Author Topic: Healthy Cream Soup  (Read 3404 times)

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
Healthy Cream Soup
« on: October 29, 2007, 02:51:04 AM »
Can anyone tell me where they get healthy cream of mushroom soup. I make my own cream soup mix which I use for a lot of things but it just isn't the same in poor man's steak.  Was wondering if someone had a place they got theirs - online would be best, but it would be nice to know  a brand. Thanks!

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
Re: Healthy Cream Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56:04 AM »
I think it's Country Beans that has soup recipes that use white bean flour. You run dry beans through your grain mill and get bean flour. Mix that w/ boiling water and you can add cooked chicken for cream of chicken soup, or sauteed mushrooms for cream of mushroom soup, same for celery, etc. I can't recall what, if any, seasonings she adds, and I'd look it up to tell you amounts and seasoning info, but my copy is in storage. I can't wait to live w/ all my books again!  :( I bet you could figure it out easily by experimenting.

I think you're looking for a brand of prepared canned soup that's healthy, and I think Hains is organic, but don't know if they sell soups. I found Amy's Kitchen in a quick search, but it's pricey. This is just one site, I'm sure you can find others. Of course,if you can get it by the case, the price per can should be lower.

Amy's Kitchen cream of mushroom soup

If you have a grain mill, the method above may work for you and it's pretty cheap!

Country Beans

HTH!  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:58:12 AM by 1ofeach »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 05:16:30 AM »
Do you think that maybe a different recipe for cream of mushroom might work better?

Here's a thread on cream of _____ soups with a few recipes. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,481.0.html

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline doddsgirl

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:37:04 AM »
I think it's Country Beans that has soup recipes that use white bean flour. You run dry beans through your grain mill and get bean flour. Mix that w/ boiling water and you can add cooked chicken for cream of chicken soup, or sauteed mushrooms for cream of mushroom soup, same for celery, etc. I can't recall what, if any, seasonings she adds, and I'd look it up to tell you amounts and seasoning info, but my copy is in storage. I can't wait to live w/ all my books again!  :( I bet you could figure it out easily by experimenting.

I think you're looking for a brand of prepared canned soup that's healthy, and I think Hains is organic, but don't know if they sell soups. I found Amy's Kitchen in a quick search, but it's pricey. This is just one site, I'm sure you can find others. Of course,if you can get it by the case, the price per can should be lower.

Amy's Kitchen cream of mushroom soup

If you have a grain mill, the method above may work for you and it's pretty cheap!

Country Beans

HTH!  :)
can anyone post an update on this? would i just throw a handful of dry beans in the vita-mix then mix that w/ boiling water? doesn't sound like it would be very appetizing... anybody have an actual recipe?
i guess beans are cheap enough i could just do some experimenting...but hey, if somebody has done it already...
how about a condensed version? would that just mean use less water...or cook it down some?
i'm not very bean literate. :D
rhonda

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
Well, this isn't a store brand, but it's a homemade version that you can use as a substitute.  You can even make a big batch and freeze it in 1.5 cup portion sizes to thaw and use later. 
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup
Love this site...lots of good recipes. :)

Gwen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:20:22 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline doddsgirl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »
Well, this isn't a store brand, but it's a homemade version that you can use as a substitute.  You can even make a big batch and freeze it in 1.5 cup portion sizes to thaw and use later. 
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup
Love this site...lots of good recipes. :)

Gwen
thanks, gwen! :-*
that looks perfect! and you're right- i searched her site and found several yummy recipes! wahoo! thanks, again!
rhonda

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
This is the solution that I came up with for a fast and healthy cream of mushroom soup recipe.  Since freezing and canning mess up the thickeners, I made a big batch of mushrooms, and froze them in cubes.  Takes up way less space in my freezer too!

http://www.gwens-nest.com/family-favorite-recipes/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
This is the solution that I came up with for a fast and healthy cream of mushroom soup recipe.  Since freezing and canning mess up the thickeners, I made a big batch of mushrooms, and froze them in cubes.  Takes up way less space in my freezer too!

http://www.gwens-nest.com/family-favorite-recipes/cream-of-mushroom-soup-recipe

Gwen, that is so great!  I was totally experimenting a couple of weeks ago with making my own and we all loved it!  But it is so time consuming to do the whole process every time I want cream of mushroom soup!  Thank you so much for the mushroom cube tip!!!  I will definitely be using that idea!  I was just in the store tonight reading the label on the cream of mushroom soup can and thinking that I really need to stop buying this stuff.  I've just tried to be better lately about reading labels, so hadn't read it before.  BLUCK!  :P  Now I have no excuse!  :)