Author Topic: Flies and Pests..well they are pests  (Read 14734 times)

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
Re: Flies and Pests..well they are pests
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »
Has Anyone figured out if this bag of water idea is still a good idea?  Any more testimonials of a fly free summer?  I am about to go nuts from the flies.  I am about to go run around the house with a can of Raid!  Please don't let me resort to that.  But today I am feeling weak since I caught a cold, tried to lay down for a nap, but I can sleep because the flies keep bugging me.  And I have knats in my kitchen.  I am still looking around on here, but does anyone know of a knat/ fly trap recipe.........I am thinking of putting something stinky in a jar with a nail hole in the lid kind of thing. 
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »
Has Anyone figured out if this bag of water idea is still a good idea?  Any more testimonials of a fly free summer?  I am about to go nuts from the flies.  I am about to go run around the house with a can of Raid!  Please don't let me resort to that.  But today I am feeling weak since I caught a cold, tried to lay down for a nap, but I can sleep because the flies keep bugging me.  And I have knats in my kitchen.  I am still looking around on here, but does anyone know of a knat/ fly trap recipe.........I am thinking of putting something stinky in a jar with a nail hole in the lid kind of thing. 

How to build a fly trap.

This example is for students to keep the flies alive, but I'm sure you can make modifications against the advice of the instructor to solve your problem.

Here's some more examples

http://www.thinkingfountain.org/t/2literbottle/2literbottle.html

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/get-rid-of-flies-with-a-diy-fly-trap-283371.php
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/07/how_to_make_a_simple_fly.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/E3OFOLNF3PIEPNQ/
http://www.bottlebiology.org/investigations/fruit_fly_trap.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
Wow, thanks so much.  You really did a lot of research on this.  I guess you were probably tired of coming over to my house and me making you swat flies.  I will make one of these and see how it goes.   I like how the one article says, "Remember, flies are harmless."  I was thinking, the flies may be harmless, but the crazy woman running around with a flyswatter definitely is not!  >:( ;D
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »
Wow, thanks so much.  You really did a lot of research on this.  I guess you were probably tired of coming over to my house and me making you swat flies.  I will make one of these and see how it goes.   I like how the one article says, "Remember, flies are harmless."  I was thinking, the flies may be harmless, but the crazy woman running around with a flyswatter definitely is not!  >:( ;D
Flies are harmless???  Um...I wonder where they get their information?  They probably think it's okay to let rats run around the house as well ???   :o

And that crazy lady with the flyswatter is definately NOT harmless.  Look out.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
Does anyone know what to do about fruit flies? I just looked over at the basket and there is about 20 flying over it, there had been rotten fruit in it before but I thought my brother cleaned it up pretty well.

I have tried honey and vinegar, and the flies are then attracted that, but only 5-10 fall in and drown. :-\

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »
but only 5-10 fall in and drown. :-\

HAAAHAAA! That created a hilarious mental picture!  :D :D :D :D
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
um... flyswatter?  ;D I don't know.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »
Does anyone know what to do about fruit flies? I just looked over at the basket and there is about 20 flying over it, there had been rotten fruit in it before but I thought my brother cleaned it up pretty well.

I have tried honey and vinegar, and the flies are then attracted that, but only 5-10 fall in and drown. :-\
The best luck I've had is getting rid of what they lay eggs on and then swatting whatever I can find.  Sometimes it takes awhile to get them all, but then you really have to watch your fresh fruits and veggies carefully.  Also, if you have any vegetarian animals in the house, fruit flies will lay eggs in their droppings.  I did post a link to a trap though.  Check this post.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1441.msg109433.html#msg109433
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:33 AM »

We get a ton of fruit flies here and the best way I have found to get rid of them is to vacuum them up!! ;D  Yep, I stand at the fruit bowl with my vacuum cleaner wand and just suck 'em up.  They aren't too fast so it is real easy.   Usually I can get rid of them within a day if I do it 3X the first day, then at least once the next day to catch any strays or newly hatched,? do they hatch?  It's chemical free and even the kids can do it. ;D ;D
mauimom

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
I love that idea! I'll have to try it! Thanks!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »
Well yall could always try a dog. Yes a dog. LOL. My dogs run, jump, chase and bite at flies all the time. They actually help keep the fly population down.  ::)

I had a venus fly trap plant one time but since it did not get up and hunt after the flies it did not do much to decrease the fly population. Then I accidentally poisoned it to death by feeding it tiny pieces of hot dog.  :( Not even a plant can handle that highly processed garbage.

Since I live in an ancient pre-Moses style home all kinds of creatures get in. This may sound red neck but when I sleep I like to sleep with a fan blasting on me because it blows those diabolical flies around so they cant get to me and land. Muahahahaha !  :D

Offline gabi

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
Well yall could always try a dog. Yes a dog. LOL. My dogs run, jump, chase and bite at flies all the time. They actually help keep the fly population down.  ::)

I had a venus fly trap plant one time but since it did not get up and hunt after the flies it did not do much to decrease the fly population. Then I accidentally poisoned it to death by feeding it tiny pieces of hot dog.  :( Not even a plant can handle that highly processed garbage.

Since I live in an ancient pre-Moses style home all kinds of creatures get in. This may sound red neck but when I sleep I like to sleep with a fan blasting on me because it blows those diabolical flies around so they cant get to me and land. Muahahahaha !  :D

Wow I don't think I've laughed yet today--but that was funny stuff up there! Thank you!! And I guess my order for Venus Fly Traps  for me and my friends is going out the window! (I seriously did order them!!--Thought they'd make funny gifts!  ;D)

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 06:13:27 AM »
My brother has a venus fly trap, and while it isn't getting the little fruit flies, it does really help with the big fly population, there was three buzzing around the last week and I haven't seen them yesterday or today, and the venus flytrap has to bulging traps closed, so they do work, you just have to make sure there isn't something else the flys are more attracted to, like the garbage or compost.

I looked last night and there wasn't one fruit fly around the basket, I hadn't done anything yet! I asked my brother and he said he threw away a banana.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 06:38:29 AM »
I heard something about flies the other day that was news to me.
We had a beekeeper come and give a nice presentation to our homeschool group and we got to talking afterwards about biological pest control.  He suggested having a hornet nest around to keep the fly population down.  He said he has one high up under the eaves of his house and he likes to sit on the patio and watch the hornets attack flies in the evening. 
Doesn't sound like a plan for this house!   :o
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 06:59:09 AM »
Wow I don't think I've laughed yet today--but that was funny stuff up there! Thank you!! And I guess my order for Venus Fly Traps  for me and my friends is going out the window! (I seriously did order them!!--Thought they'd make funny gifts!  ;D)

The venus fly trap do eat the flies still.  And it is kind of fun in a warped way to watch the unsuspecting fly get nailed by the plant. For the poor innocent fly it must be like some kind of diabolical evil force coming upon it, kind of like those old scary movies that have that same scary sound everytime someone freaks out. I wonder if the fly hears that sound as it is being devoured by the plant? I am most certain it is trying to scream out " honey! Fly away! Tell all 7948 kids to fly away! I love you! Take care of the kids! " then he is eaten  :(

I should get another one and put it in the kitchen by the trash.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »
For flies: a little boy (and, I'll admit it: a hubby too!) and this:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5669&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=5669

I had meant to get it for about a year, but thought it was silly/gimmicky. Boy, was I wrong. The men of my house go after flies w/ a vengence, now that they're properly armed!  ::)

I've always said that if I were Pharaoh, I'd have let those Hebrews go if I had but *ONE* fly to contend with! (But I also know that had *I* been Eve, the serpent would have only needed to look at the fruit, then look at me and wink, and I'd have ruined it for all of us!)

For fruit flies: put some rotting fruit in a plastic bag (ziplock is great for this) and catch them in that and kill them off. I squish them so I can keep catching them. Sometimes they go in a bowl of vinegar and drown, but this hasn't worked the last few times I tried it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 06:24:58 AM by healthybratt »

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 02:56:47 AM »
We have hornets all over and it doesn't seem to deter the flies.  I think we have so many flies because we keep all of the doors and windows open and in the morning and evening it is warmer here than outside and they all come in.  I was thinking about somehow making it colder in here during the day and leaving the doors open so that they all go out then shutting everything up.  I have also threatened to buy a role of screen and just nailing pieces to the outside of the house around the windows and doors!  The more I kill the more come in, it is like the man who got rid of the demon and he cleaned and swept and the demon came back with 7 friends, but x hundreds!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
I heard something about flies the other day that was news to me.
We had a beekeeper come and give a nice presentation to our homeschool group and we got to talking afterwards about biological pest control.  He suggested having a hornet nest around to keep the fly population down.  He said he has one high up under the eaves of his house and he likes to sit on the patio and watch the hornets attack flies in the evening. 
Doesn't sound like a plan for this house!   :o
Um..we have hornets, bees, wasps, and other stinging things all over and we still have hundreds of flies around.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 05:27:03 AM »
I am wondering about these fruit/drain flies.  Quite frankly I am not sure which I have. Right now on my mirror in my bedroom are three pretty sizeable ones??? ???  Why would a drain or fruit fly be where there is no drain or food?  I read up on them  but already forgot.  One kind has red eyes.  I am going to do a test tonight to see if they are coming from the drain.  BUT I do have kefir and bananas both of which I have had to move to the fridge.   ::) Looks like I have traded in big nasty flies for little nasty other kind of flies.   :o ::)

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
Pennie - I'm having the SAME problem right now!!  It doesn't matter how clean the kitchen is or how far away the garbage is - they are constantly around.  And mine are huge too - I almost hesitate to call them fruit flies but they aren't regular houseflies either.  They are in every room of the house - not a ton of them but two or three.  Just enough to be annoying.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
Pennie - I'm having the SAME problem right now!!  It doesn't matter how clean the kitchen is or how far away the garbage is - they are constantly around.  And mine are huge too - I almost hesitate to call them fruit flies but they aren't regular houseflies either.  They are in every room of the house - not a ton of them but two or three.  Just enough to be annoying.
Well, stink, I was going to do the drain test to see if they are coming from the drain or a food source but I have a portable dishwasher and I always run it at night and everything has to be dry and then you put tape over the drain but not totally covered and if they stick to the tape then they are drain flies but.....not tonight.  I think they probly are b/c they are in the bathroom too, but then they are in my bedroom too and I have no drain in there.  OH, my girls found a tick on their bed today. I am sure we brought it home from the "meadow" even though hubs said it was too early to worry about.  Yikes! I don't think it got anybody though. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »

Good-bye Fruit Flies

To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass fill it 1/2"  with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well.  You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

I just tried this out in my kitchen and it worked WONDERS.  I only put about a 1/4 cup vinegar in an old yogurt container with a couple squirts of dish soap.  About 3 hours later I can count 57 of them in the vinegar and about 3 still flying around.  (dh left the other half of his banana on the counter)  ::) ;) :D
This didn't work as well as I hoped, but I added a small chunk of apple in the middle of the bowl and made sure all other, more desirable targets were out of reach (outside, in the fridge, in the dump) and it worked quite well.  I caught hundreds of them, that drown and sunk to the bottom of the bowl in a matter of hours.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »
Can someone tell me how to get rid of those little fruit flies???  They are driving my family crazy!  I don't really know why we have them so bad.  I don't have much fruit around anymore.  And i've been putting my bananas in those green bags, and i've put my apples and oranges in the frig.  They are just hanging around, the garbage, esp.  We seperate our garbage, into burnable and not burnable.  Uggh, it is so annoying.  I've had them in the summer but never in the winter like this.

Help!

Wendy

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »
They live and reproduce down in the p-trap (the u shaped pipe) in the drain.  Pour some bleach down it at night, and they'll go away pretty quickly.  Vinegar also attracts them, so I sit out a small bowl of vinegar, cover it with plastic wrap and poke some pinhead sized holes in it, and secure it with a rubber band.  They get in and can't get out.

Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »
Thanks!  I will be doing that tonight!!!
wendy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 05:37:17 AM »
Can someone tell me how to get rid of those little fruit flies???  They are driving my family crazy!  I don't really know why we have them so bad.  I don't have much fruit around anymore.  And i've been putting my bananas in those green bags, and i've put my apples and oranges in the frig.  They are just hanging around, the garbage, esp.  We seperate our garbage, into burnable and not burnable.  Uggh, it is so annoying.  I've had them in the summer but never in the winter like this.

Help!

Wendy
I agree with pouring something caustic down the pipes to kill them.  Here's my bowl trick.  I've had better luck with it than the others mentioned.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1441.msg206042.html#msg206042
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:33 AM »
I'm doing the vinegar thing with the dish soap, and it's catching lots, but do I need to pour the bleach down only at night?  i put it down yesterday, but it was earlier in the day?? 

I think I will make sure the garbage is taken out this evening, so there will be nothing else left. 

I can't believe they lay eggs in the drain???  Should I do all the drains in the house?? ???

Wendy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
I'm doing the vinegar thing with the dish soap, and it's catching lots, but do I need to pour the bleach down only at night?  i put it down yesterday, but it was earlier in the day?? 

I think I will make sure the garbage is taken out this evening, so there will be nothing else left. 

I can't believe they lay eggs in the drain???  Should I do all the drains in the house?? ???

Wendy
I think generally only the kitchen drain because this is where the food from the plates and the juice from the glasses go.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AnnaBanana

• AnnaBanana
  • Adept
  • Aloha ke Akua!
    • Lilia Designs & YINIA!
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
I don't see Cedarcide mentioned in this thread.  It's simply red cedar oil, and it works incredibly for flea control, ants, flies, roaches...I love it.  Cedarcide.com is the website, and the safest one for cats, dogs, kids and adults is the Best Yet.  :)

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
I'm sorry if someone mentioned this already, but dinner is cooking, and hubby is on his way home, and I only had time to read a couple!  ;D ::)
I have been having enormous amounts of fun lately, and practicing my aim, by spraying the flies with a spray bottle filled with water and soap. Instant incapacitation.  8)
I'm thinking about getting a squirt gun because that would make it that much more fun.
I hate flies. They're so gross! And my Mom instilled in me a hatred for fly-swatters because of all the germs they gather... no offense to any fly-swatter fans.
Anyway, I just wait for the unsuspecting fly to land somewhere, grin, and squirt it. So far this spring I've killed a ton and only one has been able to evade me today. But his hour is coming.