Author Topic: (GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips  (Read 104612 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Re: (GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
What do you replace butter with? It's easy enough in baking but we eat either potatos or rice every night  always topped with butter. I just can't figure out how to eat a baked potato or steamed rice not topped with butter ???

We use Smart Balance LIGHT.  It's gluten and dairy free.  Not exactly as healthy as real butter, but it tastes good!  Make sure not to get regular Smart Balance though, it has dairy in it.  HTH  ;D
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
Depending on how allergic someone is to dairy, you can still use real butter.  We are all allergic to dairy in my house.  Everyone but my son can use real butter.  I don't completely understand except that because it's fat and doesn't have dairy "enzymes" in it we seems to be okay with it.  My son can't because anything that's even been near dairy makes him sick (including beef).  So it would depend on your family.  I use Smart Balance Light for my son and in all joint cooking.  I use butter on my rice, breads, etc. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
You can make ghee out of the butter and it's supposed to be better than plain butter?  I don't have to do that, but people on the anti-candida diet sometimes do that.

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #543 on: July 12, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
What do you replace butter with? It's easy enough in baking but we eat either potatos or rice every night  always topped with butter. I just can't figure out how to eat a baked potato or steamed rice not topped with butter ???

We use extra virgin olive oil and usually some fresh herbs. So good.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. As far as I can tell the kids are handling butter just fine but I thought I might cut it out also and see if I notice any changes.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #545 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
Well, I had my 15yo tested for allergies, and what do you know?  Wheat and "milk" come up.  Buckwheat, oats and rice do not.  So, thankfully, we're already on a wheat/gluten free diet.  We just have to eliminate the other diary stuff, like butter, cheese, sour cream etc.  I'm glad I checked out a few allergy cookbooks previously.  She's not allergic to eggs, though, which is good.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #546 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
I have a question.  Can people allergic to dairy eat ghee?  Should I cut out butter completely right now?  I'd have to buy Smart Balance Light (really expensive).  Someone told me she made ghee for her son and that the stuff you skim off is what they're allergic to. ??

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #547 on: August 05, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
I have a question.  Can people allergic to dairy eat ghee?  Should I cut out butter completely right now?  I'd have to buy Smart Balance Light (really expensive).  Someone told me she made ghee for her son and that the stuff you skim off is what they're allergic to. ??

I answered this in another thread.  You can try it.  It depends on her body.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
Hi Patti,  However, you didn't answer my other question, which I'm really worried about.  How do you find out what has gluten, other than the obvious stuff?  Is there a list out there of things or of brands that are gluten free, or have gluten in them?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #549 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:24 AM »
Hi Patti,  However, you didn't answer my other question, which I'm really worried about.  How do you find out what has gluten, other than the obvious stuff?  Is there a list out there of things or of brands that are gluten free, or have gluten in them?

I'm sorry.  I knew I missed one last night but when I went looking for it I couldn't find it again.   :P  Most gluten free stuff will say, "gluten free."  Otherwise, anything with barley (barley malt), oats (unless specifically GF oats), spelt, rye,  and wheat all have gluten.  So any forms of those things in ingredients will have gluten.  If you haven't tried Azure Standard for your shopping I highly recommend it.  From a cost standpoint they are hard to beat for healthy food.  You can find them at www.azurestandard.com.  You'll have to come up with a sign in to see prices but there's no charge for that and they don't email if you sign up just to look.  Matter of fact, they do no advertising via email so you don't have to worry about that.  They truck ship to a local drop point and you pick up from there.  Delivery is usually every two weeks or so. 

If you have specific foods you are trying to replace I might be able to give you brands names also - feel free to ask.

Any canned soups have gluten in them (they use flour to thicken them).  All packaged spice mixes.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Just really read labels. 

You know that saying that when you grocery shop it should always be in the outer ring of the store?  Well, that is totally true when it comes to a GF diet.  I almost never shop the inner aisles.  Maybe for ketchup and mustard or things like that, but basically, the only place I can shop is the entire outer ring - if that helps at all.   ::)

It's early here and I just woke up so let me see if I can come up with more stuff that might not be obvious as my brain wakes up.   ;D

patti

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »
Does anyone have a good gluten free cracker brand that I could possibly find?  My kindergartener needs some for snacks for school and he doesn't like the ones Sam's Club sells.  I don't blame him.  I don't either.  I think he may have accidently gotten some gluten in the form of Goldfish crackers.  That day, he had a couple of incidents, both involving disobedience.  The second time, he disobeyed and bit the teacher! Yikes!  She said she had given him his gluten free crackers, but he just informed me he doesn't like them.  So, I wonder if he finagled (is that a word??) some from a classmate or the assistant.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #551 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
Does anyone have a good gluten free cracker brand that I could possibly find?  My kindergartener needs some for snacks for school and he doesn't like the ones Sam's Club sells.  I don't blame him.  I don't either.  I think he may have accidently gotten some gluten in the form of Goldfish crackers.  That day, he had a couple of incidents, both involving disobedience.  The second time, he disobeyed and bit the teacher! Yikes!  She said she had given him his gluten free crackers, but he just informed me he doesn't like them.  So, I wonder if he finagled (is that a word??) some from a classmate or the assistant.

At one time Sams Club sold a multi-grain GF cracker that my family loved!  I haven't been able to find it in a long time though.  Otherwise, we use the Ener-g rice crackers which taste terrible.  There are some rice potato chips that are out now that are pretty darn good.  There's a plain rice and a honey dijon.  I think they would either be in the chip section of the store or the rice cake section.

patti

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »
I think our Sam's sells that multi-grain cracker (with sesame?) and he doesn't like it.  DD and DH do, but not the rest.  I'll have to check out Whole Foods, maybe.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #553 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:06 AM »
I found this great website for gluten/casein free diets and recipes - they do the menu planning and grocery lists for you, which is a big help for a busy mom! It's http://www.livingglutenfreecaseinfree.com/.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2009, 06:01:05 AM »
Another website that I recently came across is http://www.livingwithout.com  They have a list of substitutions for common items like dairy and eggs, as well as a number of different GF flour blends depending on the type of baking you're doing.  And they sell GF oats for cheaper than what I found on amazon.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #555 on: September 15, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
I looked and didn't see these anywhere.  Abbilynn makes fabulous Lara bars!   :-*

Abbilynn’s version of "Lara Bars"

My kids love them but they are expensive to buy so I decided to try and make them. You need a high powered blender or something similar to grind/mix them up. You can make whatever flavor you want. I always soak our almonds for 12 hours in water and a little salt first, then drain and dry them before using them. 

Coconut Bar
1 cup almonds
*you could also do 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup cashews instead*
1 1/4 cups pitted whole dates
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional if you want cocoa flavored)

Mix ingredients together in a bowl. Add to blender and blend until all ground up. If you find it's too dry, add a small bit of water to soften it up. Scoop into a dish lined with parchment paper and refrigerate until hard.

I tried to make some Lara Bars today, just going off my own idea of what they should be like. (Probably should have looked here first!) I love the cashew coconut flavor, and just put in the ingredients that were on the package. I didn't measure, but I probably used about 1 1/2 cups cashews, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1 1/2 cups dates, & 1/2 cup cocoa. They taste right, but they are super greasy. When I pressed them onto wax paper, I squeezed a bunch of oil out, and there was still some in there! I'm wondering if using the almonds would make them less oily? But do they still taste as good?
Also, after you make them and harden them in the refridgerator, do you have to store them in there? Or can they be left out? And how long are they good for? (I'm trying to figure out how much I want to make at one time.  :D )
Thanks, Andrea
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

YoopreMama

« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »
I tried to make some Lara Bars today, just going off my own idea of what they should be like. (Probably should have looked here first!) I love the cashew coconut flavor, and just put in the ingredients that were on the package. I didn't measure, but I probably used about 1 1/2 cups cashews, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1 1/2 cups dates, & 1/2 cup cocoa. They taste right, but they are super greasy. When I pressed them onto wax paper, I squeezed a bunch of oil out, and there was still some in there! I'm wondering if using the almonds would make them less oily? But do they still taste as good?
Also, after you make them and harden them in the refrigerator, do you have to store them in there? Or can they be left out? And how long are they good for? (I'm trying to figure out how much I want to make at one time.  :D )
HI!  :)

Mine were oily, but not excessively so.  I did use the almonds regularly and they are still tasty.  About how much oil did you use (or did I miss that)?

I stored mine in there b/c they kept their form better.  I think they'd last for quite awhile--we never have them longer than 24 hours.   ::)  I'll page Abbilynn to see what she says.  ;)

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
I didn't use any oil. I'm thinking it was probably the nuts. Cashews seem to be a little more oily than almonds. I think next time I will try them with almonds instead. Thanks!  8)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #558 on: September 16, 2009, 03:41:57 AM »
I didn't use any oil. I'm thinking it was probably the nuts. Cashews seem to be a little more oily than almonds. I think next time I will try them with almonds instead. Thanks!  8)

I think the ingredients you used would work okay if you lessen the amount of cashews and upped the amount of dates.  Lara bars are mostly dates with a few things added in.  Next time maybe try 2 cups dates and 1/2 cup cashews and see what the consistency is.  I've never used cashews bc my son is allergic to them, I've only used almonds or walnuts.  They should be fine though.   :)

As far as storing them, they would be okay to leave in a tightly sealed container out of the fridge.  There isn't anything in them that would spoil.  But, like Jen said, ours never last long enough to have to store! LOL   ;D 

Let us know how it works out.  HTH ;D

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #559 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
These websites and info may already be on here, but in case not, here is a little I've found as I'm starting on a casein free diet. 
www.livingwithout.com for GF and some CF recipes.  Substitutions, flour blends, etc.
www.pecanbread.com for SCD recipes.  All recipes are dairy-free.  Even icecream!
I've confirmed that these products that contain lactic acid starter culture are all CF:
Rudi's Organic bread
Hormel Natural Choice Sandwich Meat (GF)
Bistro Naturals (by John Morrell) uncured hotdogs (GF, no MSG)

And many of the Jones Dairy Farm sausage products are GF and CF.  I haven't contacted Kraft Foods yet about their O.M. uncured bacon, but I'm assuming the lactic acid starter culture in it is non-dairy, as the other one are that I've checked on (Hormel and Bistro).
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #560 on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »
Anyone know where to get sorghum flour "cheap"?  Can you get it as a grain and grind it.  That would be my preferable choice.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:47 AM »
Anyone know where to get sorghum flour "cheap"?  Can you get it as a grain and grind it.  That would be my preferable choice.

I get mine from azure standard.   http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=FL089 .  You have to create an acct. using a password and screen name in order to see the prices.  But this seems pretty cheap.  Amazon.com may also carry it in bulk.

patti

YoopreMama

« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
I've posted that I get a 30# bucket of grain for $15 plus shipping from Twin Valley Mills in NE.  Averages $1/#.

www.twinvalleymills.com

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2009, 07:40:24 AM »
An excellent biscuit recipe.  I made some substitutions to suit our other food allergies, and they turned out great, though the dough was too thin, so the biscuits were a little flat.  I'll reduce the liquid a little next time.

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/light-and-fluffy-gluten-free-biscuits/
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #564 on: September 27, 2009, 06:25:58 AM »
i THINK this recipe is gluten free???? maybe someone can enlighten me....i will post it on the candida recipes too.........

http://wholeapproachforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9356011311/m/1361075434

they sound really good!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

YoopreMama

« Reply #565 on: September 27, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
I have this one bookmarked, too.  Looks GF to me.  :)

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #566 on: September 27, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
i THINK this recipe is gluten free???? maybe someone can enlighten me....i will post it on the candida recipes too.........

http://wholeapproachforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9356011311/m/1361075434

they sound really good!

I've made these.  They turned out pretty good, but the kids didn't like them.  I just have really picky kids. 

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #567 on: September 30, 2009, 01:33:36 AM »
? about casein free.  If a product has lactic acid starter culture, is that also a no-no, ie pepperoni or sausage?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #568 on: September 30, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
? about casein free.  If a product has lactic acid starter culture, is that also a no-no, ie pepperoni or sausage?

This depends on how bad the person's allergy to dairy is.  My DS is EXTREMELY allergic to dairy.  If he gets a drop of even butter he's totally incontinent for a month.  However, he can have these things and they don't affect him.  So as bad as my DS's  dairy allergy is they are fine for him.  Short of experimenting you really won't know.  If you experiment you want to look for unobvious things like mood swings, excessive thirst, excessive tiredness, etc.  It's such a small amount of lactic acid in those foods that there won't be huge reactions.  They will be mild and subtle and could be hard to pinpoint.  In our house, if we see any change in behavior (our son is pretty steady in his attitudes/behaviors) then we know he can't have that food. 

patti

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #569 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:48 AM »
Does anyone have a cheese sauce recipe like for mac and cheese?  It doesn't have to be gluten free, but doesn need to be wheat free. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."