Author Topic: Adavan/Ativan: Alternatives???  (Read 9666 times)

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
Adavan/Ativan: Alternatives???
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:23:52 AM »
Hi,

Are there any natural/herbal alternatives to Ativan/Adavan?  I haven't been prescribed that, but someone with my "symptoms" was.  I am having issues with MAJOR emotional swings, almost like my hormones are trying to come back after having two kids in two years.  Any thoughts?  Need more info?

Rebekah

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Adavan/Ativan: Alternatives???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
If I remember correctly Adavan is an anti-anxiety med much like Xanex.  If you want something to sooth rattled nerves, I would try some catnip tea.  My favorite fix-all tea is 1 part catnip, 1 part peppermint, and 1 part red rasp leaf.  This covers all your bases.  It helps with nerves, anxiety, sleeplessness, body aches, headaches and can help balance your hormones as well without zonking you out like the heavier meds will often do.  I've been prescribed Xanex in the past for sleeplessness and anxiety and haven't had to take them in a very long time. 

If the need to sleep isn't cured by the above remedy or if my nerves are frazzled beyond repair, valerian root is very similar to Xanex (and probably also Adavan) in it's properties and much stronger than catnip.  It doesn't taste as good, but I usually mix this with peppermint and honey to make it more palatable.

You might also consider looking into more long lasting remedies to balance your hormones or moods by looking into things that will heal rather than treat the symptoms.  Here are a number of threads on this topic.

Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders
Depression
Panic Attacks (Stress & Anxiety): Causes & Cures
Anger and Nutrition
When Bread Consumption (Gluten) Causes Neurologic Disease

Estrogen Dominance & Other Hormone Imbances: Causes & Cures
Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS)
Progesterone Cream: How, Why & When to Use
Wild Yam Root and hormones?
Homemade wild Yam Cream
What kind of progesterone supplement should I take?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
Awesome answer HB!

While you are researching and trying some other things out, Bach's Rescue Remedy may be of help.  It's definitely not a permenant solution, but it may get you through especially hard times.

http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

Most natural food / health stores carry it.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »
I would consider what the cause of this issue is for you...  Is this an adrenal issue or what could be the possible causes for you to be feeling this way? It sounds like you have alot going on right now in your life; I would think about things that you could do to help ease your stress...
If possible you might want to use a green tea formula rounded out with herbs  like BHS's Stress Buster tea... I make a blend similar to this but I also add licorice root.  This aids in stimulating adrenal function...
Also the BHS sleep tight tea with passion flower, catnip, chamomile, and lemon balm.  This helps take the edge off and help you get some rest at night...
The passion flower IMO has effect similar, but is not as strong as Ativan and Xanax.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
I successfully used Valerian Root capsules instead of Ativan when I struggled with anxiety.  But I agree that you should consider the underlying cause.

I suggest the Valerian capsules because the herb actually smells HORRIBLE.  If you prefer a tea alternative, I also consumed Tension Tamer Tea by Celestial Seasonings and it helps, too.  (Available at most major supermarkets)
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
I successfully used Valerian Root capsules instead of Ativan when I struggled with anxiety.  But I agree that you should consider the underlying cause.

I suggest the Valerian capsules because the herb actually smells HORRIBLE.  If you prefer a tea alternative, I also consumed Tension Tamer Tea by Celestial Seasonings and it helps, too.  (Available at most major supermarkets)
Ditto the valerian... I also like Yogi Tea's sleep/bedtime formula
These are sleep formulas, but Xanax and Ativan also function in this manner.. the are often used for sedation in hospital settings.