Author Topic: How do I safely clean up after a bat infestation?  (Read 3622 times)

Offline kcb

• Adept
How do I safely clean up after a bat infestation?
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »
We had about 20 bats in our attic.  My dh blocked up some holes, and we are hopeful about keeping the bats out.  However, they left quite a mess behind . . . I've heard that bat droppings are a health hazard because of the mold that gets into it.  Does anyone know how to clean the stuff up without getting sick or spreading mold spores throughout the house?  We contacted a professional, but that option is very expensive -- several thousand dollars.

Offline barngirl

• Adept
    • Feminine Farmgirl
Check out my blog! www.femininefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Our Family Farm blog! www.reganfamfarm.blogspot.com
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
                  Philippians 4:13

Offline kcb

• Adept
Re: How do I safely clean up after a bat infestation?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Thanks!  Is this something we can learn about and do ourselves, or do we have to get a pro?  Have you had this problem, Barngirl?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Check the info on this thread:

Mold and Mildew

I think bacteria in the droppings could be an issue as well. Saturating the mess down with the tea tree mixture mentioned in the mold thread & letting it soak in before cleaning it up should help since tea tree is antibacterial & antifungal. (mold killing) The recipe I posted makes a concentrate that you mix with water to use. I posted that I use 3 tablespoons of the concentrate to a quart of water to make a spray. You might want to use more than 3 tablespoons to make it stronger than I stated in the post. The stronger you mix it, the quicker the mixture will separate- be sure to shake OFTEN to remix.

If after the tea tree mixture soaks in it's too wet to clean up easily, dumping plain salt on it will soak up moisture & salt is also antibacterial & antifungal. I know that dumping salt on an egg that has fallen on the floor is the easiest way to clean it up. Then instead of chasing slimy egg all over you can just scoop it up with a dust pan. 

Keep in mind that I have never cleaned up after bats nor do I know anybody that has. I'm thinking (typing) out loud here. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:26 AM »
In our last house, we had 50+ bats in the soffets.  It was sick!  At night we could see them swarming our house.  We paid a professional to seal up the holes an that got rid of them.  We only had a couple actually make it into the attic so I never saw much droppings. 

Basically what we did was sell our house.   ;D  The guy we sold it to was well aware that we had a bat problem that was just resolved and that most likely they will come back, but he wanted our hosue bad.  Good for us.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »
Thanks so much for your posts!!  I did read the posts about mold, herbalmom.  And the bit about salt sounds extremely helpful.  I think we may try to do this ourselves . . .

Has anyone else dealt with bats?  Please post!  I'd like to hear failure stories as well as successes.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »
I hope you will be careful to protect your lungs with a respirator.  You sure don't want any mold or bacteria from the droppings in your lungs.   :P

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
Yes, we plan to use one of those hefty respirators (the kind that looks like a bug).  And we understand to cover all skin and throw away the clothes afterwards.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
bump

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 08:42:10 AM »
bump