Author Topic: Recurrent Illness in Spite of Healthy Living: Troubleshooting  (Read 16716 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Recurrent Illness in Spite of Healthy Living: Troubleshooting
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 08:36:50 AM »
Emergen-C has Asparic Acid in it.  I know that is at least related to Aspartame.  I don't know if it's as bad or not but Aspartame freaks me out because I have not gotten a definitive answer and we avoid aspartame like the plague.  It's the 2nd to last ingredient, I believe.
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm This cleared up the details of asparic acid for me :) I checked the Emergen C website and it does contain asparic acid.

HA!  Nevermind my PM then!  I would hate to poison one of my friends.  I thought I was just being paranoid.  That article confirmed my suspicions.  I guess I'll be dumping the Emergen-C in my cupboard.  Thanks for the link!

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
Has anyone had success in using either Airborne or Emergen-C?

Are they junk or helpful?

Just wondering.  Some friends swear by them as immune boosters, claiming they "knock" something out right as it is starting. 

I don't think I like all the ingredients just from reading you all but my aunt is a nurse and she swears by airborne.  Just a note.  I like elderberry, echinacea, and oregano oil for taking care of stuff before and as it is happening.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »
I have opened up a new board under Alternate Modalities called Air Purification & Oxygenation.

I am not sure what will happen in that board... but I think that a lot of what is being discussed in this thread points to a need for more discussion in that board.

Hmmm... not sure what else to say here, except that there is this one thread on WTM where I actually called a group of people a name, and even implied that I might be one of them... those loonies...

--gabe

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »
Bovine Colostrum is coming to mind as a possible help after having read this most recent BeeYoutiful catalog.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
Has anyone had success in using either Airborne or Emergen-C?

Are they junk or helpful?

Just wondering.  Some friends swear by them as immune boosters, claiming they "knock" something out right as it is starting. 

I have found Airborne to help, but haven't used it that much since the Sucralose discussion came up on WTM.  I found this interesting article about the makers of Airborne being under a lawsuit:

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/airborne-customers-to-receive-refunds/20080304074909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I actually like Zicam (nasal swabs rather than lozenges) for when I'm starting to get a cold.  We've also started using BerryWell recently and found it to help.  We used our first bottle up quickly...our new order (2 bottles this time!) just arrived today.  There really is a lot just "going around" this year, but thanks to all the advice I've gotten on WTM, we do get over things a lot faster.

Another thought getting back to your original post & discussion...when you moved, did your husband change jobs?  Could be that HE is exposed to a different environment and is the "carrier" to bring things home...just a thought.  I know that my DH brought home the flu to us (and he was the only one who got a flu shot this year!  ::))

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Hey y'all! I know I've talked a lot about AdenoVirus lately.... but it's because it is EVERYWHERE. Almost every family I know has had it... they just didn't know that is what it's called.

It seems to affect each person differently and can come and go for about 6 weeks!

I'm wondering if it was really rampant this year and that is why people are stuck down with this VERY contagious virus... then their immune systems don't recover fully.
We don't need to talk about AdenoVirus here, I just wanted to introduce that virus as a reason for this years recurrent illness in spite of healthy living.

WellTellMe thread about AdenoVirus:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13373.0.html

Symptoms here:
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/adenovirus.html
Adenoviruses a group of viruses that infect the membranes (tissue linings) of the respiratory tract, the eyes, the intestines, and the urinary tract account for about 10% of acute respiratory infections in children and are a frequent cause of diarrhea.

Adenoviral infections affect infants and young children much more frequently than adults. Child-care centers and schools sometimes experience multiple cases of respiratory infections and diarrhea that are caused by adenovirus.

Although these infections can occur at any time of the year, respiratory tract disease caused by adenovirus is more common in late winter, spring, and early summer. However, conjunctivitis and pharyngoconjunctival fever caused by adenovirus tend to affect older kids mostly in the summer.

The majority of the population will have experienced at least one adenoviral infection by age 10. Although adenoviral infection in kids can occur at any age, most take place in the first years of life. Since there are many different types of adenovirus, repeated adenoviral infections can occur.

Signs and Symptoms
Depending on which part of the body is affected, the signs and symptoms of adenoviral infections vary:

Febrile respiratory disease, which is an infection of the respiratory tract that includes a fever, is the most common result of adenoviral infection in children. The illness often appears flu-like and can include symptoms of pharyngitis (inflammation of the pharynx, or sore throat), rhinitis (inflammation of nasal membranes, or a congested, runny nose), cough, and swollen lymph nodes (glands). Sometimes the respiratory infection leads to acute otitis media, an infection of the middle ear. Adenovirus often affects the lower respiratory tract as well, causing bronchiolitis, croup, or viral pneumonia, which is less common but can cause serious illness in infants. Adenovirus can also produce a dry, harsh cough that can resemble whooping cough (pertussis).

Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the stomach and the small and large intestines. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, and abdominal cramps.

Urinary tract infections can cause frequent urination, burning, pain, and blood in the urine.

Eye Infections:

Conjunctivitis (or pinkeye) is a mild inflammation of the conjunctiva (membranes that cover the eye and inner surfaces of the eyelids). Symptoms include red eyes, discharge, tearing, and the feeling that there's something in the eye.
Pharyngoconjunctival fever, often seen in small outbreaks among school-age children, occurs when adenovirus affects both the lining of the eye and the respiratory tract. Symptoms include very red eyes and a severe sore throat, sometimes accompanied by low-grade fever, rhinitis, and swollen lymph nodes.
Keratoconjunctivitis is a more severe infection that involves both the conjunctiva and cornea (the transparent front part of the eye). This type of adenoviral infection is extremely contagious, and occurs most often in older children and young adults, who complain of red eyes, photophobia (discomfort of the eyes upon exposure to light), tearing, and pain.
Contagiousness
Adenovirus is highly contagious, as indicated by the occurrence of multiple cases in situations of close contact, such as child-care centers, schools, hospitals, and summer camps.

The types of adenovirus that cause respiratory and intestinal infections spread from person to person through respiratory secretions (coughs or sneezes) or fecal contamination. Fecal material can be ingested through contamination of water supplies, poor hand washing between the bathroom and the kitchen, eating food contaminated by houseflies, or poor hygiene after handling diapers.

A child might also pick up the virus by holding hands or sharing a toy with an infected person. Indirect transmission can occur through exposure to the contaminated surfaces of furniture and other objects.

The types of adenovirus causing conjunctivitis may be transmitted by water (in lakes and swimming pools), by sharing contaminated objects (such as towels or toys), or by touch.

Once a child is exposed to adenovirus, symptoms can develop from 2 days to 2 weeks later.

Treatment
Adenoviral illnesses often resemble certain bacterial infections, which can be treated with antibiotics. But antibiotics don't work against viruses. To diagnose the true cause of the symptoms so that proper treatment can be prescribed, your doctor may want to test a sample of respiratory or conjunctival secretions, a stool specimen, or blood or urine sample depending on what condition is being considered.

The doctor will decide on a course of action based on your child's condition. Adenoviral infections usually don't require hospitalization. However, infants and young children may not be able to drink enough fluids to replace what they lose during vomiting or diarrhea and may therefore need to be hospitalized to correct or prevent dehydration. Also, young especially premature infants with pneumonia usually need to be hospitalized.

In most cases, a child's body will get rid of the virus over time. Because antibiotics are of no use in treating a viral infection, you should simply try to make your child more comfortable.

If your child has a respiratory infection or fever, getting plenty of rest and taking in extra fluids is essential. A cool-mist humidifier (vaporizer) may help loosen congestion and make your child more comfortable. Be sure to clean and dry the humidifier thoroughly each day to prevent bacterial or mold contamination. If your child is under 6 months old, you may need to clear his or her nose with a bulb syringe.

Don't give any over-the-counter (OTC) cold remedies or cough medicines without checking with your child's doctor. You can use acetaminophen to treat a fever; however, do not give aspirin because of the risk of Reye syndrome, a life-threatening illness.

If your child has diarrhea or is vomiting, increase fluid intake and check with the doctor about giving an oral rehydration solution to prevent dehydration.

To relieve the symptoms of conjunctivitis, use warm compresses and a topical eye ointment or drops if your doctor recommends them.

Duration
Most adenoviral infections last from a few days to a week. Severe respiratory infections may last longer and cause lingering symptoms, such as a cough. Pneumonia can last anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

In cases of pharyngoconjunctival fever, sore throat and fever may disappear within a week, but conjunctivitis can persist for another several days to a week. The more severe keratoconjunctivitis can even last for several weeks. Adenovirus can also cause diarrhea that lasts up to 2 weeks, which is longer than other viral diarrheas.

Prevention
There's no way to completely prevent adenoviral infections in kids. To reduce the risk of transmission, parents and other caregivers should encourage frequent hand washing, keep shared surfaces such as countertops and toys clean, and remove children with infections from group settings until symptoms subside.

When to Call the Doctor
Most of these adenoviral conditions and their symptoms are also associated with other causes. Call your doctor if:

a fever continues more than a few days
symptoms seem to get worse after a week
your child has breathing problems
your child is under 3 months old
any swelling and redness around the eye becomes more severe or painful
your child shows signs of dehydration, such as appearing tired or lacking energy, producing less urine or tears, or having a dry mouth or sunken eyes
Remember that you know your child best. If he or she appears to be severely ill, don't hesitate to call your doctor right away.

Reviewed by: Joel Klein, MD
Date reviewed: September 2006

Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
Just wanted to throw my two cents' worth in. 

We too have been sick very frequently starting with about the winter before last.  Whatever goes around we seem to get, but usually in different ways for different family members.  I finally decided that whatever is the weakest spot in our bodies is where the viruses seem to hit the hardest.  For instance, my husband and daughter who have a lot of bowel issues seem always to get the disease there first.  My son who has a lot of food allergies always seems to get it in the respiratory tract first.  I always get a sore throat first, which has been the case my whole life.

Anyway, I think that this past year especially has been hard on everyone.  i know most of the families in our church have had several bouts of illness this year already.  I finally started keeping track of how much my family was sick and it was every 1-1/2--2 weeks one of us was sick.  We seem to be on the well side of the fence now, though, praise the Lord!

By the way, we live in the SW.
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

burlsgirl

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 04:33:54 AM »
Please help me before I LOSE MY MIND!! I've lost count of how long we've been sick on & off, but it seems like months!

Now, my 2 1/2 yo dd is throwing up, but only at night when she's asleep. Night before last, she threw up lots one time, then had 4-5 episodes of dry heaving w/ a little bile. Then, she was totally fine all day yesterday. Then this morning around 3:00 a.m., she threw up big again, then had 2 episodes of the dry heaving. Tiny amount of diarrhea in her diaper.

My one year old threw up in the night, just once, three nights ago and has been fine ever since.

Both of them have a little less of an appetite, but nothing anyone else would notice.

So, here's my question. Assuming this is viral (probably adenovirus):

1. why's she only being sick at night?
2. what can I feed her during her waking hours to help her digestion not be overloaded in the nighttime hours?
and finally,
3. HOW DO WE GET RID OF THIS FOR GOOD????

I seriously just want to purge this family of sickness!!! Help!

Thanks,
Emily

cecac

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:26 AM »
Emily,

I feel for you, as I've been there before, too.  (((((hugs)))))

One time, we actually passed the same stomach viral thing with another family for 6 months.  We would be extra cautious and wait for no symptoms for over a week, and then whamo, someone else would turn up with the same symptoms.

We haven't had quite as bad of episodes the past few years, and I am thinking one thing that has helped is being patient about keeping the children down and away from public.  I think getting back to a normal routine too quickly pulls our children and us down.

I tend to pull out the bleach for bathrooms, kitchen sinks, and dishes during and after sickness.  We wash the sheets in hot water, etc, during the time right after sickness.  It may would also help to use tea tree oil in a nebulizer to purify air, or perhaps there are other essential oil blends that are helpful like that.

Another thing is changing kitchen and bathroom towels daily.  In our home with 13 people here all the time, towels can tend to cause problems.  We have to wash towels a whole lot in hot soapy water.  We try to keep our bathrooms very dry and clean, clearing out all wet towels after bathing times.

As to diet, I just think chicken soup and bland, mild foods during and after episodes is helpful.  We tend to drink kefir 5-6 times per week, too, and I think that helps keep viral bugs at bay.  Also, I notice that viral bugs get started here when we eat sugary things for a while, several times per week.  For instance, we generally get sick in January after the Christmas splurge.  We actually don't do that so much anymore to try and aleviate that illness season. :-\   

HTH,
Cara

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »
Please help me before I LOSE MY MIND!! I've lost count of how long we've been sick on & off, but it seems like months!

Now, my 2 1/2 yo dd is throwing up, but only at night when she's asleep. Night before last, she threw up lots one time, then had 4-5 episodes of dry heaving w/ a little bile. Then, she was totally fine all day yesterday. Then this morning around 3:00 a.m., she threw up big again, then had 2 episodes of the dry heaving. Tiny amount of diarrhea in her diaper.

My one year old threw up in the night, just once, three nights ago and has been fine ever since.

Both of them have a little less of an appetite, but nothing anyone else would notice.

So, here's my question. Assuming this is viral (probably adenovirus):

1. why's she only being sick at night?
2. what can I feed her during her waking hours to help her digestion not be overloaded in the nighttime hours?
and finally,
3. HOW DO WE GET RID OF THIS FOR GOOD????

I seriously just want to purge this family of sickness!!! Help!

Thanks,
Emily

The AV can cause inflammation in the gut (and joints, and throat, and urinary tract). So, see what you are feeding them for dinner. Anything to create mucous or inflame more?
Research inflammation and see what makes it lessen and what aggravates it.
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 05:22:07 AM »
Well, I'm definitely a newbie to the herbs and natural heath thing.  Actually, my parents were Jesus-hippies who fed us all manner of disgusting health foods, which really backfired, as I eschewed anything that tastes or smells like potting soil.  I want to be healthy, but I also believe that food should be enjoyed and not cause a gag reflex in young children :)

I found bulkherbstore.com a few months back, and have been doing a lot of reading and research.  I have seen a lot on this thread about the different commercial 'immune boosters'...has anyone tried the Double E Immune booster mix from http://www.bulkherbstore.com?  It's one of their herbal mixes.  There is also an article about it on the site.  I am already looking toward the fall and 'back to school' illnesses, so I wanted to get a batch started.

If the illnesses are not affected by antibiotics (natural or otherwise) then I would think your best bet would be to work on strenghtening your immune system between illnesses.  I think the How To Herb Book discusses this topic on eating a plain food diet to help your body recover(?)  It's just a hunch, but I think that making big changes in diet and location tax your immunity, as your body needs time to adjust to these changes.

Like I said before...I'm just a newbie, but it seems like it would be better to focus on simple foods that will support your body's healing process between illnesses, instead of adding to your health regime.  Especially if you've been sick on and off for several months.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 06:01:11 AM »
3. HOW DO WE GET RID OF THIS FOR GOOD?
Enzymes, Tummy Tuneup and Cod Liver Oil.  I would also add in some garlic poultices to help kill off the virus. 

You can get enzymes in supplements which are very good, but if you can get your hands on papaya or fresh pineapple, these are also full of wonderful enzymes.  Just a plug for pineapple...I went out to eat a couple of weeks ago and it was such a treat, I wound up overeating...much like one might do  at Thanksgiving when the eating is good.  I also ate several small pieces of pineapple on top of my already too large meal.  By all rights, I should have been miserable for hours due to my overconsumption, but the pineapple did wonders.  My "overfull" feeling subsided in less than 30 minutes. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:05:43 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »
Enzymes, Tummy Tuneup and Cod Liver Oil.  I would also add in some garlic poultices to help kill off the virus. 

You can get enzymes in supplements which are very good, but if you can get your hands on papaya or fresh pineapple, these are also full of wonderful enzymes.  Just a plug for pineapple...I went out to eat a couple of weeks ago and it was such a treat, I wound up overeating...much like one might do  at Thanksgiving when the eating is good.  I also ate several small pieces of pineapple on top of my already too large meal.  By all rights, I should have been miserable for hours due to my overconsumption, but the pineapple did wonders.  My "overfull" feeling subsided in less than 30 minutes. 

I'm giving her TTU & Enzymes. What will the CLO do? I have a friend going in to the HFS today, I could get her to pick some up...

Feeding her super bland foods, too.

I'm just going to  have to break down & tell the well-meaning Papaw's & Gran-gran's to STOP giving them sugar! We're not talking a little sugar, either. It's beyond riduculous...

I wish for a quick fix, but I know what I've got to do... it's just easier doing it for me alone...

Thanks y'all!
Em

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »

I'm giving her TTU & Enzymes. What will the CLO do? I have a friend going in to the HFS today, I could get her to pick some up...

Feeding her super bland foods, too.

I'm just going to  have to break down & tell the well-meaning Papaw's & Gran-gran's to STOP giving them sugar! We're not talking a little sugar, either. It's beyond riduculous...

I wish for a quick fix, but I know what I've got to do... it's just easier doing it for me alone...

Thanks y'all!
Em
CLO helps the immune system to do it's job correctly.  If kids are not getting enough omega 3s (CLO is my favorite above all others), their immune system could go into overdrive once an illness is detected and actually cause them to get worse instead of better.
  My favorite herb book!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »
CLO helps the immune system to do it's job correctly.  If kids are not getting enough omega 3s (CLO is my favorite above all others), their immune system could go into overdrive once an illness is detected and actually cause them to get worse instead of better.

Cod Liver Oil, it is, then! Thanks Ms. HB!  ;)

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »

Cutting out ALL sugar worked wonders for my kids immune systems.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:31:27 AM by healthybratt »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

burlsgirl

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 08:25:58 AM »

Cutting out ALL sugar worked wonders for my kids immune systems.

I believe it! So, were they used to having a good amount of sugar? It's no problem whatsoever for us to cut it out in our home. It's that we've always allowed the grandparents to "treat" them. Well, as they get older they're  spending more & more time with the grands, and that means more sugar...

I guess I need to find/start a thread called: we're cutting out all sugar...now what???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:32:21 AM by healthybratt »

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
We went through a long virus over a year ago - it lasted from early November to the following September. Some of our children really lost weight. We would think that everyone was over it and someone else would wake up in vomiting :P ??? :P
We made two changes and it seemed to help finish off the virus and keep us from getting any more over then last year...
1. We started CLO doses from fall to spring (We are far enough North to get very short days in the winter)
2. As we can not have milk, we switched form rice milk to coconut milk. Coconut has an anti-viral, yeast, parasite and pathogen effect in the gut.

Seemed to help us out....

burlsgirl

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »
They'd seemed better, then we ran out of vit. C and then with 4th of July & three birthdays in a week, I'm pretty sure they O.D.'d on sugar.

Well, they're officially off sugar. Guess I just had to get tired enough. Literally, SO tired from being up all night with vomiting 2 year old! At least the olders can go to the toilet and we don't spend all night changing clothes & bedding!

Anyway, our regimen is:

-continuing mulitvitamin
-Tummy Tune-up
-Enzymes
-Vitamin C
-Cod Liver Oil
-NO SUGAR!

I need to get some garlic in the 2yo, too. May make up some GOOT before bed if I can (literally) scrape up enough coconut oil!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
I had this hanging around in an old email.  It seems like a sensible approach to many tummy troubles:

The Real Cure for Stomach Flu

Jamison Starbuck, ND
University of Montana

"Doctor, this is my third bout this winter! What can I do to get over it for good?" Ken was in obvious distress, holding his belly and rocking back and forth. Ken had "stomach flu" -- a catchall phrase for gastroenteritis, an acute inflammation of the lining of the stomach and intestines characterized by nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea. It is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. He was suffering yet another episode of these acute symptoms after following the advice of his medical doctor. Now he was ready to try a natural approach.

When medical doctors treat gastroenteritis, they recommend bed rest, bland food and lots of fluids. They typically prescribe antibiotics when patients have high fevers. After a few days of symptoms, most people recover -- or so they think. If gastroenteritis is treated conventionally, you may fail to fully recover. Here's why: The organisms that cause the infection also inflame intestinal membranes, and vomiting and diarrhea may have eliminated both the "bad" and "good" bacteria found in the intestines. This is a setup to make you more susceptible to repeat infections.

My naturopathic approach...
Limit your diet. To rest the gastrointestinal tract and speed healing, drink chicken or vegetable broth and eat baked apples and/or pears (the pectin in these fruits soothes the stomach and helps stop the diarrhea) until your symptoms abate. Avoid dehydration by consuming at least 72 ounces of water per day while you have the flu. Also, drink chamomile, peppermint, ginger, black or green tea. These teas have antinausea and antivomiting properties. Make a strong tea using two tea bags per 12 ounces of water. Drink three to six cups daily, preferably on an empty stomach.

Use a mustard poultice. This will relieve nausea and vomiting. What to do: Combine one tablespoon of mustard powder with one cup of flour. Stir in enough water to make a smooth paste. Saturate a piece of cotton cloth about the size of a facecloth with hot water from the faucet, wring it out and spread the paste over the cloth. Place it (paste-side up) over your abdomen. Cover with a dry cotton cloth, and then a hot water bottle or heating pad. Leave the poultice in place for 30 minutes. Apply twice a day.

Take an herbal tincture. Clinical trials confirm that the herbs Oregon grape root and geranium have antimicrobial properties, while slippery elm and licorice reduce inflammation and promote tissue growth in the intestine. Make a mixture of equal parts of these tinctures, which are sold individually at most health-food stores. Take 60 drops of the combined tinctures in two ounces of water, on an empty stomach, four times per day for up to five days.

Try probiotics. Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum replenish "friendly" bacteria in the bowels. Probiotics are available at health-food stores in powder, liquid or capsules. Take 10 billion colony-forming units (CFUs) each of L. acidophilus and B. bifidum in four divided doses daily for the duration of the illness and for three weeks after your symptoms have resolved.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
Boy that's good info!

I've also heard that the virus can be transmitted live through feces for many days after a person "feels better" and seems to be free of symptoms.  So without proper handwashing, as little kids struggle with, or as many poopy diapers create, the virus can pass back and forth and back and forth with great frustration.

I'm going to save the above post as I know it will come in handy sometime!

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »

Well, they're officially off sugar. Guess I just had to get tired enough. Literally, SO tired from being up all night with vomiting 2 year old! At least the olders can go to the toilet and we don't spend all night changing clothes & bedding!

Try to use the same rebuilding measures that you have for the kids on yourself... When our family went through this, I ended up with shingles from the stress of no sleep, nursing baby + not knowing what they really had. Then all my kids got chicken pox from my shingles... talk about adding insult to injury!!! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:35 AM »
WHY, if we are taking good stuff, eating good stuff, and boosting our immune systems, are we getting sick EVERY month?  
maybe some of the ones that are getting ill, used to do it the 'normal' way?  i mean you got antibiotics and vaccinations and meds and stuff to fight the illness.  maybe this didn't allow the immune system to learn how to work?  i do know that the immune system is kinda dumb when you're born.  it has to be exposed to germs (thus the idea behind vaccines) to 'learn' how to make appropriate antibodies to fight the illness that we come across daily.  if it's not given an opportunity to do it's job, then maybe it's still 'dumb' and learning.

my other thought is that the germs aren't just your run-of-the-mill germs anymore.  just look at MRSA.  because of the vaccines and the antibiotics, we as a nation have created several species of super bugs that our immune systems have never seen and they may just be learning to cope with them for the first time after cleaning the bodies and getting healthy and of course getting the immune system up to par and working properly.

i think it will just take some time and even then we might never get past it.  more superbugs every year whether an 'act of God' or 'manmade', but i think if we weren't healthy, then many of us would probably be in the hospital with IVs hanging out of our arms instead of moaning and laying about in our own beds for a few days a year.

the other thought is that WAY back when this thread was started, many of us had only changed what was going in, but hadn't gotten very far in cleaning out the old.  many of us have recently (in the last year or so) discovered bentonite clay, charcoal, de and other such wonderful things and by cleaning out our bodies of the residues of old meds, toxins and heavy metals, we're getting even better and stronger than we were before.

i know that with each step i've taken (SLS, candida, leaky gut, aluminum, ceramics, soy, yellow dye, bht [for freshness  >:( ], and now detox +) i've only gotten healthier and stronger.  i (and the family) still catch the occasional bugs and i've even gotten the respiratory flu once this year but we lived through it without any hospital visits and/or standard medical intervention and because of it, i've managed to miss other rounds that are going through the community.

this is all speculation, but it all makes sense to me.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:12:26 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
Ok here's our story: In October we moved from Colorado to Iowa. We are "temporarily" living with my in-laws until a certain house opens for rent. It was supposed to open in December...but anyway. The problem we are facing is that we seem to be trapped in a never-ending cycle of headcold/flu and stomach bug. We get over one only to go into the other right away and we haven't really had a break since mid November. There are 4 adults and 3 children in one household. I know part of it could be that my husband has a new job working at a factory (again, only temporary until March..) and is bringing a whole host of sickness and disease home, so what would you do about that?? Supplements including FCLO, probiotics, elderberry, ect don't seem to be helping at all. We are DONE with this to say the least... Some thoughts I had were parasites-could that be causing this?Or would an essential oil diffuser help? We have good water, no sugar, drink raw milk, lots of fruits and veggies etc ect ect....oh but on the water thing, we just recently got good water (a reverse osmosis system). It was well water before-just loaded with heavy metals-but my husband and I bought all our water then, only his parents drank it. So would a heavy metal cleanse help? What would you do? Where would you start?? We're open to all suggestions here!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:02:13 AM by IowaDove »

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Since you asked about it, an oil diffuser is a great idea!  Young Living products has an oil blend called 'Thieves' that is a terrific antimicrobial.  It contains ess oils of clove, lemon, cinnamon, rosemary, and eucalyptus; so any or all of those that you can diffuse may help. 
Also, thoroughly clean all surfaces frequently with a mild vinegar solution with a few drops of the above oils.   
For viruses--which is what a cold is--we use several real effective herbs.  Garlic, turmeric, ginger, and onion are one of my favorite combinations and they are wonderful in chicken soup.  Rooibos herb tea has strong antiviral properties and can lessen the effects and shorten a cold; and it's very soothing to sore throats or cough.  Honey also loosens phlegm and heals lungs, it is a natural oxygen, and is tasty when added to hot rooibos tea.   Don't forget vitamin C -- lots of it!  Increase dosage until bowels are loose and then cut back a bit. 
Sounds like you are eating well and that will build your immune systems.  Just remember, too, that moving and living in a temporary situation are stresses to all of you, so that stress has likely made you all more susceptible to everything that goes around.  Do what you can to decrease stress; plenty of sleep, calm read-aloud time, and so on. 
We've moved 4 or 5 times in the past 10 years, so I know what you're going through!
Hope that helps! 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline doug-again

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 05:38:15 AM »
We are DONE with this to say the least... Some thoughts I had were parasites-could that be causing this?
When i read your post, i kept thinking environment, indoors.  Do you have forced air heat?  Replaced the filter? Cleaned the ducts?  Instead of a diffuser, i use an ozonater like this one,
http://www.betterlivingalpineair.com/hepa-air-purifier/prod_4.html   Similar can be found occasionally at thrift stores.  As a man that works in public, i encourage your husband to shower and change clothes when he gets home; and to wash his hands a few times a day at work.  Maybe he does already? It's a good intuition of yours, that he may be bringing home more than bacon.
Is your inlaw's place wall to wall carpet?  When's the last time they were professionally cleaned?  Carpets can accumulate as much as 40 pounds of dirt a year.  Regular vacuuming removes only part of that.  Do you have pets?

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »
Thank you for the responses! I feel like there's hope!  ;) I will look into diffusers and such-is there a thread for that? I know my MIL has lots of Young Living essential oils including Thieves, so that is exciting! We are all big tea drinkers, so I will order some Rooibos.
 I will suggest to my husband to shower when he gets home instead of in the morning-again, what a novel idea! LOL  ;D As for carpeting, yes the downstairs is mostly carpet and was professionally cleaned a week and a half ago. The upstairs is all hardwood flooring. My in laws have pets, but all outside. The house we are in is about 100 years old...not sure if that has anything to do with anything...Again, thank you for all the advice!