Author Topic: Eclampsia & Preeclampsia: Symptoms and Preventitave Cures  (Read 119923 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
Eclampsia & Preeclampsia: Symptoms and Preventitave Cures
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:45:51 AM »
 Does anyone have any info on preeclampsia help or hinders? I have a friend who just delivered @ 29 wks and is petrified to try again. I don't have much info as I'm not good at research.
My midwife said it is a lack of protein. they recommend 60-80 grams a day.  I think that I am remembering that correctly.  I had severe toxemia with my first and I had a dr. that didn't tell me ANYTHING and I was clueless and didn't know I should study and search for  myself.   :(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:07 AM by healthybratt »

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Eclampsia & Preeclampsia: Symptoms and Preventitave Cures
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:51:41 AM »
And water- a gallon a day, plus the protien Pennie mentioned. Mamasboys said her midwife recomended eating protien every 2 hours. And cut back on the refined sugars and carbs. Sorry that's not documented. It is the verbal advise of midwives I have spoken with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:17 AM by healthybratt »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:55:20 AM »
From prescription of natural healing:

Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure, edema, and an excess of protein in the urine.  The cause is not known, but if you suffered from it once, you are more likely to get it again.  It was once thought that eclampsia and preeclampsia were a result of toxemia- the presence of some sort of toxin or poison in the bloodstream-but it is now known that this is not the case.  If you develop any of the symptoms of preeclamsia, you must be monitored constantly by your health care provider.

Supplements:
Essential Fatty Acids(as directed by your physician)  black current seed oil, flax oil, olive oil, or primrose oil.
Garlic
Vitamin E

Get adequate rest.  and inform doctor of any other symptoms to avoid seizures or coma.
Since the cause is not known, there is no specific treatment for this except for delivery of baby.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:26 AM by healthybratt »

Offline MissusLeata

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:02:55 AM »
I'm reading a book called the New Dawn, by Ian Stokes, that connects pre-eclampsia to chronic inflammation caused by food sensitivies.

What I've always heard before is the protein connection. There is something called the "Brewer Diet" that is supposed to really help prevent pre-eclampsia.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:36 AM by healthybratt »

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:05:45 AM »
My SIL's midwife suggested that preeclampsia may be the result of an underlying liver problem.  Anyone heard this before? 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:46 AM by healthybratt »
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:20:31 AM »
thanks gals!-I know there is a protein link to preeclampsia- as in eat more,  so i unfaithfully followed the brewers diet in my second pregnancy and also exercised to help keep my blood pressure down longer but i eventually went into preeclamptic stages anyway.-mary
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:42:55 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:40 AM »
I only got it the first of my five pregnancies.  Only the last two were somewhat more healthy.  I did have a different doctor for the last four though than the first.  And the last was with a midwife with my doctor as the backup for emergencies b/c he just happened to be the midwives backup and works very closely with them. I thought that was pretty neat.  :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:43:05 AM by healthybratt »

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »
I just heard about some friends of ours from a few years ago.  They just had their sixth baby and the mother is doing very poorly.  She was in the hospital for several weeks because of pre-eclampsia.  They finally induced at 35 weeks and have a healthy baby girl.  The mother is still really sick though with liver damage and really high blood pressure.  Is there anything that can be done to reverse the liver damage?  I thought of milk thistle, but I don't know if will work.  She is still in the hospital at this point.  I've tried doing some web research but couldn't find much on natural treatments for this.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Thanks!!!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
I'm reading a book called the New Dawn, by Ian Stokes, that connects pre-eclampsia to chronic inflammation caused by food sensitivies.

What I've always heard before is the protein connection. There is something called the "Brewer Diet" that is supposed to really help prevent pre-eclampsia.

Dr. Brewer's book is: What every pregnant woman should know : the truth about diet and drugs in pregnancy / Gail Sforza Brewer with Tom Brewer. I got it from the library years ago & it's a very good book. Dr. Brewer has studied this extensively & explains it well. The short version is high protein & don't restrict salt but there is more to it than that & pregnant women should really check this book out. HTH

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 03:21:40 AM »
Hi, all!   :)

I had pre-ecalampsia w/ my 1st child...ended up w/ a C/S b/c the induction didn't take (twice).  Pre-eclampsia used to be called toxemia, and surely that's what I was--toxic from my processed/fast foods as a clueless newlywed.   ::) For my 2nd, I exercised and ate less processed food...lots of water and protein (I swear that's key too, from all I read).  Had a VBAC w/ a midwife in hospital.  3rd baby; not really exercised but ate healthy and had a 10 pounder at home!

Being toxic would mean that the liver is stressed, so it would make sense to do milk thistle.  But as to the risks of that while PG.   ???

I think Epsom Salt baths clear out stuff safely...and I think pre-eclampsia will repeat if the eating patterns aren't changed. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:52:37 AM by YooperMama »

burlsgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 04:45:04 AM »
Hi! I just wanted to weigh in on this... I had severe preeclampsia/eclampsia with my first pregnancy, beginning with a 14 lb. weight gain in less than a week and ending with seizures and a delivery at 36 weeks.  During this pregnancy, I ate more protien than with any of my others! I had come out of a "low carb" way of eating, and I was still "afraid" of refined carbs!

With my second pregnancy, I walked at least 4 days a week (Leslie Sansone), but my diet was just standard American... I did have some elevated pressures on/off at the end but no other symptoms, delivered at 37 weeks. Another healthy baby girl.

My third pregnancy had no symptoms, didn't walk, ate horribly...38 weeks...healthy baby girl.

I'm now 11 wks along with #4. Basically what we learned is this: Say you had it with your first baby, then you are less likely to have it with your second (and less every subsequent pregnancy), but you are MORE likely to have it than another woman who has never had it before. Make sense?  Also, most doctors and midwives will monitor way more closely a woman with a previous history.

HTH,
Emily

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:08 AM »
Hi! I just wanted to weigh in on this... I had severe preeclampsia/eclampsia with my first pregnancy, beginning with a 14 lb. weight gain in less than a week and ending with seizures and a delivery at 36 weeks.  During this pregnancy, I ate more protien than with any of my others! I had come out of a "low carb" way of eating, and I was still "afraid" of refined carbs!

With my second pregnancy, I walked at least 4 days a week (Leslie Sansone), but my diet was just standard American... I did have some elevated pressures on/off at the end but no other symptoms, delivered at 37 weeks. Another healthy baby girl.

My third pregnancy had no symptoms, didn't walk, ate horribly...38 weeks...healthy baby girl.

I'm now 11 wks along with #4. Basically what we learned is this: Say you had it with your first baby, then you are less likely to have it with your second (and less every subsequent pregnancy), but you are MORE likely to have it than another woman who has never had it before. Make sense?  Also, most doctors and midwives will monitor way more closely a woman with a previous history.

HTH,
Emily
I had symptoms with 1 # 2, but not with #3.  I thought this was a ridiculous and vague explanation, but my doctor said it's more common in younger women.  The older you get, the less likely you are to have the problem.  I didn't have anything else to go on, so I accepted it for what it was.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 06:23:02 AM »
... I'm now 11 wks along with #4. Basically what we learned is this: Say you had it with your first baby, then you are less likely to have it with your second (and less every subsequent pregnancy), but you are MORE likely to have it than another woman who has never had it before. Make sense?  Also, most doctors and midwives will monitor way more closely a woman with a previous history.

HTH,
Emily
I had symptoms with 1 # 2, but not with #3.  I thought this was a ridiculous and vague explanation, but my doctor said it's more common in younger women.  The older you get, the less likely you are to have the problem.  I didn't have anything else to go on, so I accepted it for what it was.
My 1st pregnancy I was 19 and ate junk.  No problems with pre-eclampsia.  2nd pregnancy I was 32 and ate much better.  I developed pre-eclampsia and was induced 2 1/2 weeks early.  Either there are sooooo many different combinations of circumstances that lead to pre-eclampsia OR doctors just don't know much about it.  Or maybe both!? We just hear so many different explanations.  :-\ 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 07:05:36 AM »

Dr. Brewer's book is: What every pregnant woman should know : the truth about diet and drugs in pregnancy / Gail Sforza Brewer with Tom Brewer. I got it from the library years ago & it's a very good book. Dr. Brewer has studied this extensively & explains it well. The short version is high protein & don't restrict salt but there is more to it than that & pregnant women should really check this book out. HTH

Here is the website for Dr. Brewers diet: The Blue Ribbon Baby Pages

You'll find everything you need to implement his diet on that website and info/research on why you should. He claimed that in the 12 years he used this diet with his patients he found that none of the ladies that strictly followed it developed Preeclampsia/Eclampsia/Toxemia.

There are a lot of midwives and some midwife organizations who recommend it. The Bradley Method uses Dr. Brewer's diet too http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx And there are a lot of similarities between this and the recommended diet for pregnant women on the WAPF website: Diet for Pregnant and Nursing Mothers

And here's an article on it by a Dr. James Howenstine: SOLVED! THE RIDDLE OF ECLAMPSIA AND BIRTH DEFECTS IN NEWBORNS

WR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:04:04 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
I just heard about some friends of ours from a few years ago.  They just had their sixth baby and the mother is doing very poorly.  She was in the hospital for several weeks because of pre-eclampsia.  They finally induced at 35 weeks and have a healthy baby girl.  The mother is still really sick though with liver damage and really high blood pressure.  Is there anything that can be done to reverse the liver damage?  I thought of milk thistle, but I don't know if will work.  She is still in the hospital at this point.  I've tried doing some web research but couldn't find much on natural treatments for this.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.  Thanks!!!!!
[/color]

Thanks for all of the input. I'm really looking to find out what can be done after the pregnancy and birth to help with all of the problems caused by eclampsia.  Maybe this should be in a different thread??? I just couldn't find anything.

Offline Shaundra

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
Hello!(Im usually just a reader, not a poster :))
I am 12 weeks pregnant and this morning at my drs appt. I had very high b.p.
I usually have high b.p. late in pregnancy, but this early is a first for me. Can you give me any advice on lowering it naturally? My dr. wants to check me again in 2wks. He mentioned b.p. meds and I said I didnt want to take them. I would like to do it with diet, exercise, herbs, etc. I am overweight, so I know this probably has something to do woth it. I am new to herbs and dont know which ones are safe during pregnancy. Is there a list somewhere? Ok, so thats 2 questions! How do I lower my b.p. and what herbs are safe during pregnancy? Thanks in advance!
~Shaundra
happy helpmeet and
mommy to 3 crazy boys
and 2 beautiful girls!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
Um, not exactly what you were asking for but it may help... http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/pih.shtml
Be sure to take a look around the site and read about the "diet".
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Shaundra

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 07:10:22 AM »
(bump) My appt. is tommorrow. Any more advice?
~Shaundra
happy helpmeet and
mommy to 3 crazy boys
and 2 beautiful girls!

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
Hi there Shaundra,
Go get some celery and watermelon! TONIGHT!!! It'll help!

The Brewer's Diet is definitely a must have, great guide to having a healthier pregnancy, delivery, and baby.
I had severe eclampsia with absolutely NO symptoms until the day that brought our Emily at 32 weeks premature via emergency c-section. I was 17, but ate excellent with plenty of protein and very small amounts of sugar and 'bad' carbs. We have eaten whole foods our entire marriage. I had not had any high blood pressure or any other problems for that matter.
Emily's birth story:
Memorial Day weekend 1999, my hubby and I traveled from Washington DC to Charleston, SC for my little sister's 9th birthday. The temperature was in the upper 90's and my parents early Victorian home had no ac. I was a little swollen, but only a 1 or 2 on the edema scale. We thought nothing of it. The next Friday, I woke up a little queasy. As the day went on my head was throbbing so I checked my urine. Maybe a little protein, but only a trace of the first bar, not totally even up to the first bar from the none bar. That afternoon at the library I was feeling a little dizzy and then my eye sight was messing up. I know now that these are symptoms, but didn't then. I went home and cooked dinner, our favorite Peppersteak, a meal my husband will never eat again. I didn't eat, I felt very fluish. I went to bed at around 5o'clock. Woke up with diarrhea and vomiting three or four times. Felt better. My hubby went a mile down the road to his bosses house around 7. He called every so often to check on me. I felt better. At 8:30 he called to check on me and say he'd be home in half an hour. I called him back 5 minutes or so later, I all of a sudden felt horrible. There was no answer. I feel asleep. At 9 hubby came home and knew something wasn't right...he found having seizures in bed and unconscious. He cried out to the Lord and called 911. At 12:39 am I had our precious Emily, she was 8 weeks early. 3 lbs. 10 ozs. Healthy and perfect, just early. I suffered a stroke before they delvered her. The doctors said that I would never completely recover and that I should never have another child. The Lord gave my husband Psalm 128 when we were engaged and he stood in those versed that I would be restored to a fruitful vine and that we would have more children. The Lord healed me and I was home in 13 days rather than the 6-12 months the doctors said. And Emily was home in 21 days, when she had made it to 4 lbs.
We have gone on to have 3 natural births, one hospital, the next at homewith a midwife, and the last one, well the midwife didn't make it! God is marvelous and oh so faithful!!!
All of that said, I have done tons of research and there are lots of precautions, but no one totally agrees on the matter.
Eat good- plenty of protein, exercise, lots of water, good vitamins, and plenty of rest, but most importantly---PRAY!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline Shaundra

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 06:56:39 AM »
Well, I just got back from my dr. appt. and, although I lost 3 lbs. by drinking TONS of water and eating healthier the past 2 weeks, my b.p. was still quite high. He gave me a prescription for meds. and really tried to scare me into taking them. I dont know girls. I dont even like to take Tylenol, but I am scared enough now to consider it. Hubby is okay with whatever I decide. My doctor said if I dont take the meds. I could loose the baby. I need wise counsel.
~Shaundra
happy helpmeet and
mommy to 3 crazy boys
and 2 beautiful girls!

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »
Do you remember what your blood pressure was?  Or at least the general ballpark?

I did a little reading, and here's what I discovered.  If your BP is only mildly elevated, your risk for developing pre-eclampsia or other complications is only mildly elevated.  However, if your BP is very elevated, you are at significantly increased risk of developing complications like pre-eclampsia, intra-uterine growth retardation, placental abruption, preterm birth, and stillbirth. 

Since you say that you usually develop high BP late in pregnancy anyway, I would assume that you would be at even higher risk of developing pre-eclampsia. 

My take:  I would continue to do all the natural things I could to help lower my BP.  And if they all start to work really well, then great!  But the bottom line is, your choices are to take a pill every day, or risk several serious complications (small as that risk may be).  I, personally, would take the meds.  The world of prematurity is not one I ever want to visit again.

Sarah

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 01:21:45 AM »
Well, I just got back from my dr. appt. and, although I lost 3 lbs. by drinking TONS of water and eating healthier the past 2 weeks, my b.p. was still quite high. He gave me a prescription for meds. and really tried to scare me into taking them. I dont know girls. I dont even like to take Tylenol, but I am scared enough now to consider it. Hubby is okay with whatever I decide. My doctor said if I dont take the meds. I could loose the baby. I need wise counsel.

If you are not having problems that make the dr. feel that you could lose the baby soon, I would definitely try to get your blood pressure down naturally.

I had major problems with dizziness to the point of passing out in my first & second pregnancies.  In my first pg the dr prescribed medication that my gut feeling told me not to take, so I did not.  I just lived with it, which was very complicated because I graduated from nursing school 3 weeks before my dd was born.  I had a different dr. with my second pg & told him about this.  He said that he sure hoped that the dr hadn't prescribed ______ & that was exactly what he had.  After further research, it would not have been a good thing to take.  Thank the Lord for that gut feeling!  I was not at all health conscious at the time except for being a nursing student, which probably would have made me more likely to take something not less.  Sometimes it is best to go with that gut feeling, but lots of research helps too.

I don't know how high your BP is & how severe the problem is.   You definitely don't want to do anything that will endanger your life or the life of your precious baby.  I don't know if I helped at all, but I am praying for you right now that the Lord will help you to make the best decision for you & your baby.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Shaundra

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 05:34:32 AM »
Thank you for praying for me. I have made the decision to take the meds. My b.p. was very high. I looked up the med. online and found it to be very mild. My dr. also gave me a pretty low dose. I think it will be better for me to go ahead and take them rather than to allow things to get worse. Thank you for your wise counsel. I feel very comfortable with my decision. Please continue to pray that God will keep me and this precious new life safe and healthy.
~Shaundra
happy helpmeet and
mommy to 3 crazy boys
and 2 beautiful girls!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
Hi Ladies! Here's my question... what are the chances of developing Eclampsia & Preeclampsia if I had PUPPPS earlier in this pregnancy? It sounds like they both have to do with a toxic liver....

I had (maybe still have) a toxic liver (how do I know if it's still toxic?) but about the blood pressure...my midwife always says that mine is LOW, but normal for me, cause its always been that way....

Also, what is the difference between the two (Eclampsia & Preeclampsia)??

Thanks ladies for everything!! ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »
Here's what I found about PUPPP on babycenter.com: 

PUPPP usually begins in the third trimester and is more common among women carrying twins and those having their first baby. The eruptions usually show up first on the abdomen around or in stretch marks (if you have any) and may spread to your thighs, buttocks, and arms. PUPPP is harmless for you and your baby, but it can itch like crazy!

PUPPP usually disappears within a few days after delivery, although it sometimes persists for several weeks. (In rare cases, it may even begin after you give birth.) Fortunately, it seldom appears again in subsequent pregnancies.

From reading this, it sounds like you have very little chance of developing preeclampsia, especially if your blood pressure is running low.  Is this your first pregnancy?  If not, and you've already had a preeclampsia free first pregnancy, it is very unlikely you would develop it with subsequent pregnancies. 

Preeclampsia is a disease related only to pregnancy which can involve the liver, kidneys, and placenta.  Signs include:  high blood pressure, protein in the urine, sudden weight gain, right-sided abdominal pain (liver), vision changes, severe swelling especially in the hands and face, nausea and vomiting, high uric acid, as well as others.  If left untreated, it can often lead to eclampsia, which can cause seizures and coma.

HTH!

Sarah

freshisbest

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
The one thing I read ( that I wish I had read at the end of my last pregnancy!) is that you should eat lots and lots of protein if the blood pressure should go up. Keep cooked chicken breast around and snack. Wasn't it here on WTM somewhere a long time ago ? It was a midwife who said something like every half hour or hour eat high protein.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 04:02:35 AM »
DITTO on the protein.  I had severe toxemia with my first.  Dr. never said I even had anything until my due date and I'm  quite certain he knew nothing about what caused it.  He should have to pay for me to have a tummy tuck b/c that preg. SO severely stretched me out.   ::) ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 04:42:44 AM »
Also, does anyone know any solid causes for preclampsia? I have gotten a lot of different opinions but nothing really solid.

CLINICAL OBSERVATIONS AND RESEARCH

• Ross, Robert A.. "Relation of vitamin deficiency to the toxemia of pregnancy." So. Med. J. 28:120, 1935.
In North Carolina, he identified role of malnutrition and poverty in eclampsia and other human reproductive casualty.

• Strauss, M.B. "Observations on the etiology of the toxemias of pregnancy." Am. J. Med. Sci. 190:811, 1935.
Internist at Harvard recognized the role of proteins and related deficiencies in the etiology of eclampsia. Toxemia subsided in women placed on a 260-gram protein, well-balanced diet, with injections of vitamin B.

• Dodge, E., and Frost, T. "Relation between blood plasma proteins and toxemias of pregnancy." JAMA 111:1398, 1938.
The authors observed that low-protein diets, often prescribed by physicians for the treatment of toxemia of pregnancy, increased the severity of the disease. They successfully improved the condition with diets consisting of six or more eggs daily, one to two quarts of milk, lean meat, legumes and other nutritious foods; and they directly linked toxemia with low serum albumin and inadequate protein intake.

• Tompkins, Winslow T. "The significance of nutritional deficiency in pregnancy: A preliminary report." J. Intl. Col. Surg. 4:147, 1941.
Eradicated pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, low birth weight, and still birth at Philadelphia Lying-in Hospital. Infant mortality was reduced to 4 per 1000 births.

• Burke, Bertha S., et al. "Nutrition studies during pregnancy." Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 46:83, 1943.
Confirmed nutritional thesis of the etiology of eclampsia and demonstrated the protective effect of adequate nutrition on the mother, fetus/neonate and infant.

These are just a few... More are listed here: http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/bibliography.shtml#COR

Lots of good info on that site, including info on prevention.

WR

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 04:52:53 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »
I was talking w/ a very knowledgeable woman last night about pre-eclampsia.  28 years ago she developed it in her first PG.  She was seeing a midwife, and went to a Dr. for a 2nd opinion.  He told her that she would have to be sectioned, 3 weeks early or there was a 90% chance she could die, and 100% chance the baby would die.  After getting over that initial shock, her midwife came up w/ a plan to treat the PE.

After revamping her diet, in general, the midwife treated PE as a protein deficiency and recommended 100 grams of protein/day to get where she needed to be.  She advised AGAINST red meat as the main source of protein b/c it's so filling and the usable protein wasn't as high as other foods.  She was taught food combining (beans/grains) to make complete proteins.  In 2 weeks, the woman lost 11 pounds of water weight, and had no protein in her urine.  She went on to deliver a 8 1/2 pound baby at home.

I wish I had known this when I was PG with #1.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:17:29 AM by Yooper »

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 03:25:34 AM »
the midwife treated PE as a protein deficiency

Yep, the studies I listed above, and many more on Dr. Brewers website, say the same thing (or rather, nutrient deficiencies related to insufficient protein intake). That's why the Brewer Diet is able to, not only prevent, but actually reverse the condition a lot of times.

WR
Who Needs God?