Author Topic: UTI? During pregnancy  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
UTI? During pregnancy
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:01:37 PM »
Hello. I am new to well tell me and I have a situation that I need some help with.
I am 29 weeks pregnant and have had symptoms of UTI since early June (when I was 24 weeks). I did a clean catch urine sample when I first had the symptoms and the results were negative for bacteria. I thought it might be a yeast infection, since I am VERY prone to them, and the burning and frequency of urination are the same as with a UTI. (I didn't do anything to treat the yeast as I was being lazy and the symptoms would come and go.) But I was still having the syptoms only a little worse last week so I went to my midwife again and did another clean catch sample and it came back negative. (I should add that the samples were not cultured because they came up negative for bateria, so they felt there was no need to culture them.So i don't know if that means I really could have a UTI but its just not showing up because no culture was done.???) But anyway, since I was still having the syptoms she prescribed a 10 day course of Macrobid just in case something was going on. My question is: Since the urine samples I gave came up negative for large amounts of bacteria (or bacteria that would cause them to do a culture on the sample), do I really need to take the antibiotic, or could this be just a really bad yeast infection? I don't want to let it go on too long if it is a UTI, because I heard it can cause preterm labor, but I DO NOT want to take antibiotics again if I don't have to. 
One more thing, I have taken one pill of the 10 day course of Macrobid. I did this before I started questionig wheather or not I really need to take them. I took one pill, and have not taken any more since. If were to have taken them like I was supposed to, I would have taken four pills so far. Does anyone know if this is harmful to stop taking them if I have already taken one? Since I have taken the one, do I need to go ahead and finish the entire course now? Thank you for any responses that you may have. I really really appreciate it! 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:43:17 PM by Tokh5301 »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: UTI? During pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:48:41 PM »
I don't know about the course of action you're already on, but I do know that cranberries are reputed to be good for both UTI and yeast.  Stock up and eat till you turn into a cranberry.  ;)  Blueberries are also good for both, but they have more sugar which might actually work against you if you have yeast. 

God Bless

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »
Don't take antibiotics if you can avoid it... instead drink twice your body weight in ounces of purified water every day; if you weigh 160 lbs, drink 80 ounces (2 1/2 quarts) of water. Put 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt in each quart and mix. You can also squeeze a little lemon or lime in each quart which will cleanse your kidneys and taste good too.

Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces - more if you can.

Don't drink anything with sugar and caffeine.

Buy some frozen blueberries and blend them up with unsweetened cranberry juice and yogurt and banana. If you have it, add propolis powder - this is very powerful at killing bacteria as well. Drink this smoothie by the 8 ounce glass as often as you can - 4 times a day until symptoms are gone for 3 days.

UTI bacteria are hard to kill - almost impossible with traditional antibiotics. You will find the infection returning again and again until you treat it naturally the way I described above.

Antibiotics can destroy your baby's forming teeth, so at all costs, avoid the antibiotics.

If it's too late and you are already taking the antibiotics, begin taking a probiotic right away (like Tummy Tune-Up) and do the Water Cure (above) anyway to help cleanse out the ill-effects of the antibiotics, and also to get rid of the UTI.

The key is to be consistent and diligent, and to continue the blueberries and water long after the symptoms are gone. I do the Water thing ALL THE TIME, especially during pregnancy as it keeps  my weight down, reduces hyper tension and water retension, and makes me feel good.

God bless, and good luck with dealing with the UTI!

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
Nearly 85% of UTI are caused by E.Coli.  Weird, huh?

Drink some cranberry juice. It produces hippuric acid in the urine which acidifies urine and inhibits the bacteria growth.  It tastes awful, but mine have disappeared within hours.  I just would drink a glass in the morning for a few days to make sure.  I have only had one, twice.  Make sure you get 100% pure cranberry juice.  Not ocean spray and nothing that is mixed with another juice.  If you can't down the juice, then capsules are a second best, but only if you drink suffiicient water with it. 
Fresh blueberries and bilberry tea are good to go with the cranberry juice. 
A good way to tell if it really is a UTI or just yeast is drink the juice.  If the pain goes away, it was a UTI, if not, it could be something else.  Good luck and happy delivery!!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »
Thank you so much for all the advice. I  have been drinking tons of water and taking cranberry capsules while I was waiting for the results of the urine test. I figured even  if it wasn't a UTI the capsules wouldn't hurt me. (3 per day at 400 mg each.) Maybe I'll start the juice instead now. My real concern was that I had taken one dose of the Macrobid when I first filled the prescription and then stopped taking it because I wanted to avoid antibiotics going to my baby. Does anyone know if this is harmful (to stop taking it if you have taken the first pill), or if since I took the first dose, now do I have to finish the whole 10 day course? Thanks so much.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:52:55 PM »
I don't know anything about microbid, but I've taken antibiotics in the past and my kids also, and I've stopped the regimin mid cycle because the culture came back negative for UTI.  I figured, the doctor was a dope for telling me to take them without the culture, but whatever, it's done. ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 03:19:25 AM »
I feel the same way about the treatment my midwife prescribed.  ::) All the labs that looked at my urine samples (I had 3 done) wouldn't even do a culture on the urine because they didn't find the amounts or types of bacteria that would indicate an infection. I don't understand why she would put me on something like that even though my UA was negative. Anyway, thanks for he advice.

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 04:21:35 AM »
Macrobid is one of the safer antibiotics.  Stopping it after one is not harmful.  The problem with stopping after starting is if you had an infection, and stopped treating it after a small hit of antibiotics, then the infection gets stronger and more resistant to treatment of that kind.  Since you are still treating for the same thing in a different (more natural) way, I'm sure it will be fine. 

I was prescribed macrobid for my length of my pregnancy after about the third "UTI"  and decided I didn't want that for my baby, and went to cranberry pills.  Unfortunately, that didn't help me, because the bacteria in my urine was caused by kidney stones traveling through my ureters.  I didn't find that out until my baby was 8 months though, so that was a lot of pain that could have been diagnosed many months earlier.  So anyway, my pathetic story is just to let you know you should keep an eye on the situation, and if things aren't getting better, ask for more searching for your problem. :)  HOpe you feel better soon!
I'm smiling! :D

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
This is the only topic I could find that was close to what I want to ask:  I think I have another bladder infection...pretty sure actually, having just had one a few weeks ago for which I took Macrobid and then drank loads of 100% unsweetened pure cranberry juice.  I just got a Beeyoutiful order this week in which I'd ordered the Cranberry Cleanse...does anyone know a safe upper limit for taking this for UTI?  I took one capsule with breakfast and another about 3 hours later...and am also drinking unsweetened cranberry juice.   Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
Bump...anyone?

I've been taking the Cranberry Power Cleanse for two days now... I took 4 or 5 capsules total yesterday, spread out by 3 hours or a little more in between each dose.  Today I've had three so far and will get in one or two more before bed.  I "think" I'm feeling a little better, definitely no worse anyway.

cecac

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 11:14:13 AM »
I do not know the answer to your question, but I did notice that Forevergirl outlines a very thourough protocol using both cranberries and blueberries with yogurt, and lots of water.  HB also noted that you may not want to use blueberries if yeast is an issue.....might you need to change to something like that instead of cranberry only, to try and get this taken care of?

Just a thought,
Cara

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
I do not know the answer to your question, but I did notice that Forevergirl outlines a very thourough protocol using both cranberries and blueberries with yogurt, and lots of water.  HB also noted that you may not want to use blueberries if yeast is an issue.....might you need to change to something like that instead of cranberry only, to try and get this taken care of?

Just a thought,
Cara

I did make that Blueberry "smoothie" this afternoon...yeast isn't an issue that I'm aware of presently and it was quite tasty.  The Cranberry Power Cleanse also contains Uva Ursi.  Guess I am mainly concerned about how much of that would be safe during pregnancy.  From what I read in an herbal book we have, it's a powerful diuretic so should be used cautiously; however, I'm drinking loads of water and unsweetened cranberry juice and hoping it is fine that way.

Thank you.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 12:04:05 PM »
In The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy Shanda recommends

Cranberry juice concentrate capsules- 1 three times daily with 8 ounces of purified water.

Buffered vitamin C or ester C- 500-1,000mg every 4 hours until infection has cleared. Maintenance - 1,000-1,500mg daily.

Uva ursi, grinddelia, pipsissewa, and couchgrass are all herbs that research has shown to be beneficial to the urinary system especially in the treatment cystitis. Uva ursi should not be used in large amounts during pregnancy due to it's uterine stimulant properties.

She also suggest adding lemon to your water to make your urine more acidic. This was more as a preventive than a treatment. She also mentioned that if symptoms don't clear up to suspect a yeast problem.

I would also try  adding raw garlic to the other things you are taking.

HTH Ella
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:15:34 PM »
Ella, thanks for the additional info.  I may try adding the garlic   :P...am already using Tummy Tuneup.  I've had yeast problems a couple of times in the past but it was very obvious and so far I hadn't noticed any signs, but the garlic wouldn't hurt, regardless.

It's funny, I was having some pretty strong (but irregular) contractions and wondering what was going on just until a couple of things made me realize it was a bladder infection.  The contractions have actually mostly stopped since starting the Cranberry Power Cleanse.  This is good since I'm only at 28 weeks.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline momof1

• Peter's mom
  • Learning
  • Peter's mom
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
I have been dealing with this UTI for over two weeks now.  I thought it was getting better and now today it is as bad as ever.  I was doing water with lemon and salt, pure unsweetened cranberry juice and blueberries.  I think I am turning into a blueberry.  Well I heard that D-Mannose is good for UTI on the Mercola website and I was wondering if anyone knows if that is good to take while pregnant?  I am in my second trimester.

Thank you

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
Okay, I'm having some weird symptoms as well. I've had my urine checked for bacteria - it's been negative everytime. But I've been having this sharp stabbing pain where you pee only when I walk. I have no burning or anything when I pee. Peeing actually helps a little, but it's like the bouncing makes it worse. Sometimes I have to stop walking because it hurts so bad. I was wondering if it was the weight of the baby or something because I first noticed it around 7-8 months and it's just getting worse and more often. Who knows, but I hope it goes away when the baby's born. I do try to drink a lot of water to help. Any suggestions??

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »
Okay, I'm having some weird symptoms as well. I've had my urine checked for bacteria - it's been negative everytime. But I've been having this sharp stabbing pain where you pee only when I walk. I have no burning or anything when I pee. Peeing actually helps a little, but it's like the bouncing makes it worse. Sometimes I have to stop walking because it hurts so bad. I was wondering if it was the weight of the baby or something because I first noticed it around 7-8 months and it's just getting worse and more often. Who knows, but I hope it goes away when the baby's born. I do try to drink a lot of water to help. Any suggestions??

I usually have this in later pregnancy too. I read that it is like shocks to your perineal floor. From the wieght of the baby. Not anything to do about it except have the baby ;D.  So I guess all you have is a few more weeks right?

Offline elizabetsy

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
I had a UTI early in preg., diagnosed about 12 weeks. U have more chance of having another if you've had one. However, UTI, as far as I know, don't cause preterm labor. If it advances into kidney infection, this can cause preterm labor, according to my preg. books. THis happened to my SIL. According to her, you'll know for sure if you have a kidney infection, much worse than UTI, with fever, etc. Since my first UTI, I've been drinking lots more, esp water. THis seems to help. I also have heard that cranberry juice is good for cleaning kidneys, as was mentioned.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 03:31:07 AM »
My first baby used to tap dance on my bladder and cause severe stabs lower in the tract.  they hurt bad enough to double me over in a store and make everyone think I was in labor.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
Okay, my OB - and midwife agreed - that it was just the weight of the baby causing the pain. I'm now looking at it with joy because everytime it hurts I think it's causing my to dilate or efface more...so that's a good thing seeing how I only have 2 weeks left!!