† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Familial Hypercholesterolemia  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Mission Of Love

• Wide Eyed
Familial Hypercholesterolemia
« on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:49 AM »
Hello ladies (gents if there are any),

This is my first time posting on this site. It was referred by a friend of mine. I have a very interesting topic that I would like anyone's opinion (and especially knowledge) on.

I have a condition called familial hypercholesterolemia. My body makes too much LDL (bad cholesterol) and not enough HDL (good cholesterol. If I do not take statins, my cholesterol is in the 500's.  :o  Statins were good news for my family when I found out, as my grandfather and my uncle died at 40 from this hereditary condition. Now I'm finding out how dangerous statins are, but I have no choice. My body cannot function properly on it's own.

Does anyone have any wisdom on natural remedies to cholesterol that won't harm my body yet be potent enough to lower my LDL's and raise my HDL's? ???

Thanks!
Mission of Love in Utah ><>

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Familial Hypercholesterolemia
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:54:44 AM »
I have never been DX with that but high cholesterol runs very much in my family. I cant not take those stain drugs because of their awful side affects. They make me very weak, lethargic, fatigued, and more. I can not function while taking them so I went cold turkey off of them.

My cholesterol at its known highest was  somewhere around 250( I forget the exact number). I started eating lots of raw avocados daily. Like 2-3 a day/ They are good with ranch dressing or garlic and many other ways or just plain.

From what I have learned avocados are packed full of the good cholesterol  that helps fight off the bad cholesterol.

When I went back just a few months later my cholesterol had dropped from that 250ish down to 170ish without drugs all because of the avocados.

But with yours being in the 500s maybe you could do both the prescribed drugs and natural stuff at the same time to get it down where it is low enough to go off the drugs and then  just do natural? Just a thought.

There are other natural things out there that work as well ( I cant remember them off hand)  but I am really advocating avocados because of how I saw them work in me and because research shows they are good cholesterol fighters.

Here is a link to a thread on this forum with some great avocado recipes some of the ladies posted. I personally like the smashed avocado with chocolate mixed in it the best. It sounds and looks  yucky but it is good. Avocado is also good cut into chunks and put in a fresh salad.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5487.0.html

Offline Mission Of Love

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:12:26 AM »
Thanks BJ... I love avacados... It's just a little more technical than fixing my "diet". I could diet and exercise till I couldn't go anymore, and it would have little to no effect. It has to be more than that. My goal is to reduce the amount of statin I take and get it very low in addition to taking herbal supplements. I don't know if this will work or not... I keep praying for the Lord to just heal me, but I know I'm in this spot for a reason. :-\ I will keep chowin' down the avacados for sure! MMMMM!

MOL  :)

Offline Mission Of Love

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:18:45 AM »
For those having a hard time understanding what this genetic disorder is all about, here is a link that has some good info without overwhelming the noggin'  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familial_hypercholesterolemia

MOL  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:15:28 AM »
Studies have shown that high cholesterol is related to intake of the wrong kinds of fats.  I would suggest you research up on correct dietary supplements of omega3s, omega6s & the damage that can be done by ingesting trans fats.

I'd lay money that getting your fatty acids in order would do you a world of good.

There is also research to support that high carb, lowfat diets can really mess up your cholesterol levels.  You might want to take a good long look at the carbohydrates you're ingesting on a regular basis.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mission Of Love

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
Thanks healthybratt! Got all those bases covered. I take extra omega's plus I love salmon... just had some wild alaskan salmon yesterday. Ya... those "Atkins" diets don't stop with messing up your cholesterol, they move on to other organs as well. It's a rare occassion that I will have bread or white rice, etc. I try to stick to whole foods and whole grains. No box dinners (can you believe Walmart has a sign down one of their isles dedicated to that??!!) around here. Daughters have food allergies to wheat and dairy.  ;D And I thank Jesus every day for those allergies!! They really help us stay on track with foods in their original form.  ;)

BTW, I enjoyed your postings on home made "soaps" (laundry and dish). I have outlawed dish washer soap for a long time because I was convinced that the film left behind couldn't be good to ingest. duh  ::) Thanks for your input.
 8) MOL

Nickole

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »
I have these two articles in my health binder - I found them very interesting about the benefits of high cholesterol.  They also mention familial hypercholesterolemia.  And there is an interesting ratio in the second article that is used that seems to make more sense in testing your cholesterol danger.  Of course, conventional docs don't use this and think all high cholesterol is bad.  Other studies I have read disprove this theory.  Hope this helps!   

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/benefits_cholest.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/highcholesterol.html

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 06:30:42 PM »
I have these two articles in my health binder - I found them very interesting about the benefits of high cholesterol.  They also mention familial hypercholesterolemia.  And there is an interesting ratio in the second article that is used that seems to make more sense in testing your cholesterol danger.  Of course, conventional docs don't use this and think all high cholesterol is bad.  Other studies I have read disprove this theory.  Hope this helps!   

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/benefits_cholest.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/highcholesterol.html

I've read this as well, but I guess I forgot to mention it.  Thanks for picking up the slack, Nickole.  ;)

I think I tend to believe it as well.  The doc told me I had high choleterol and that I should eat low carb LOW FAT diet and I told him "ok" and then ignored him and started taking more fats  ::) .  LOL  Haven't had it tested since, but honestly, I'm not worried.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:29:24 AM »
Sometimes I can physically feel when my cholesterol is to high because my biliary system will start bothering me ( the liver, bile ducts, gall bladder- my gall bladder has been removed). I feel the pain on the right side at the bottom of the rib cage but still under the rib cage. Also the pain will be in the middle ( leaning towards the right side) of the back sort of by the right shoulder at times or right under the shoulder. I know I have bile sludge and or stones working their way threw at those times.

And if I eat to many foods to high in cholesterol  even if my cholesterol is or is not to high I will still feel the actual physical pain in my biliary system.

After I learned that the biliary system helps digest  those high cholesterol foods this made more since to me. Thats must be why if I eat to much of those foods I get pains in the biliary system. Sometimes listening to the body is good.

If I had realized and listened to my body for all those years that I had bilary system pains I might have been able to slow down or prevent the need for the gall bladder removal surgery. So for me high cholesterol is not a good thing. My grandparents had high cholesterol and ended up having heart attacks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:32:02 AM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

cecac

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:04:01 AM »
I have one idea:

Could you find out what the diet of your grandfather and/or uncle was?  Perhaps it could help you with knowing how to improve this situation.  Perhaps they were given instructions for a low fat diet?  I just think it might be good to know.

You might also want to check around here (I don't know how or I'd check for you) to see if there are any herbs that could be taken to do what you are wanting.  I think there may be many of these ladies who would be of assistance in that area.

Also, I believe that cholesterol is handled in the liver/gall bladder.  Would liver/gallbladder cleanses be effective, every so often to keep everything working in top order so that the extra cholesterol is handled?

Okay, so it was more than one thought.  Anyway, may God give you much wisdom in dealing with this condition.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 07:02:11 AM »
Dr. David Williams
Speaks Out...

It's just a matter of time before
doctors announce...
"Sorry, we were WRONG about cholesterol."

Are you turning your life topsy-turvy to lower your cholesterol? Struggling to avoid cholesterol-rich foods and shelling out big bucks for cholesterol-lowering drugs? DON'T BOTHER.

Cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease. Studies prove this beyond a doubt. In fact, more than 60% of all heart attacks occur in people with normal cholesterol levels. Your efforts and money are being wasted. You can expect doctors to announce an official reversal, but it may not come for quite a while.

Meanwhile, the REAL cause of heart disease could be gaining ground in your body. Don't let it.

Iím Dr. David Williams, and I think this is an outrage! Millions of people have been misled for decades and tricked into taking unnecessary cholesterol-lowering drugs. To make matters worse, just recently the federal government announced that people should lower their cholesterol even more. Their new guidelines call for getting LDL levels almost impossibly low!
Iíve just written a special report on the real cause of heart disease, and the only true way to safely combat this dreaded disease. Click here to get your free copy instantly.

In this report, youíll learn why cholesterol is innocent, and the real risk factor you need to know about. Plus Iíll tell you about a real solution to help keep your heart healthy for years to come Ė for just 5 cents a day!

Don't miss out! You can get your free copy of my report, "A Real Solution to Heart Disease" now, simply click here.

To your good health,
Dr. David Williams

P.S. You can finally stop worrying about your cholesterol and get on with your life. To get started now click here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:05:27 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!