Author Topic: What does healthy hair look/feel like?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
What does healthy hair look/feel like?
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
OK, I've tried/experimented with the BS/vinegar/ACV method of washing my hair.  I did not like how it made my hair look/feel.  It would either feel/look very dry & straw-like (the first day) or feel very heavy, oily, sticky, coated (by the second day). 

When I use regular shampoo (Suave Daily Moisture), my hair feels very soft, silky & looks pretty good.  Granted, by the next day, it's usually getting oily, which is why I usually wash my hair every day, but still....I like the way it looks/feels when I use shampoo.

With all the praise reports about BS/ACV on the other thread, I've been wondering what I was doing wrong.  (Does having hard water have anything to do with how the BS/vinegar method works?)

BUT, I'm also wondering - how exactly is healthy hair supposed to look & feel?  (keep in mind - I have long straight hair....not too fine, but not really thick either)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:32:16 AM by khix »
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
Re: What does healthy hair look/feel like?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:57:54 AM »
ACV doesn't work for my hair either. It gets dry and frizzy. Another alternative to shampoo is using conditioner. You need the cheapest conditioner you can buy, like suave, as it doesn't have any silicones that build up on your hair. You wet your hair down, use a handful of conditioner and rub it into your roots, wait a few minutes while you do other shower stuff and rinse it. It may take a few times for your hair to adjust, but it is mildly cleansing compared to shampoo which means your hair will not have to over-compensate by getting really oily.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »
I can't do just BS/ACV either.  But once a week I add some baking soda to my shampoo (I use SLS free), rinse out, then rinse with ACV, rinse out, then use my conditioner.  I wash my hair every other day, usually.  I would do this every time I wash, but I forget.  So I average about once a week.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:47:17 AM »

BUT, I'm also wondering - how exactly is healthy hair supposed to look & feel?  (keep in mind - I have long straight hair....not too fine, but not really thick either)

I have been shampoo free for well over a year now. It was quite a journey for me, and I have detailed that pretty well on the "no-poo" thread.  Just this morning I was doing my makeup and thought about how pretty and healthy my hair is these days. I regularly get complements on it. It's so shiney now it almost glows...  ;D

My hair used to be:

static-y in the winter
limp in the summer
greasy if I didn't wash it every day
full of gunk from my scalp issues
needed lots of "products" to behave
needed lots of effort to look nice

Since my no-poo journey my hair is:
Soft and silky without using conditioners
Bouncy
More body in the summer
not static-y this winter - even with 15 below zero temps
only gets greasy on the third day
no scalp issues
my hair has turned golden-auburn and naturally highlighted!
Minimal "products" bar soap, distilled vinegar, a spritz of hairspray
it pretty much always looks nice

I'll hop over to the "no poo" thread to update my current hair regimen:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,429.msg48713.html#msg48713
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:48:56 AM by joychild24seven »
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:14:37 AM »
I agree with Joychild.  on the Healthy look of hair.  But I noticed that when I over used the vinager rinse it made my hair look dry and feel a little on the straw side.  I only wash and use vinager rinse once a week.  The rest of the time I just rinse my hair under the water.  My hair is extremely healthy it is shiner than before has it's natural curl back. (looks like I have a perm but I don't before it was NEVER that way)  And doesn't tangle as easily.    I think the other way you can tell healthy hair is look closely at it.  If it has slpit end look up the shaft and not just at the ends it is breaking all over. Or if you have alot of "fly aways"  I just had my hair cut and the gal commented on how nice my hair was and couldn't believe I haven't had it cut in almost a year.  I also do beautiful Hair treatment about every 6 months.  I think it helps! 
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

burlsgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:29:05 AM »
mamaofangels,

You may have said this already, but I'm wondering, do you use baking soda to wash with? I ask b/c just this morning I was thinking how I'd like to get to the point I could just rinse with water in between.

Thanks!
Emily

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:32:20 AM »
I would like to know why the BS and AV doest work for me either. If i skip shampoo then my scalp is all itchy and yucky. Its like gunky if i scratch it. I guess its dry skin..not sure but i have to use a dandruff shampoo and i really hate that. I wish i could find something natural that cleaned my scalp better.

My hair used to be really healthy before it started getting curly and i had to straighten it. Now its not as healthy but it still looks pretty good.

one thing i notice is the static..it just started and I'm not sure what made it do that but overnight its like static is everywhere and everything i touch shocks me. LOL!! My hair stands on end after i brush it. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with being healthy or not because when my hair was 100% healthy (no blow dryer, no curling iron, no straightening iron) it was still staticy sometimes during the winter. i remember putting a dryer sheet on my brush to use when i brushed my hair. It helped a lot. At that time i remember my hair dresser telling me static in the hair means you have healthy hair and it doesn't do that to ppl who use harsh stuff on their hair because its unhealthy. So...i dunno about that. ???
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:10:24 AM »
mamaofangels,

You may have said this already, but I'm wondering, do you use baking soda to wash with? I ask b/c just this morning I was thinking how I'd like to get to the point I could just rinse with water in between.

Thanks!
Emily
I didn't put it in here but I think I detailed how I care for mine in the no poo thead but to save you time here's my Regiment.  I use bar soap nothing special just what ever I have avalible. I wash mostly just my scalp.  I don't really worry about the rest of my hair because it doesn't need it.  And I never do the gather all my hair up and scrub. I think that's to hard on it.  I rinse the soap out and as a final rinse just before I get out of shower I rinse with ACV about 1 tblsp to 1 cup water. but you can play with the amounts.  I tied BS once and did not like it. I think it is too hard to rinse out throughly and I didn't see any help it did.  I think the key is to scrub your scalp good. And your fingers will work just fine for that.  It will feel wierd almost yuck right after you rinse the soap out but that goes away with the ACV.    I leave ACV in and get out. I also rarely brush my hair.  I sometimes brush it right before I get in the shower but mostly I have a VERY wide tooth comb in the shower that I comb it right after the ACV rinse and get out towel dry and go.  I love the low maintince of it!! If I think it is starting to feel dry I use Sweet Almond oil on it. (I add lavender to mine but you can scent it how ever you want)  About once a month I really get the Almond Oil all ofer so it looks greasy out in in a bun or pony tail for that day and then shower.  I think it helps restore the moisture and keeps it shiny looking.  Hope that Helps.
Jenny

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »
For you "no-pooers"  ;D, here's some interesting info that might help.  For those of you who have had good experiences, maybe you can post and figure out why your method is better than someone else's.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15134.msg143193.html#msg143193
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Just thought and wanted to add That I found washing my hair more than twice a week dryed it out too much. But That could be that because I have curly hair and it needs more moisture that's why I went to rinsing in all my other showers.
Jenny

Offline Grace

• Adept
Re: What does healthy hair look/feel like? Burnt hair
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
I just put lighter fluid in my fireplace and lit it......whoosh! I managed to burn my hand, singe my eyebrow, and melt/fuse/sings alot of the end of my hair! :'( I don't know if I should wash my hair and then assess the damage or what? I would have to cut alot to get rid of the burned area. I wouldn't mind cutting it, but DH would not be very happy. I am trying to figure out my options before I tell him! ??? So will burnt hair grow, or do the ends need to be trimmed? And when will the smell go away?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
I would wash it and then assess the damage.  You will probably want to trim off all the singed ends - but it's likely just the very ends.  It's not going to be much shorter than it is right now after it's been burned.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Grace

• Adept
Re: What does healthy hair look/feel like? Burnt Hair
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
I would wash it and then assess the damage.  You will probably want to trim off all the singed ends - but it's likely just the very ends.  It's not going to be much shorter than it is right now after it's been burned.
Thanks Sarah K...Any more suggestions? I washed it....lots fell out....now I am waiting for it to dry.
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!