Author Topic: Overactive Salivary Gland [Drooling]  (Read 17177 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Overactive Salivary Gland [Drooling]
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:27:02 PM »
My older son is 3 now.  He began drooling constantly at age 4 mos.  We thought it was normal for a baby.  He continued to drool and soak through multiple shirts and bibs a day until he was over 2 years old.  We still blamed it on teething and being a toddler. 

Now at age 3 all his teeth are in and he still drools like a mad man.  I've had several friends mention overactive salivary gland.  If this is his issue (I still think he just might be lazy, breathing with his mouth open, and used to it) is it indicative of a bigger problem?  I mean, do folks secrete more saliva as a result of a deficiency in something, or because something unwanted is present?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:15:10 PM by healthybratt »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Overactive Salivary Gland
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »
In infants and children this is a strong indicator for congestion. As the sinus tissues are inflamed and clogged, the glands produce more saliva. This leads to more swallowing and an effort to clear the passageways.

This type of congestion may not always produce a nasal discharge. If it is very thick, it can just sit there and cause problems. Also, it is possible for fluid to be trapped in the inner ear without there being an inner ear infection. If this is the case, the fluid will be clear and not easily seen except by an ENT.

I would try some home remedies for congestion and trouble shoot his diet for foods that are mucus producing. It is likely that he has a favorite food which he craves on a daily basis that is the culprit.

I would also take a critical look at things like his balance, coordination and enunciation. All of these can be affected by this type of congestion as it affects the inner ear and hearing.

It is also possible that he had a problem in the past that has since been resolved and left him with the habit of simply allowing the excess to drip rather than swallowing it. You describe a constant condition. He may likely have become so used to it that even after the initial stimulus went away, he was left with a maladaptive habit.

At any rate, I'd be curious to know what an ENT had to say about the structure of the sinus and its development in your little guy.  :-\ My $.02
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
Re: Overactive Salivary Gland [Drooling]
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:00:38 AM »
I gave my daughter, who has the ranula, echinecea and goldenseal.  In my research, I discovered that goldenseal has a positive effect on mucus membranes.  I gave her the tincture for about 5 days, morning and evening and her ranula decreased and hasn't swelled up again. 
http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-goldenseal.html
Goldenseal's numerous uses are attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. It soothes irritated mucus membranes aiding the eyes, ears, nose and throat.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:04 AM »
Well my honey and his dad have a milk allergy, and my son LOVES milk, which is a notorious catalyst for mucous stimulation.  But it's nonstop drool, not non stop snot, so I'm wondering how it's connected... or if there are other causes for an overabundace of saliva.  ???

Anyone?

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:28:27 AM »
The connection between congestion and excess saliva is that this is the body's way of triggering a swallowing response in order to clear congested passages. Congestion can be present without any snotty drainage coming out of the nostril. The sinus congestion can be too thick to move easily and just sit in the sinus cavity or it can drain down the throat. Either way, you will see LOTS of excess saliva production when an infant/child is congested. It's one of the easiest ways to know if a little one is having problems when they can't tell you.

There is also a possibility that there is not excess saliva, but a poor swallow reflex. I would watch carefully how well he is able to handle chewing and swallowing -- watching especially closely when he is handling watery liquids. In some children, if there is an issue with swallowing, the presentation can be an abundance of drooling.

:-\ ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:51:46 AM by SC »

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
When I was a teacher in the 1 1/2 to 3 year olds class I had a two year old who when he came to me drooled excessively. He wore a sweat band on his wrist that his mom taught him how to use. I talked to her a little bit about it and she said that it would be really bad if he was stressed. Like at the time he came to my class he had in the last couple of months come home from being at his real fathers and it had stressed him greatly, and also the teacher in his last class had treated him as if he was dumb also. After 2 months with being back in his mom's care, and my caring for him, he hardly ever needed his sweatband, and most days his mom just gave it to me in case he needed it. How is something like that caused by stress/feelings?

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »
My son is so laid back he's horizontal.  NOTHING gets a rise from him.  I'm sure it isn't stress.  Although that does make sense for some kids I've seen in preschool at the YMCA, etc.  Being away from their parents...

He does have an issues with swallowing different textures-- chokes or gags easily.  And my dad also cannot swallow LOTS of things.  We tease my dad that it's all in his mind, but there's probably soemthing to it for my Papa anyway.  I'll do some more investigating. 

The milk allergy snot thing makes sense when you explain it that way, SC.  Thanks for being patient with me.  I'll keep an eye on that, too, although there are no other signs of congestion.  I'll look deeper.  Keep y'all posted.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
There is a mouth guard called a myomunchee that can help with sensory issues in the mouth -- and difficulties with drooling. Here is a link with some photos:
http://www.teethperfect.com/

They are pricey, but they work. In the US I think you need a licensed therapist/supplier. It may be worth it to follow the links and talk to someone over the phone  ???

Offline AFFP

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
Hello:  I have a 7 year old that started drooling when he was an infant  and we thought it was because he was a baby too.  Then as he got to 2 and 3 years old we thought it was teething.  His dr. checked out everything and decided to send him to an ENT...The ENT said that some children are born with over active saliva glands.  That he would eventually learn how to swallow the extra spit.  The ENT did check and x-ray his glands and adenoids.  Every thing checked out ok.  So, after all of this it was he will eventually learn to swallow and grow out of it.  Well, I couldn't stand seeing him teased and asked why he always spits.  So, I went to a nutritionist store here in town and got to talking to the owner he told me to take him to a chiropractor. I said what?  He said he may have a pinched nerve in his neck.  I took my son the other day, and guess what he had a pinched nerve and the chiropractor adjusted him and when he cracked my sons neck it sounded like someone jumped on an empty milk jug. It was so loud.  The chiropractor said it will probably take a few more adjustments. My son also has really bad allergies nose is always plugged.  After that first visit the next day when my son woke up he said mom look I can breath through my nose, and he breathed in.  After several days we have seen a noticeable difference in the drooling.  Its not completely gone but very close.  We are hoping after a few adjustments that it will be completely gone.  I thought it was worth a try and I'm glad we did it.  My son says that he can shallow easier too.  I think it really helped him.  Hope this helps. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:41 AM »
that's awesome.  thank you for sharing.
  My favorite herb book!!