Author Topic: How do I reattach gums to teeth after gum recession?  (Read 26080 times)

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
How do I reattach gums to teeth after gum recession?
« on: October 29, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »
My tooth has had the gum receding for years, but it just seperated. I don't know what caused it, I think I might have done something to it because a few days ago I noticed pain in the gum area. Upon inspection I saw what appeared to be a small cut along where it used to attach, which was bleeding. I took care of it and it stopped bleeding and now looks really good, no redness. But it is a little puffy and it has clearly seperated from the tooth, leaving the top of the root exposed. The tooth and root are not hurting.

For the past year I have been brushing with soap, no glycerine. (No flouride, no SLS for 3 yrs. I have been supplementing w/ calcium for almost a year. Since the gum trouble started, I have been using the freshly made sodium ascorbate as suggested by Dr Judd, (Good Teeth Birth to Death). I am way overdue to go to the dentist, but now that htis has happened I don't want to go, I am afraid they will do something to it.

I have heard that a coQ10 spray will help the gum reattach, does anyone have any more suggestions? Sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it.
Thanks!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
Re: How do I reattach gums to teeth after gum recession?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »
If I hadn't just seen this in my husband's mouth I wouldn't know what you are talking about.  Just a couple of weeks ago, he said, "Hey, look at this.  Is this gum disease?"  I really didn't think it was.  His gums actually look good and no bleeding.  I thought he has been brushing too hard.  Anyway, he went to the dentist last week and he is going to have fillings to fill in the gaps.  He has huge gaps and wouldn't be able to attach them back for himself.

Missi

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »
My dh has ongoing gum problems..they are doing different things now and since you have to go anyway.....don't be afraid...you never " have " to do anything. DH rinses with this blue stuff and it has helped reverse his gum problems. (They clean his teeth for free if the blue stains.) Do some research first.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »
I have one tooth that my dentist casually mentioned had a receeding gum line. He just recommended I not use whitening toothpastes anymore and left it at that. Should I maybe be more proactive about this? Like doing more at home to prevent further recession. I didn't realize it would just get worse and worse. I was just curious after reading the above posts.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
I had gaps in my gums until I had my teeth scraped.  This isn't a fun process, but it healed everything up.  I hadn't had my teeth professionally cleaned in over 10 years when I had this done, so I had a huge amount of plaque buildup causing the gaps.  I've also wondered if toothpaste wasn't one of the contributors.  I've stopped using it, but I would imagine it hasn't been near long enough to know the difference yet.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »
What do you mean by gaps in your gums?  My dh has mentioned before about having a receding gumline, but I haven't noticed any gaps..  Just having a hard time picturing this.  Is it gaps between the teeth up at the top of the tooth next to the gumline?  Maybe I have seen this before (but not in my dh)
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:49 AM »
You may have what dentists refer to as a 'pocket.' This happens when bacteria get beneath the gum and begin grow there. The tissue begins to be eaten away. A periodontist can sedate, pull back the gum and scrape the area clean. A good follow up at home with bacteria fighting treatments would do much to speed healing.

In some cases, if left long enough without vigorous treatment, the bone can actually be eaten away. In cases like this, the surgery involves peeling back the gum to expose the bone and grafting in new bone -- or just removing the tooth all together since it will no longer have bone to anchor itself into.

I'm not recommending any one treatment. But I do think it is important to have some trained eyes on the area for an exam and get their opinion. Then, you can consider your options and ask for guidelines as to what to look for as markers for improvement/digression.

HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
What do you mean by gaps in your gums?  My dh has mentioned before about having a receding gumline, but I haven't noticed any gaps..  Just having a hard time picturing this.  Is it gaps between the teeth up at the top of the tooth next to the gumline?  Maybe I have seen this before (but not in my dh)
It's not really something you can see.  It's when the gums pull back from the teeth and sometime receed.  The dentist has a little tool that they measure on a scale from 1-5, (5 is the biggest) and I had a few 4 and 5s.  This is supposedly the beginning of periodontal disease.  I guess when the gaps get bigger, the teeth eventually loosen and fall out.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
I had to have dental surgery years ago (maybe 15 years ago, at age 25 or so).  Same thing, my bottom gum had receded from my tooth, but the dentist said it was caused by a "phrenum" I think was the word - a tissue on the inside of my lower lip - that was attached to my gums and was pulling the gum away in one spot.

They cut the phrenum and then grafted in some skin from the inside of my cheek to patch the spot.  Actually a very quick procedure, and it healed very quickly - probably thanks to the fact that I was taking CoQ10 for healing!

I'm not one to jump on board for surgery, but this thing wasn't going to get any better since my own skin was pulling on it.  I DO agree that going to the dentist, finding out your options and then making your decision is very wise.  You don't have to do anything you don't want to, just know what your options are before you decide.

All the best to you!
-Peg
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. Zeph. 3:17

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have been taking the vit. C and CoQ10. I also started oil pulling. That seems to be helping. It is not reattaching, but it is much better looking and firmer. I have only been doing it for a few days so I hope it will continue to improve.

I guess I should elaborate on not wanting to go to the  dentist. My dentist is my BIL, and he feels because we are family, he has the right to basically do whatever and not tell us what he is doing till afterward. Plus his assistants are notorious for agressive scraping. So I get nervous.  :-\ But i will make an appiontment soon, I promise. :P
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »
My gums are receding and my teeth hurt!  No one on here has said that they had pain with the receding gum.  Have you? Did you?  My sweet DH called and got me an appointment for tomorrow (6-17) and my dentist said he had trouble finding my file because I hadn't been there in 5 years!! It doesn't seem that long ago!!  I have read this thread and written notes to take with me to my dentist so I can make an informed decision.  Pray for me; my appt. is at 10:30 Central Time.

Oh, I was with my sister today and she said she has the same problem! :-\
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:16 AM »
biecmom, there is an article Here that may help you.  We started using cayenne with our morning regimen and I can't believe the difference in my gums.
HTH,
Have a blessed day!
Lisa
P.S. The part about the teeth/gums is way at the bottom.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 05:28:56 AM »
biecmom, there is an article Here that may help you.  We started using cayenne with our morning regimen and I can't believe the difference in my gums.
HTH,
Have a blessed day!
Lisa
P.S. The part about the teeth/gums is way at the bottom.
You brush with the cayenne?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »
I skipped the dentist for 10 years.   :o

Anyway, the point is that after 10 years, my teeth were still in great shape but my gums were receding.  It turns out I had what the dentist called the beginning stages of periodontal disease.  This is just a fancy word for gunk on your teeth down inside the gums.  ;D  She did a three hour session where she picked and cleaned the built up plaque off my teeth down inside the gums.  After about two weeks, my gums came back up and re-adhered to the teeth. 

I would think to help receding gums naturally, it might be prudent to find a natural plaque remover.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
My husband was told he had beginning peridontal disease and they wanted to scrape his teeth also.  We decided against it and he started putting two drops of tea tree oil on his toothpaste and also brushing with a tto toothpaste and within 6 months his gums were totally healed.  Plaque was gone and gums were fine.  He still uses TTO periodically just to stay on top of it.  In Australia dentists recommend TTO for peridontal disease.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
Thanks, all, for the affirmation and info. My appt. went great and I only had 1,2,& 3's for pocket depths and no bleeding or any gum disease. The roots of the two teeth that are really bothering me are showing, but the gums are tight next to them so I believe I will go get a non-floride sealant and a good cleaning later this week.  I asked a ton of questions and got a lot of answers.  I am blessed with a wonderful dentist. Thanks for your thoughts, info, and prayers! :)

I will try anything once; so it looks like I will be putting Cayenne on my toothbrush today!
I'm not sure I have TTO; is that the same as Melaleuca Oil T36-C5?  I have that.
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »
You brush with the cayenne?

Pennie, yes, a very, very, very, did I say very? small amt. to start out with.  As I said in my post I can't believe the difference in how my gums/mouth feel!  It restores gum health and is a circulatory which is going to promote dental health. 
We also (mostly just me) use 1 drop of clove oil on the brush.  This has a refreshing/good burning feel and is also good for circulation.  I don't use any kind of store bought paste.  We use baking soda alone or with the clove oil, or the cayenne, or peroxide.  As soon as I go on furlough I intend to buy and bring back the ingredients to make a paste or powder for the family to use. 
I have braces (yes, I am 40!) and noticed that my front gums were receding a bit.  I DON'T want false teeth and have been a little paranoid about my teeth becoming too loose and falling out.  When I saw the gums receding I was really upset.  The cayenne/clove treatments have stopped the problem and helped my sensitiveness also.
HTH,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!