Author Topic: Dark Spots on Toddler's Teeth  (Read 12242 times)

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
Dark Spots on Toddler's Teeth
« on: November 09, 2007, 06:33:47 AM »
It seems that my children's teeth have some tiny dark grey/black spots along their gum line in the front of their bottom teeth and behind the front teeth (not on the gum line). 

Their tooth gel (store bought) is just a tooth/gum cleaner and safe for them to practice brushing, but not very abrasive.

I give them wholesome foods, with the occasional ice cream treat or so.

We brush their teeth at night.

I first noticed this on my 2yr old.  Now all of them have this.  I try to use the a more abrasive toothpaste and it seems to help get the stuff off after several intense brushings (but even then, it doesn't come off completely)... is their anything that can help them without hurting their teeth?
thanks

Offline Kathy

• Learning
Re: Dark Spots on Toddler's Teeth
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:01:13 PM »
Yikes! I have never heard of this but I am a big fan of raw milk when it comes to anything having to do with teeth, especially. I just posted about it under crumbling teeth before I read yours.  It has been a real toothe saver for my 8yo.  Check out Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions, and the book by weston price called Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.  A real testimony to what a good diet can do--and what constitutes a good diet-- lots of cool pictures of people untouched by sugar and white flour, (or toothbrushes) with perfect teeth and jaw structure.  Also few fertility, weight, illness problems.  The diet was the difference.
Hope this helps, and I hope you will let us know what the spots are if you find out! Puzzling.  Best wishes, Kathy

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:03 AM »
My oldest daughter has what the dentist calls tooth freckles. Its two little dark spots on her two bottom teeth. He says its just the way her teeth came in and its fine.

I have a question though....My baby who just turned 1 has four teeth and the other day i was nursing her and when she let go and smiled i noticed a tiny yellow stain on each of her two top teeth. It looked like a little peace of corn so i tried to scratch it off. Its in the tooth though. I was outside nursing so maybe its always been there and i never noticed before but did that day because the sun was shinning on her. I brush her teeth with this little baby toothbrush that you put on your finger. I hope its not the start of a cavity. Anyone know what it could be?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:05 PM »
It has been about 18 months since I read NT by Sally Fallon and our diets have changed as a result...we now have grassfed meat and dairy cows, our own chicken/eggs, and recently got the ok from my husband to go organic (after starting to read the book Seeds of Deception.  We have been using raw milk for about 8 months now.

I think I am just going to have to consult a dentist and do more research.
thank you

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
It's been about a year, here is what is going on...
The dentist looked at her teeth and said there is some discoloration, but that can happen with baby teeth.  About the spots, just keep brushing.  That is it.

My daughter will turn 5 in January and she lost two of her bottom teeth (middle).  I think it is a bit early for her to lose her teeth...I hope to talk to our dentist and pediatrician before the week is out.

As for the black spots...I picked up a book called What to Expect The Toddler Years  (same authors of the What to Expect When You're Expecting).  On pg 493 and 494 it mentions black spots and what  causes them.  Basically, it seems to me that it is the beginning of decay on the tooth enamel.  Also, premature loss of primary teeth may indicate a problem.

I inspected one of the teeth that fell out.  All seems fine.  I will have to do some more inquiring and observing though.  Especially about losing her teeth so young.
Good night all.
I'll check in with you all after awhile.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
It seems to me that sounds like dental flourosis.  It can look different on different people.  You can even get it just from bathing in flourodated water, or drinking tea (just true tea- it absorbs a lot of flouride, and is often grown in areas where there is a lot of natural flouride.  Incidentally, the locals often have dental flourosis).

It can appear as splotchyness, swirlyness, or pronounced yellow or brown lines across the two front teeth.  You can google pictures of it.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.