Author Topic: KitchenAid vs Bosch Mixer  (Read 36128 times)

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
KitchenAid vs Bosch Mixer
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:38 AM »
I'm looking to buy one of these.  My head is exploding from all the research I did on line.  And yet I'm still lost as to which one to go with.  They are both a lot of money, so I don't want to make any mistakes.

I'm having a big problem with all the reviews I read on amazon.com with the kitchenaid.  There seem to be a lot of problems with it.  I also read reviews on the Bosch mixer, and they are all wonderful, but I also have to take into consideration that there are only 1% of people who have written reviews for Bosch compared to the 95% of people who wrote reviews for kitchenaid.

Some of my concerns with the kitchenaid is that they seem to breakdown A LOT.  Also they are a lot bulkier then the Bosch.  And you can't convert it into a food processor or add a blender to it.  The most expensive one only has 575 watt motor. 

Where is Bosch actually is more compact even though for the lesser price of the kitchenaid you can get a 700 watt motor.  You also have the option of getting the food processor attachment in addition to any other same attachment kitchenaid uses.

I guess while I was writing this I pretty much made my decision :-[ :).  It helps to talk things out, I guess.  I'm still gonna leave this on here just in case someone still has something to share with me.  Or someone else runs into this problem they will have this info on here to reference to.

Here is a link to a site that does a much better comparison than I did above:  http://www.everythingkitchens.com/boschvskitchenaid.html

Thanx for reading through my blabbing, and sharing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:31:05 AM by momto3girls »

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
Re: KitchenAid vs Bosch Mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
momto3girls, 

I had a kitchenaid and I bought a Bosch last fall.  I absolutely LOVE it so much better than my kitchenaid!  I also got the meat grinder attachment as I already have a food processor.  From everyone that knows someone who has a Bosch there is never a complaint and the new one that came out just a few months ago is even better than the one I have.  I know there is a gal on here that her and her husband sell them.  Check out the home based business thread.  Let me know if you have any questions.   ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
Just adding my experiences here... we have a professional, heavy duty Kitchen Aid mixer.  We purchased it at Costco for around $280.  The KA Artisan (the most common one) usually sells for more than that.  I've experienced many problems with the Artisan and none of those with the HD Professional.  For example, the artisan has the same power as my hand mixer - what's the point really???  My HD has 450 or 475 watts of power.  I can easily mix up 11 C of flour with mine but with the artisan it starts with a burning smell at a double dose of chocolate chip cookies.  Hope this helps in your decision making.    My neighbor also has the same one as I do, purchased from Sams Club, and she loves it too.  She makes cakes professionally and is so thankful to have hers!

Offline KADETMmom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
fwiw, we have a KitchenAid Heavy Duty (K5SS) that has served us well for 15+ years.  It *did* start to complain when I was trying to make a lot of whole grain bread with it ~10 years ago, so I went back to the bread machine, etc. 

A few years ago (2005) our oldest DD invested in an Electrolux Assistent (which is another reason she can never leave home!).  I love it!  (I picked it instead of a Bosch)  I know Bosch-owners love their Bosches, but if you can afford to consider the Electrolux, please do.  We purchased from Pleasant Hill Grain in Nebraska.  It paid for itself in less than a year of baking/selling bread.
"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God..."  Psalm 40

Offline ktalbott

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
I grew up using a KitchenAid and when we got married my husband wanted to be a Bosch "family" so that is what I use now.

I think KitchenAids are great if you get the heavy duty ones.  I do like Bosches better for most things, especially the blender attaching to the same base (I have the Concept 7 and love the newer design - saves on my kitchen space).

The one thing KitchenAids do better than Bosches is whipping with the wire whip.  My Bosch doesn't seem to scrap the sides as well as my mom's KitchAid.

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »
I've had a KitchenAid since I got married in 2003 and have thought it was great until this past year when I started making my own bread.  I bought the grain mill attachment and was quite pleased that i could do everything with my one machine, until about a month ago,  I had it mixing bread dough and I went to go do a load of laundry and came back and it wasn't moving anymore.  Apparently, I have stripped a gear, although I haven't gotten around to taking it in to get it repaired.  Besides, it might be a good thing, because in the mean time, I have decided, from watching the Everything Kitchens comparison online, I would like to get a Bosch.  Now, if only I could decide on a grain mill.........

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
FWIW, I seriously, seriously, seriously love my Bosch.  It is one of the very few appliances in our house which receives permanent counter space. I scrimped and saved for ages to get it, and it has proven worthwhile many times already.  I always thought I'd have a Kitchen Aid (and was intending to buy one), but I can't imagine switching from my Bosch.  Good luck!

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
hi this is my first post here, but I feel like I can actually contribute to the conversation this time. ;D  I had a kitchenaid, I think it was the 600 series, anyway it was the professional one, top of the line, last year when I finally got rid of it for good. :P  I had wanted one for a long time because my grandma had one for over 20 years and it was a great mixer, well when I got mine, I ended up returning it 4 times in 18 months because it kept breaking down, I am assuming I striped the gears inside.  The really good thing about the kitchenaid company is that each time I had to return it they sent me a brand new one, even the last time when I was past my 1 year warranty.  They explained to me that due to regulations on mixers in the last several years they have to build the mixers with parts that will strip out if someone gets their hand stuck in it, and that is why my mixers kept breaking down and also the reason they have such a good return policy. By the way my grandma's mixer is still working, they used quality parts back then.   After getting rid of my last kitchenaid I bought a Bosch mixer and have had it for probably getting close to a year and have not had a single problem with it,  I use it every week to knead at least a 4 loaf recipe of bread,  I will say it doesn't do cookie dough as well as the kitchenaid, I have to scrape the bowl several times, but I also do not have the cookie paddle attachment either.  One thing I will say about the Bosch, my friend just got one of the new styles Bosch's and had to return one one the attachments because it broke the first time she used it,  it was made of plastic, on my older version the same part is made of metal.   :-\
Jessica

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:34:17 AM »
  Of course I have to put in a good word for my faithful Kitchen Aid ;D my brother found a place that you can get these refurbished, used kitchen Aid mixers for a good price. I think we paid 250$ for it and it's a 525 Watt Professional model. I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!
   I have been mixing three loaves of whole wheat bread, most weeks, for YEARS. No problem, and it was even bought used.
  I also use it for whipping up huge mounds of mashed potaotes for a crowd, no problem.Did I mention that I really like it?  ;D I think the bowl holds about 6 quarts. I has a permanent place in the corner of my counter top and I wouldn't trade it for a bosch.
   I think you'll get what you pay for. If you buy an expensive kitchen aid, I think  you will be pleased with it.

Offline lovetospin

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:25:11 AM »
I love love love my Bosch. It is an older model. I bought it used with several attachments for $40.  ;D

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 07:20:38 AM »
Questions, all you Bosch-lovers!  I am considering getting this (or saving up to get it!), but we have some questions.  1)  There are only 4 people in our family, 3 next year when ds goes to college.  Does this machine work as well with smaller amounts, such as 1 batch of cookie dough or 2 loaves fresh-ground whole wheat bread?  I sometimes make large amounts, but I want to make sure that it works properly even with smaller amounts.  2)  How well does the blender work?  I have a typical Osterizer blender with a glass jar; does this one grind ice well?  3)  Anyone hear of any drawbacks with the newer, more-powerful model?

This sounds like something worth saving up for, but $379 is no small amount!  I want to make sure that it is worthwhile for smaller families.  I considered the compact model, but it says it is only good for 1 w/w loaf at a time - I usually mix up at least 2 loaves' worth at a time.  Thanks in advance!  Any and all comments either way are welcome!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 07:37:10 AM »
I love my Bosch!!!   Have used it for over 20 years.  The blender works well.  I have ground ice in it but I don't do it real often so I don't know how well it would hold up compared to the one you have.   
I have the model with the stainless steel bowl that has the hook in the bottom as opposed to the center cone thingie.   :)    It does do 2 loaves but I sometimes think it doesn't perform as well with smaller batches.  That said, I figure as long as I am making bread why not just do at least 4 loaves and freeze the extra for later.   We are a family of 7 down to 5 now that my ds's are away from home.  Needless to say we don't go through as much bread as we used to.    :( 
I haven't checked into what is available for a long time so don't really know what the compact machine is like.   
HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
Thanks!  That does help!  Maybe I'll have to make bigger batches and freeze the dough (do you do that before you rise it?)  Anyways, how is it for mixing cookies, cakes, etc.?  Appreciate your help!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »
Some of the other gals with Bosch machines might have different recommendations but when I had the basic Bosch with the plastic bowl and center cone thingie, I did have the whisk so I could make cookies and cakes.   It worked well but I never liked the greasy feel of the bowl, it seems you can never get it clean from the oils you use in bread etc.  I don't have the whisk for my stainless steel bowl so I just use a hand mixer for cookies and cake.   Works for me.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:09 AM »

A few years ago (2005) our oldest DD invested in an Electrolux Assistent (which is another reason she can never leave home!).  I love it!  (I picked it instead of a Bosch)  I know Bosch-owners love their Bosches, but if you can afford to consider the Electrolux, please do.  We purchased from Pleasant Hill Grain in Nebraska.  It paid for itself in less than a year of baking/selling bread.

Have you bought/used any of the attachments (grainmilling, food processor, blender) for this machine?

Also I am wondering about the Bosch as well.  How does the blender in compare to high power blenders like the vitamix?

Do you all use the food processor parts for these machines?  I do home canning and I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to eventually get the whole shebang. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »

Have you bought/used any of the attachments (grainmilling, food processor, blender) for this machine?

Also I am wondering about the Bosch as well.  How does the blender in compare to high power blenders like the vitamix?

Do you all use the food processor parts for these machines?  I do home canning and I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to eventually get the whole shebang. 

bump

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »
I have to agree with KADETmom, I would go with the Electrolux. I have had mine for 2 years, heavy duty, all the attachments you could ever need, and worth every penny. I found mine on ebay, but I have gotten attachments from Pleasant Hill Grains. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 04:49:19 PM »
Has anyone ever used the Hamilton Beach electrics for kneading the dough for bread? Trying to find something that will work and also fit in the budget.

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:41 AM »
Personally, I think it is more a matter of power more than anything else.  My kitchenaid (375) couldn't handle all the work of mixing the amount of dough that I wanted it to, and I stripped a gear - it's not made for heavy duty stuff.  However, my Bosch (800) mixes it up no problem without a hesitation.  You need to look at the amount of power (I think it is measured in watts) to see how it will do.  I read reviews on the best Kitchenaid out there (575, I think) and the motor was still burning up when put to the test with mixing bread several times.  It's just not what it was made for (and I am assuming that's what a Hamilton Beach would be like, too).  An electrolux or Bosch is made for heavy-duty stuff.  Just my .02

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
thanks.  so I need to look upwards of 600 watts?

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
thanks.  so I need to look upwards of 600 watts?

That sounds like a good plan to me...it's what I would do

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
I thought I would share my experience here, regarding a mixer for bread.

I have a kitchen aide and it has worked fine but I wanted to be able to have more "freedom" while my bread was mixing.  (most mixers will "walk off" the counter while kneading).

I went to my local thrift store and bought a bread maker for $5.  It is fully functional but I don't like bread cooked in ABMs. 

I just use it to mix my bread and do the first rise.  Then I take the dough out, shape it and finish it all up in bread pans in the oven.

It is a win-win-win situation for me: I get the power and automation of a bread machine, it cost me practically nothing compared to a Bosch, I still get the end product of oven-baked bread.

One day, I will probably get a Bosch so I can make more loaves at once but until then, a $5 bread machine is a solution that will fit my budget and would probably fit other folk's, too!

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
I thought I would share my experience here, regarding a mixer for bread.

I have a kitchen aide and it has worked fine but I wanted to be able to have more "freedom" while my bread was mixing.  (most mixers will "walk off" the counter while kneading).

I went to my local thrift store and bought a bread maker for $5.  It is fully functional but I don't like bread cooked in ABMs. 

I just use it to mix my bread and do the first rise.  Then I take the dough out, shape it and finish it all up in bread pans in the oven.

It is a win-win-win situation for me: I get the power and automation of a bread machine, it cost me practically nothing compared to a Bosch, I still get the end product of oven-baked bread.

One day, I will probably get a Bosch so I can make more loaves at once but until then, a $5 bread machine is a solution that will fit my budget and would probably fit other folk's, too!

great idea!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
I usually knead by hand because I like to but when I'm short on time I use my kitchen aid.  I solve the walking problem by putting my kitchen aid in my sink so it can't go anywhere.

Offline tonysgirl

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
I had KitchenAid experience before I got my Bosch for a wedding gift 9 yrs. ago. I love it! It can handle 14- 15 c. flour. I make ww bread in it (kneading) twice a week. My littles (8,6, and 4) can use it no problem. It did little batches when we were first married, no problem.
Someone asked about the blender- yes, they are powerful! I don't know how it would compare to a Vitamix. They grind ice like nothing, they even grind the HEAVY lid insert to little pieces, quickly. (Don't ask me how I know!!) I use my dough hook for alot, I don't use the spinners for starting cookie batches or anything. They get bent kind of easy- and I don't want to wash any more dishes than I have to!!
Bosch is worth the money, the Electrolux sounds interesting. Never heard of it. Are you sure you're not confused with your vaccuum?!!  ;D

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »
I got my Bosch 3 yrs ago.  I love it for bread making.  Don't love it for cookie or cake making.  It does come with the whips, but I don't like that it doesn't mix the cookie dough really well.  I wish it didn't have the cone in the middle.  My son dropped and broke the plastic bowl almost from day 1 (crack on the top) but I have used it with no problems ever since.  The blender is awesome!  Sometimes it gets bogged down with heavy stuff that you would normally have to do in a food processor, but if you're patient and scrape down, etc. it gets the job done.  I grind flax seeds, oatmeal, dry bread etc. in the blender.  When I first got it, the blender motor broke very quickly.  They sent me a new one (2 I think) and it's worked ever since.  Be sure not to put the plastic blender bowl in the dishwasher and remove the blade from it for washing and store separately.  I learned the hard way that it sticks to the bowl and is almost impossible to get off!  The whisks work great to shred cooked chicken!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 08:21:53 AM »
My MIL just gave me her old Kitchen-Aid Pro.  It's the one that doesn't have the tilt head but the bowl goes up and down like this:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=ModelNumberLookup&productId=1832

I am in love with this machine.  It has lots of attachments and it takes the place of LOTS of stuff in my kitchen.  No longer do I need a bread machine, hand mixer, food processor, can opener, meat grinder, etc.  It's beautiful.  And it's quiet.  And it's fast.  And I love the splatter guard.  My BFF has the Bosch and I like it just as well; it's a wonderful machine.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:01 AM »
I got my Bosch 3 yrs ago.  I love it for bread making.  Don't love it for cookie or cake making.  It does come with the whips, but I don't like that it doesn't mix the cookie dough really well.  I wish it didn't have the cone in the middle.  My son dropped and broke the plastic bowl almost from day 1 (crack on the top) but I have used it with no problems ever since.  The blender is awesome!  Sometimes it gets bogged down with heavy stuff that you would normally have to do in a food processor, but if you're patient and scrape down, etc. it gets the job done.  I grind flax seeds, oatmeal, dry bread etc. in the blender.  When I first got it, the blender motor broke very quickly.  They sent me a new one (2 I think) and it's worked ever since.  Be sure not to put the plastic blender bowl in the dishwasher and remove the blade from it for washing and store separately.  I learned the hard way that it sticks to the bowl and is almost impossible to get off!  The whisks work great to shred cooked chicken!

Okay!   >:(  I am very mad.  Has anyone else used their Bosch blender to make Sue Gregg's blender pancakes (ie from whole grain)?  I have made that in the past without problems, but now tried to make it with kefir, instead of buttermilk.  The kefir was thicker than milk, but not like yogurt.  Probably about the same consistency as buttermilk.  I left it run for the 3 minutes and exactly at 3 minutes, the motor burned up!  I have an extra motor, but it looks as if there's another plastic part that started to melt too, that I don't have an extra of.  I will have to have my DH look at it.  But this is the 2nd time in 3 years that it's burned up or broken.  Anyone else have problems with the blender?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
Has anyone ever hear of the COOKS brand or wolf gang puck (sp?) brand mixers?  I have found then in 575, 600, 675 watts and they seem to be a lot cheaper than the bosch and even some kitchenAids. 

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
For those of you who have the electrolux brand and use it for bread dough what watts do you recommend?  I was looking at one that is 450 watts and by the description it should be awesome, but several with other brands have recommended a higher power.  Just wondering if power within different brands can make a difference?