Author Topic: Can I Diagnose and/or Treat a Broken Bone w/o an Xray [X-ray]?  (Read 6828 times)

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
Okay so I was unloading one of those 5 gallon buckets of paint (salvaged from the local dump only about 1/2 gallon used outof the whole can) and dropped the thing onto my foot.Yes ,in case I have never mentiones before I am the queen of all clutzs .Anyway is there anyway to tell if this footof mine is broken before going and waisting dh's hard earned money on an x-ray .If it is broken does anyone know what they do for that?Would it be casted or would they just say stay off of it for awhile ? (like that would ever be able to happen  around here not to mention the fact that now that I have this big bucket of paint I hav eto paint our living room   :D I guess I am trying to determine wether or not to have it checked out .BTW this happened 2 1/2 days ago and the swelling has gone down considerably but it still hurts like the dickens to walk on it.

YoopreMama

Re: Can I Diagnose and/or Treat a Broken Bone w/o an Xray [X-ray]?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:53:00 AM »
Ouch!  I'm sorry for you.   :(

Not sure about the diagnosis part, but some thoughts, based on our broken foot...

Wait a minute--you're herbalmama!  :o You know about arnica and comfrey... ::)  ;D

I think I'd try contrast soaks (ice cold water, then lukewarm water, alternately for as long as you can stand it).  I'd stay off of it if there was pain w/ weightbearing...glad the swelling has gone down...we had a splint fitted for our broken bone (ankle), but it was ill-fitting, so we ditched it.  Comfrey accomplished healing so quickly! 

I'm sure someone will post soon w/ some helpful ideas.   ;)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:38:52 AM »
would you still be able to walk on it if it was broken?  Ive broken my ankle before and could not walk on it, just would not take any weight, even with the pain. 
I know elevation and ice and ....well, you know all this I am sure.  can you feel any of the bones loose or scraping?
A friend of mine got his foot crushed (he works at Disney as a ride tech and someone turned on the ride while he was working and the 'vehicle' came down on his foot while he was walking...ya know, heel up, toe down, and the thing came onto his heel.) He had MANY surgeries.  But, come to think of it, he was still 'walking' when it was broken, so I guess you can walk on a  broken foot.
anyway, I hope you foot gets better on its own without dr $ intervention

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:03:36 AM »
The thread linked below has lots of info about treating broken bones.  Also, Dr. Christoper's original Bone, Flesh & Cartilage (B,F & C) formula is supposed to do wonders when taken in large quantities. Someone recently told me that her DD broke her arm & she had the girl take a handful of the pills each time it hurt. She ended up taking a bottle a day for a few days & then tapered down as the pain lessened. The arm was totally healed in 2 1/2 weeks:o The original B,F & C does contain comfrey so you will have to decide for yourself whether to take it or not.

Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
I have broken a bone in my foot.  At first I just thought it was a bruise, so I walked around on it for 3 days.  After this, the break caused enough inflammation, that the area became very hot and inflamed, so I went to the ER to have it xrayed.  It was a non-displaced fracture of the 5th metatarsal.  They gave me the option of a cast or a shoe.  It was my left foot and I drove a manual transmission at the time, so I opted for the shoe.  I was also instructed to use crutches and wear the shoe for 6-8 weeks. 

I've also broken 2 toes and they will only tape and prescribe crutches and tape for up to 8 weeks.

If the break is displaced, the bone will need to be set.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
Ok, I am thinking that I might have broken my foot on Friday. I've been on bedrest 12 weeks already, and I only get up to go to the bathroom and from the bed to the couch. But my friend who is going to stay with me for 5 months went home to visit her family, and the ladies of my church are helping. A friend decided to take me to her house and let me do bedrest there. I just had to walk to and from the car.

It went well but on the way back to the car to come home, I missed a 2 inch ledge and fell. I had something in my hands and couldn't catch myself, so I tried to use my foot. I hit toes first, (the bottom of my toes, as if I were trying to stand tippy toe) and all my weight hit my foot.

My first concern was for my baby, but surprisingly, it didn't cause a single contraction. But my foot is another story. It has been 3 days and I still can't step on it.... I am thinking thaat I may have fractured my 1st metatarcal, which is what might hppen to a soccer player if he kicked the ball tooo hard. It is halfway between the big toe and my ankle. I haven't gone in to get it checked. I don't want e-rays, if it is not an emergancy, and a trip to the ER coud put me into labor, and I am only 24 weeks.

Anyway, after reading up online, I am pretty sure that the only thing they would do is have me stay off of it. I am doing that already, lol. I guess bedrest is good time to do something like that, huh? it doesn't hurt much, just a dull ache, if it is left completely alone. Bumping or jarring is a major no-no. I can't put any weight on it, but I can hobble to the bathroom using the outer edge of my foot, and that is pretty tolerable.

What do you think? Am I okay to wait this out? It should be better long before bedrest is over. And I am thinking that it is just a hairline fracture. It doesn't need setting or anything.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:45 AM »
Mexmarr,

You could do comfrey soaks like we did for my mom when she tripped while walking down steps & we think she fractured her foot. I posted about it here:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3502.msg48916.html#msg48916

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »
I would probably also immobilize it if I were you.  Since you can't see exactly what is going on in there w/o an x-ray, you don't want to risk knocking it out of aligment on the chance that it isn't a hairline fracture and having no choice about whether or not to go to the doc.  can you get an ace wrap or borrow an immobilization boot from someone?  One more concern I just thought of too--since you are
a)preggers,
b)on bed rest AND
c)keeping the leg/foot as immobile as possible, you will probably want to be doubly vigilant about watching for a possible blood clot.
[/color]
Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:55:02 AM by jhandrh »

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »
Mexmarr,

You could do comfrey soaks like we did for my mom when she tripped while walking down steps & we think she fractured her foot. I posted about it here:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3502.msg48916.html#msg48916

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

My comfrey was shippd today.  :)  I hope it helps!  My foot seems to hurt slightly less than it did, so that is a good sign.  There is not a speck of swelling or discoloration on it.  But I still can't put any weight on it.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:36:49 AM »
I second keeping it immobile. Do they sell any foot braces at the pharmacy? That would help minimize pain from bumps & also make it easier to walk on. The comfrey should be a big help.
Hope it feels better soon!

LKS

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »
In your case you seem pretty sure which bone is causing trouble, so you should be fine with herbs and one of those air-cast shoes, considering that you are on bed rest and not likely to overuse it.  I second the clot warning though.   (Good thinking!) 
However, for all those other people who check this post just to justify their desires to avoid doctors....          ;)
  I have worked for 8 orthopedic surgeons and after seeing their techniques I don't really like the idea of people messing with my bones.  So, every time I have broken a toe/food bone (about 6??) I have reset and immobilized them myself.  It never works 100% and I always end up with stiffness or aches long-term.  Once, I even purposefully re-broke my big toe so that I could try again after realizing that it had not properly healed.   I do not recommend my methods to anyone who is brave enough to allow a doctor to help out.  :D Feet are very important for the rest of the body's functions because they so drastically affect the back.  ~L

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
Hello Ladies,
My son fell out of a tree and we're pretty sure he broke his arm. We were wondering if we could wait till morning to go to Urgent Care instead of going to the ER tonight. If it is possible to wait it would be nice to save a few hundred dollars. I guess a calous may be an issue. Plus we know they aren't going to set it anyway and refer us to an Orthopedic Surgeon, so what would be the point is our idea of things.
Are their any non-professional opinions out there?
THanks Tennille

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 02:37:08 PM »
Tynnille, My parents have left a greenstick fracture overnight. In this case the swelling needed to go done before they could set it anyway per doctor's advice at the time. Ice packs and tylenol overnight. Also immobilize the area.
Compound fractures where the bone is visible should be treated immediately. Joint breaks immediate attention. Anything that looks to have internal bleeding or serious damage needs taken care of to prevent tissue death.
IMO waiting overnight is a decision you have to weigh carefully but could be done.
God bless and keep you!