Author Topic: Nystatin: dosage, use & other info  (Read 22392 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Nystatin: dosage, use & other info
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:59:22 AM »
I have some questions/comments on nystatin. Personally, I believe it is a very underutilized therapy as yeast overgrowth is under diagnosed and not recognized by many medical professionals as a trigger to many other conditions.

Having said that, I've also gone through the rigmarole (highly technical term, here) of convincing a doctor that it would be beneficial for me to have the prescription. Even with this, my experience was that the prescription was for a lower dosage and a shorter time than would be needed to correct a severe yeast overgrowth. Sometimes a pharmacy had to special order the medication as they could not locate it in tablet or capsule form for ingestion.

So, here's what I am wondering (especially from our friends outside of the US), do any of you know of some sound guidelines for dosage and length of time to take the medication (how to gauge when it has done its work)?

And -- for the more adventurous among us -- THEORETICALLY  ;) ;), what are some trusted (and economical) sources for nystatin?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Nystatin: dosage, use & other info
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:09:48 PM »
SC, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the doses I know for nystatin are (orally) 400,000u-500,000u for adults for 100,000 - 500,000u for infants and children.  Adults may go up to 1,000,000 u for GI issues.  These doses should be taken 4 times a day.  You should put the half of the dose in each cheek, swish it around for a few minutes and then swallow.  I have also used a qtip to "paint" it inside mouths.
For vaginal use 100,000 u -200,000 u daily.
My lit does not give a limit on use of time.  It does state to start using nystatin 3-6 weeks befere term pregnancy (vaginally) to decrease candida in the newborn so I would think that at least this long would be appropriate.
I know that I have given it orally to patients for extended time periods without any problems.
Sorry, I don't have a source...

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »
Thanks Mrs. B!

Yes, that's what I was wondering as well as documented cautions and/or other limitations on its use.

It would also be nice to know it's recommended shelf life & storage guidelines as well as a way to determine who/what would be a safe supplier.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
I don't know of a supplier, but the only cautions I know of are allergic reaction (rash usually, but rarely) with possible nausea, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, rash, stinging, and burning.
For storage keep it in a tight, light-resistant container with the suspension best kept cool in the refrigerator.  Tabs can be kept room temp.
You might want to find out which drug companies make this and see where they sell.  I don't know much about all of this, but a Canadian company might be able to ship?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
I am VERY interested in getting nystatin in capsule or pill form.  I thought it only came in cream form.  SC, if you find this somewhere will you post it?  I'm a yeasty person and if I miss a day of my chinese herbs I can tell (they have yeast reducer stuff in it).  I missed 3 days of my probiotic while I was in the hospital with my Peanut and whoa, I could feel the yeast starting up.  Does a doctor prescribe pill form by any chance?  Mine would do it in a heartbeat if they do. 

thanks,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »
My Dh was prescribed Nystatin in pill form by our ND for Candida issues. He was told to take it for two months along w/ the candida diet. The doses he was prescribed were to take two tabs twice daily. I am looking on the RX bottle and cannot find how many mg each tab is. At the bottom it says :"Qty 100/120" so I am wondering if this means there are 100 tabs of 120 mg each???? I wish I had kept the package insert. Sorry....

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:57:17 AM »
Yes, once upon a time when Doctors here recognized the importance of keeping a check on systemic yeast conditions, it was prescribed often in pill form. My experience was that about 5 years ago, when I talked a doctor into a prescription, the pharmacist had to hunt for a supplier because it isn't as common now.

So, my hope is that I can find a trusted source to have it on hand for issues should they arise. My theory is that with proper diet, this support could reverse many ongoing issues.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »
My little girl had a rash (well more like red streaks) on her arm that would not go away. After 2 days of Nystatin cream the rash was gone.

It looked like contact dermatitis.... or some fungus she brushed up against. I think it happened in Key West. There were lots of nasty animals running around.

Anyways.... that's my experience.  :D
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:29:30 AM »
I'm confused, I thought Nystatin was bad for you.  :-\ I've been doing my best to avoid using it for my daughter's yeasty rash, and for me when I was pregnant. I guess I never did research it though. I just assumed that most things a doctor gives you a prescription for should be avoided if possible.  ;D  Hehe
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:35:42 AM »
I'm confused, I thought Nystatin was bad for you.  :-\ I've been doing my best to avoid using it for my daughter's yeasty rash, and for me when I was pregnant. I guess I never did research it though. I just assumed that most things a doctor gives you a prescription for should be avoided if possible.  ;D  Hehe

I thought it was bad too. I felt like a guilty WTMer using it when I did.  ;) :D
It's actually the only drug (oh wait, we call them perscriptions nows  ::))......... my daughter has ever been exposed to.

So, it's good for fungus and yeast?

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:06:28 AM »
Just a note for anyone who is on a low oxalate diet or has their kids on one, I was just told that nystatin makes oxalate problems worse because it is very high oxalate. :-\
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 05:11:28 AM »
IMO, there aren't any good and/or bad drugs -- just appropriate and inappropriate uses. Too often overall health, the patient's lifestyle, and/or his/her ability to rebound from any potential side effects are not considered when drugs are administered. So, you have the never-ending cycle of a single drug prescribed, another drug to deal with the side effects caused by the first, etc. Also, while our doctors do an incredible job of promoting the benefits of a drug course of treatment, they do a lousy job (IMO) of detailing the possible drawbacks.

Because there are few in the medical community that recognize the damage that a yeast overgrowth can do to the human system (beyond thrush and/or skin conditions), Nystatin is one of the 'forgotten' treatments (IMO).

It disrupts the life cycle of the yeast in the intestines. In a healthy gut, it does not move beyond the colon. But in systemic yeast, it can be (IMO) an effective tool to combat overgrowth (along with proper diet).

Another reason (IMO) that Nystatin is ineffectively prescribed and underutilized is that when a patient experiences a yeast die off, the initial symptoms can cause the patient to feel ill. So, rather than persist with the treatment towards a cure, the doctor and patient retreat back into comfortable sickness. A lack of understanding and education would likely solve this -- or at least allow the patient to understand what was happening and determine what he/she wanted to do (treat the symptoms or heal).

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:05:47 AM »
It think I remember reading in the Yeast Connection book by William Crook some sources in the back where you could get Nystatin. My sister's newborn had thrush and her ped prescribed oral liquid Nystatin for the baby to take and it helped.

SC~ have you come across anything about using it while pregnant? I have read and been told by my midwife that it is safe for use in pregnancy and nursing, but I wonder if the detox reaction that it causes might not be good during pregnancy, KWIM? Do you have any thoughts on this?

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
My doctor prescribed this for me.  Interesting factoid (you probably already know)  it's made from dirt and the person that discovered it was in New York, thus the name NYstatin. :)  Anyway, mine is the pure powder and the dose is 150,000,000 per 1/4 tsp.  It says to place on back of tongue four times daily.  I do have some die-off but not intolerable.  It's very helpful with the trush, but the benefits feel like they stop there. :-\  I've been known to do an enema with it--major die-off! The only precaution my doctor had was that yeast actually keeps bad bacteria in check.  He said I might have a yeast overgrowth due to some undiagnosed bacterial infection.  Mine is manufactured for "Hi-Tech pharmacal" in Amityville, NY 11701.  He has a relationship with the pharmacy where I get it and they special order this for his patients.  I tried filling the script thru a regular pharmacy and they just balked at it.   Also, I just wanted to note that the pre-mixed liquid is INCREDIBLY high in sugar!   :o  Go figure!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »
I'm kind of excited to read all this stuff on nystatin.  I have used it for female stuff for years but had no idea it could be taken internally!  I knew they used it in the mouth for babies with thrush also.  I'll be getting a script from my doc for it and trying it for several months with a candida diet to see if I can get rid of this stuff! 

thanks for all the info, ladies!   :D

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 04:02:10 AM »
Interesting factoid - it's made from dirt
So it's like HSO's - soil organisms! LOL! :D  ;)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 04:33:09 AM »
Okay..... so it seems like Nystatin could just cover up the problem (kill the yeats or fungus) but "allow" the problem to recur because habits are not changed.

I'm a bit confused.

cecac

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 05:25:54 AM »
Okay..... so it seems like Nystatin could just cover up the problem (kill the yeats or fungus) but "allow" the problem to recur because habits are not changed.

I'm a bit confused.

I'm thinking that it would need to be used alongside long term changes that would take care of the problem.  I would also think that you would not want to use nystatin long term, just for short term removal of a problem that is possibly being stubborn.

I am reading this thread with interest because after my baby is born I'd like to make sure I'm not having candida overgrowth issues.  I also know, though, that staying on a candida diet is something I'm not likely to do.  I could long term maintain no sugar, and upping my protein, but I've already tried low carb and I feel rotten when I do that.  I'm not honestly sure if that's because I just need more carbs, or if it's die off symptoms.   ???

So, wondering if this nystatin would be a good way to treat and then use natural preventatives afterwards to keep any overgrowth from coming back.

Is that what you all are thinking as far as using it?

Cara
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:55:01 AM by cecac »

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »
Also, I just wanted to note that the pre-mixed liquid is INCREDIBLY high in sugar!   :o  Go figure!

Yeah, that one really made sense to me too. ::) That's one reason I personally would not use it for babies with thrush.

cecac

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:12 AM »
Also, I just wanted to note that the pre-mixed liquid is INCREDIBLY high in sugar!   :o  Go figure!

Yeah, that one really made sense to me too. ::) That's one reason I personally would not use it for babies with thrush.

Lotsaboys, patti, SC, others:

What is your opinion of using it in adults or teens, even if there are no obvious symptoms of candida overgrowth?  In other words, use it for a short time to kinda do a cleanse, and then just making sure that the diet habits are such that you do not go back in to candida overgrowth?  Also, of course, probiotics ongoing to continue supplying with good stuff.

Or, would it be better to do yeast assassin with diet?  I'm just really concerned that when I start this with me, one teen, and one six yo, that we won't be able to keep up the strict diet. :-\.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »
Something I didn't see brought up so far is that Nystatin kills yeast cells on contact... no direct contact = no effect. So it will help most people to take it internally or by enema, but if you have systemic yeast, like me, it will not kill it in your blood and other tissues where it can not "reach". So you will probably need to do other things in conjunction to get real relief.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

cecac

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
Something I didn't see brought up so far is that Nystatin kills yeast cells on contact... no direct contact = no effect. So it will help most people to take it internally or by enema, but if you have systemic yeast, like me, it will not kill it in your blood and other tissues where it can not "reach". So you will probably need to do other things in conjunction to get real relief.

WR

Well, shoot, that answers my question.  Thank you Whiterock.  Guess we'll have to do it the hard way. :P.  Die off here we come!!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
This is my opinion.

Nystatin is a very valuable tool in treating systemic yeast because in these cases, you are looking at a system where yeast has breached the colon. Another term for this is 'leaky gut.' In these instances, Nystatin which reaches the colon will likely be able to reach the yeast elsewhere in the system because it will go through the leaks created by the yeast. Those areas that the Nystatin cannot reach will be affected by the improvement in the body's immune response as the yeast the Nystatin CAN reach are killed.

HOWEVER, Nystatin alone is not a sufficient treatment for yeast overgrowth. Using processed and dried foods as staples in your diet, refusing to consume fermented and/or cultured foods and/or probiotics, drinking unfiltered water, overuse of anti-biotics, and the continued consumption of foods that have been chemically treated will almost guarantee that your weakened immune system will be overwhelmed by yeast AGAIN, before your immune response has a chance to re-establish its balance.

Your body NEEDs you to cultivate beneficial bacteria and enzymes in your digestive tract (sinus, mouth, stomach, small & large intestines) or the advantageous yeast will dominate, consuming its own waste and causing ever-worsening symptoms.

Even if you attempt to starve yeast of its favorite foods, it will simply lie in wait and grow when there is food for it to consume. So, that's why I don't recommend long-term yeast or candida starving type diets. IMO, the only real hope lies in populating our bodies with beneficial flora after having cleared the area with something like Nystatin (or similar acting treatment). Keep in mind that this should be accompanied by a thorough bowel cleanse as the dead yeast cells must be removed before they ferment and/or provide food for those still living there. Once you've begun to consume good pro-biotic types of foods/supplements, the 'good guys' must then be fed on quality foods as I've described. Yes, yeast will be present, but the balance will be correct and beneficial.

The things your body needs (the good flora) cannot live in your gut on a diet of processed sugars, processed carbohydrates, packaged breads (crackers, cookies, etc.), and chemical preservatives and coloring agents -- but YEAST can and will survive and flourish in such an environment. So, it's a process: knock back the overgrowth, clean out the garbage, plant good stuff, and provide nourishment that will enable the proper balance to flourish.

Again, these are just my observations and conclusions I've drawn.
Nystatin is not a magic yeast cure pill. It is a tool to be used as part of a process to re-establish a healthy balance in the body and restore proper function.

Just my $.02

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »
You gals need to go have a look at my posts on the foods to eat while fighting candida thread(is that the right name?). I talk about my negative reaction to low carb during pg.Oops that's a little off-topic. I think nystatin is an option if all your natural efforts fail.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:33:12 PM by Sparkys9 »
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

cecac

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »
Hmmm, well ladies, I'll keep reading.  Thank you!!

Cara

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
Are there benefits to nystatin compared to using herbal antifungals? I'm just wondering what would be a better choice.Can we get an ingredient list for nystatin?
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »
Those areas that the Nystatin cannot reach will be affected by the improvement in the body's immune response as the yeast the Nystatin CAN reach are killed.

HOWEVER, Nystatin alone is not a sufficient treatment for yeast overgrowth.

That's my thinking as well. Only, I don't have as much hope for Nystatin reaching quite as many areas as you do. That's why I think using other [natural] treatment options in conjunction with Nystatin is the way to go for people who have been dealing with systemic yeast for years.

I've been gathering info on natural yeast killers and treatments for a while and plan to attack this thing from a lot of different angles at once. I'm nursing now so I am just doing a lot of planning and not much else.

WR
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:44:30 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
Are there benefits to nystatin compared to using herbal antifungals? I'm just wondering what would be a better choice.Can we get an ingredient list for nystatin?
My understanding is that there are various strains of yeast. I wouldn't call Nystatin 'unnatural.' It DOES happen to be a controlled substance in the US.  :-\

It depends on the particular strain of yeast with which you may be dealing, what method will help your condition.

Personally, I prefer to use a broad spectrum approach for the 'cleaning house' phase. This means that I like to utilize as many anti-fungals that I have on hand AND address areas of environment AND diet. So, taking a single remedy is not my approach. I would use ACV, garlic, coconut oil, oil of oregano, neem oil, tea tree oil, AND Nystatin in addition to other measures to try and accomplish my goals. My experience has been that a conservative approach may not always work.

Of course, this must be balanced against the reaction(s) of the individual. You don't want to overwhelm someone's system. So, you may have to temper your approach.

At any rate, you'll have to be persistent over a space of time or this stuff will only go into hiding and return later. Many people see progress and discontinue treatment too early only to see their symptoms return.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »
I would use ACV, garlic, coconut oil, oil of oregano, neem oil, tea tree oil, AND Nystatin

You might also think about using Pau D'arco (I believe this to be very powerful against yeast!), cinnamon, goldenseal, clove, ginger, ginseng, licorice, and peroxide.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
I would use ACV, garlic, coconut oil, oil of oregano, neem oil, tea tree oil, AND Nystatin

You might also think about using Pau D'arco (I believe this to be very powerful against yeast!), cinnamon, goldenseal, clove, ginger, ginseng, licorice, and peroxide.

WR
My list wasn't inclusive . . .
also Grapeseed Extract  :)