Author Topic: Essential Oil (EO) Diffusers: recommendations and uses  (Read 7134 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
Essential Oil (EO) Diffusers: recommendations and uses
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:59 AM »
I'm looking to get an essential oil diffuser.  All I know is that my local store has:

+ 2 varieties in soapstone to be used with a carrier oli & warmed with a tea light candle

+one marketed as a 'nursery diffuser' that plugs into an outlet and seems similar to the Glade Plug-in fresheners

+and 2 that are in the $50+ variety that I couldn't bring myself to buy 'cuz I just plain don't know what I'm looking for.

What can you tell me about diffusers?  How do you use them?  How do I cross the border between "schmancy air freshner" to "medicinal device"?  I am sure there is a difference, right?
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Essential Oil (EO) Diffusers: recommendations and uses
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:52:45 AM »
I cannot answer any of your questions; however, if I want to use aroma therapy, I just resort to oils on cloths (eucalyptus), oils in baths, or I've been known to throw a few drops in a coffee cup full of boiling hot water.  The coffee cup method works so well, that I can leave it in the kitchen at the far end of the house and it will smell up the entire first floor of the house.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:54:27 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mothers Medicine Cabinet

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
I've learned that col-air diffusing is the best when using a therapeutic-grade essential oil. Heat can reduce some if not all the theraputic properties found in essential oils.

Inhalation and diffusing essential oils are one of the most pleasant and effective ways of using oils. The Young Living aromatic diffuser is the simplest way of putting the oils into the air for inhalation. The diffuser disperses the oils into a micro-mist that remains suspended for several hours- effectively reducing bacteria, fungus and mold, while refreshing the air with natural fragrance. Diffusing releases oxygenating molecules, antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic properties as well as negative ions the kill bacteria. When diffused, essential oils they have been found to reduce air-born chemicals, bacteria, and metallics in the air.

You can also use a tissue, cotton ball, handkerchief, towel, etc in hotel air vents, car vents, or even the vents at home or work. The oils are terrific on the sheets and pillowcases, as well. Oils can also be put in vaporizers and humidifiers. However, it is important to remember that heat will reduce some of the therapeutic benefits. Young Living provides different colors of cold-air diffusers :)

Young Living is a private company like the Sam's Club. one must be a member to order from them. To become a customer/member, someone must refer you. If you'd like to order from Young Living I'll provide a link below so you can order from the company yourself, and they will provide you with your own member number, so you can order from them at any time. https://www2.youngliving.com/signup/?sponsorid=859729&enrollerid=859729

My husband and I have been using Young Living's essential oils for over two years now. This company is well trusted in the wellness/marketing industry and my husband and I have grown to love it. They plant, cultivate, and distill their own organic plants which product the oils they market. They don't use pesticides nor herbicides on their plants.This company actually care for people and are not afraid to learn or educate people concerning health.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
I was wondering if i could put eucalyptus oil in a little personal humidifier that is also an ionizer? it doesn't have pads to clean.
thanks
kittyninja

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
  BUMP  umm herbalmom...you usually have all the answers!! ??? ;D i really got get this thing set up and i probably shoulda asked a coupla hours ago but i didn't!
I was wondering if i could put eucalyptus oil in a little personal humidifier that is also an ionizer? it doesn't have pads to clean.
thanks
kittyninja

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
I don't know. Ions tend to take apart scent molecules so it may break down the eucalyptus. Does it have a medicine cup for putting in Vicks or something like that? If it has a cup then you can use eucalyptus in the cup. If it doesn't have a place to put Vicks or ess oil then you can't. If you can't use the eucalyptus in it, then you will have to go with one of the other methods of diffusing ess oils. Don't forget to use a chest rub & apply it to the bottom of his feet as well. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

BUMP  umm herbalmom...you usually have all the answers!! ??? ;D i really got get this thing set up and i probably shoulda asked a coupla hours ago but i didn't!
thanks
kittyninja

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »
obeekabee thbanks!!

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »
I, too, recommend the cold diffuser that Young Living sells. We use their oils and they are the BEST! I found a website americanaromatherapy.com where you can get the same diffuser that Young Living sells for much cheaper. We got a 4 pack, and ended up selling 2 and keeping 2 for ourselves. They are great. When you need to get a smell out of the house, I run it. If we're having someone over and we didn't know they were sick, we run it with Purification (an essential oil blend that kills bacteria and viruses in the air). You only have to run it about 1/2 an hour, and it will kill the germs in the air, preventing you from getting sick. This has worked very well for us many times.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
I, too, recommend the cold diffuser that Young Living sells. We use their oils and they are the BEST! I found a website americanaromatherapy.com where you can get the same diffuser that Young Living sells for much cheaper. We got a 4 pack, and ended up selling 2 and keeping 2 for ourselves. They are great. When you need to get a smell out of the house, I run it. If we're having someone over and we didn't know they were sick, we run it with Purification (an essential oil blend that kills bacteria and viruses in the air). You only have to run it about 1/2 an hour, and it will kill the germs in the air, preventing you from getting sick. This has worked very well for us many times.

Which diffuser did you get?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 03:41:36 AM »
The Aroma-Pro.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:47 PM »
I've learned that col-air diffusing is the best when using a therapeutic-grade essential oil. Heat can reduce some if not all the theraputic properties found in essential oils.

Inhalation and diffusing essential oils are one of the most pleasant and effective ways of using oils. The Young Living aromatic diffuser is the simplest way of putting the oils into the air for inhalation. The diffuser disperses the oils into a micro-mist that remains suspended for several hours- effectively reducing bacteria, fungus and mold, while refreshing the air with natural fragrance. Diffusing releases oxygenating molecules, antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic properties as well as negative ions the kill bacteria. When diffused, essential oils they have been found to reduce air-born chemicals, bacteria, and metallics in the air.

You can also use a tissue, cotton ball, handkerchief, towel, etc in hotel air vents, car vents, or even the vents at home or work. The oils are terrific on the sheets and pillowcases, as well. Oils can also be put in vaporizers and humidifiers. However, it is important to remember that heat will reduce some of the therapeutic benefits. Young Living provides different colors of cold-air diffusers :)

Young Living is a private company like the Sam's Club. one must be a member to order from them. To become a customer/member, someone must refer you. If you'd like to order from Young Living I'll provide a link below so you can order from the company yourself, and they will provide you with your own member number, so you can order from them at any time. https://www2.youngliving.com/signup/?sponsorid=859729&enrollerid=859729

My husband and I have been using Young Living's essential oils for over two years now. This company is well trusted in the wellness/marketing industry and my husband and I have grown to love it. They plant, cultivate, and distill their own organic plants which product the oils they market. They don't use pesticides nor herbicides on their plants.This company actually care for people and are not afraid to learn or educate people concerning health.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Why are diffusers so expensive? I love EOs but they are expensive, and I never know which to try- I want ALL of them LOL

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:37:27 AM »

Why are diffusers so expensive? I love EOs but they are expensive, and I never know which to try- I want ALL of them LOL

I also can't afford all of the EOs that I want thru Young Living.  I order most of mine mainly from www.thecatalog.com as they are pretty affordable there.  I don't think I am missing too much of the quality as I do use them primarily in salves and other preparations, I don't generally do diffusion.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 05:18:10 AM »
Try using a coffee mug full of hot water.  Just throw in a drop or two of your favorite oil and the whole house smells yummy. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
I want to buy some EOs to make my house smell yummy.  My dh really likes the Home Sweet Home from Yankee Candles.  I was going to start with cinnamon, but I was wondering if any of you do mixes and what are some of your favorites? 
Thanks!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »
Have any of you looked at the nebulizer from Mountain Rose Herbs?

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/diffuser.html

It is more affordable, but still more expensive than a heat diffuser.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
I saw that nebulizer, but what caught my eye was the soapstone tea light diffuser listed under it in the catalog. It was cheap, and a tea light lasts four hours (their soy tealights) I love the ambiance of candle light, but can never afford good candles. So, the tea light diffuser is a good alternative.

I may try it.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »
Does anyone know anything about reed diffusers?  Are they effective?

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »
Does anyone know anything about reed diffusers?  Are they effective?
A friend of mine gave me one of these about a year ago.   I don't think much of it.   Unless you are sitting right beside it you can't smell it at all.   Not worth the money in my opinion. 
 ::)
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »
Does anyone know where to get some kind of ess oil diffuser that plugs right into the outlet that's similar to an Airwick in style? It's for the bathroom at DH's work so it has to be a small plug in unit, NOT something that sits on the counter, etc. It also can't be the type that has the little pads in it you have to frequently add more ess oil to b/c no one will keep up with it & they will go back to the Airwick type.

I may be working there myself (different job than DH, obviously) & when I use the bathroom, it's hard to breathe b/c I'm sensitive to synthetic scents not to mention all the other chemicals in the Airwick type fresheners. It bothers DH as well but he's not on site all that often so it's much less of a problem for him. I will be working on site however, so it's a much bigger problem for me.

There's no way that will go w/out a freshener in there b/c it's a small, family owned company. They all use scented products, reg cleaners, etc & don't understand (or want to know) that the chemicals used in stuff like that are toxic.   

If I pay for it, it works & it's no more trouble than the Airwick type plug ins they will go for it but I have to find one first. Any suggestions?

TIA Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
I just got one from iherb and one for my vehicle.  here is a link-

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=-7267225854854100147&at=0

I just got it, so I haven't used it yet.  I think you have to add essential oils often.  I have seen them at other places as well.

HTH, Tammy

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
Thanks, Tammy.

I can get something similar at my local HFS.

Unfortunately, they won't use it in the bathroom b/c they won't want to mess with adding oils to the pad. What I need is something that has a BOTTLE that I can fill with the ess oil & it will steadily diffuse the oil so it only needs refilled when the bottle runs out, just like the Airwick types. Even if it needs refilled twice a week either DH or I can do it but if it needs done a few times a day it isn't going to happen & they will go back to Airwick.  :P

Hopefully, someone has already designed a diffuser like what I'm talking about & I just have to find it.

Thanks. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 05:32:56 AM »
If you can find a high shelf in the bathroom, I really like my reed diffuser.  You only have to fill it 3 times a month and it works really well, but it's not a plug in and you do need some counter/shelf space.

This is the one I got for Christmas.
http://www.ameliasboutique.com/images/AlmOrg.bmp

Here's one from sfherbs
http://www.sfherb.com/store/reed-diffuser-supplies,category.asp

Here's at least one site with info on how to make your own.
http://aromatherapyencyclopedia.blogspot.com/2008/08/essential-oil-reed-diffusers.html

Here's another one.
http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/Reed_Diffusers_s/138.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_4484361_make-reed-diffusers.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:43:13 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 12:23:16 PM »
Thanks, Tammy.

Unfortunately, they won't use it in the bathroom b/c they won't want to mess with adding oils to the pad. What I need is something that has a BOTTLE that I can fill with the ess oil & it will steadily diffuse the oil so it only needs refilled when the bottle runs out, just like the Airwick types. Even if it needs refilled twice a week either DH or I can do it but if it needs done a few times a day it isn't going to happen & they will go back to Airwick.  :P

Hopefully, someone has already designed a diffuser like what I'm talking about & I just have to find it.

Thanks. 

I wonder if you can just refill the airwick one with real essential oils?  I have never had one, but maybe you could figure out how to fill it.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
Does anyone know where to get some kind of ess oil diffuser that plugs right into the outlet that's similar to an Airwick in style? It's for the bathroom at DH's work so it has to be a small plug in unit, NOT something that sits on the counter, etc. It also can't be the type that has the little pads in it you have to frequently add more ess oil to b/c no one will keep up with it & they will go back to the Airwick type.

I may be working there myself (different job than DH, obviously) & when I use the bathroom, it's hard to breathe b/c I'm sensitive to synthetic scents not to mention all the other chemicals in the Airwick type fresheners. It bothers DH as well but he's not on site all that often so it's much less of a problem for him. I will be working on site however, so it's a much bigger problem for me.

There's no way that will go w/out a freshener in there b/c it's a small, family owned company. They all use scented products, reg cleaners, etc & don't understand (or want to know) that the chemicals used in stuff like that are toxic.   

If I pay for it, it works & it's no more trouble than the Airwick type plug ins they will go for it but I have to find one first. Any suggestions?

TIA Blessings ~herbalmom 

Bumping this thread & my question. I didn't end up working the job but everyone at DH's work is always passing some bug or another around & I know that the windowless bathroom is one of the ways illness gets passed around there. Since ess oils are also anti viral it would be a big help.

I have thought about the reed diffuser that HB wrote about but I know they would go for a plug in type much better so I'm still hoping someone knows of one. TIA.

Thanks, Tammy.

Thanks.

I wonder if you can just refill the airwick one with real essential oils?  I have never had one, but maybe you could figure out how to fill it.

I thought about this as well but since ess oils can eat through many plastics I'm afraid it would leak- which would then be a huge fire hazard.  :o :o

Thanks blessings ~herbalmom

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
There is one here maybe at the bottom of the page:
http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-diffusers-burners.html

This site was just one of the first Google hits I got so I don't know the company or anything at all.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
Hey HerbalMom!
I've been ordering from this wonderful company   http://www.birchhillhappenings.com/ 
Their essential oils seem to be really great to me so far, and I love their blends.  I've not ordered anything other than oils, but they offer a ton of different diffusers.... just not 'exactly' what you were looking for...
Electric diffusers or plug in diffusers heated with a bulb:   http://birchhillhappenings.com/warmers.htm
Electric or battery powered diffusers:   http://birchhillhappenings.com/heatfree.htm

If you sign up for their newsletter they will send you discount codes.  The current one for this week is 'pumpkin' with the discount either 5% or 10% based upon how much you spend.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 02:30:09 AM »
http://www.makes-scents.com/Frosted_Glass_Plug_In_Oil_Warmer_p/owk-002.htm

Would this work?  I know I've seen a different version with a refillable screw in glass bottle, but I can't find it.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »
OK...even cheaper and more widely available:
http://www.epinions.com/content_222174088836
these have glass bottles that the oils go into.

And here is a handy little article that tells how to refill commercial type oil warmers and diffusers with your own oils.  They also recommend ones that are easy to refill!
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-Air-Freshener-Refills
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »
They article is talking about using FRAGRANCE oils, not ess oils. It does give a link to directions for making what the article calls 'ess oils' but what it is in reality is scented oil. Take a carrier oil, steep herbals in it, then strain. I mention that b/c I think putting straight ess oils into one of those would still be a fire hazard.

Someone in the comments though did recommend using safflower oil b/c it's thin & adding ess oil to it. So that might work well.

Has anybody here worked out a method with true ess oils?

Offline Mom2EandEm

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
Do not heat your essential oils!  It is not good for them.  You should invest in a nebulizer-type of diffuser.  You can find them online.  They are not cheap, but they are amazing.  I have gotten mine through Be Young Essential Oils.  A nebulizer-style diffuser sprays micro particles of the oils into the air.  You only need to have it on for a few minutes to smell (and gain) the affects.  You can use it to not only scent your home, but to disperse the benefits of the oil into your air (lemon for purifing, eucalyptus for opening breathing passages, etc).