Author Topic: Healing My Body Post Surgery [Post Op]  (Read 6712 times)

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
Healing My Body Post Surgery [Post Op]
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »
I am 2 weeks postpartum major abdominal surgery.  I had a hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries, cervix and tubes, they took my uterus, which was the size of a 16 week preg. gestation, through my navel in strips.  Then, through the back vaginal wall, they repaired what my
uro-gyno called the worst rectocele in her history.  That is the repair of the rectal wall between the rectum and vaginal opening, taking a triangle of flesh out, like a dart in a bodice, and then stitching back to make the wall flat and elastic again. Through the front of the vaginal wall, they put my bladder in a mesh, and the ligament that holds up my bladder has been 'shored' up & tightened. My bladder had descended significantly as well as the rectal wall becoming a big pouf from 9 pregnancies, 7 births, of which 4 pregnancies with babies at 9 and 10 lbs.  My cervix has been linked tightly to the top of the vagina as it was the mouth of the womb, but is just a mouth now.  It is important in keeping the vaginal canal from going lax, for tone, and for husbands!  I have stitches, all internal, except for the 4 healing wounds from the laparoscope on my abdomen, in 6 or 7 different places.

I chose this route after years of going back & forth, bleeding very heavily, often with clots as large as peach pits, taking Ibuprofen every 4 hours for 3 days straight, just to be able to stand up straight, and accompanied by labor-like cramps.  We almost lost our last baby, #7, who was born via c-section, purple and blue for 6 minutes, apgar scores of 1 and 1 at birth and at 5 minutes.  Baby # 6, who is just 11 months older than baby #7, whew!!, was an IUGR(intrauterine growth retardation) baby, prevented us at 35 weeks from a homebirth, and did not grow at all after 35 weeks, and was still 7 lbs at birth! God is good, and I have mongo-sized babies.  Baby #5 was 10 lbs, born posterior, at home, but I bled significantly and dangerously so, a quick shot of methargen and God's grace kept me; my placenta was very deformed.....We also lost 2 babies at 13 weeks, both miscarriages being just like labor for my births in intensity.....We knew while pregnant with #7, the last one, that it would not be wise for Momma or baby to have anymore.

So, here I am, 2 weeks postpartum, finding your boards, reading every post I can, adding much knowledge to the bit I've had over the years about to be healthier and to keep my husband and children strong.  Is there anything in particular I should be taking, brewing, drinking, etc?   I have just been allowed to drive, short distances, but am not to lift, push, pull, have relations with my husband, etc, for 8 weeks total.  I want to heal well and soundly, get stronger, etc. I have asthma, which is flaring a bit, and am only taking Ibuprofen for pain, and almost done an antibiotic I resisted strongly, as I almost always get yeast infections with them, but was begged by both gynos to take it because of the significant amount of healing inside my body.

Sorry so long!! 
~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
see my quilts and family at _http://tinyurl.com/3q824

I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Healing My Body Post Surgery [Post Op]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:40:12 AM »
Wow, my hat off to you - super mom!

First of all, if you're prone to yeast infections with antibiotics, this probably is a sign that you've been plauged with yeast overgrowth for some time.  I would definately recommend you start supplementing your probiotics (pills, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, etc) to reestablish a colony of good bacteria to prevent any more overgrowth and get started on killing off the overgrowth before you get any more or worse symptoms.  You might also want to consider taking a fungacide (Yeast Assassin, ThreeLac, etc) to help the probiotics along.

I might also recommend you take some raspberry leaf tea to help with any Post Partem depression symptoms and to help regulate your hormones after the hysterectomy.

Drink lots and lots and lots of water and get lots and lots and lots of rest.  Walk as much as you can in between resting (to the bathroom mostly ;) ) and back and forth (baby steps) once every hour or so to help speed the healing.  I've had 3 C-sections and I remember that walking a little each hour or so, helped keep the soreness and stiffness to a minimum. 

There's lots of other info around here that might help as well and I'm sure some of the other members will most likely have some other good info to add as well.

Welcome and I hope your recovery is very speedy.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »
My sister just had all that done too.  Her cervix was actually falling out.  :P  They did end up taking out an ovary but that wasn't planned. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:07:36 AM »
Wow!!  That was the most gruesome surgery story.  I feel so bad for you.  How can you possibly take it easy with all of those kids?
Anyway, there is a marvelous healing power in aloe vera.  Beeyoutiful gave me the suggestion to use on my husband who is healing from scar tissue from a surgery down under ;) It seems to be working great.  You can buy organic aloe vera juice from a drug mart.  It kinda tastes like an off lemonade and can easily be disguised in any other juice.  Happy healings!!

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:57:59 AM »
Wow!!  That was the most gruesome surgery story.  I feel so bad for you.  How can you possibly take it easy with all of those kids?
~Not very easily, mind you!  It is ridiculously hard not to just get up & do a lot of stuff myself, but it has been nice to see my little ones enjoy pampering me, sharing their food, snuggling more. After I heard all they had had to do during my surgery, I did feel a bit weak in the knees, but it is a relief that when I am healed, I will not lose 2+ days each month to being unable to cope.  My body had been in the reproductive stages for 15 years, lactating almost that whole time, and with all the pain, etc, I was just completely whipped.  I had so many issues that despite nursing my newborns on demand, I always got my cycle back at 4 months post-partum, almost to the day! So unfair! 

I am able to drive for short, 5-10 min. trips, so I drive across the highway to the pool so they can get out of the house & burn off energy. Yesterday I got in with my littlest ones having lessons and gently swam with them and that felt good. 

The Alove Vera Juice - good suggestion, I know where it's sold. So that helps with internal healing?  Interesting....

I did the slow walking often for the first 2 weeks, staying home, left the house only once to feel close to my daughter who is England - had to go hug and kiss her horse at the barn! I think that got my healing off to a good start, just walking back and forth to the bathroom, to the kitchen to have a quick meal with the kids.
I have learned a lot in the last couple of days here, though, about the Kefir and all the probiotics stuff, ordering the pills, still reading more, a wealth of info here....the Kombucha is new to me, but sounds like a drink we need around here.....have been sharing with my husband some things we should employ, "Bring it on!" he says. So that will begin today for me. Thanks!   :-*
~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
see my quilts and family at http://tinyurl.com/3q824
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:36:38 AM by healthybratt »
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
This looks for the right place for me to post. I didn't go through all the same things that annafogg1 did (I hope you are doing well Anna, and that you are back to being the the mom you were before the surgery ;) ), but I am looking for any recommendations anyone else has.  

I just had emergency surgery.  I had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my Fallopian tube.  I lost about a quart of blood, and I have a scar that I am guessing is very similar to a C-section scar.  I have had 7 healthy vaginal births(6 of them @ home), and I am not sure what went wrong this time (like why didn't the baby go into my womb).  I am trying to take it easy, but I have 7 kids, and we are getting ready to move.  I have been drinking black strap molasses, to get my Iron levels up, and taking chlorophyll.  I am also taking pro-biotics.  I have started wearing a tummy-wrap type thing to hold the scar, and keep it from bulging (and it feels very good). Can anyone tell me ways to get my muscle tone back, once the muscles have had a chance to recover.  And anything else I can do to aid in recovery.  I might give the AloeVera juice a try, (but it sounds kinda gross to me).  
Thanks in advance!
In HIM!
MommyGus

4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
Lou Paradise is a Vietnam Marine Vet that suffered carpal tunnel and back pain from yanking guys out of the jungle (apparently, it was stressful  :-\ ;)).
He developed this topical cream that acts as an anti-inflammatory, speeding healing of deep, inflamed tissue without going into the blood stream. Safe for pregnant and lactating mothers. He GAVE away samples after speaking to our group. I tried it with good results. He included product fact sheets listing all ingredients . . . Labeled to FDA standards so that Drs will use in post op cases. One of the best responses has been with post-op c-sections & women's surgeries.

All natural, herbal, topical safe and quite effective. VERY open man. Studied, knowledgeable, welcomed clinical questions about the product. It's called Topricin:
http://www.topicalbiomedics.com/our_products.php

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the link to the inside of the brochure to see the ingredients
http://www.topicalbiomedics.com/our_advertising.php
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:31:27 AM »
Thanks SC,

What kind of results did you have with it? Does it help heal the muscles? Does it reduce scaring? Is it only for pain relief?  I am not in pain, any more.  I don't know if we will ever have any more babies, but I could imagine pregnancy would be very stressful on the site of the incision, so I am hoping to be able to do everything I can to help it heal (even if don't have any more babies).  
In HIM!
MommyGus
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:34:32 AM by MommyGus »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »
Thanks SC,

What kind of results did you have with it? Does it help heal the muscles? Does it reduce scaring? Is it only for pain relief?  I am not in pain, any more.  I don't know if we will ever have any more babies, but I could imagine pregnancy would be very stressful on the site of the incision, so I am hoping to be able to do everything I can to help it heal (even if don't have any more babies). 
In HIM!
MommyGus

The action of the cream is to stimulate the drainage of the lymph system at the site, and turn off the inflammatory response so that the body can begin to heal itself. If the area is inflamed, this will aid healing AND offer pain relief. (If I understood correctly)

I found that it was helpful with lymph drainage, as I had been doing a lot of sitting through sessions and had some swelling from the sitting, and drinking less water, etc. Also, it helped a friend of mine with back pain within about -- oh, I don't know -- maybe 5 minutes?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Hey SC,

I tried the Topricin.  It didn't really do much for me, if anything it made it more painful.  My mom likes it though, she has been having knee pain, and it is helping her.  

Any other advice out there?

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:21:19 AM »
I'll be going in this afternoon for a c-section and was wondering what else I can do for quick and healthy healing.

I was thinking about taking cayenne afterward for any bleeding and pain.

I'll take aloe juice internally right away.  What does anyone think about putting aloe leaves on the incision site - maybe after the staples are pulled?  Any benefits to that?

I'm sure comfrey has tons of uses in this but I can't figure out waht they are - I've read that you shouldn't take it internally because of liver toxins and shouldn't use it externally on a deep wound or incision because it will heal the outer skin before the tissue underneath is healed.  Maybe comfrey is for later on in the process?

Any other post c-section remedies that worked for you would be great! 

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »
I think there is a thread on healing after a C-section or something like that.  Someone on it mentioned honey on the incision site.  Good luck with the C-section!
Mommygus

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »
(I know this is off topic, but I didn't have to have the c-section!!  Will be posting the birth story shortly!!)

I'll be going in this afternoon for a c-section and was wondering what else I can do for quick and healthy healing.

I was thinking about taking cayenne afterward for any bleeding and pain.

I'll take aloe juice internally right away.  What does anyone think about putting aloe leaves on the incision site - maybe after the staples are pulled?  Any benefits to that?

I'm sure comfrey has tons of uses in this but I can't figure out waht they are - I've read that you shouldn't take it internally because of liver toxins and shouldn't use it externally on a deep wound or incision because it will heal the outer skin before the tissue underneath is healed.  Maybe comfrey is for later on in the process?

Any other post c-section remedies that worked for you would be great! 

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
A good friend recently had major surgery, and I'm hoping to give her some good info for healing/adjusting.

She had this done:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/pancreatic-cancer/whippleprocedure.html

The Whipple procedure (pancreatoduodenectomy) is the most common operation performed for pancreatic cancer and may be used to treat other cancers such as small bowel cancer. Surgeons remove the head of the pancreas, most of the duodenum (a part of the small intestine), a portion of the bile duct and sometimes a portion of the stomach. After the pancreatoduodenectomy, the surgeon reconstructs the digestive tract. At Mayo Clinic, surgeons perform more than 100 Whipple procedures annually. Patients leave the hospital in an average of 14 days.

...not b/c she had cancer, but she did have a 20# non-cancerous tumor entangled in her pancreas, intestines, etc.  She had part of her pancreas removed, as well as her spleen, gall bladder, appendix and some of her intestines.

She is recuperating at home, and other than aloe vera juice to help heal internally, I'm not sure what suggestions to make.

Anyone?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
Yooper,

What about something like Emergen-C that's easy on her system to assimilate because it's a tea but will help boost her immune system?  The aloe vera is really the #1 thing that I think would be helpful.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
She's had a boat-load of antibiotics after surgery to a probiotic would be good.  Then an enzyme supplement of some variety may be helpful too.  I'm guessing that she's got some diet restrictions after surgery - maybe?  (Really low fats was our direction with Bicycle Boy after his pancreatic surgery.)  But I don't know what would be the best amounts/frequency for those things.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:13:34 AM »
Thank you for the sold recommendations.  Sometimes it's hard to consider the big picture. 

I think she's on some kind of enzymes, but I was surprised to hear nothing about diet yet.  She's keeping down about 700 calories a day, divided into small meals, and can get down 1 oz of water at a time.

I hope she gets some good feedback from Dr.s familiar w/ this kind of surgery/recovery.   :-\  She has 4 little ones...

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
I would recommend Dr. Christophers BF& C salve, I think it's called Complete Bone and Tissue now... It has lots of comfrey, plus other goodies and will heal internal organs through external applications if she isn't keen on drinking it.