Author Topic: Sea Salt Water Baths  (Read 6234 times)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Sea Salt Water Baths
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »
FIRST, I would like to thank Beeyoutifulgirl for encouraging me to post this information.  I had read a lot of her posts about the Water Cure and wrote asking if she knew anything about salt baths.  My training by the public school system is to ask a question and have the answer given to you, and as a result research is not my favorite thing to do.  I mean, it's work!  Anyway, Rebekah had no info to give me but encouraged me to post the info I would find.  So, here goes!

Earlier I started a thread about my  3 1/2 daughter who has year round exzema and nothing with diet or creams/lotions/ balms, you name it, has helped relieve her discomfort.  I got some good information in that post which we will try with her (possible LGS or other ideas) but I was looking for some relief NOW for her.

In June we spent a few days on Cape Cod with friends who are now living in Florida.  She has always had skin problems, not exzema, and had tried many diets, drs., creams, remedies, supplements, again, you name its, and nothing helped.  She had several severe outbreaks each year that would last for days to months.  While together I asked what her newest "finds" were in the continual attempt for relief.  She said, "well, haven't had any problems in a year!"  She had many people in Florida tell her to swim in the ocean, and not rinse off afterwards.  And that was all it took!

We were on the Cape for just over 2 days and so we decided to experiment with Hazel.  She was in the water 3 times and by the end of the second day, her exzema was almost gone!  It was like watching the Biblical account of dipping in the Jordan!  At home I decided to experiment with her while doing some research online.  I found a lot of information on salt baths from companies selling sea salts, but very little other info.  However, the little bit of plain info I found pretty much said the same thing the salt companies claimed, so for now that is what I have to go with.  Even more so, the results on my daughter have me believing!

What we have found is that the typical sea salt you buy in the grocery store is not helpful.  Reading information on the Curezone makes  sense of this.  Epsom salts, though very useful in other situations (I love a epsom salt bath when I am sick) also were not helpful.  However, unrefined sea salt (I am currently using one from Masada) do the trick.  I have ordered some Dead Sea salts (I ordered from the San Fransisco Bath Salt Co.) which are raved about for bathing purposes, and look forward to trying those.  About the only explanation I can find about how the salts help is that they draw impurities out of you skin.  Your skin is a major organ and when you are flushing out toxins through your skin the salt aids in that process.  I could find no information about not washing off the salt water.   

The following are some links that have salt information.  The curezone link has all the others listed in it, and has the most information about sea salt in general.  I could not find any info in that link specifically about baths.  For now, we put about 1/2 cup of salt in an old enamel baby bath tub and have Hazel sit in it for about 15 minutes.  Then we let the water sit and have her dip in a few other times during the day.  It seems that doing this at least every 3 days keeps her skin happy.  And that makes her happy.  And that makes me happy!

If anyone has any other infor I would love to hear from you!

http://www.curezone.com/foods/saltpage.html
http://www.celtic-seasalt.com/
http://www.realsalt.com/
http://eco-natural.com/greysalt/products.html

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
Re: Sea Salt Water Baths
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »
That is neat. I am studying about sitz baths right now. I guess if you put ginger in it then it will even draw radiation out of your body. I will have to try this on my 4 year old. She has bad skin (I think it was caused by immunizations, which we don't do now). I have to give her flax seed oil everyday or her skin gets so bad that she scratches until she bleeds. Literally. I already use real salt and found a place that I can buy it in bulk, pounds at a time. I am glad you shared.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
This makes a lot of sense.  I read that certain types of eczema are caused by yeast.  Salt kills yeast!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:14:35 PM »
This makes a lot of sense.  I read that certain types of eczema are caused by yeast.  Salt kills yeast!
Yes it does, velly velly intellesting.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:53:10 AM »
Yes it does, velly velly intellesting.   ::)

This is very interesting.  Or intellesting  ;D  When Hazel was a  tiny baby she had a terrible diaper rash and I finally took her to the dr.  He said yeast infection, and gave her Nystatin.  It made her bleed and I stopped it but never pursued to yeast thing.  I never took antibiotics so I am not sure where she would have gotten it.  Does yeast live on the skin or is the salt bath killing internal yeast? 

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:32 AM »
OOps, wanted to correct something in my original post.  The Masada salts I am using are Dead Sea salts.  I also bought some Redmond Real Salt for comsumption, and that salt is from Utah. 

The original bath salts I was checking out at the health food store were Dead Sea salts mixed with lavendar and something else.  I wanted to test whether it was the salt that helps, and didn't want anything else in there to compromise that testing. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »
Does yeast live on the skin...

Yes. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 03:36:10 AM »
Does yeast live on the skin...

Yes. 
WOW, never saw that in anything I read about yeast infections before.....!!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 02:08:13 PM »
WOW, never saw that in anything I read about yeast infections before.....!!!

http://dermatology.about.com/od/fungalinfections/a/intertrigo.htm
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/yeast_infection_skin_rash/article_em.htm

So I read these links (thank you!!), but it doesn't explain her situation.  This is really not in any folds or warm wet areas of her body.  So, I am thinking it is not yeast, so I'm back to the eczema (how do you spell that, I see it ex- or ec-  ???)

And the salt baths are working so that is what really matters at the present time!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »
So I read these links (thank you!!), but it doesn't explain her situation.  This is really not in any folds or warm wet areas of her body.  So, I am thinking it is not yeast, so I'm back to the eczema (how do you spell that, I see it ex- or ec-  ???)

If she has yeast which is causing eczema, the yeast wouldn't be on her skin (I was just answering your question).  When eczema is a result of yeast, it's a result of the body attacking itself via the immune system.  This happens when the gut is leaky and foods pass through into the blood stream and trigger the immune system to fight off foreign invaders.  Depending on the diet and the severity of the condition, different systems are affected, skin, bones, organs, etc.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline JamaicaMama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:14 AM »
Just want to quickly thank you for writing this! My 9 yr old son is suffering greatly with yeast-related exzema and I will give him a sea salt bath TODAY!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:40:00 AM by JamaicaMama »

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »
I am issuing a hopeful YEAH--YIPPEE!!

I am hoping this will be our answer too. Am going to order dead sea salt today. I think I saw it in bulk on morethanalive.com.

I have posted elsewhere that our 15 mo baby boy has had a rash on his cheeks since he was about 8 months old. Also some on his upper arms and thighs. Nothing I give him, nothing applied, nothing in allergy testing seem to work. Not sure what their shipping times are but I will let you know when it arrives and we try it...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:45:19 PM by NotLuckyButBlessed »
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline onmyway2natural

• Adept
  • Winter on Galveston Island, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »
I am one who has had eczema for years and nothing has fixed it yet, even the anti-yeast, no-wheat, probiotic and aloe leaky gut healing stuff I tried for 2 or more months last year. I had heard about the sea salt bath idea, but I tried the Eucalyptus Sea Salt Bath from Beeyoutiful several times and it didn't fix it. Helped a tiny bit for half a day. Now I see though that it is a combo of epsom and sea salt so maybe I need to try ONLY unrefined sea salt. hmmm...  Always looking for something.
Will let you know.
P.S. Going off wheat didn't help but going off dairy now for 2 or more months has seemed to help (finally something!) but not completely - it's less severe, but not gone. Dairy feeds yeast right?
Blessed wife to my own Prince William.
Grateful SAH&HsMommy to 9yog, 6yob, 5yob, 2yog.

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »
I am hoping this will be our answer too. Am going to order dead sea salt today. I think I saw it in bulk on morethanalive.com.
Have you seen the deal on eBay?  Not sure how it compares to what you're looking at but many of us have been pleased w/ them...http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZimajlineQQhtZ-1

Hope they help you, regardless of where they come from!  :)

Offline onmyway2natural

• Adept
  • Winter on Galveston Island, TX
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 04:25:19 AM »
I am issuing a hopeful YEAH--YIPPEE!!

I ordered some DSS the other day too and am excited to give it another try!
Blessed wife to my own Prince William.
Grateful SAH&HsMommy to 9yog, 6yob, 5yob, 2yog.

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:15 AM »
Thanks for reminding me that salt kills yeast. 

DSS had helped me so much last winter, and then I weaned off of them when I found gluten was a trigger.  Now that my skin has flare-ups, I think it's yeast.   ::)  That cocktail (dabbing on a solution of 1/4 c. DSS to 1 qt. water) is sure working, and more cost-effective than baths w/ them!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 05:48:18 AM »
o...this is very interesting.  I also suffer from eczema and have for years.  The only relief I had was a salt scrub by Arbonne.  If I used it on my legs daily, then they would not itch until the next shower.  I didn't buy more because I was certain that I could make it.  I haven't had time lately to try to make it.  I make salt baths for sale, but I just add eo to dead sea salt combined with other sea salts that aren't so chunky.  I haven't thought to use this on myself on a regular basis...I think I'll try it and see if it works.  Anyway, I found my sea salt in bulk at an Asian grocer.  I also found good deals on bulk sesame seeds and cinnamon sticks.

Jammie

Mrs. P

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
That cocktail (dabbing on a solution of 1/4 c. DSS to 1 qt. water) is sure working, and more cost-effective than baths w/ them!

Thanks for posting this Yooper. I am planning to try DSS on my baby, but was wondering how I was going to treat his face in a bath w/o getting it in his eyes. Now I will just use your recipe and dab it on. Will let you know how it works when my order gets here.
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
It doesn't look like anyone came back to post their results.  Hello out there!  Anybody home?  How did the DSS bath/dabbing help?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »
Have you tried it, yourself?

I think it works like a charm to dry up eczema patches.  We do the baths all the time.  It has not "cured" my kiddos "eczema", but it provides itch relief and takes away the redness. 

Definitely worth a try.

I highly recommend having it around the house anyway, for all manner of skin ailments.

HTH

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
I have made scented bath salts before but never used just DSS.  I'm not currently able to try it.  My baby is 4mo and it seems like he has eczema,but his skin is just really dry, scaly looking in spots, but not red or oozing.  I know it itches him, b/c he does scratch his head and at his belly and privates when they're accessible.  I'm still reading through the eczema thread.  Good to know that DSS helps with the itch for when I can do that.