Author Topic: RED egg whites? IS THIS OKAY?  (Read 26415 times)

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
RED egg whites? IS THIS OKAY?
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:42:48 PM »
I know the health risks of store-bought eggs.  :( ::)  However, that is what I have for now.

I'm making cupcakes for my daughter's b-day party (Sunday-TODAY!), and was shocked to crack open the egg and drop this in the bowl.   :o  (Please see attached photo.)

Do I need to ditch all those eggs, since fishing out that red 'white' would be nearly impossible?  Or is this odd color an okay thing?  (And does anybody know what it means?)  ??? ???

(I'm hoping somebody is still awake that has a clue... ::)  :P )
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Nickole

Re: RED egg whites? IS THIS OKAY?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:53 AM »
I had this happen a couple times with Horizon eggs when I used to buy them.  They called and said it's hard for the scanner to "read" brown eggs as well b/c they are darker, so sometimes it misses red ones.  They sent me tons of coupons b/c like you it ruined thing I was making.  Next time, don't crack them with the others.  Crack them individually in a bowl then if they look good, pour them in the dish or with the others.  Not that this helps you though  :D.  I am not sure - I threw mine like that out, but perhaps there are some who would say when you cook the dish, it will kill any bad bacteria.  Or maybe this is harmless just gross looking.  I honestly don't know!  Sorry!   

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:59:36 AM »
That's gross. :-X

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:04:07 AM »
I just read this:

EGG WHITE--A cloudy white in a raw egg is caused by carbon dioxide and indicates freshness. As the egg ages, the carbon dioxide escapes through the pores of the egg, and the white will become less cloudy. A pinkish or greenish-blue raw egg white possibly indicates spoilage with a certain bacteria (Pseudomonas spp). We recommend not eating these eggs.

http://www.bfhd.wa.gov/edu/eggucation.php#waatdc

"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:27:53 AM »
My eggs also get cloudy whites when I store them on the top shelf in the fridge - the coldest spot in there.  I usually don't but if I am in a hurry, and that's the only place that has room.  ::)

If these were cheap store-bought eggs, I'd trash all of them.  If they were my good eggs I get from the farm, I personally would fish out the red one as best as I could and cook with the rest.  But that's just me - not recommending anything here!  I tend to trust the heat to kill any bacteria.  And the eggs I get are pricey, so that's personally what I would do.  I've seen this blood, though, twice with Horizon eggs.  That is gross.   

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:30:24 AM »
Ive had this happen a few times with eggs right from the farm.  I thought maybe it was developing allready.  I couldnt eat it, too gross looking.  I dont understand how it could mean an old egg when the eggs I get are usually only a couple days old.  Either way, it is yucky looking.
Sorry you have to through out your eggs, I hope you had some extra for making the cake.

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
The red egg is one from an egg that was successfully fertilized and has started to develop. This sometimes happens when you get eggs from the happy chickens from the farm where couples mingle. It is rare to get one from the store were almost all the eggs come from the chicken nunnery.

Sometimes I have gotten eggs that were only a few days old and a chick has already begun to develop. It only takes 21 days for a chick from birth to cracking. Here is a website that shows the development.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/virtualfarm/poultry/poultry_development.html

When I  bought my eggs from the farm, if there was only a tiny-tiny bit of development, I would add it to the mix. I would have first tried to fish your bloody one out, but may have ended up throwing them all away. When I buy from the store now, I crack all in one bowl. When I bought from the farm, I cracked each egg seperate into a cup before adding.

Hope this clucks, um, helps you.

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:05 PM »
This happened to me a few times when I worked in a restaraunt.  I immediately threw the eggs out because I was freaked out, but my mother in law later told me this was the healthiest stage of egg you can eat.   ???

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »
That looks weird.  Even if I have cracked an egg with a developing chick in it, it was the YOLK that was "discolored" never have I had the white be red like that. 

I say  "Ew" 

8)

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »
You probably already have pitched it so you don't need answers, but now I am curious!  It was just the "white" right?  Was the yolk intact?  I have also noticed that once the chick starts to develop, the yolk is runnier than the white. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:22 AM »
Call me crazy, but we eat them.  Eggs is eggs.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 05:18:14 AM »

Mmmm - red omelets.  Yummy!

So what did you end up doing, Youthful One?  We won't tell the birthday party guests.   ;)  But fess up now, lol!!!

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:36:36 AM »
Okay, okay.

I've been waiting to respond until a safe period of time has passed.  :-\

I used them.  I didn't dump the eggs, mostly because of cost.
Despite the fear that they might be contaminated by the red yolk that may or may not contain some harmful something, I went ahead and blended them all in.  I was hoping that the cooking time would kill whatever potential harm.  I did fish out a dark red stringy thing from the batter.  It was really small, but not knowing what it was, I wouldn't want somebody discovering it in their cupcake.  :o :P

Besides, I had to make a decision in the wee hours of the morning when there were only 2 other registered users online (who didn't respond).  ::)

The batter was slightly darker, but not noticeably.  And as of now, there has been no report of ill effects. (Whew!)

Considering there are 8 in our household alone, I figured by percentages we'd see or feel the effects in at least one.  ;)
THANK YOU.
That was my first inclination.  If I ever run across it again, I hope it is when we are fixing breakfast so my kids can be impressed/fascinated/grossed out.   ;D

The red egg is one from an egg that was successfully fertilized and has started to develop. This sometimes happens when you get eggs from the happy chickens from the farm where couples mingle. It is rare to get one from the store were almost all the eggs come from the chicken nunnery.

When I  bought my eggs from the farm, if there was only a tiny-tiny bit of development, I would add it to the mix. I would have first tried to fish your bloody one out, but may have ended up throwing them all away. When I buy from the store now, I crack all in one bowl. When I bought from the farm, I cracked each egg separate into a cup before adding.

Hope this clucks, um, helps you.
YES, thank you.
It relieves me. :)
And surprisingly, this one came from the store.
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Nickole

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:58:42 AM »
And surprisingly, this one came from the store.

Same here.  I only got bloody eggs from store bought eggs, brown eggs (Horizon brand).  Never from the farm.  Glad everything turned out ok!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
I have, recently, had this happen 2 or 3 times now, with my fresh eggs. We do not have a rooster(no happy hens at my place) so they were not fertilized and the eggs were at the most 3 days old. So I do not know for sure WHAT the deal was but I chuck them. I also try to always crack into another bowl or something to avoid contaminating everything. Just one, half formed chick in your cake batter (when you are 10 yrs old no less  :P) can truly change your outlook on eggs for the rest of life. Trust me, MY daughter gets the eggs on a regular basis. Yuck!
LKS

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 01:25:21 AM »
okay, LKS, all I can say is "eeeewww" but funny.  And one quick comment about the "Happy chickens"  if you have ever spent much time on the farm and um watched that process.........you'd know that the hen definitely is not the one that looks "happy."  I have always been glad I wasn't a chicken........I mean no flowers, no romance........no foreplay!  sheesh!   ;)
Sorry about the editorial, but I couldn't resist.
As I understand, sometimes when an older chicken lays an egg sometimes she willl, I don't know, strain extra hard or something, but anyway a little piece of her egg laying parts will pull away and get into the egg.  The blood isn't necessarily from the rooster, but is more likely just a little extra work from the hen that might be at the tail end of her laying season.  We have about 50 chickens and one very "happy and busy" rooster and we rarely get eggs like this, but I do tend to get them more often this time of year just before the hens are getting ready to molt.  These are more likely to happen if you have a bunch of older hens like I do, but a younger one can do it too.  As I understand, you don't have to throw it out and it is fine to eat it.......it is just a little extra chicken technically.  But I admit, they look gross and since I have such an abundance of eggs, I feed them to my dog and he doesn't seem to mind.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 03:35:03 AM »
When we get one like that, we use it if mixing in something, but for the sake of looks don't use it for a single fried egg. Never hurt any of us. :D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 06:28:09 AM »
I can tell you what it is. It's blood from a very stressed out hen. Sometimes when hens are under a lot of stress (usually from industrial laying operations) or they get frightened really bad on the farm, they can burst a blood vessel and the blood will get caught inside the egg that's forming.

A fertilized egg will have a spot in the yolk itself not blood in the white like that.

Oh, and if you want to get something like that out of a bowl of eggs, use a turkey baster to suck it out as best you can.

WR
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:32:30 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 06:45:19 AM »
We do not have a rooster(no happy hens at my place)

Well when we had chickens we had a rooster.And the hen would always get mad at him if he tried 'anything' But he always won....But they then would chase him across the yard till they pecked him!So I guess they both won.So then We had Happy hens. ;D    ???

Em

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
okay, LKS, all I can say is "eeeewww" but funny.  And one quick comment about the "Happy chickens"  if you have ever spent much time on the farm and um watched that process.........you'd know that the hen definitely is not the one that looks "happy."  I have always been glad I wasn't a chicken........I mean no flowers, no romance........no foreplay!  sheesh!   ;)

Ami H.
Good one! I agree!  ;)
LKS