Author Topic: Skirt Pattern Anyone?  (Read 42670 times)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
Re: Skirt Pattern Anyone?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
http://www.madamexcostumes.com/newpages/ttcostumes.html
This site gives fairly clear instructions on 1/2 and full circle skirts.  Though, it may seem like greek if you haven't sewn much. HTH!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 02:06:59 PM by chopchop »

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »
To make a 1/2 circle wrap skirt, with about a 55" waist and 38" long you will need 3 1/4 yards of 60" material.  This is a little more than you need but you will need a little extra for fabric shrinkage when it is washed.  Light weight denim, medium weight, woven cotton or linen blends are good for this skirt.  Much of this skirt is on the bias which is what gives it the nice flow.  It also makes it unsuitable for stiff fabric.  The bias could make your hem uneven over time.  Bias stretches.  You can rehem it or make the skirt up to the hemming point and let it hang for a day or two and then remark and hem. 

Wash and iron your fabric.

Cut or tear your fabric so you have a rectangle 60"x112". 

Fold this in half, wrong sides together, so you have approximately a square 60"x56".

Iron this, keeping edges even.  This will give you a nice crease and matching point for making your skirt.

Open the fabric up and cut or tear a rectangle 4"x 112" off of the bottom.  If you do not want to use the selvage, cut or tear 1/2" off of the top and bottom then cut or tear 3" off of the bottom.  This is your waistband.

Fold your fabric in half again, right sides together.  You should have a square 56"x56".  We will start at the upper left corner, going clockwise and label the corners of this square, A, B, C, and D.  The fold should be on your right hand side from corner B to corner C.

Tie one end of a string to a sharpened piece of chalk or marker. Then cut the string so that it is 56" long. Anchor one end of the string at corner B (or have a second person hold it in place for you), and then use the chalk or marker end to draw an arc from corner A to corner C. This will be the lower edge of the skirt. Cut 1" off of your string and draw another arc. This needs to be chalk or a removable mark.  You will do this on both sides of the skirt.  This is for your hem.  Cut your string to 18" and draw your last arc. This is for your waistband.

If you are unsure of what the pattern looks like, I suggest you take a piece of notebook paper and make or draw a mock up so you have a visual idea of what you are doing.  Besides, it may save you from making any mistakes in your fabric. 

Cut out your arcs on the upper arc (18" arc) and lowest arc (56" arc).  The 55" arc is simply a mark to help you hem your skirt.

Open up your fabric.  You should have a 1/2 circle that has a smaller 1/2 circle opening in the middle. 

Fold your waistband (4"x112" rectangle) is half, wrong sides together, and press keeping outside edges even.  Fold up 1/2" on outer long edges, wrong sides together, and press.  This is to form the seam allowances on the ties and give you a finished edge.  Mark and press 1/2", right sides together, on the straight edges of the skirt.  If you have removed the selvage edge you will need to fold under an additional 1/2" and press.   

Open up your waistband, fold it in half right sides together, and sew a 1/4" or 1/2" seam on the short ends of your waistband. Turn them right side out.  This finishes the tie ends.  Press.

On the right side of the skirt, topstitch 3/8" from the straight edges of the skirt.  This finishes the straight edges (sides) of the wrap skirt.

Open up your waistband.  With right sides together, match the middle mark of the waistband with the middle mark of the skirt.  Pin.  Starting at the middle match the waistband and skirt pinning to the outside edge of the skirt.  Sew with a 1/2" seam allowance keeping the edge of the skirt and the edge of the waistband even.
Press the waistband up.  You may need to repress the half (long side) waistband line and 1/2 seam allowance lines if they are no longer crisp.

Match the middle mark of the skirt with the middle mark on the folded waistband.  The seam allowance of skirt should be sandwiched inside the waistband.  Pin. There are so many layers here that it is difficult to pin without causing a large bump.  On the wrong side of the skirt, glue baste (with a water soluble glue stick) or pin the lower edge of the waistband/tie in place just covering your previous line of stitching for the right side.   

Starting at one end of the ties, on the right side, sew 1/8" from the bottom edge of the tie, over the skirt section, to the opposite edge of the tie, up the short side across the top and down the final short side to complete the topstitching of the tie.
Press up the 1" hem, wrong sides together.  Open up the hem and press the lower edge up to meet the previous 1" crease mark.  You now have a pressed finished hem.
Topstitch the hem from the right side 3/8" from the lower edge. Press

Try on your skirt.  The middle crease of the skirt should be in the middle of your back.  Wrap the skirt around to the front and then the ties to the back.  Mark with chalk on the inside of the outer layer of the waistband about 2" farther along the waistband from were the under layer is overlapped by the outer layer.  Make and cut a large buttonhole on the waistband for the tie of the underlayer to thread threw to the back. 

Press and wear your new skirt! 

This whole process takes much less time to make than to write.  If any of this is not clear please ask and I will try to clarify.   If someone would like information on how to make the waist small or larger, I can explain how to get these measurements.
hjm

Below are a couple of links to sites that have information on making circle and half circle skirts.  I should warn you that they are for dancing costumes but the resulting skirt is quite modest. :)

http://optionality.net/pantarei/circleskirt.html

http://www.madamexcostumes.com/newpages/ttcostumes.html

http://www.shira.net/make-cskirt.htm
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:00:20 PM by hjm »

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
hjm -
 This is GREAT!!!   ;D  I can't wait to try making one! 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking the time to write all of this out! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »
HJM, thanks so much.

55" waist?  What size person is this for?  I realize it wraps, but I've never had a wrap skirt, so I'm not sure how much slack it's supposed to have.  I wonder what size you are and if this skirt was made for you?

Then I'm interested in how you measured for your sizes as I'd like to attempt this for my daughter as well and I think 38" would wrap around her forehead and still drag the ground.   :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
Sounds to me like some of you crafty women should be turning sewing into a little side business!  I can sew but I'm never able to make things for myself that I like.  I would certainly pay someone to make me a couple nice skirts if they could be made for less than that web site.  I doubt I'm the only one.  Any takers???

Just talked to dh and if you are interested in having some custom sewing done for you, contact me by PM.  ;D I have been sewing for about 17 yrs and have done tailoring work for  tailor shops and that sort of thing.
 If you need referrals, there are several people here on WTM that would qualify to do  that for me.  ;)
Let me know what your interested in and we can go from there.
Thanks!

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
The 55" waist is based on the measurements at http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=37&groupid=26.  They state that the length is 38" and the waist opened up is 55".  If you had a 27" or smaller waist, this would be a problem.  27 doubled(wrapped all the way around) is 54.  

To find how long you wanted to make the skirt, measure from the waist to how long you want the skirt to be.  To find the skirt waist measurement, measure the persons waist, add how much you want it to wrap, divide this by 3 and you have the radius small circle measurement for the skirt.

(Waist measurement + wrap amount) divided by 3=the wrap skirt radius/small circle measurement.

So if my daughters waist was 20" and I wanted to have the skirt wrap 15" the total would be 35".  1/3 of 35 is about 11".  11"x3.14 (pi) will give me a measurement of 34 1/2".  This is close enough for the wrap skirt.

(The waist to floor measurement + the radius measurement) times 2= the amount of material I will need for the skirt.

So if I wanted the skirt to be 30"long, I would need 82" of material (a little less than 3 yards) by 60" wide.  

My rectangle in the instructions would be 42"x82".  I would need a waistband 4"x82".  

hjm

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2007, 03:12:47 PM »
To find how long you wanted to make the skirt, ...My rectangle in the instructions would be 42"x82".  I would need a waistband 4"x82".   
WOW!  You're good.  Thanks for the info.  Now to talk hubby into a trip to the fabric store.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2007, 04:34:22 AM »
Thanks so much!  Now I am off to try and find some 60" material online.   ;D 

Jenn :D

Offline fairflowers

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »
Ahhhh!  Just what I have been looking for the past 2 days!!!

I saw the skirt at Tznius first, then I've been searching the 'net for wrap skirts and patterns.  Finally found this board (which I had previously signed up for!) in my search results.  Thank you, a thousand times, thank you!  for posting those instructions.

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a type of skirt called a Tibetan Chupa which is also a type of wrap skirt that seems to be pretty simple to construct.  I mention it because I have problems with long flowy skirts getting caught under chairs, tripped on, and  "swishing" too much.  (I'm a student midwife and the last time I wore a full skirt on a birth it really got in my way because we had things on the floor.)

A Chupa looks like a straight or a-line skirt, but it has a doubled panel on each side (extra waistband and skirt) that fold to the back where the attached ties cross and go back to the front to tie.  So you still have the freedom of movement (the panels unfold as needed) without a full skirt that gets in the way.  The pattern I saw on the 'net was by Folkwear Patterns. 

Thanks again!

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »
I just came accros this page of instructions for a peasant skirt.  Looks simple
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=PSKIRT

Offline joy b

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
For those of you who have a Hancock Fabrics around, they frequently have patterns on sale for $.99.  I have gotten some nice skirt patterns there.  Of course, so many patterns nowdays are made to hang on the hips, so watch out.  If you are slender, you may need to modify them slightly so they don't fall off!   :-[

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2007, 03:20:48 AM »
I wonder if you can order online for that price.......I'm going to check! :D
Jenn :D

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
Speaking of skirts, has anyone here ever seen a pattern for a riding skirt? I think sometimes called a split skirt? Cattle Kate has the skirt for sale for almost $100, whoa cowgirl, can't afford that! But we ride horses a lot and would like a skirt that we could ride in and these look so cute! It's not a culotte, but sort of like one, only much prettier.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
Speaking of skirts, has anyone here ever seen a pattern for a riding skirt? I think sometimes called a split skirt? Cattle Kate has the skirt for sale for almost $100, whoa cowgirl, can't afford that! But we ride horses a lot and would like a skirt that we could ride in and these look so cute! It's not a culotte, but sort of like one, only much prettier.
I have checked those out also but you are right~~~I don't know any cow girls around here that could afford that.    They were really pretty though.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »
I think the split skirt would be hard to sew too, probably not something someone would want to undertake unless they had a good bit of experience. I don't think I'd be qualified. But I'd really like to have one!

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2007, 04:44:05 PM »
Hello

I am looking for a culotte pattern.Know where to get one?

Em

Several years back I bought a pattern for shorts that had a flare, and I lengthened it.  I sewed it together on the wrong sides first, and my daughters had a great laugh at the ridiculous looking pair of shorts I held up... it looked like a giant U.  Anyway, redid it the right way and they looked great.  The original pattern (don't have the #, sorry) was much shorter than culottes.  ~ Jeanne

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2007, 06:54:47 PM »
Do any of you have a pattern for a roomy-ankle-length skirt? Id like to know any way I can about this through either sites you could recommend or your own used patterns that I could purchase, or old skirts you are done with even!  :D 

I have a friend who put some great, detailed instructions on her website. 

Here is the link:  http://www.xanga.com/connimom

Once you get there, underneath her picture are the directions.  They are on the left hand side of the page.  It is a wrap skirt like the ones that have been mentioned on here. 

She's great and you'll love her too!!! 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

kenshelpmeet

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2007, 02:30:01 AM »
Hello

I am looking for a culotte pattern.Know where to get one?

Em

There is info on making two different kinds of culottes in the link SC mentioned (Reply #3 of this thread, see ch. 9). :)

kaira

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:33 AM »
I just wanted to share a money-saving sewing tip...

A girlfriend of mine and I have been getting together to do our sewing lately.  It is so much fun that way - we just let the 6 boys play outside and we sew skirts.  We recently have started using sheets for material with great success. The nice thing is that sheets are much wider than regular fabric and we have found several nice sheet sets for less than $1.  I line everything with inexpensive muslin so the sheets have worked really well.  It is garage sale season here so don't pass over the linens without giving it some thought.  ;D  Just wanted to pass our newest money saving tip along.

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2007, 04:13:21 AM »
Great tip!  Sheets also make great curtains  ;D
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline pdg4kids

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2007, 04:46:55 AM »
OH this is PERFECT!  I am starting to teach my daughter sewing, and a woman from church is just learning, so this link would be just right!
thanks!!
pdg4kids

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »

I have a friend who put some great, detailed instructions on her website. 

Here is the link:  http://www.xanga.com/connimom

Once you get there, underneath her picture are the directions.  They are on the left hand side of the page.  It is a wrap skirt like the ones that have been mentioned on here. 

She's great and you'll love her too!!! 

I am wondering if someone could copy the pattern from this web site for me and email it to my personal email.

My problem is that our server is filtered and they have globally blocked sites like xanga, my space, craig's list and photo bucket  >:(  (we like to keep things "careful" but now are missing out on a lot of good stuff because of the unsavory content of a portion of the people on many of these sites).

Anyway, I could really use the pattern as I have lost over 50# and need some new clothes that can shrink a bit with me before I have to get more. -- in fact, I think I could easily cut down a wrap skirt and remake it 2-3 times before it isn't worth the effort.

So... if you could copy the directions and email them to me at [email protected], I would be very grateful.  And, honest, I will not not use it in any way that would be copywrite infringement!

mom24boys

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2007, 06:34:25 AM »
Sheets!  What a great idea!  You can get some brand new sheets for $5 on sale sometime.  Can't beat that price for material.  I''e used them for curtains and old ones for making slips but never thought to use them instead of fabric by the yard for clothing.

I also have 2 sets of queen size sheets now that my hubby doesn't like but would be great for skirts (I spoiled him with some high thread count sheets and now he won't go back to the "dark ages" of cheap sheets!  What have I done to my country-boy husband?!!)

kaira

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2007, 07:48:02 AM »
Yes, $5 is a great price.  I was at Younkers the day after Thanksgiving - my annual pilgrimage to the miserable mall - and I purchased 2 sets of $30 sheets for $5 each in a gorgeous red.  One set is on a bunkbed and the other is now a skirt for me and a skirt for my friend - oh, and I got a whole bunch of really nice quality elastic out of that fitted sheet  ;D  I would also use nice drapery panels if I found some.  When I made the sheet skirts I was able to preserve the nice finished edges and I felt so resourceful.  I love being creative like that.  I think it is a great way to teach a new seamstress - not just the technique but how to be creative and save money... I hope to hear your success stories soon.

Kaira

p.s.  I have so enjoyed sewing with my friend it almost makes me want to have a sewing bee - like a quilting bee.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
http://patternsthatfityou.com/frskirtcl.htm

i wanted to post this for anyone interested.
it seemed like a neat site. with "free" classes. wish i'd learn.

i was on it trying to figure out what a 6-8 gored skirt is. still don't know! anyone?  did a bull get a hold of it?

kaira

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
Hi Kitty,

A gore skirt would be a skirt that instead of having two panels (a front and a back) maybe has 6 of 8 or 10 panels.  they are usually more narrow at the top (waist) and wider on the bottom.  The more gores the more full your skirt is - and I think prettier.  Hope that helps.

I like that website as well - it is in my bookmarks and I sent it to someone on here today via email.

:) Kaira

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »
Another nice thing about gored skirts is that they allow for a more tailored fit at the waist and hip while providing a nice full drape over the legs to the hem. So, you get the fullness of the skirt at the bottom without the bulk around the waist that would happen without the tapering effect of the gores (panels). HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

kaira

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »
Another nice thing about gored skirts is that they allow for a more tailored fit at the waist and hip while providing a nice full drape over the legs to the hem. So, you get the fullness of the skirt at the bottom without the bulk around the waist that would happen without the tapering effect of the gores (panels). HTH

Okay, okay, SC always explains things better  ;)

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? My sister and I agonize over buying shirts. We are looking for something where the sleeves are at least down to the elbow and no higher, a regular close fitting neck line, and something that isn't all tapered around the bodice, comes down long enogh, maybe to our hips - all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »
QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? . . . . . all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!

LOL! You mean without the pocket protector!? ;D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)