Author Topic: Berry Well [Elderberry Syrup]: FAQs & Personal Experience  (Read 4894 times)

Offline bakermom

• Adept
Berry Well [Elderberry Syrup]: FAQs & Personal Experience
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »
I put it in the fridge but it didn't say to. Will that hurt it at all?  I would want it to keep a long time. 

Do you take it only when you are sick?  How long before it works?

Here is my experience.  I had a dry tickling cough for about 5 days.  I took berry well then the next day it was still there only my nose got stuffy by the end of the day along with the same coughing.  The cough was good until evening.  Now this morning there is only a little coughing but the congestion in my nose is now a terribly runny nose.  Is this working or should I take it twice a day while ill?

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
Re: Berry Well [Elderberry Syrup]: FAQs & Personal Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:02 AM »
When my BerryWell arrived, the dogs got the box (this is the box that had teh herbs too) and the BerryWell survived. However, it was frozen solid. Hubby thawed it out in the kitchen sink all night, and the next morning I called beeyoutiful to ask if it was ok. They said it was ok, freezing would not hurt it. I also asked if it had to be refridgerated. The man said no, it had a shelf life of 7 yrs (I am pretty sure he said 7, not 5). He said if it made it taste better to you, you could keep it in the fridge. I took it warm that day, and I am keeping it in the fridge to see if it tastes better when I need it again. I don't know where I will keep it if it is not in the fridge anyway....it might get lost! :P

CJ

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
It does taste better when fridged!  My cold is almost non -existent right now!  Wow, I cannot believe the difference.

Offline moepigtails

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »
I too refrigerated mine and it improves the taste a bit, but seems thicker.  It took a few days of taking it to help my cold(also took bee immune and vit c) HOWEVER, last night I broke out in a rash from head to toe, very hive like and my feet itch like crazy  :o(still have it this afternoon). This is the only new thing I have been taking so I am assuming that it is a reaction to an ingredient.  What a bummer cuz it did work! :(Any ideas on a natural way to cure the itch?

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »
I put it in the fridge but it didn't say to. Will that hurt it at all?  I would want it to keep a long time. 

Do you take it only when you are sick?  How long before it works?

Here is my experience.  I had a dry tickling cough for about 5 days.  I took berry well then the next day it was still there only my nose got stuffy by the end of the day along with the same coughing.  The cough was good until evening.  Now this morning there is only a little coughing but the congestion in my nose is now a terribly runny nose.  Is this working or should I take it twice a day while ill?

I have used one bottle of Berry Well, and liked it alot (for my little girls) and really felt like it helped ward off a cold, so I bought the 6/$75 deal.  When I called beeyoutiful about it the fellow I spoke with recommended small doses throughout the day.  I know that herbal tinctures are most effective when given in small amounts consistently throughout the day (at least that's the way I've found them to be most effective).  For example, for my 3yo I try to give her 1/2 - 1 tsp. as close to every hour as I can.  I don't have much experience with the Berry WEll yet, but I know that starting as soon as you think you might be getting something, or at the first signs of a sniffle in your kids, and then giving doses consistently throughout the day will either take care of it completely or greatly lessen the severity of a cold.  This has been my experience anyways.  HTH!

Anna

by the way, my girls LOVE the B.W., so much so that when my 3 yo dd noticed some left on her little sister's upper lip, she leaned it to clean it off for her  :D  I personally don't care for the taste, but I think if I mixed it with something else I could take it no problem.  I had thought about a smoothie...
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »
My cold became worse again over night so it is not gone.  I will try a lesser dose more often.  What is too much?  It says one tablespoon per day.

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
It is getting better. Who knows how bad it could have been without the berry well. I am giving it to my 1yo now.

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:34 AM »
Now I feel good but have hives.  could this be from the berry well and is just delayed?

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »
Now I feel good but have hives.  could this be from the berry well and is just delayed?

Maybe, maybe not.  My son has had allergies, and sometimes hives would pop up long after he had been taking a medicine - we couldn't always tell what the hives were from.  You can take/eat something for years, and then develop an allergy; the only way I know to really find out what the problem is, is to wait until you are well and hive-free, and then take a small dose of Berry Well.  If that is the culprit, the hives will come right back without taking a huge amount, too.  When we did this with my son, it turned out he was not allergic to any meds, and we just chalked it up to some allergy to some pollen in the summer. 
I wonder if that doesn't show up anything for the Berry Well, you might want to check the Bee Immune the same way.  Anyways, that is how I would handle it.  Other people may have other ideas.

Of course, when you're dealing with bee products, you could be allergic to something they used to make the honey.  You might not always be allergic to the honey if they don't use the pollen to which you're sensitive.  My husband has a highly allergic friend at work who has to avoid fresh milk a certain time of the year; the cows eat a pollen he is allergic to, and so the milk gives him fits then.  Any other time of the year he is fine with milk!  That's my 2 cents for the day!  I wouldn't give up the Berry Well without a fight! ;D

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
I am wondering if it is ok to take BW while pregnant? Does anyone know? I have to hide it from my kids, they love it!  ;D

Offline momof6

• Learning
    • mannatech associate site
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »

The first time I took Berry Well, within 15 minutes my sinuses on one side completely opened up!  We loved it, but the bottle was gone way too soon!  If it came in larger sizes........ :'(
Sheri

"My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness"

www.mannapages.com/sherireimer

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
I used the Berry Well equivilent almost 2 bottles of it recently on my 3 kids. It did help my sons  croup/bronchitis ( I gave it for 7 days or less)  I gave them 1 tsp every 2 hours...7 tsp/day for the first two days+ then 5 tsp day for the next 5 days or so. My other little 18 month old and my 3 year old daughter just kept getting worse and I started the elderberry before I heard much of a cold. I had to switch them over to Oregan Grape Root (herbs for kids) because the elderberry just was not making them get much better...believe me I gave themTONS of it, like 1- 3/4 tsp 5-7x a day. He is about 26 lbs+.  He is some better now. i guess they just needed a stronger "antibiotic" type herb like Oregan Grape root.  So I was a little disapointed that it didnt make all my children better equally, just one of them. Im not sure, should have I gave it every hour instead of every two????

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:36 AM »
Well my hives are much worse and this is the third day. I stopped all supplements and nuts of any sort.  I did take a clindesse for a vag bacerial infections three weeks ago and then diflucan after that.  No immediate reaction.  could it be delayed?

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:52 AM »
Hi bakermom,
I personally get an itchy rash after taking vit C or anything with high amounts of ascorbic acid over several days. This is a common reaction to ascorbic acid, I believe. For me it helps to back off of the vit C, drink lots of water, and take extra doses of Omega Oils.

HTH,

Rebekah

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 05:40:51 AM »
Has anyone taken Berry Well while pregnant?

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »

I took it while pregnant.  To my knowledge there are no ingredients that pose any problems to pregnancy.  As with any supplement just make sure you take plenty of water with it!  :)

Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 06:18:22 AM »

I took it while pregnant.  To my knowledge there are no ingredients that pose any problems to pregnancy.  As with any supplement just make sure you take plenty of water with it!  :)

Thank you! I don't know what I had read that made me think I needed to ask, but I haven't taken it since I've been pregnant and I want to. It tastes so good, too!  ;D

Offline 4-KRAS

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »
I recently ordered Berry Well. Last week my husband who suffers with nasty sinus infections was commenting on where the nutty pot (used to clean sinus yuck out, not sure if I spelled that correctly, anyway) was and I said I would set it up for him (I had no idea he was having sinus issues). He was just getting ready to leave for work. He said never mind. Then I remembered that I had bought the Berry Well just for that reason. I got all excited and said try this, try this! My husband is very good at humoring me because I am into experiementing with different things for ailments and took it before he left for work. I told him he could take the bottle to work and take it throughout the day if he wanted. He said no thank you and left for work. I am a home schooling mom and during my daughters reading to me time, I noticed her eyes were watering terribly and her nose was running as well. I again remembered the Berry Well and gave her a tsp or two (can't remember) and later that afternoon I noticed that I didn't really notice anything about her cold. It seemed to really improve  her condition and that was with only one "dose". Now I am not sure how she would have been had I not given it to her but it made me definately wonder. The next morning my husband was looking for the Berry Well. I asked him if it seemed to help. He said he wasn't sure how he would have felt without it but it must have had a positive effect enough to take it the next 2 mornings.

I was wondering if you can take it while nursing? I guess if you can take it while you are pregnant you should be able to take it while nursing but I wanted to be sure. I have not tried it yet for that reason. Any thoughts?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »
I've used this on coughing chitlins in the middle of the night.  It calmed their coughs enough for them to rest and their symptoms seemed very mild during the day without any repeat dosages during the day.  ;D

I have yet to try it myself as (Praise the Lord) I've been very blessed and haven't had a sinus infection or a sore throat in over a year.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 03:42:06 AM »
Is berry well better than Sambucol?  This is what I am currently using.  I'm VERY new to healing the kids naturally..but the garlic enema stopping the throw up virus in it's tracks made me a believer...(and the rest of the family scared of me :o)  Anyway, I have a sick hubby, sick son, sick daughter, one not sick yet daughter and today I have a sore throat.  I have been using the Sambucol for days on the son and am almost out.  Hubby is going to the store today and if Berry Well is better, then I want to have him get that one instead of the Sambucol. 

Also, does the herbal approach work better if you start it sooner rather than later?  My son was already very sick and he has not really gotten much better, but not worse either.  I started the daughter on the sambuchol as soon as she looked pale and felt bad and now she has some runny nose, but isn't as bad as he is.  I also gave the unsick one a dose yesterday to hopefully prevent her from getting so sick.  O..I also gave the daughter the sage and honey treatment for runny nose before bed, so I'm interested to see how it worked.  Her comments on the sage, "It does NOT taste like thanksgiving stuffing." Next time I won't try to guess a flavor for them. ;D

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »
i can't say if Berrywell is better, but have heard tons of good testimony with it.  only you will have to order it online from beeyoutiful.com or morethanalive.com  and definitely a huge YES on starting sooner than later.  but it was very effective for me this week when my 2 yo. had a really bad cold and GOOT wasn't touching it.  i started the sambuccol and added a little propolis and he was 90%  better in the morning after 2 doses.  all he could do was cry and be held the day before and he woke up with energy and ran around like normal!  his nose is still running, but it's a lot better.  think i will up his dosage today and see if we can get rid of it. 

you are braver than me, wish i had the guts to do the enema.  the stomach flu always hits our family really hard.  if one of us gets it, we all get it.   :P  and it's miserable.  i had tried it on my baby about a year and 1/2 ago, without much luck. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 04:11:38 AM »
I guess for today we will just have to get more Sambucol then.  I'll order the berry well this week as I'm almost out of Supermoms anyway...

I'm giving 10 ml twice a day to the sickies and 5 ml once a day to the non-sickie...think this is often enough?  I was reading that more frequent smaller doses is better.  Is propolis bee pollen? 

Blessings,
Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 05:08:34 AM »
I guess for today we will just have to get more Sambucol then.  I'll order the berry well this week as I'm almost out of Supermoms anyway...

I'm giving 10 ml twice a day to the sickies and 5 ml once a day to the non-sickie...think this is often enough?  I was reading that more frequent smaller doses is better.  Is propolis bee pollen? 

Blessings,
Jammie

propolis is what Beeyoutiful calls Bee Immune.  i sprinkled 1/3 cap. into 2 tsp.  it didn't mix in very well.  not sure if that was necessary, cuz there is propolis in the Sambuccol.  i think the dosage depends a lot on the size/weight of the child.  i just filled my dropperful to 2 tsp. and gave him some every few hours til it was gone.  i think you are doing fine.  yeah, it works better to spread it out. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »
Last night I finally got my chance to try this on myself.  I got a chronic frog in the throat that was turning into a dry cough.  I took 1 T of BerryWell and went to bed.  The cough stopped within minutes and I was able to sleep pretty well.  No cough this morning.  I don't really think I was getting sick, just getting that "it's too cold and dry out, can't get my breath, got dust in my throat" kind of cough, if you KWIM?   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 01:23:01 PM »
We are currently testing the " Berry Well" as a preventative medicine for my DH, who seems to have a weakened immune system..........( Or maybe he's just exposed to too many germs ;) I'm still trying to figure it out!)  He takes it only on the days he works. I am also testing it on my kids as a preventative- I give them some after we've been in public. So far, my DH has been well for about 3 weeks. That is pretty amazing for him...........I would add, though, that we've been drinking a lot of Kefir, since the stomach flu hit our kids. Those who drink it stay well. My toddler would'nt drink his kefir and got sick ::) It's probably too soon for me to give the berry well a grade, but so far it seems to be helping my DH.. I will try and update later with more info. :)
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
At what age do you think Berry Well would be safe? I have an 8 week old with a cold, and I would love to try it on him. I am breastfeeding... should I just take it and let it "trickle through"? :)

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
At what age do you think Berry Well would be safe? I have an 8 week old with a cold, and I would love to try it on him. I am breastfeeding... should I just take it and let it "trickle through"? :)

Corrie

We strongly advise against giving BerryWell to babies 1 year old and younger due to the raw honey.  There is always a chance of botulism with raw honey and babies digestive systems are not able to handle it like adults.

I would recommend taking it yourself along with any other immune boosting things you have around.  At least some of it will make it into your milk.  :)  Hope the little guy gets better soon! 
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »

Corrie

We strongly advise against giving BerryWell to babies 1 year old and younger due to the raw honey.  There is always a chance of botulism with raw honey and babies digestive systems are not able to handle it like adults.

I would recommend taking it yourself along with any other immune boosting things you have around.  At least some of it will make it into your milk.  :)  Hope the little guy gets better soon! 

You can give your 8 week old son Sambucol for kids. They have dosages for under one year. Taking Berry Well yourself should help to get some stuff to him also.

Also I give my children Infa-Flu which is pretty much the same as Sambucol, only it does not have sugar in it. It is achohol free and safe for newborns, clear up to adult, nursing and pregnant moms.
It can be given every 4 hours to babies and is super safe.

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/infaflu-p-43.html?osCsid=16caafca4bc99bd44878a27bd178eefb

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
Just FYI to those of you that are refrigerating BerryWell we just talked with one of the formulators and he told us that although refrigerating it does improve the taste it also reduces it's effectiveness.  So, If you want it as potent as possible keep it out of the fridge!  ;D

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
...it also reduces it's effectiveness.  So, If you want it as potent as possible keep it out of the fridge!  ;D

I've had mine in the fridge for over a month now.  Should I take it out to keep what potency I have left?