who to believe about that .

LOL!! Hey freshisbest, tell your dentist that you would like to make her a nice batch of homemade fudge brownies, but that you would only put a 'negligible' amount of dog poop in the brownies. That amount of dog poop she wouldn't mind, right? :D ;D

I think she would get your point ;)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:18:42 AM »
....but she tells me the mercury in fillings these days is negligible. Still undecided on who to believe about that .

LOL!! Hey freshisbest, tell your dentist that you would like to make her a nice batch of homemade fudge brownies, but that you would only put a 'negligible' amount of dog poop in the brownies. That amount of dog poop she wouldn't mind, right? :D ;D

I think she would get your point ;)
;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »

Try Dr. Huggins' website, for the mercury info: www.hugginsappliedhealing.com   
Fillings are nearly half mercury, I believe.  There are astonishing stories about mercury poisoning from fillings.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 07:01:12 AM »
Huggins had his dental license revoked and I'm not seeing very much scientific data on his website. I'm still sifting thru the info..but there is a strong argument that binding mercury with the other metals is what makes it not harmful..much like binding hydrogen with oxygen makes water not an explosion. Or some such. Lots to read....meanwhile the dentist WILL use composites if you ask. Anything foreign in your mouth has to be ' not good '.... but rotten teeth are no good either...so this battle has to be fought on many levels. I tried to get some raw milk today and it was $6 per half gallon...yikes!! Thats an expensive solution. FYI I found some liquid minerals , unflavored, you just pour in juice. So I feel like I'm doing something in the right direction.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »
For the scientific case against amalgam fillings, see this site...

http://www.iaomt.org/

My holistic dentist says that there are enough dental problems caused by amalgam fillings to be opposed to them before you even look at other problems throughout the body. Mercury expands with rising temperature, just like mercury in a thermometer expands. This causes cracked teeth. He sees several patients with cracked teeth due to amalgams on a weekly basis.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
Now that makes sense..thanks for the link

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:04 AM »
Here are some links that provide some information about natural (herbal) calcium and teeth...from my favorite herbalism website:

http://www.herballegacy.com/Teeth.html

http://www.herballegacy.com/Herbal_Calcium.html (look at the first testimonial at the bottom!)

http://www.herballegacy.com/Herbal_Tooth.html

~Jeni

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
Thanks!