Author Topic: can you freeze kefir and use it later for baking?  (Read 4893 times)

Offline faith

• Adept
can you freeze kefir and use it later for baking?
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:45:05 AM »
I was wondering if you can freeze kefir? Because we are going on a candida diet for 2 weeks, and i do not want to throw it away.We are trying to clean the refridgerater. and i now that i can freeze bread, but i do not want to throw away the kefir.Thank You! Any help would be appreiceated! Faith and Yasmine

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
Re: can you freeze kefir and use it later for baking?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
I was wondering if you can freeze kefir? Because we are going on a candida diet for 2 weeks, and i do not want to throw it away.We are trying to clean the refridgerater. and i now that i can freeze bread, but i do not want to throw away the kefir.Thank You! Any help would be appreiceated! Faith and Yasmine
Faith,
I have heard and/or read that kefir will stay good in your fridge for up to 6 months. So it should be ok to leave it for 2 weeks.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: can you freeze kefir and use it later for baking?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
I'm assuming you are talking about kefir and not the grains.  I don't think freezing it will hurt it.  Even if all the bacteria do not remain intact, it won't "spoil".  I think it will keep it's nutritional qualities in the freezer, but of course, I'm not 100% sure on that; however like KellyJ said, you should just be able to push it to the back of your fridge and ignore it for awhile.  It may get a bit more sour than before, but it will still work wonderfully in biscuits, bread, pancakes, etc.  You can still drink it too, if you can handle the "tart".

If you are speaking of the grains, you can also ignore them for a bit in the back of the fridge.  There's more info on freezing the grains for long term in this thread.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5541.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!