Author Topic: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!  (Read 4323 times)

Offline herbs girl

  • Master
  • Posts: 1227
Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:10:39 AM »
I found the childrens vitamins outside and she said she had 3.  I am like What should I do...Should I call poison control??? .becuause on the label it says that its fatal if they overdose on iron.   Each tablet has 15 mg of iron, so if she had 3, that would be 45 mg iron.



Offline Melie

  • Master
  • Posts: 1169
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
How much does she weigh?  How old is she?  What is the recommeded dosage?   I would call poisin control if it were me.

Offline Roehrmomma

  • Master
  • Posts: 1189
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:19:07 AM »
Don't wait just call.I almost lost a nephew to this.But he ate 1/2 bottle.

Praying
Em

Offline Gigi

  • Master
  • Posts: 795
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:21:50 AM »
Found this site

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic285.htm


Here's one quote:

Individuals demonstrate signs of GI toxicity with ingestions of more than 20 mg/kg, but less than or equal to 40 mg/kg. Moderate-to-severe intoxication occurs when ingestion of elemental iron exceeds 40 mg/kg. Ingestions exceeding 60 mg/kg may be lethal.

This was a study of children under 6.

Had lots of "symptoms" of things to look for, if watching for toxicity.

Offline kittyninja

  • KITTYNINJA
  • Master
  • Posts: 1275
    • blogger
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:34:48 AM »
You can call for peace of mind..and you probably did already but when my nephew (3yrs) ate 20+ children's vitamins - i called poison control and they said not to worry....the dosage of iron isn't near as much as in Adult or prenatals. They said he'd have the runs though and maybe a stomachache...well he got the runs but that's it- he was fine.

Offline herbs girl

  • Master
  • Posts: 1227
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »
Thanks so much for all the help and responses. I called the poisen control and they said even if she ate 1/3 of the bottle (Im fairly sure she didnt) it would have been ok, I think.  She said watch for signs of toxcity, or too much>>>vomiting, drowsiness, stomach ache, ect. Then call her back! Whew!  My baby just got done putting some D-con (for mice<ect) in his mouth but he ended up being ok, we werent even sure he swallowed any!  I gotta keep  a watch closer!



Offline GarlicMomma

  • Adept
  • Posts: 259
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
Re: Help!!!!!! My daughter ate 3+? chewable vitamins!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:50:45 PM »
My daughter did this too. (That is the day we found out she could open child proof tops  :o) She was snacking on them when I found her. The poison control call center told me not to worry if I thought it was 10 or less. But just to be on the safe side, not to give her another vitamin for over a week. Plus, watch for the symptoms some mentioned above.