Author Topic: Nystatin: dosage, use & other info  (Read 22401 times)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Nystatin: dosage, use & other info
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »
This thread reminds me of what Don Colbert, MD says in his book " the Bible Cure for Candida and Yeast Infections".

On pages 50-52 he talks about how Nystatin fights off a wide variety of differant types of yeast. He also says the medication called Diflucan is helpful in fighting yeast.

Here is  list of some herbs he says are good for fighting yeast in addition to using the above pills. Taken from pages 46-50:

- garlic
-goldenseal
-grapefruit seed extract
-caprylic acid ( a fatty acid found in coconuts that isextremely  toxic to yeast)
-oil of oregano
-tanalbit ( a yeast destroying plant extract- it does not say from what plants)
-chlorophyll supplements.

To help our bodies eliminate the dead yeast particles and toxins it suggest using:
- fiber supplements and plenty of water.

To help our bodies restore good bacteria it suggest we:
- drink sugar free lactose free kefir.
-eat yogurt that contains no sugar, lactose or fruit.
-take acidophilus and bifidus.

On page 24 it says for someone with candida to avoid all forms of vinegar EXCEPT apple cider vinegar. It is a short brief book and does not say why this is. I know I am very yeasty and loath vinegar taste and smell. It is a little book in size and only 84 pages long.

I have thought about getting the Nystatin also. I have been de-yeasting since about Feb 2006. A lot of it has helped but nothing seems to be rid of it 100% Right now I am taking Natures Sunshine yeast/fungal detox and Beeyoutifuls anti yeast pills daily together. I see a difference in my eye coloring which for my body means the yeast is going away but still it is there strongly. I don't know what else to do other then to just 'eat' lettuce and water for the rest of my life and waller in a vat of oregano/garlic oils forever.

cecac

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 09:55:27 AM »
BJ,

LOL, don't do that wallering...surely you'll be allright without that.

Thank you for this information. 

Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 06:39:43 AM »
I can't remember for sure (don't have a copy), but I think there are recommended dosages in Karen Sourrosi's book.

I've also noticed alot of reluctance to use this drug.  When I asked (begged) my doctor for it, he gave me Lamisil instead.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
This is just my observations, but I have noticed that the MD's who tend to use/prescribe nystatin the most are oncologists and surgeons. 

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:47 PM »
Are you supposed to take Nystatin on an empty stomach or with food?  I am trying to give that 4 times a day to my son and somehow work in a probiotic 2 times a day, superkids vitamins and fish oil.  I am having trouble working it all in! Any thoughts?

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »
Are you supposed to take Nystatin on an empty stomach or with food?  I am trying to give that 4 times a day to my son and somehow work in a probiotic 2 times a day, superkids vitamins and fish oil.  I am having trouble working it all in! Any thoughts?
Anybody have any thoughts?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 02:26:36 AM »
Anybody have any thoughts?
You should be able to take it at any time....

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
Does anyone own the book by Karen Seroussi?  The Unraveling the mysteries of Autism book?  Do you know how her son took the Nystatin?  I know that someone recommended an oral form to me, but I am wondering if this mother gave her son a liquid form.  I am going to the Dr.'s tomorrow with my daughter to recommend this, and want to know what is available.  Thanks!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure she used the liquid form.  But you may want to keep in mind, regular Nystatin contains sugar.  Which wouldn't help yeast.  They  make a sugar free one, my son's doc prescribed it for him (although we didn't use it bc it wasn't covered under our prescriptions and it was too expensive).  Just something to think about I guess.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
Was the sugarless one liquid, too?  Just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for your help, abbi!  ;)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
I don't remember what form she used in the book, but it can be taken orally in a liquid suspension (with or without sugar), a powder, or pastille.
The suspension appears to contain 100,000 USP of nystatin per 1 mL with 50% sucrose weight/volume.
The dose would be 400,000-600,000 units which would be 4-6 mL or 1 tsp (1tsp=5mL). 
I don't know how this translates as far a carbs/calories, and was unable to find it.

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
I was just going to hunt for this thread...:D

I was on the sugary liquid stuff for a week or so and noticed my eczema was getting worse (it does w/ sugar).  I quit that.   >:(  I can't imagine one of my boys on it.   :o

I have the cream, though, and it seems mostly effective.  I think I'm going to go the GSE route...

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
You can get it in the powder form (without sugar) and mix it with water and drink it.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
Okay, I asked for the sugar free formula, and they gave me flavored liquid that is sweetened with SACCHARIN!!!!  I am so upset!  I guess when I told them I wanted a sugar free no flavor formula, they didn't take me seriously!  :-\

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
Okay, I asked for the sugar free formula, and they gave me flavored liquid that is sweetened with SACCHARIN!!!!  I am so upset!  I guess when I told them I wanted a sugar free no flavor formula, they didn't take me seriously!  :-\

I would take it back.  >:(   I know you'll find the product you're looking for if you don't give up.  Its just that most doctors haven't ever encountered people as weird (and informed) as we are!  ;D  Thanks, WTM!!!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »
Are you more prone to being tired on Nystatin, because of the yeast die-off?  My daughter just started hers, today, and she laid down to take a nap just a couple hours after waking up this morning.  That is SO not her!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 07:23:47 AM »
Are you more prone to being tired on Nystatin, because of the yeast die-off?  My daughter just started hers, today, and she laid down to take a nap just a couple hours after waking up this morning.  That is SO not her!

Could be.  The first day my son took berbine to kill off bad bacteria the die off was fierce and he was not himself.  I would give her a week and let her body do what it needs to.  If she's still that way you can take another look at it.  Could also be a combo of the nystatin and growing.  If I remember right, she's 11ish???? 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »
  If I remember right, she's 11ish???? 

patti

Correct.  I figured it was the Nystatin.  Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!  ;)