Author Topic: Edema, Water Retention & Swelling: Causes & Cures  (Read 35272 times)

Offline applesofgold

• Learning
Edema, Water Retention & Swelling: Causes & Cures
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:15 AM »
Hi.  I hope someone can give me some help.  My dh has swelling in his lower legs that leaves dents when pressed.  I know this is called pitting edema. 
When he takes his boots & socks off, it's there and stays there for a bit.  If I press my finger on it, it dents for several seconds.
He's 36, about 10 lbs overweight, but is very active. 
He is going to the doctor just to get some bloodwork done. If they prescribe diuretics, he won't take them.  We want to know the cause & deal with it, not treat the symptom and develop side effects from drugs.
I've been reading The Maker's Diet and we've changed the way we eat considerably.
He was born with club feet which were corrected, but has a lot of problems with tendonitis because of his ankles and flat feet & lasting effects of club feet.
He's always had pain in his ankles(his ortho DR says he also has arthritic changes), lower calves and his feet, but I don't know what to do or where to go to learn what to do for this.
I am looking into cod liver oil now for the arthritis and for his joint health.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!  Holly
Nothing is worthwhile if the seed of eternity is not in it.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Edema, Water Retention & Swelling: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:24:46 AM »
I apologize in advance for the length of what is to follow. It is a recommendation that I made to a woman who was suffering from joint pain caused by osteoarthritis. The document includes source material. Also, I make reference to a local health food store called 14 Carrot Whole Foods. You can purchase from them on line. However, I use them for convenience. For highest quality and best price, I haven't found anyone that can match The Bulk Herb Store. I use many reference books and use my own judgement as to what recommendations are sound. You should do the same when using reference material.

SUPPLEMENT YOUR DIET WITH THE FOLLOWING
A.
Start taking 3 tablespoons of Black Cherry Juice Concentrate daily. I use Tree of Life brand. It can be found at 14 Carrot Whole Foods for $9.99 for 16 ounces. In the book, Heinerman’s Encyclopedia of Healing Juices by John Heinerman, use of cherry juice has been found to reduce and sometimes completely relieve the pain associated with arthritis when taken over time. It’s properties will also help support your kidney.

p. 81   “Cherries are a natural cleansing agent to help flush such acid poisons from the system by stimulating activity in the kidneys, bladder, and colon where most discharge of wastes takes place.”

You can take this in a variety of ways. It is a full-bodied syrup. I put it in a morning cereal that I make for my family, but you could dilute it into a beverage (follow label directions) or just take it straight from the bottle. My husband used to have PAINFUL feet. We think he had spurs. Since he has started taking Black Cherry juice, the pain has left him.

B. Cayenne pepper capsules, one with breakfast and one with evening meal. Start with a low heat unit of these (40,000 or less). You can increase the heat unit if you wish. I use Solaray brand 100,000 Heat Unit, but I only take one per day. 100 capsules are $10.49.

Be sure to take this WITH FOOD. This means you take a few bites first and then the capsule. If you forget to do this, the capsule will open in your empty stomach and be a jolt to your system. My husband once forgot to do this and broke out in a hot sweat. Let’s just say his pipes were quickly cleared for the day.

These capsules are filled with powdered Cayenne peppers. I do not recommend trying the “cooled” versions or taking the extract capsaicin. These have been through processes that rob the fruit of its full benefits. The capsules allow you to get the Cayenne past your taste buds without discomfort. If you find that twice per day is too much, go back to just one at breakfast. If for some reason, you get the powder on your skin, rinse it off right away. The powder won’t damage your skin or eyes, but it WILL BURN like fire.

Why Cayenne pepper?

Left For Dead, by Dick Quinn
p.92 “How I have avoided rheumatism and arthritis
“Arthritis and rheumatism are not diseases, they are symptoms, and can have many causes.
“Cayenne brings blood to my joints and muscles, so they stay warm and flexible. It’s especially helpful when I have to drive a long distance or spend hours sitting and cannot walk to stimulate circulation in my legs and feet.”

C. Check your daily vitamins. Eliminate those with additional iron and consume more green leafy vegetables to give you iron. Often the iron in supplements is not a whole-food iron and cannot be properly assimilated by the human system, resulting in elevated levels of iron.

“Do not take iron supplements, or a multivitamin containing iron. Iron is suspected of being involved in pain, swelling, and joint destruction. Consume iron in foods instead. Good sources include blackstrap molasses, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, fish, lima beans, and peas.” (Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Second Edition, by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.)

D. Drink a morning hot tea of fresh garlic, distilled water and apple cider vinegar.

To make this, finely chop 1 tsp of fresh garlic. Don’t chop more than you need, but store the remaining clove in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Place the garlic in a glass jar and boil 1 cup distilled water (I get this from Walmart, .64/Gal.). When the water comes to a boil, add it to the jar, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Pour through a sieve into your cup. Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and RAW HONEY (not pasteurized, C.E. Ward, $10/qt. at 14 Carrot) to taste.

This tea will take care of congestion. Surprisingly, this tea tastes good and my children drink it. I make sure to give them some to drink just before we are exposed to a crowd or after we have been around anyone with sickness. It tastes sort of like warm, sweet pickle juice.

In addition to its other benefits, Garlic is useful in the treatment of Arthritis as is Apple Cider Vinegar. Raw Honey will help you if you are dealing with any allergies. It is a whole food and will not wreak havoc on your blood sugar when used as a sweetener. Be careful, though, not to overdo it.

The How To Herb Book, by Velma J. Keith and Monteen Gordon
Garlic
p.31 “Garlic is called nature’s antibiotic. It contains allicin, [Fragile component found only in raw garlic. Garlic supplements lose this when processed.) a natural antibiotic. 1 milligram of Allicin has a potency of 15 standard units of Penicillin. It is effective against toxic bacteria, viruses, and fungus. Garlic contains more germanium, an anti-cancer agent, than any other herb. In tests with mice and rats, garlic fed to groups developed no cancer – where non-garlic fed groups developed some cancers. In Russia, garlic was found to retard tumor growth in humans.

-- active against staphylococcus and E. coli bacteria.
p. 32 -- protects against infection
           -- has detoxifying effect on all the body systems.
           -- improves, tones, and strengthens entire physical condition
           -- builds endurance and energy
           -- strengthens body defenses against allergens
           -- equalizes blood pressure, high or low.
           -- has a sugar regulating factor.
           Useful in treatment of arthritis

p. 148 Cider Vinegar
“The best kind of cider vinegar is the kind aged in wood, not chemically aged. It is good to have on hand as it is used in many internal and external remedies.
 -- a good food to add to your diet. It contains minute quantities of minerals and a mild acidity that balances and aids our digestion. The acetic acid and potassium content help to activate the good bacteria in digesting food and deter harmful bacteria in the intestines. Consequently, as we better assimilate the food we eat, we will be healthier. Has been used for arthritis, asthma, calcium assimilation, constipation, coughs (inhale in steamer), diarrhea, gout, hay fever, heartburn, laryngitis, mouthwash, rheumatism, shingles (externally and internally), sore throats.”

E. Drink an evening tea made of equal parts Chamomile, Passion Flower, and Valerian.
This is a very relaxing tea and will make you sleepy. Just get your evening chores all done, put on your pajamas and curl up with your tea to relax before bedtime. To make the tea, bring a cup of distilled water to a boil. Place 1 or 2 teaspoons of the mixed herbs in your cup. Add the boiling water, cover with a saucer and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes.

You can pour your tea through a sieve into another cup to drink. Some people haven’t any problem drinking their tea with the leaves at the bottom. 14 Carrot also has some stainless steel “tea balls” that you can purchase for convenience. The leaves can be placed into these balls and water poured over them in a cup. They are reusable and come in a small size for a cup ($1.69, small; $2.09, med) or a large size for a tea pot ($2.49).

Sweeten to taste with honey or Stevia powder ($8/100 packets NOW brand is what we use).

Chamomile and Passion Flower are known as Analgesics when taken internally. An Analgesic is a substance that reduces the sensation of pain according to Practical Herbalism, by Philip Fritchey, MH, ND, CNHP. Chamomile also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Passion Flower is a nervine (easing anxiety and tension by soothing both body and mind), and a hypotensive (lowers abnormally elevated blood pressure. “Adding valerian to other herb formulas enhances their tonic, antispasmodic and nervine properties” (Left For Dead, by Dick Quinn). These will not put you to sleep, but simply help you to relax. They are non-addictive and are foods.

I will warn you that Valerian smells like very nasty old gym shoes. Everyone can tell when the jar has been opened in the store. You will want to keep it in an air-tight, sealed container. It is a testimony to its effectiveness that people use it in spite of the smell. It does not have an unpleasant taste.

You can purchase these from the aisle with canisters containing the herbs loose at 14 Carrot. You measure the amount you want into small bags for checkout. Another alternative is to purchase the individual teas in tea-bags on the aisle with herbal teas. You’ll have to open the bags and mix the herbs. Start with a small amount to last just a few days to see how you like the mix. Once you get started, you can purchase the ingredients by the pound (this is cheaper) at www.TheBulkHerbStore.com. You can print out their order form and mail your order in if you prefer.

F. Use DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) as a topical application for symptomatic pain. (14 Carrot has this in a roll on form)

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Second Edition, by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.
p. 51   DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) – use only health food store grade – not that found in home improvement stores
“Applying DMSO on sprained ankles, pulled muscles, dislocated joints, and even at the site of simple fractures can virtually elimate the pain. It also promoted immune system activity.
 DMSO is absorbed through the skin and enters the bloodstream by osmosis through capillary walls. It is then distributed through the circulatory system, and ultimately excreted through the urine. It has been used successfully in the treatment of brain and spinal cord damage; arthritis, Down syndrome, sciatica and other back problems, keloids, acne, burns, musculoskeletal problems, sports injuries, cancer, cinusitis, headaches, skin ulcers, herpes, and cataracts.

G. Drink 2 cups of Burdock, Nettle Leaf, & Dandelion Leaf decoction daily. Brew 1 quart every 2 days & keep refrigerated.
Again, these dried herbs can be found at 14 Carrot. I recommend using the dried herbs versus the processed supplements.

To make the decoction, mix Burdock, Nettle Leaf and Dandelion Leaf in equal parts. Put 2 Tablespoons of the mixture in a quart sized canning jar. Add distilled water to the herbs stopping one inch below the rim and put the lid on the jar. Use a large pot, place the canning jar in the pot and add water from your tap. You want to have the water lint above the half-way mark of the jar. Remove the jar from the pot and place a folded (flat) dish towel or rag in the water on the bottom of the pot to protect your jar from direct heat. Place the jar with herbs back in the pot on top of the cloth and place this on the stove. Heat to a slight, gentle boil (not a rolling boil) and let it cook at that temperature for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool, store in the refrigerator. Drink with honey or Stevia powder as a sweetener.

Decoctions should be made as they are needed for use. Keep only 3 days in the refrigerator.

Store your dry herbs in a dark, cool place in an air tight container. The refrigerator will keep them nicely. I keep my herbs in zippered plastic bags in containers in my cabinet.

Practical Herbalism, by Philip Fritchey, MH, ND, CNHP
p. 109 – 113 Burdock
p. 113 “For its blood cleansing effects to be maximized, Burdock needs to be used consistently over an extended period. Even though relief from many toxic blood conditions is usually promptly seen and felt, the herb should be taken for at least three months to normalize the system.”
Good in combination with Nettles & Dandelion

For the swelling in his feet, I cannot recommend highly enough Mama's Red Raspberry brew. Click here to see how I prepare it for my family. This is a natural diuretic and will not deplete your system of precious electrolites, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.

Also for the swelling, consider adding a skin brushing to his daily routine. This is a simple, 5-minute activity that helps to stimulate lymphatic activity and move some of that fluid from his extremeties. I got this information from The Colon Health Handbook by Robert Gray (my booklet cost about eight dollars).

For this, you will use a long handled, bath-type brush with natural vegetable bristles. Keep it dry and pass it over every part of your body except the face. This is a single sweeping motion, not a scrub -- like you would brush your fur if you had fur. Move from the extremeties to the center of your body, towards your abdomen. For example, from finger tips to shoulder (both sides), from feet to thighs, from shoulders to lower back, etc. This can be done once or twice per day. For me, I find that it will give me an extra boost of energy, so I don't skin brush before bed.

Finally, I would recommend an evaluation of his water intake. If there is swelling, it is likely that he is consuming a high ratio of salt to water. Don't try to correct this imbalance by reducing his water, or by decreasing his salt, but by increasing his water intake. This will help hydrate his system so that it can better flush any toxins that he is dealing with. The formula for how much water to drink is to divide his body weight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water. Add 1/4 tsp of sea salt to each quart of water consumed. Salt is necessary as it helps cells in your body function properly. As far as other beverages are concerned, he should do his best to eliminate coffee, tea, caffeinated cola drinks, alcohol, beer, etc. These are artificial diuretics and will cause your body to react with an attempt to retain the precious fluid being lost when you consume them. Water, the Ultimate Cure by Steme Meyerowitz.

I am sorry if all of this is overwhelming, but I had the information on hand and thought it would be of help. God bless.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:40:19 AM »
Hi.  I hope someone can give me some help.  My dh has swelling in his lower legs that leaves dents when pressed.  I know this is called pitting edema....
I am looking into cod liver oil now for the arthritis and for his joint health.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!  Holly

Okay, first of all, does he have any other symptoms (health problems)?  If he has arthritis, there's a good chance he is suffering from candidiasis and leaky gut syndrom as arthritis is an autoimmune disorder which is caused by holes in the lining of the gut.  The nutrients that we are supposed to absorb leak through the gut and send the immune system on a rampage.  I would recommend you read the thread on Leaky Gut and see if he has any other of the listed symptoms.  I would recommend treating for this.  The Cod Liver Oil is a good start, but it probably won't be enough.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:41:37 AM »
According to the Prescription for Natural Healing Manual it states that tendinitis is often confused with bursitis.  They go hand in hand and mimic each other.  What is interesting is that with bursitis it states that there is often swelling and fluid accumulation(edema).  Did a doctor diagnose him?  Perhaps, he was misdiagnosed?  It also states that fluid retention can be caused by allergies.
Tendinitis:  inflammation of the tendons, usually caused by strain.  It is found most commonly in the shoulders, hips, Achilles tendons, or hamstrings. 
]Bursitis[/:  usually characterized by a dull, persistent ache that increases with movement, whereas tendinitis typically causes a sharp pain on movement.  This condition is usually worse at night.

It also states under the edema section that if your ankles and feet result in small "pits"  consult your doctor, for this is a sign of a serious health problem such as:  cirrhosis of the liver, congestive heart failure, diabetes, or vena cava syndrom(narrowing of the vein that supplies blood from upper body to the heart)
That's not a good sign, when an alternative health manual recommends you see a doctor.  If you want to go natural, I would suggest a cleans, particularly a fast/liver cleanse to go along with the Maker's diet.  Perhaps, a green food such as alfalfa or spirulina would be good, for they powerful detoxifiers. 
Herbs for edema include:  butcher's broom, dandelion root, horsetail, juniper berries, lobelia, marshmallow, parsley, and pau d'arco. (do not take lobellia internally on a daily basis)
Hope this helps and let us know what works for him.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:15:26 AM »
I'd recomend parsely too, like HiO has in her herbs for edema list. Parsely tea (2-3 cups a day) helps by flushing the kidneys. You can make it by steeping fresh parsely.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
I have a friend who has swelling in her legs. She juices her own veggies. She said that whenever she juices carrots the swelling leaves.

She told her dr about this and she asked, "Does the swelling go down when you elevate your legs?" When my friend told her it did, the dr said, "Then there is nothing to worry about."

Does anyone know what it would be in the carrot juice that is helping her? We would like to find a supplement that would take its place because it is a pain to have to juice daily.

P.S. She is beyond childbearing yrs so this is not a pregnancy issue   ;D
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »
It could be yeast/fungus. Carrot juice is an antifungal. It's not a real strong antifungal but it is an antifungal. Yeast/fungus can cause water retention. I have serious problems with yeast & have major problems with water retention. ANYTIME I start taking antifungals (anti yeast) again after not taking them for a while I know I will lose water weight. Time after time I have eaten LOTS of roasted garlic w/dinner (like half a bulb- gives me heartburn for a while but SOOOO.... good) & I spend half the night peeing- even when I don't think I'm retaining water. Here is a thread that explains a lot about it:

Ankle Pain and Swelling: I need help.

Here are some threads to learn more about yeast/fungus:

Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
Natural Antifungals
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:55:16 PM »
thanks a bunch
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:06:01 AM »
Ok, my symptom is somewhat related to this thread, so I'll post this here. Maybe it should be under "Diagnose me, please?"

We worked all day long Monday bent over, but mostly kneeling, attaching cable ties to remesh for our basement floor. Near the end of the day, I realized my left arm was swollen from the elbow to the wrist. I'm right handed. I could continue to work and only one time when I pushed on my hands to stand up, did that left arm/wrist hurt.

When I got home that night I started taking some store bought stinging nettle capsules and homemade cayenne capsules, thinking I needed a diuretic. I got a little relief, but it's still bad today. When I press on my fingernails on that hand, the pink returns quickly. When I press a finger into my arm, there is NO denting and the color returns quickly.

This skin is tight and it's just weird. I've retained water when pregnant and evne when not preg., and usually had swollen feet and/or ankles. This has me stumped. It's not terribly uncomfortable and I've had no more sharp pain since pushing up on both hands to stand up on Monday.

Any ideas? Oh, and we don't see any evidence for a possible spider bite anywhere on that arm. I have no idea how long I should wait for it to get back to normal on its own, or what I should try at home and I really don't want to see a doc.

My Dh wondered if dealing w/ the remesh (like a wire fence) could give me tetanus? It was bought rusty at the home store. I didn't get punctured w/ it anywhere, but did get a bloody cuticle on my right hand while tying all those cable ties. I don't think it could be tetanus and can't recall my last tetanus shot and don't know if I ever want another one.

Sorry to ramble. I just wanted to present as much info as I could to try to pick your brains.  ;)

TIA.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »
And would skin brushing help or hurt the situation? (Adding this and ok, I admit it! Bumping it too!)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
hi all, looking for some ideas.  my hubby and i have been doing the low carb diet, and last night took the kids to a movie. so he took yesterday "off" and just ate whatever he wanted.  i wonder if he ate too much salt, cuz he ate a large bucket of popcorn, and said something about having velveeta cheese dip with chips at work.  last night he felt crappy, so i gave him lemon water.  so this am, his feet were swollen and tonight they are really bad.  he has had extra kombucha today and lemon water tonight.  he had his usual espresso, and probably quite a few large 32 oz. glasses of water.  anything else i can do?  i am kinda worried that this might be serious, but trying to come up with a reason and other things i can do for him.  thanks gals, ya'll are the best.   :) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
4myhoonie- could the carbs have fed yeast/fungus & the yeast fungus is what's causing it? If so, anifungals would help. Read reply #6 for info about yeast/fungus causing my water retention. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
4myhoonie- could the carbs have fed yeast/fungus & the yeast fungus is what's causing it? If so, anifungals would help. Read reply #6 for info about yeast/fungus causing my water retention. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

hi herbalmom, thanks!  i just gave him your advice, and he took his yeast assasin, and we will roast some garlic for supper!   ;D  thanks a bunch!  (he will listen to you)  ;) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
Since cleansing, I swell everytime I eat processed food.  I'm not sure of the exact cause (which ingredient or chain reaction does it), I just know it happens everytime I eat something that I didn't make.   :P

I recently made a tea to help with a bout of water retention that helped alot.  Just some herbs I had on hand with diuretic properties. 

1T Horsetail
1T Plantain
1T Mullein
1T Catnip
2T Peppermint
(Just for a kick I also added 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp of cayenne)

This brewed made 1/2 Gallon of tea.  It worked marvelously, but I didn't research any possible side effects or herb mixing.  I usually just wing it.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:58:49 AM »
Since cleansing, I swell every time I eat processed food.  I'm not sure of the exact cause (which ingredient or chain reaction does it), I just know it happens every time I eat something that I didn't make.   :P

geez HB, that sucks!  i really thought that after the yeast regimen was done and we had it under control, we would be able to eat "unhealthy" food in moderation (such as eating at someone's home or a gathering) without repercussions.  i just thought our bodies could handle it better at that point.   :P  i hope that is not the case for us.   :-\  maybe that means you're not "done"?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:09:02 AM »
Since cleansing, I swell every time I eat processed food.  I'm not sure of the exact cause (which ingredient or chain reaction does it), I just know it happens every time I eat something that I didn't make.   :P

geez HB, that sucks!  i really thought that after the yeast regimen was done and we had it under control, we would be able to eat "unhealthy" food in moderation (such as eating at someone's home or a gathering) without repercussions.  i just thought our bodies could handle it better at that point.   :P  i hope that is not the case for us.   :-\  maybe that means you're not "done"?
Well, so long as I resume healthy eating immediately after (the next day), the swelling usually recedes fairly quickly, but if I happen to go on a 2 or 3 day binge (away from home, low groceries, etc), I usually have to use something to help my body process it along faster for comfort's sake.

I think that when you cleanse, all of your body's normal toxicity monitors work better, so instead of looking at it as if your body is not handling it well, I would look at it as if your alarms are just working better.

If your liver is clogged and your gut is leaky then you start having problems like IBS, fatigue, brain fog, PCOS, etc.  IMO a wee bit of edema to warn me of possible body upset is way better than the other possible eventualities.

If you had a fire alarm installed in your house, you wouldn't think it worked better if it went off after the house was already half burned to the ground.  KWIM?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
If your liver is clogged and your gut is leaky then you start having problems like IBS, fatigue, brain fog, PCOS, etc.  IMO a wee bit of edema to warn me of possible body upset is way better than the other possible eventualities.
any chance you could elaborate on this?

If you had a fire alarm installed in your house, you wouldn't think it worked better if it went off after the house was already half burned to the ground.  KWIM? LOL!  i guess so!

do you mean that the edema would be a warning, but if you started having leaky gut symptoms again, then it would be a sign you weren't done cleansing?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
If your liver is clogged and your gut is leaky then you start having problems like IBS, fatigue, brain fog, PCOS, etc. IMO a wee bit of edema to warn me of possible body upset is way better than the other possible eventualities.
any chance you could elaborate on this?

If you had a fire alarm installed in your house, you wouldn't think it worked better if it went off after the house was already half burned to the ground.  KWIM? LOL!  i guess so!

do you mean that the edema would be a warning, but if you started having leaky gut symptoms again, then it would be a sign you weren't done cleansing?
This could be the case, but what I'm getting at is that if your body is healthy, the symptoms and signals will be different, less severe and more easily reversible than if you have a damaged immune system.

If you have bad liver, leaky gut, and autoimmunity, and you eat bad food, you probably won't get edema or hives because your filter/alarm system is already broken and everything is probably leaking through your gut into your blood BUT eat bad food with a fully functional/on alert immune system & functional digestive system (with no leaks) and bells, signals and alarms will go full (hives, swelling, cramps, etc) to let you know to stop eating that food before it's too late.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
Hi, I wanted to share this theory I had about edema during my last pregnancy. I just "developed" this theory a week before the baby was born and didn't get to try it out. Maybe someone else can try it out for me :) just to satisfy my curiosity.

I was reading in the Bradley book (mine was called "Husband Coached Childbirth" - an old version I think - great book - wish I'd read it 4 pregnancies ago) and he recommends certain exercises during pregnancy, and one is "pelvic rocking"  - http://www.birthingnaturally.net/exercise/preg/pelvicrock.html.  He says this will take pressure off the kidneys and liver. I think these exercises would have helped me with swelling.

I know that my lower spine is weak because it arches in a lot during pregnancy.  I am small-boned and lanky and my belly gets absolutely huge during pregnancy - and all up front. I was very swollen and nettle only helped some. I was using probably 1/4 - 1/2 cup of powdered nettle in a tea every day (accidentally ordered powdered) yet the swelling was still starting to go to my face and was in every part of my body, back, butt, everywhere. I gained 45 pounds and lost 30 in the first week postpartum, and I know that was a lot of water. My blood pressure was not high so I don't think it had to do with pre-eclampsia. I was thinking that if my spine were stronger and were holding my uterus off of my kidneys better, my kidneys may have been able to function better and get rid of all that water.

Also, I don't think my liver was functioning as well as it should have. I felt like my digestion was slow the whole pregnancy, I spent the last couple months and some weeks postpartum with very itchy skin, and have felt like I am really detoxing ever since having the baby 9 weeks ago. Also, to my dismay, I noticed a liver spot on my hand the other day. So that would further my theory that my uterus was putting lots of pressure on my internal organs and inhibiting them somewhat.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:06:17 PM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

This could very well be a good theory.  I did a lot of hip rocking exercises with my second child and didn't have edema like I did with my first.  I am sure nettle tea helps tremendously, too.  So perhaps both done together would be very beneficial.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
I found I had to urinate soon after lying down. Especially when I did the pelvic exercises to reduce congestion in the pubic/pelvic area. First I thought getting up soon after going to bed was from that last glass of water, but it was not. I would purposely lie on the couch before going to bed (and to sleep  :D) I hated having to wake up and having to go only to realize I had gone to bed 10-15 minutes before.  ::)

Lover-of-Beauty

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
My Mum has water retention (she's 60), and I'd like to try and address it for her, as the last month it has got more "severe" including pain and discomfort. It affects both legs, but especially round the ankles - very swollen.

I think we need to look at a lot of things health wise for her (including a liver cleanse, as she has liver spots), but I can only make suggestions, and hope that she will follow through.

So.....all that to say: Would a herbal diuretic be a good idea, as long as she was making sure to get enough Potassium? I have the opportunity to buy some Juniper berries, but I also have Dandelion for free in our back yard - any suggestions as to whether Juniper would be superior in this case?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it's such a blessing!

Offline Aaf3

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
this is wonderful!  thank you for posting this.  I am going to add at least the acv honey garlic tea to my routine and slowly start incorporating some of your other suggestions.