Author Topic: puncture wound in throat  (Read 6037 times)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
puncture wound in throat
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:48:22 AM »
My 20 month old boy somehow poked the back left side of his throat with a wooden duster handle this morning. He cried for a while, with a gurgly voice, then I noticed blood coming from his left nostril. When I looked with a flashlight, I could see where the wound was... it was a bit bloody, but not bleeding much. His nose stopped bleeding right away, and he wanted to drink some juice. After that he ate all his breakfast, and has seemed fine ever since. Is there anything I should be aware of to watch for, or anything I should do to prevent infection, or do you think throat wounds heal pretty well? I was worried at first, but the bleeding seemed minimal, and he recovered so quickly. I'm pretty sure I saw a hole back there where the handle poked him. I've been wondering if food pieces could get caught back there? Thanks for any advice, and prayer!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: puncture wound in throat
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:23:14 AM »
Without seeing the wound with my own eyes, my first concern would be how deep the puncture is. It is possible to cause a brain injury with a deep enough puncture. Lesser puncture wounds could result in the introduction of bacteria into the brain stem or bleeding and resulting pressure at the base of the skull.

So, I would watch him like a hawk for changes: pain, swelling of the neck, lethargy, marked personality changes, blurred vision, slurred speech, unusual sleepiness or wakefulness, etc.

If I saw ANYTHING unusual, considering the location of the wound, I would have him seen by emergency medical personnel as soon as possible.

Should it be determined that the wound is slight and surface, I would just give him soft foods until the area had a chance to heal. Depending on the child, crunchy, rough foods that require lots of chewing might irritate the area if he eats them too quickly.  :-\
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:42:23 AM »
Thanks SC, I'll be sure to keep my eye on him, and keep praying!

cecac

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »
I am agreeing with SC, although I honestly would go ahead and call the pediatrician with that type wound, especially since you heard the gurgly voice with crying and the bleeding through the nose.

On a practical note, I would initially give a liquid diet and try to clean the  external wound after each intake of anything but water.

I would want to know what the pediatrician would say for long term healing.

I pray wisdom for you as you help your son,
Cara  

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
I am agreeing with SC, although I honestly would go ahead and call the pediatrician with that type wound, especially since you heard the gurgly voice with crying and the bleeding through the nose.

On a practical note, I would initially give a liquid diet and try to clean the  external wound after each intake of anything but water.

I would want to know what the pediatrician would say for long term healing.

I pray wisdom for you as you help your son,
Cara  

Thanks Cara,
What would you do to clean the external wound? It's very hard for me to even see, because it's back and down so far in his throat... like off to the left side, and down. I can see what looks like a scuffed mark, and a couple times I thought I saw a puncture, but it's so hard to see.
Thanks for your prayers, ladies.
He seems to be feeling fine, and is acting completely normal so far. I'm trying to make sure he only eats soft things, but he is such an eater, it's hard. I'm making more of an effort, though.

cecac

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:44:19 AM »
Hello sweetestday,

I think that is a question for a pediatrician or family doctor.  I am at a loss as to how to answer it.  I misunderstood your OP and thought the "external" wound was on the outside of his neck.  I understand now what you are saying, and I agree with you that it would be very difficult to clean it in the position it is in.  Your child would likely gagg uncontrollably if you tried to swab anything down there, and he might even throw up.

I am sorry I don't know anything else. 

I am glad the little one is doing okay!!

Blessings,
Cara

Cara

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
 Hello,
 Just so your not feeling alone, my DS had the same thing when he was about that age. With him after the initial bleeding from the mouth stopped I could see a (wound/hole) on the top ,back of the mouth, kindof in the throat. He cried when he ate and said it hurt, but I never went to the Dr and it healed up fine. Just wanted to throw out my experience.
 Those boys! you just never know what they'll do next! ;D gotta love them anyway!

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:54:08 AM »
Hello,
 Just so your not feeling alone, my DS had the same thing when he was about that age. With him after the initial bleeding from the mouth stopped I could see a (wound/hole) on the top ,back of the mouth, kindof in the throat. He cried when he ate and said it hurt, but I never went to the Dr and it healed up fine. Just wanted to throw out my experience.
 Those boys! you just never know what they'll do next! ;D gotta love them anyway!

Oh, thanks so much! It's always good to hear from someone else who's gone through the same thing.
Friederich is seeming fine today... I'm only feeding him soft foods, and am giving him spoonfulls of honey occasionally. It's the only thing I could think of that would be easy to give him, and be good on a wound. He's drinking a lot of water, and whenever I ask how his owie is, he says, "better". There's definitely a hole back there, but my husband feels good about where it's location is. So far, everything looks good. It's been most stressful on Mommy!

cecac

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »
I am sorry if I sounded over cautious, and I'm really glad that your son is doing better.  It is amazing to me, Praise God, how our bodies can heal. 

Blessings to your little one, I hope he can eat more substantial food very soon,
Cara

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »
I gotta tell you all this story.  When my step-dad was a boy he was eating a Sugar Daddy (that's a caramel lollipop thing).  He was running and fell.  OOPS!!  Cut his tonsils right out.  The doctor told his mom that he couldn't have done it better himself.  Can you imagine that??!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
I gotta tell you all this story.  When my step-dad was a boy he was eating a Sugar Daddy (that's a caramel lollipop thing).  He was running and fell.  OOPS!!  Cut his tonsils right out.  The doctor told his mom that he couldn't have done it better himself.  Can you imagine that??!!
WELL! I just hope he gave mama something for her nerves after THAT!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:01:24 AM »
WELL! I just hope he gave mama something for her nerves after THAT!
Yeah, like a week's worth of valium might have done the trick??   ::)

cecac

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:34 AM »
LOL, I am NEVER giving my kids Sugar Daddies.  You just ruined that candy for this family.......

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
Yeah, that's downright scary! Seriously!  :o

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 05:05:49 PM »
LOL, I am NEVER giving my kids Sugar Daddies.  You just ruined that candy for this family.......
ha ha ha ha  MY kids are never ever having them either!!!!!  I shutter when I see them at the grocery store.  :o

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 02:22:52 AM »
 Ladies, my guess is that it could happen with any long, thin object if they would have it in their mouth and fall. With my son it was a piece of plastic, plumbing pipeline ::) :o Don't ask why we have it in the house!
  Really,our house has been under construction for several yrs. ::)
Well, at the same time as playing with this he was also chewing on an apple. Then somehow he fell and started crying and spitting blood and white pieces and I thought it was parts of a tooth :o Scary  And I think some of his teeth were bleeding too, so initially I didn't even see the puncture wound in the back. Not until he complained of it hurting back there did I notice it. Thankfully, for I would have been very nervous.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »
Just as an update, and a thank you for prayers...
Friederich is still doing great, and never had any bad effects from his injury. I looked at his throat today, and it seems much better. There are no more sore looking red areas, and the hole seems to be healing well. I've always been scared of this happening, and try to make sure the boys don't run around with anything in their mouths, but you sure can't avoid everything. I'm just so thankful for our Creator/Sustainer Who keeps us each day in His hand!
How it happened: Friederich was holding my wooden handled woolly duster, and was putting some big wooden beads on the handle. He loves putting things in holes or stringing things together. He is the one who figured out the duster was perfect for sliding his big beads onto. Anyway, I was making breakfast, and he was playing quietly by the couch, when I heard an irritable cry that quickly turned to a panic cry. The first thing I did was to see where my 3yr old son was, but he was with me in the kitchen. Otherwise it would normally be him that did something to the little guy.  :-\ I have no idea how it happened, because he wasn't running around, but it was obvious that the handle had gone into the back of his throat. And that's how quick it went. Now, if we can just go a few days without anymore disasters... But with two boys, I doubt it! ::)