Author Topic: How can you tell if you have a pinched nerve?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline bakermom

• Adept
How can you tell if you have a pinched nerve?
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
What are the symptoms as opposed to muscle pain?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: How can you tell if you have a pinched nerve?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »
The only thing I know about it is from the times my sciatic nerve has been pinched and or inflammed.

During my 1st preg my very big baby loaded uterus was causing my sciatic to be pinched off. The pain is diabolical.

Some sings I notice in myself with nerve punchings:

-Shooting pain. Can shoot suddenly up, down, across the body.

-can be mild to sever

-Pain meds do not do much for it

-the pain can be so bad it makes it to where one can barley roll over in bed or change positions. Other movements can be severely limited due to the pinched nerve as well.

-it is enough pain to make one run around with their arms waving in the air screaming violently and begging for someone to shoot them to put them out of their misery and bury them out back. :o

Something that works for my pinched nerve times is rubbing peppermint oil on that location. It seems to help.

I have had pulled muscles which are also painful but IMO I could handle those better then a pinched nerve. With the pulled muscles I could move about easier then with nerve troubles. And with the muscles I could help limit the pain with muscle creams and pain meds.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: How can you tell if you have a pinched nerve?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:27:30 AM »
Pinched nerves can cause muscle pain due to inflammation, but more often than not, you will have a numbness, dead spot, tingling or shooting pain of some kind in the area where the nerve is pinched.

If the nerve is in your back, it can cause numbness in different areas througout the body and depending on the nerve, you can also experience a dull ache/throbbing in your limbs.  I can tell the difference because this pain cannot be stretched away, meaning if you stretch the pained part of the body in many directions, the pain will mostly remain constant, where as if the pain were a muscle tear or injury, certain movements would increase the pain or lessen the pain depending on your movements.

HTH
  My favorite herb book!!